Great Gonzo!

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Scott Kellogg
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Great Gonzo!

Post by Scott Kellogg »

DCC inspires in me the same sense of wonder as when I first encountered the Arduin Trilogy. Everything is great gonzo over-the-top and larger than life. It's got a strong dash of Michael Moorcock as well in the patrons and Law versus Chaos axis. I am reminded just a bit of MAR Barker's Swords and Glory rules, too. Every spell had numerous versions which grew in power as you progressed along the chart. And last but not least, Great Cthulhu lurks every nook and cranny.

So, Arduin, Moorcock, Tekumel, and Cthulhu. I love this game!
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Re: Great Gonzo!

Post by Ravenheart87 »

Scott Kellogg wrote:So, Arduin, Moorcock, Tekumel, and Cthulhu. I love this game!
But... But... There are no funky races and crazy classes and... Oh well, maybe I'm going to write 'em...
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
Scott Kellogg
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Scott Kellogg »

Aw come on now, the book is already huge :)

I'm thrilled that the game is currently rooted in the basic D&D archetypes, since it will be really easy to expand. That being said, there are several gonzo monsters in the book. I want to see my players get more out of less when it comes to class/race. I'm not sure how my game will evolve, as I intend to run the RAW and let the dice fall where they may. I've grown accustomed to low character death rates in extended campaigns. I'd like to run DCC at a game shop occasionally for whomever wants to play in addition to my home groups. I want to run several groups in the same city and dungeon environment, and let each group affect the other's plot lines.
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

Scott Kellogg wrote:I'm thrilled that the game is currently rooted in the basic D&D archetypes, since it will be really easy to expand.
Maybe because Basic D&D never appeared in my country and thus we don't have the nostalgia factor, but most people here aren't really into the basic D&D archetypes and race as class. Of course it's easy to solve it and I'm sure I'm going to run the game a try the way it is for a while before doing anything with it, but I would've been more satisfied, if eg. the warriors get alignment dependant bonuses like thieves.

Still, it's a fucking awesome game. :)
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
Scott Kellogg
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Scott Kellogg »

I completely understand your point of view and have enjoyed games with a plethora of races and classes to choose from.

The archetypes don't trigger nostalgia in me, seeing as I enounted AD&D, Call of Cthulhu, Empire of the Petal Throne, and Arduin all about the same time. What I like about them is that it encourages roleplaying beyond the archetype, rather than legislating what your "type" into increasingly granular classes and races. I point the finger at Unearthed Arcana for proliferating this trend. I am, however, in no way wishing to engage in edition wars. I just like the simplicity of the basics.

The great thing about DCC is that it's very easy to port your favorite class/race/magic item/spell/monster/kitchen sink.
Karaptis
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Karaptis »

I don't know, some of the old modules seem to be a cakewalk thus far. I cannot wait to throw an NPC spellcaster at the party. I await the adventures by Goodman and the 3PPs. They look awesome and sound like a real challenge.
Karaptis
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Karaptis »

By old I meant old DnD modules.
Scott Kellogg
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Scott Kellogg »

Holy thread resurrection, Batman!

After taking six months off of gaming to completely restructure my life, I'm back to gaming. I wrote a homebrew funnel, and was so inspired that a larger setting has blossomed from it. I'm fixated on the World Tour belt buckle, so I'm running public games at the FLGS as well as two different groups at home. DCC RPG is the game for me. It's irreverant enough to keep my interest.

Return to “DCC RPG General”