Mystery Map Adventure Design Competition

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

headspice
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: Mystery Map Adventure Design Competition

Post by headspice »

Hey Joe, I live in Ventnor, NJ, the next shore town south of Atlantic City. Right now we're waiting for Hurricane Sandy. We've evacuated to stay w/ family inland and should be safe. The past 3 days have been all about Hurricane prep (I run a boatyard near Ocean City) and a full day of prep for my own home on Saturday. I've taken some time today, since we're just hanging around riding out the storm, to complete my entry, but I have 2 problems:
1) The map needs to be inked and my pens are home. I can use ball point but it'll suck compared to what I would have completed.
2) I'm concerned about getting the scan on the computer here. This is ancient equipment I'm working with here. No wifi here so anything from my laptop isn't going to get sent.

I'm going to do everything I can to get this submitted, but if it doesn't work I probably won't have access AND time until Friday. Is there any chance that this competition will be extended due to the storm affecting millions of people? Surely out of 10,000,000 someone other than me was planning on submitting but hasn't yet.
:wink:
Submit to NECROPANTSED, A Geek Grimoire of Frostbitten, Grim Musics and Forsaken Games Worshipped by Middle Aged Teens.
http://necropantspublishing.blogspot.com/
Drance
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Drance »

Mr. Goodman, I just wanted to confirm that you received my entry (sent to you today, 10/29). My name is Anthony Simeone. I had to resend my entry email, so there are two emails from me in your inbox. Please use the email with "(resend)" in the subject line. Thank you, and thanks very much for holding this contest!
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Either one will work.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Kruvil
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Kruvil »

How do we know if our email submission was received?

Thanks,
Charlie
Jobe Bittman
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Jobe Bittman »

Submission sent! Good luck everybody!
headspice
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by headspice »

Hurricane Sandy couldn't stop me from submitting my entry after all.
Sign, sealed and delivered.
Good luck to everyone!
Submit to NECROPANTSED, A Geek Grimoire of Frostbitten, Grim Musics and Forsaken Games Worshipped by Middle Aged Teens.
http://necropantspublishing.blogspot.com/
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Thanks to everyone who made a submission! We have a number of very, very good entries. Making the final decision will take some serious deliberation. Time to start mulling over all the great adventure ideas. It's amazing how many cool ideas can come from one little map!
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Cool thing is, you can always take the good ideas from non winners and turn them into something later on. I'm sure some of us amateurs would work on the cheap, too (navy3/4sleeveTshirtCOUGHCOUGH).
Drance
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Drance »

beermotor wrote:Cool thing is, you can always take the good ideas from non winners and turn them into something later on. I'm sure some of us amateurs would work on the cheap, too (navy3/4sleeveTshirtCOUGHCOUGH).
Indeed, the Mystery Map Adventure Design Competition web page states: "There is only one winner, but strong second-place submissions may also be commissioned for separate publication, at the discretion of the judges."

Exercise that discretion, judges! :D
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

I think I also owe a "thanks" to the judges! They are hard at work reading and reviewing the final round of submissions as I type this. It's not easy choosing the best among a field of strong entries. Thanks Aldo, Erol, Stefan, Harley, Mike and Doug! The world awaits your decision. :)
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Paceman
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Paceman »

I would like to thank the judges for allowing me to submit my entry a few days late after Hurricane Sandy did d1000 damage to my village. You guys are a class act - thanks again and good luck to everyone!

Respectfully,

B.Pace AKA the Paceman

:mrgreen:
tithian
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by tithian »

I just wanted to suggest a free pdf of the top 10 runners up! Then we can pick the adventure we most prefer or best fits our campaign, or we can combine them all into a super-adventure.
Relaxo
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Relaxo »

tithian wrote:I just wanted to suggest a free pdf of the top 10 runners up! Then we can pick the adventure we most prefer or best fits our campaign, or we can combine them all into a super-adventure.
+1

Are the judges close to a decision? the suspense is ... suspenseful.
IronWolf
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by IronWolf »

Relaxo wrote:
tithian wrote:I just wanted to suggest a free pdf of the top 10 runners up! Then we can pick the adventure we most prefer or best fits our campaign, or we can combine them all into a super-adventure.
+1

Are the judges close to a decision? the suspense is ... suspenseful.
On G+ tonight they said this:

"Finishing up the last of round of the Mystery Map judging by this weekend. There are some really, REALLY amazing submissions."
Relaxo
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Relaxo »

Sweet!
I'm sure it was a lot of work.
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

It really is a lot of work. There are some great submissions. Now that the judges have finished their "judgments," the real debate begins...

I do agree with the suggestion of making some of the runners-up available in some form or another. That's a good idea (and warranted, given the quality of what we've seen). Not sure yet exactly how to do it, but consider the suggestion noted...
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Relaxo
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Relaxo »

How about pdfs of the top 15 to all the entrants?
(that way I can see, in fine detail, all the ways the other ones were better than mine, LOL)

Seriously, something like the 1 page dungeon contest perhaps.
Paceman
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Paceman »

goodmangames wrote:It really is a lot of work. There are some great submissions. Now that the judges have finished their "judgments," the real debate begins...

I do agree with the suggestion of making some of the runners-up available in some form or another. That's a good idea (and warranted, given the quality of what we've seen). Not sure yet exactly how to do it, but consider the suggestion noted...
That would be cool. Especially considering it is for Free RPG day - the more ideas/adventures the better in terms of inspiring others involved in the hobby.
QuentinTheTroll
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by QuentinTheTroll »

If you can afford the printing (and the extra payment to the writer/designers) for the Free RPG, it would be cool to put the alternate maps, as is (rough as they may be) with the outlines on the back in an appendix. I'm thinking you only need 2 or 3 of the alternatives to show the range of what was developed. Maybe you could have a link in the book to a page of a few more.

I know you'd have about half the folks just happy to have their stuff published by Goodman, and the other half would expect some sort of professional compensation, so that could just end up being a headache, unless you've got it in the budget to compensate everyone you highlight (aside from the contracted designer, obviously).

Anyway, it would be fun to see the best submissions somehow, since they can't be published anywhere else.
IronWolf
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by IronWolf »

QuentinTheTroll wrote:If you can afford the printing (and the extra payment to the writer/designers) for the Free RPG, it would be cool to put the alternate maps, as is (rough as they may be) with the outlines on the back in an appendix. I'm thinking you only need 2 or 3 of the alternatives to show the range of what was developed. Maybe you could have a link in the book to a page of a few more.
That is sort of a cool idea! Sort of a "Two Page Dungeon" instead of the "One Page Dungeon". Put the map on one side and you get the back side of the map to fit our encounters into. So they'd be less fleshed out than the main adventure, but provide a strong framework for other adventures.
Relaxo
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Relaxo »

IronWolf wrote:
QuentinTheTroll wrote:If you can afford the printing (and the extra payment to the writer/designers) for the Free RPG, it would be cool to put the alternate maps, as is (rough as they may be) with the outlines on the back in an appendix. I'm thinking you only need 2 or 3 of the alternatives to show the range of what was developed. Maybe you could have a link in the book to a page of a few more.
That is sort of a cool idea! Sort of a "Two Page Dungeon" instead of the "One Page Dungeon". Put the map on one side and you get the back side of the map to fit our encounters into. So they'd be less fleshed out than the main adventure, but provide a strong framework for other adventures.
This is a great idea!
Maybe the #1 adventure gets the full treatment, then #2 thru 3 or 4 (depending on page count) get the map and 1000 word synopsis (minus the required blurb) published also... and the top 5 or 10 are made available as pdf downloads for free. This would be win win win!

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'd be thrilled to have mine selected in any capacity just to see it in a "real" publication. :D
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Suspense rolls: natural 20, 18 on crit table 5, blow destroys target's face, can no only make wet, gurgling sounds...

blurp, glarp, plop plap glurgle splorp!
Paceman
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Paceman »

beermotor wrote:Suspense rolls: natural 20, 18 on crit table 5, blow destroys target's face, can no only make wet, gurgling sounds...

blurp, glarp, plop plap glurgle splorp!
You can say that again :D
Drance
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Drance »

Soooo...I wonder how things are going :-) Suspense is killing me!!!
ssheets
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by ssheets »

Any information on the contest? I thought maybe I missed an announcement somewhere!

Return to “DCC RPG General”