will there be a Book of Patrons?

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Outsiders68
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Re: will there be a Book of Patrons?

Post by Outsiders68 »

No hard feelings, just drives me and my team to deliver the perfect product for you all.
Galadrin
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Galadrin »

Deleted post.
Last edited by Galadrin on Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

Outsiders68 wrote:No hard feelings, just drives me and my team to deliver the perfect product for you all.
I like the cut of your jib, mister. 8)
bholmes4
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by bholmes4 »

ragboy wrote: I'm also involved in this project, and you and I are of a mind. I've started a patron generator -- really more of an idea generator -- that gets you to patron power level, "sphere," Invoke Patron results, and availability of patron spells. The rest is left up to the imagination of the GM -- but running through a few of them, I genned some parameters in 30 seconds and had a fully fleshed out patron in just a few minutes of thinking and writing.

I've proposed this generator to the group, as you've suggested actually, as a stretch goal inclusion.
This is good news and thanks for the example. Modules and world books are nice but I almost never use them and I have literal stacks of old Judges Guild, TSR and OSR products that are still unread. I buy them in the hopes I will one day read them I guess. Something like a patron pook though I will be all over, reading as soon as I buy it. A patron generator is even more useful to me. I enjoy creating things myself and random generators help get the creative juices flowing.
Last edited by bholmes4 on Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bholmes4
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by bholmes4 »

Outsiders68 wrote:No hard feelings, just drives me and my team to deliver the perfect product for you all.
Great attitude. Of all the DCC Products this one is the one I am most anticipating.
ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by ragboy »

bholmes4 wrote: Wow this is good news and thanks for the example!
Thank you!
bholmes4 wrote: Of all the DCC Products this one is the one I am most anticipating. Modules and world books are nice but I almost never use them and I have literal stacks of old Judges Guild, TSR and OSR products that are still unread. I buy them in the hopes I will one day read them I guess. Something like a patron pook though I will be all over, reading as soon as I buy it. A patron generator is even more useful to me. I enjoy creating things myself and random generators help get the creative juices flowing.

That was exactly the "problem" I needed to solve for myself, so I'm hoping it's useful to other folks, as well. When I started running games with the beta, I immediately ran into situations where I needed a quick patron to dangle in front of the wizard, to be the driving force behind some plot, or otherwise add trappings to the climax of an adventure. So, I wanted something that I had pre-thought out to generate patrons "on the fly" as well as something to "get the juices flowing" when I was conceiving the next adventure.

Once I understand how I want it laid out, my overall master plan is to make it very "extensible," in that GM's can build their own tables within the context of the tool. I also plan to release a set of tablesmith tables, as well...in case your so lazy you don't even want to roll the dice... :)

Anyway. I should do some work-type-work so I can do some fun work.
AKA Paul Wolfe
The Mystic Bull: Check out our two FREE prehistoric adventures: The Steading of the Nergalites AND The Tribe of Ogg and the Gift of Suss
In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer (PDF) and softcover: 12 Short Adventures for DCC!
The God-Seed Awakens: 3rd Level Adventure for DCC. New patron, new spells, lots of new monsters and the living weapons of the Empire of Thal!
My Gamer Profile
Troy812
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Troy812 »

finarvyn wrote:Yeah, if it happens it will be a Third Party product. Goodman Games wants to produce a self-contained rules set (done) and a steady stream of modules (in progress) and doesn't want to focus on add-on rulebooks.

Woot woot
Glad to hear it.
danbuter
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by danbuter »

Ravenheart87 wrote:
danbuter wrote:There really needs to be a giant toad/frog god/patron. Just saying.
There's already one in the core book...
Luckily, my memory is good enough that I knew that and you just imagined I suggested a toad god.
rabindranath72
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by rabindranath72 »

Stainless wrote:
Ogrepuppy wrote:
Outsiders68 wrote: At this stage it's working tittle is "unusual suspect's" it could have as many as 32 patron's in it with your support.We currently have four people working on the project and hope to launch the Kickstarter within the next two week's.
Not to be harsh or overly pedantic, but if you use apostrophes in your product the way you do on these boards, I won't touch your Kickstarter or book. Every single bold item above does NOT require an apostrophe, and your sentence structure is (quite bluntly) a mess.

I know there are people who claim "I write professionally and edit myself in my books but let my punctuation and grammar go to crap on message boards, because, well....who cares?"

It leaves an impression, and says something about who you are to have half-assed punctuation/grammar.
Outsiders68 wrote:So rest assured the quality is coming..
Will you be hiring an editor?
As a university lecturer who teaches about these kinds of key skills issues and has to mark lots of student assessments, I say +d30 to this. Standards need constant practice and vigilance. If you let your standards slip, they often slip completely away from you. Maintain the rage! Also, if you need help proof-reading your manuscript, let me know. :D
+1
There are already quite a few publishers which assume that typos are a "feature" of sort (including their fans.) Let's not go that route.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Hierax
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Hierax »

Excellent News, More Patrons!

Return to “DCC RPG General”