Goodman Games

Fan Forums
It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:42 am 
Far-Sighted Wanderer

FLGS: Comic Connection
I heard when DCC was first being designed the idea was to retire the characters at level 5.
Finished product has rules up to level 10 but I was wondering do anyone actually play past level 5?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:41 am 
Cold-Hearted Immortal

I have played past level 5.

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:39 am 
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

We have had 2 players make it to 10th level. Several more that made it to the 8-9th mark.

The vast majority that make it out of the low levels either die or retire by 5-7th level but we just have no house rule that enforces that or anything. People often just get protective of their characters and once they have enough riches to live a life of wealth or they have defeated the evil duke and once again the area is in good hands they retire.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:35 am 
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

I would be curious how folks would rate the power levels of characters that get past what I consider "mid-range" (4-6th ish).

Coming more from a Classic B/X background, I think of PCs as pretty darned fragile even at higher levels. The biggest differences at higher levels are better saves and access to magical healing. NTM things like Raise Dead.

How many normal* orcs or whatever does it take to really scare a 3rd level DCC warrior? 5th? 8th?

* I'm aware that DCC discourages "normal" monsters, but YKWIM. :)

"Well, that's just genius." :D -GnomeBoy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:20 am 
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

I use normal monsters. Granted my normal monsters like the orc are created by wizards in a huge vat or are a more advanced version and have breeding pits as well as often will have mutations ect..

DCCRPG always remains a deadly game. Even at 10th level lower level monsters in numbers can take a pc down pretty fast when compared to other rpg's.

That said, DCCRPG PC's can become significantly more powerful than there other fantasy counterparts especially the Wizards but it isn't limited to them.

Partly this is because magic items for DCCRPG tend to be very strong. While some games might have your high level warrior have a flaming magical sword that has a nice bonus to hit and damage as well as does fire damage.......in DCCRPG that sword might have a demon trapped inside and feed on souls rewarding its wielder with increased strength and increased hit points for every being slain by the sword.

Magic spells and items just seem much more bad ass and over 10 friggin levels the pc's end up with ungodly powerful arsenals.

On the other hand....high level pc's are just flat out more rare.

A lot of games seem to be made so that the default for going on a adventure is the pc's gain treasure and experience, only dealing with death or failure if the pc's do something really stupid or just have a long run of bad luck.

In DCCRPG the default is death and dismemberment and in order to survive you not only need skill but above all, you need LUCK. The law of averages with dice rolls is against you.

ok back on topic.....a 6th + DCCRPG character is about equal to a 15th D&D 5E character but keep in mind the 5E DM Hates you for sleeping with his wife and must kill your character in the most foul way possible in order to humiliate you and regain his honor. Also your pretty sure he has Call of Cthulhu rpg open and is converting monsters out of it on the fly while your stomach churns and threatens to hurl the 5th of Vodka you downed last bathroom break all over the table.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:39 pm 
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

FLGS: trig
I am a first edition DM who, with few exceptions, played campaigns. How often do characters die in your sessions?

The current campaign is nearing its fourth anniversary with four deaths, three in the Vault of the Dragon Kings.

Losloris

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:49 pm 
Far-Sighted Wanderer

The game I'm running is stable at 6 players. We have been playing 2x a month for the last 6 months.

The party currently consists of 1 character that is 2nd lvl, 4 1st lvl guys and a whole host of 0 lvls. About 35% of the characters go down each session.

5th lvl is a dream at this point.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:18 pm 
Cold-Hearted Immortal

I have played with higher-level PCs. It is just as fun....and if you give the PCs property, you can make their adventures far more personal. At 6th level, the cleric is the spiritual leader of the community, and the warrior has the right to dispense justice in the Duke's name.

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:31 am 
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

I have no idea how many have died in my game. We stopped counting long long ago. I would guess the number of pc deaths would be in the hundreds. I remember some weekends with 30-40 dead characters from funnels.

My knuckle dragging players are infamously stupid though. No really. More than once have they filled up pit traps with dead characters.

Even once they reach the heights of 1-3rd level they often keep dozens of 0 level trapfinders on hand to assist them.