Introductions Thread - Join the Band!

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Primus
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Re: Introductions Thread - Join the Band!

Post by Primus »

Greetings Ancalagon....Greeting Brian
THE ONE AND THE PRIME....NEVER FORGOTTEN
Talath
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Talath »

Hi, I'm Orion. I live in the city of San Francisco, California. I love the DCC RPG and while I don't have a lot of time to devote to playing the game because of school, this is a game I definitely want to judge and play. Am very interested in meeting bay area DCC-fans for possibilities of possible gaming. Also, I like long walks on the beach.
Skyscraper
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Skyscraper »

This sounds like an AA meeting :wink: So:

Hello, my name is Louis.

Hi Louiiiiis

I'm here because I have a gaming problem. I love gaming. I can't stop gaming. I've done so for 30 years now.

We know how you feel Louis!

Hehe :)

DCC looks quite cool. Just got through reading that tome they call a rulebook and I'm looking forward to taking this baby out for a spin. I have played about a dozen different systems and this one looks like the best of 'em.

I'm from Quebec, my groups and I play in French but end up using English words all the time because of the mandatory rules lexicography, which ends up being kind of wonky duirng a gaming session.

Happy gaming to all!

Louis a.k.a. Skyscraper
Maledict Brothbreath, level 4 warrior, STR 16 (+2) AGI 7 (-1) STA 12 PER 9 INT 10 LUCK 15 (+1), AC: 16 Refl: +1 Fort: +2 Will: +1; lawful; Armor of the Lion and Lily's Blade.

Brother Sufferus, level 4 cleric, STR 13 (+1) AGI 15 (+1) STA 11 PER 13 (+1) INT 10 LUCK 9, AC: 11 (13 if wounded, 15 if down to half hit points), Refl: +3 Fort: +2 Will: +3, chaotic, Robe of the Faith, Scourge of the Maimed One, Darts of Pain.
Semi-Retired Gamer
Wild-Eyed Zealot
FLGS: Wizard's Asylum

Post by Semi-Retired Gamer »

Hello everyone! My name is Charles Warren. I've been playing role-playing games since 1980. I started with the Holmes Basic book and moved on to a mish-mash of Holmes with AD&D. I think my favorite version is probably B/X D&D. I played like a madman with my buddies until we graduated in 1991. Real life happened and everybody sort of went separate ways. Basically, I took a decade off from playing. Then I returned in 2000 with 3E. I enjoy it and Pathfinder but have no love for 4E. I've been interested in DCC RPG since reading about it in pre-release statements. I finally got it at my FLGS last night and I must say three words:

HO LEE CRAP!

Is it 1980 again?! This is shaping up to be my go to game! Excellent work from everyone involved and I look forward to seeing what pops up here in discussion.

Charlie
Charlie
----------------------------------------------------
I (mainly) blog about role-playing topics at The Semi-Retired Gamer.

Reading: The Lair of Bones by David Farland.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

Semi-Retired Gamer wrote:I've been interested in DCC RPG since reading about it in pre-release statements. I finally got it at my FLGS last night and I must say three words:

HO LEE CRAP!

Is it 1980 again?! This is shaping up to be my go to game!
Hey, Charlie. I think this sort of reaction is happening all over. At least, it did for lots of folks at my local game store. I demo-ed it there but they must have missed the memo, becasue I'm seeing all sorts of folks rave about it when I stop by the store.

Nice blog, by the way. Not too many folks seem to have much interest in Adventures in Fantasy.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Semi-Retired Gamer
Wild-Eyed Zealot

finarvyn wrote:
Semi-Retired Gamer wrote:I've been interested in DCC RPG since reading about it in pre-release statements. I finally got it at my FLGS last night and I must say three words:

HO LEE CRAP!

Is it 1980 again?! This is shaping up to be my go to game!
Hey, Charlie. I think this sort of reaction is happening all over. At least, it did for lots of folks at my local game store. I demo-ed it there but they must have missed the memo, becasue I'm seeing all sorts of folks rave about it when I stop by the store.

Nice blog, by the way. Not too many folks seem to have much interest in Adventures in Fantasy.
Thanks for the welcome, Finarvyn. Yeah, it does seem to be the common reaction - I just showed it to some friends and they are all really stoked about getting a game up and going. I am really looking forward to getting underway!

Thanks for stopping by the blog! Yeah, there isn't a bunch of interest in Adventures in Fantasy. I plan on doing "something" with it but there is a lot that needs to be fixed. Maybe a book of house rules or maybe a new game drawing inspiration from the foundation of AiF - % dice, minimal character types, and real world mythology - but who knows? I'm not entirely sure it is playable by RAW but I would like to give it a shot.
Charlie

7explorer
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by 7explorer »

Hello everybody! I've been viewing this forum for the last few months and I really love the comunitty that has developed around Dungeon Crawl Classics. All the game reports thus far have been entertaining and in most cases, humorous too (darkly humorous, but meh) :lol: I recently started GMing this year, mostly one-shots, and can't wait to start running this.
tovokas
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by tovokas »

It's so great to see new folks chime in here. Welcome everyone!
Jon Marr
Purple Sorcerer Games
purplesorcerer.com
sbrndf11
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by sbrndf11 »

I've been painting miniatures on and off for about 20 years. I had brief interactions with RPGs as a kid, but never DnD, since it was not approved :)

For about the past year I've restarted my hobby, painted up several hundred miniatures and built up a modest Dwarven Forge + homemade scenery collection. Along with this, I have been DMing 4E games for friends. I dumped 4E and the next game will be DCC.

Unfortunately real life comes first, and I can only do this in my very limited spare time.

I also think I might be able to publish a fantasy novel in the next few years, as I am a pretty prolific writer (so far of non fiction.)
sheriffharry
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by sheriffharry »

If you're already into the old-style Warhammer FRPG, you'll feel right at home with DCC RPG. Welcome!
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

Semi-Retired Gamer wrote:
finarvyn wrote:Not too many folks seem to have much interest in Adventures in Fantasy.
I just showed it to some friends and they are all really stoked about getting a game up and going. I am really looking forward to getting underway!

Thanks for stopping by the blog! Yeah, there isn't a bunch of interest in Adventures in Fantasy. I plan on doing "something" with it but there is a lot that needs to be fixed.
I've owned a copy for years but could never bring myself to play it. I'm a bg Dave Arneson fan, however, so I've mostly kept it because he wrote it. If you are interested in more chat on AiF, you might peek here to find some threads on the game.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Semi-Retired Gamer
Wild-Eyed Zealot

finarvyn wrote:
Semi-Retired Gamer wrote:
finarvyn wrote:Not too many folks seem to have much interest in Adventures in Fantasy.
I just showed it to some friends and they are all really stoked about getting a game up and going. I am really looking forward to getting underway!

Thanks for stopping by the blog! Yeah, there isn't a bunch of interest in Adventures in Fantasy. I plan on doing "something" with it but there is a lot that needs to be fixed.
I've owned a copy for years but could never bring myself to play it. I'm a bg Dave Arneson fan, however, so I've mostly kept it because he wrote it. If you are interested in more chat on AiF, you might peek here to find some threads on the game.
I am already there under the user name of Karnak. :D The discussions about AiF and Arneson have been absolutely fascinating. Your reasons for keeping the game are pretty much my reasons also. I totally understand where you are coming from.
Charlie

svaragog
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by svaragog »

Greetings,
New to the forums and the DCC as well. I am familiar with the modules but as for the RPG, I just ordered a copy from Amazon(well third party seller through Amazon) a couple days ago, I am eagerly looking forward to getting myhands on the book. I've been looking for a game like DCC for some time now after I had dumped my 3.5/d20/Pathfinder/4th. Ed. and Misc. RPG collection over the past year and half. I've been looking for an "old school" rpg for some time now and DCC RPG seems to fit the bill. Everything I read about it indicates something right up my alley.
I have some ideas that once I get a copy of the rulebook and read over that I plan on developing.

Svaragog
Primus
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Primus »

Greetings svaragog and welcome aboard.
THE ONE AND THE PRIME....NEVER FORGOTTEN
beshawn
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by beshawn »

Hey everyone, I've been table-top gaming on and off since I was 12, I started with a D&D boxset. I forced my dad to DM and rounded up all my friends to roll characters.

Excited to play this game, anyone in the Twin Cities area (MN) ?
tomjscott
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by tomjscott »

My name is Tommy Scott (aka Thomas J. Scott). I started with role-playing games with D&D Blue Book Basic around 1980 and quickly progressed to AD&D. I wrote a few AD&D RPGA tournament modules in the 2e days of AD&D and took a hiatus from D&D shortly before 3rd edition hit the shelves. I tried 3e for a little bit, but found it too complicated and often just ignored the new rules and played it more like 2e. When 4e came out, I got in on the ground floor and joined the RPGA LFR team to write/co-write 7 adventures. I enjoyed 4e early on, but have come to the conclusion that the old-school gaming style is what I crave.

I am the president of Magique Productions, Ltd where we've published several OSRIC branded adventure modules over the years. That product line stalled when I realized that the demand for OSRIC material wasn't there. I kept searching for another way to continue my adventure line by investigating C&C, Labyrinth Lord, and even a 4e update, but nothing quite seemed the right way to go.

I recently discovered DCC RPG and I'm really excited about the possibilities. I'm investigating reviving my adventure product line with the DCC RPG brand and have already inquired about the free license. Hopefully, I can acquire the license and be cleared to begin making product.
Merl
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Merl »

Hi all -

My name is Merlin, and with a name like that, there's probably a certain inevitability that I'd end up playing RPGs.

I started off with a copy of the classic intro book What is Dungeons & Dragons? back in 1983. After reading the book more than a dozen times I convinced an uncle to buy me the red box Basic D&D for a birthday. Very shortly afterwards I drafted my brother and sisters into my first game, and learned exactly how deadly the 8 attacks of a carrion crawler can be, as the entire party was immobilised in their first encounter. My brother's thief was then slowly eaten while conscious but paralysed. Come to think of it, that may have been the last RPG my brother played...

I played a lot of Basic/Expert and AD&D over the next few years, but drifted away from fantasy RPGs in the 90s and spent time playing the first three editions of Shadowrun. I didn't even know about D&D 2e, the Rules Cyclopedia, 3e, 3 and-a-half-e, or 4e – let alone the great and holy edition wars, until we stopped playing Shadowrun during its own 4th edition controversy around 2005. We came back into old school play via original MERP and then the Dark Dungeons retro-clone.

We played DCC RPG beta rules almost as soon as it came out, had a great time with the funnel, mourned livestock that perished in the cold dark of the underworld, and eventually ended up with a group of battle-scarred/scared 4th and 5th level characters who had played most of the way through the Dyson's Delve mini-megadungeon.
I pre-ordered the DCC RPG book when it was announced, just perfectly in time for our group to re-distribute itself to 4 widely separated locations: Wellington, Christchurch, Brisbane in Oz, and Frigiliana in southern Spain.

With inter-country commuting for RPG sessions deemed somewhat inconvenient, we're going to investigate various virtual table top solutions – MapTool, Roll20.net or Tabletop Forge seem possible candidates so far. Timezone differences will probably prevent more than occasional sessions, unfortunately.

Still, that hasn't stopped me supporting all the DCC RPG-related Kickstarters, reading the forums every day, and planning increasingly grandiose and unfeasible campaign settings.
IronWolf
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by IronWolf »

Merl wrote: With inter-country commuting for RPG sessions deemed somewhat inconvenient, we're going to investigate various virtual table top solutions – MapTool, Roll20.net or Tabletop Forge seem possible candidates so far. Timezone differences will probably prevent more than occasional sessions, unfortunately.
All three of the VTTs you referenced are great. I have been playing a fair amount recently on Tabletop Forge and Roll20 in Google+ Hangouts.
Stainless
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Stainless »

I find myself having coffee in front of the computer with nothing to do, so time to introduce myself.

I stared roleplaying back in 1978 or perhaps 1979. I'm not exactly sure, but can date it to the period between the release of Judges Guild's Ready Ref Sheets and 1e AD&D. Someone's older brother must have introduced them to D&D and so the concept quickly spread to us. All we had access to was the Ready Ref Sheets and some dice, so basically we didn't have much of a clue about what we were supposed to be doing and what most of it meant; e.g., what on earth is a bugbear when all you know are the stats and there's no such thing as the Internet?! But boy did we have fun! I remember game after game that often lasted no longer than the lunch break. Hours at the back of the class with graph paper and a dungeon expanding under the very nose of the teacher, devouring every page and word of the latest Dragon magazine, etc. Because the first real rules we played were 1e we were always sniffy of the "basic" D&D people, even though I don't think I ever laid eyes on a set; it was "basic", so surely it must be for dummies. What followed was years of almost exclusive AD&D playing. The only diversion was Traveller. I remember buying the box set and literally breathlessly opening it and devouring the books on my hour-long bus ride home. It came at the same time I was reading Asimov's Foundation books and the Dorsai series. Needless to say, it blew my mind. I became the school Traveller expert, but we played relatively little of it compared to AD&D. The other kids just weren't as interested in it. Slowly my roleplaying petered out to occasional games as I advanced through the years and eventually went to university. I remember my interest was almost non existent when 2e came out. I could already see the salami-slicing marketing tactics of TSR and wanted to have nothing to do with it. Unlike my friend, who remained obsessed by AD&D, I could never fully justify the time and mental dilution it demanded; my studies were always most important and so took precedent. However, during the last year of my undergraduate studies, and into my PhD, I met a university group and my horizons expanded considerably, mainly because women were involved. Rather than playing D&D, we played MegaTraveller, plus forays into Twilight 2000, Space 1889, Top Secret, James Bond and probably a few others. The university had club rooms and so we had a convenient venue, but there were also innumerable late-night drunken sessions at peoples' houses. A whole spectrum of weird, wonderful and largely eccentric intellectual types (myself included) came through these sessions (all part of the excitement and energy of youth). However, as my PhD progressed, I made a vow of RPG-celibacy so I could concentrate on finishing (probably 1991). Afterwards, I was off to jobs, world travel, etc. and literally forgot about roleplaying. So much so that many years later (in 2005), whilst on honeymoon and looking through a military bookshop for WWII aviation books (my current distraction was computer flight sims and the IL2 series), I was amazed to come across what must have been the 3.0 books. I honestly thought roleplaying had completely folded and no longer existed. I must say, I was appalled buy the vast number of books on sale, so never for an instant considered investigating it further). However, this discovery released the worm in my brain which rapidly started to burrow away. Traveller was what I wanted to get back into, so I purchased the Megatraveller pdfs and started to get my head around the absolute mess that had happened to Traveller in the years since I'd last known about it. Quite a steep learning curve. This was all good and well, but what I needed most was people to play with. I went to a local games store and put an ad in their window. They told me of a local gaming club that I should attend to see if anyone was interested. Well, the first person I talked to there turned out to be my neighbour and he was a long-term and avid roleplayer with an active gaming group! The next break was finding out that my assigned mentor at work was similarly a long time roleplayer who was also looking for people to play with. The rest is fate. Every Tue. we game (largely Trail of Cthulhu and Call of Cthulhu). My game collection threatens to take over the house. My appetite expands ever perilously. Now I have friends and a hobby for life. Fingers crossed, I can get some DCC RPG gaming going soon.
Avatar by Stefan Poag (I now own the original!)
AlCook
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by AlCook »

Hello, my name's Al and I got DCC a couple of weeks ago (and the dice!) and so far, it hits all of the sweet spots. More than likely I'll be playing DCC solo using Mythic.

Al
bitflipr
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by bitflipr »

Hi all! I've been a lurker on these forums for a few months now, ever since I read a Play-By-Forum play of Portal Under the Stars using the Beta rules on RPGGeek.com. Since I started reading the rules I've been a little more active and hope to contribute some good discussion to the game and its supplementary material. Anyway, I figure I should introduce myself formally here

I'm relatively new to D&D (and its offshoots) compared to most of the regulars here. Although I got my first taste of D&D with 2nd Edition back in the early 90s (when I was in high school), it was relatively short lived due to pressure from my family and their religious convictions - I recall buying the Player's Handbook without their knowledge and having to toss it when discovered it a few weeks later. I didn't back into this hobby until D&D 4th Edition, with the WotC podcasts involving Penny Arcade rekindling my interest. Over the following 3 years I engrossed myself with RPG materials and discovered the OSR, and that's where things fast-forward to present day and DCC goodness.

Most of my family and friends interested in RPGs are even newer to the genre than myself, so I'm the GM when it comes to gaming nights. I've run a blend of AD&D, LotFP, and ACKS for them. I'd love to introduce DCC to the gaming table, but I'm not quite sure they are ready to switch game rules yet again so soon! I do plan to run some PbF games (possible some Google+ or Roll20 as well) in the mean time to scratch the DCC itch. I've also recently joined in on the Barrowmaze DCC game run by Raven_Crowking.

Anyway, glad to finally introduce myself. Cheers!
sheriffharry
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by sheriffharry »

Greetings everyone!
The DCC RPG crowd is becoming a MOB!!!!

Pesky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Pesky »

Hi All,

I'm Terry and started playing D&D with the bluebox in 1979. I "learned the ropes" from In Search of the Unknown and Keep on the Borderlands. However, I heard about an "Advanced" version of the game and wanted to get into that, so I moved on to 1E AD&D. Ah, the memories... Secret of the Slavers' Stockade was one of my favorites. Ravenloft (the module) had an amazing ambiance, complete with a gypsy fortune-teller at the beginning! I also remember (as a player) making it all the way through Tomb of Horrors, evading those nasty traps, only to be killed by a %$#!@ floating skull at the end. :x Thus was my introduction to a demi-lich. Ah, the memories.

I've played every incarnation of D&D since, but the early versions of the game had a feel about them that, for whatever reason, eventually evolved (or devolved) away. When I read through DCC it was such a breath of fresh air, like a missing piece of a puzzle finally falling into place. I'm really having fun with the system and am enjoying the discussions on this forum.
Terry Olson
Dumnbunny
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Kapow Comics, Cards and Games

Post by Dumnbunny »

Hey folks,

My name is Paul. I'm a husband, father and small business owner living in Lethbridge, AB. I've been a gamer for the last 30+ years, starting with the Basic D&D box back in high school, 1981-ish. I added AD&D to my collection, Gamma World, and 30 or 40 other games, along with various boardgames, wargames (miniature, chit and hex, etc), card games, computer games, etc. Along the way I got married, had a kid, and I've managed to turn her into an avid gamer, too.

As a high school student, one of my aunts told my parents about D&D, suggesting that I'd be interested in it. They didn't really pass along the suggestion; I overheard them talking about it and decided to pick it up. I took to it like a duck to water, having spent the last few years devouring the works of Howard, Moorcock, Leiber and any other swords and sorcery authors who's books I could lay my hands on. I went on to amass a large collection of D&D books, modules, Dragon and other magazines, and assorted paraphernalia. I wound up forced to get rid of it all (long story), but over the last year or so I've begun to rebuild it from eBay, Noble Knight, and Troll and Toad.
Flexi
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Flexi »

sheriffharry wrote:Greetings everyone!
The DCC RPG crowd is becoming a MOB!!!!

If you look carefully, sherriffharry's avatar picture of Dean Stockwell bears an uncanny resemblance to the man leading the mob!
My theory is that it is actually sherriffharry himself, kept eternally youthful by diabolical powers! :)
Last edited by Flexi on Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “DCC RPG General”