Introductions Thread - Join the Band!

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Colin

Re: Introductions Thread - Join the Band!

Post by Colin »

Tush Hog wrote:Atomic Highway is great!

Also, I recognize your name from a few things on my shelf. I was just reading Faery's Tale yesterday. Now I'm even more excited about the stuff you're contributing to Crawl! :)
Thank you for the kind words. The Crawl! articles I've written are very mixed; some short but fun, others expansive and very useful.

Colin
Karaptis
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Karaptis »

Vandendanderclanden wrote:Good morning. I am called Van den Danderclanden. I live in a pocket universe of my own device. Time is an illusion! Your petty ambitions are meaningless. Your soul belongs to me.
Hello future me will you guide me on my path to ultimate wizardry? I call upon your aid!
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

Vandendanderclanden wrote:Good morning. I am called Van den Danderclanden. I live in a pocket universe of my own device. Time is an illusion! Your petty ambitions are meaningless. Your soul belongs to me.
When didn't it belong to you? You're awesome! I accept Vandendanderclanden into my heart as my personal savior.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Ogrepuppy wrote:
When didn't it belong to you? You're awesome! I accept Vandendanderclanden into my heart as my personal savior.
Just the one heart, or both? I can see you saving the other in case something better comes along... 8)
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

GnomeBoy wrote:Just the one heart, or both? I can see you saving the other in case something better comes along... 8)
:: looks in pocket ::

Oh, wow. When did I put the other heart in here? More importantly, whose heart is it?!? :shock:
Witchfinder
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Witchfinder »

Hello! My name is Matt and I am 43 years old, an attorney and I live in Cincinnati, Ohio. I started playing RPGS around 1979 with the Holmes Basic set and have gamed off and on since. My last group was active until about last year playing Labyrinth Lord but our DM moved to Las Vegas and things fell apart.

I just got DCC a week ago after picking up the Free RPG Day module and I am hooked! I have cobbled together a couple of sets of the Zocchi dice and I would like to get them rolling.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

Hey, Matt, nice to have another old-timer on board. Too bad that Cincinnati so so far from Chicago. :(

Holmes Basic is one of the great milestones in RPGs, in my opinion. If you have an itch to discuss the Holmes rules with others, there is a section for it on my OD&D boards (see my signature).
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

I'm 35, also a lawyer, and I've played everything except 4e (watched it once, not my bag, baby). Prefer OD&D atmosphere, but intrigued by rules-light systems like FUDGE and Fate, Rules Cyclopedia, etc. Big fan of survival horror stuff like The Stand and The Walking Dead, Lovecraft, etc. Not a big fan of high-magic high fantasy. Still waiting on my DCC book to get here in the mail, but I'm most excited about the dangerous magic aspect. Yum.
gandalf_scion
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by gandalf_scion »

I'm a 41 year old diplomat (American) who has not played RPGs for about 20 years. But DCC looks like a good game, even if the vast array of dice presents some practicle problems. And, I now have some free time. So if anyone in Northern Virginia wants to arrange a crawl let me know.
IronWolf
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by IronWolf »

Witchfinder wrote:Hello! My name is Matt and I am 43 years old, an attorney and I live in Cincinnati, Ohio. I started playing RPGS around 1979 with the Holmes Basic set and have gamed off and on since.
Cool - another person from Ohio! I am north of you, a touch south of Columbus.
phg
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by phg »

M2A0 wrote:
Ravenheart87 wrote: Nice to see another Wilderlands Judge. I've been using used Swords & Wizardry Complete for more than a year now, but I'm going to end this campaign soon and use my own setting with DCC. It draws heavily from Wilderlands and Arduin.
My party just had an almost TPK in the Plain of Cairns, SE of the City State, so it seems like a great time for a restart. (3 characters are now angry vengeful wraiths!)
That's crazy; my players almost TPK'd on the edge of the Plain of Cairns in my Wilderlands campaign last weekend! They were running through "Sailors on the Starless Sea"; I placed the keep several hours march from the village of Fireside (known as "Arbroath" in my world).

Small alternate metaverse... :)
Juggalo78
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Juggalo78 »

Hi. Name my name is Mark. I live in Springfield IL. I play a wide variety of games including 2,3,and 3.5 D&D,the various games of the original World of Darkness,Song of Ice and Fire,Savage Worlds, and many more. I picked up DCC on the recommendations of a few friends and the strength of the funnel session I played in. I did a review of this book on youtube under Mark B on DCC so check me out if you want to. Glad to be here for discussion of a pretty cool game.
Primus
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Primus »

GREETINGS NOBLE GAMING MERCHANTS,CHRIS HERE...I BEEN PLAYING D&D/AD&D SINCE THE EARLY 80"S.ENJOY THE OLD SCHOOL GAME PLAY. DCC RPG LOOKS LIKE A WINNER. :D

I WOULD LIKE TO DISPLAY MY AVATAR FOR MY PROFILE BUT IT KEEPS STATING 6Kil OR SMALLER.IS THERE A WAY TO GET AROUND THIS? I TRIED EDITING TO FIT BUT GETS TO SMALL FOR USE.
THE ONE AND THE PRIME....NEVER FORGOTTEN
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

Greetings, Chris, and welcome to the boards. Glad you discoved the awesomeness of DCC RPG. :D

By the way, I should mention that typing in all caps is called "shouting" and it bothers some folks.
Primus wrote:I WOULD LIKE TO DISPLAY MY AVATAR FOR MY PROFILE BUT IT KEEPS STATING 6Kil OR SMALLER.IS THERE A WAY TO GET AROUND THIS? I TRIED EDITING TO FIT BUT GETS TO SMALL FOR USE.
It may come down to the type of file that you are trying to import. BMP files, for example, are really inefficient and chew up space so you'd have to shrink them down quite a bit. On the other hand, GIF and JPEG files tend to be a lot smaller. You might try to save your avatar as a GIF or JPEG and see if that works. If you don't know how to do this, if you send me the file I can try to do it for you. 8)
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
Primus
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Primus »

Greetings marv and thanks for your help.how do you choose for me to send this avatar pic to you? Can we pm here? Not sure how to sent it from here for you.??????????????
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

Primus wrote:Greetings marv and thanks for your help.how do you choose for me to send this avatar pic to you? Can we pm here? Not sure how to sent it from here for you.??????????????
You can't PM until you get 3 posts approved. I'll e-mail you directly.
Marv / Finarvyn

-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
Karaptis
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Karaptis »

Alright I guess I will go next.

I'm Vince. I have been playing since 83. Basic red box DnD is what started me. Since then, my list of games played have been quite extensive. The style of play in my circle of friends doesn't really fit the Hero mode, in fact, I don't think anyone has played a good character in years. A knife to the back is almost what people expect. Think of it as fantasy Paranoia. Another thing I am guilty of is naming charaters after famous NPCs (like my avatar) but with a different letter thrown in and then act insulted when we are mixed up. Yes, like most old school gamers I have watched too much Monty Python (if there is such a thing as too much).
Primus
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Primus »

Greetings Vince
fuel
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by fuel »

My name is Clint and I started playing in the mid to late 80s. I was fascinated with it ever since seeing the toys and games in the Sears catalog in the early 80s (War duke was awesome). We used to draw "characters" in school alot but never really played. I finally started playing in junior high with some friends and one of them's older brother. We played AD&D. I also bought the Red box with the Elmore cover and also the DMG, PH, MM1&2 even though my friends already had them. The Satanism scare hit right around when I was really getting into it and due to my puritannical mother it became a lot harder to play. I used to have to sneak my books around. Thank God she never found my copy of the Arcanum with the big red pentagram on the cover! I didn't play any during my junior and senior years because I had a girlfriend and RPGs weren't "cool". Skip ahead a few years into the mid 90s and I had a different group of friends and we started playing AD&D 1st and 2nd edition as well as Dark Sun and Vampire: The Masquerade. A few years later and we were all split up and I didn't play for years. A couple of years ago, I got married and wanted to get into it again. I thought my stepson, who has an overactive imagination, would like it. I looked into 4E and PF but they looked totally different and WAY to complicated for my tastes. I found the OSR through the Internet and started playing S&W but something was missing. I bought an old 1E DMG, PH, FF, and MMs and something was still missing. That's when I stumbled upon the DCC RPG beta. I got together with one of my old players and we played the funnel with my stepson. It was an absolute blast! I have gotten a coworker into it and he loves it too. It's funny how your imagination is like any other muscle, if you don't use it, you lose it. Us old guys had so much fun. My wife who was "too cool for D&D" even watched and laughed while I GMed and their PCs were slaughtered, not by me but by their poor rolls or poor choices. It was awesome!
Primus
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Primus »

Greetings Clint and welcome.
oktoberguard
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by oktoberguard »

Welcome, Clint! I know all too well what you mean about the "Satanic panic" of the late 80s/early 90s. I wasn't playing D&D at the time, but I spent a lot of time and effort hiding my Rifts and Palladium Fantasy RPG books from my folks... what a pain.
phg
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by phg »

Hi everybody! My name is Eric. I'm 41, and I play "d&d".

I was an early reader, teaching myself with Mad Magazine, Tintin, and Tolkien. I finished LotR for the first time by 3rd grade (skipping the insanely-hard-to-care-about "Council of Elrond"), and my imagination was fired up. That year, 1979, my mom got me and my best friend seats at a d&d game being run by adult friends of hers. These folks were college kids, cabbies, and/or members of Genesis Juice co-op (Eugene, OR represent!), and years later I put together that they were probably running Wilderlands, crazily mutated to their needs. I remember being allowed to go through some of the scrolled-up player maps, and seeing the colored markers and notes filling the hex map, leaving an obvious trail of history and glory, and I was going to get to play in it! Amazing and mind-blowing stuff of course for a young mind. My friend's d4 roll for his hit points at first level was the first time either of us had ever rolled the "weird" dice. Incredibly, the d4 left his hand, bounced, and somehow landed on a tiny flattened tip. "What's that mean?" we asked, not realizing that we'd never see it happen again. :)

After that kick-start, I ran some gonzo d&d with friends for until about eighth grade, in worlds of our creation. We were playing with 1e main three books, Fiend Folio, and the The Complete Warlock supplement (mostly for awesome inheritance tables). By high school, I had also played Star Frontiers, Top Secret, Champions, Heroes Unlimited, and Car Wars. In my twenties, I played a lot of GURPS. As a player, I played in an over-the-top (200 pts in disadvantages allowed?) Far Future game, and as a GM, I ran a 3-year GURPS Fantasy rules campaign, set in Harn.

I didn't really play role-playing games for a number of years, until 3rd Edition came out. I started reading about it, using this new-fangled "web" thanks to the front-line reporting of one Eric Noah, and I liked what I was hearing. I got together some friends, and we played a campaign that ran for years, eventually becoming a 3.5 game. A couple of players wrote and illustrated a series of comics about this campaign, which was totally amazingly cool.

After a brief hiatus, I got pulled back to the table by the Iron Heroes book, and I started a Wilderlands campaign using that ruleset. That campaign focused on the Tharbrian coast, between the city of Warwik and the transplanted town of Malador from the Iron Heroes adventure I ran. I really enjoyed the game, but the campaign was interrupted by my move to NYC, and it would be years before I role-played again.

Back in Portland after the NYC adventure, I ended up working at a software company with a lot of gamers (not necessarily role-players), and 4E was coming out soon, so I got a bunch of folks excited about a Wednesday Night Game soon after the release of the game. Again, I put the game in the Wilderlands, this time based out of the City State of the Invincible Overlord. I ran a home game, also using 4E, taking place on the Skandik coast in the same world. It was mostly fun, but it burned me out. I stopped running games, but the Wednesday night game continued for a long time, even after I left the company.

I was looking for something simpler, lighter, and the OSR stuff was pulling me. I dont' remember where I first came across the DCCRPG beta rules, but I was REALLY pumped and inspired to play once I tore through and absorbed what the game was about, and the experience it promised. I ran a couple games using the beta rules for some friends, taking place in the Wilderlands (natch, baby), in the Skandik-controlled inlands west of Ossary. I ran Portal beyond the Stars as a funnel, followed by starting DCC28 Into the Wilds, as Harley had done part of the conversion. I paused the game until the final rules came out; since then we've played two sessions, running some fresh meat through Sailors on the Starless Sea, survivors to join the established characters in Wildsgate on Saturday.

My players and I have been having a blast with the game! I like the fact that all of the first level characters have seen a lot of mayhem and death of many, many characters. It's brutal, but when something heroic happens, it really stands out and feels like true glory. A zero-level taking two hits from beastman spears, and surviving? Incredible! The hunter rolling a nat 20 and max damage to take out the chaos lord, preventing a TPK? The stuff of legend!

And we haven't even scratched the surface of leveled character play yet....

tl;dr: I've been having a blast playing DCCRPG in the Wilderlands.
Primus
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Primus »

Greetings Eric...welcome aboard.
Ancalagon
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Ancalagon »

Greetings!

I'm Ancalagon a.k.a. The Zombie Master to some. I started playing RPGs in early 1982 with the Moldvay Basic D&D set. After a few months I moved to the Expert set and then to AD&D.

Some other RPGs I've played include Castles & Crusades, Warhammer Fantasy 2e, GURPS, Call of Cthulhu, Marvel Supers Advanced, DC Heroes, All Flesh Must Be Eaten, Earthdawn, HackMaster 4e.
ghostisluminous
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by ghostisluminous »

Hello All. I'm Brian, 42 years old, Married with two kids. I was a Hardcore Gamer as a kid, from 11 into my twenties. Gaming was one of the things I lost the time (and Money) for when I had kids and bought a house and all that crap.

I had seen the DCC RPG and got all excited about it in the store. The cover art IMMEDIATELY took me back to my childhood. An amazing and unexpected feeling. It was the version with the free Module inside the front cover! I was laughing out loud when I saw art by Erol Otus (The Best!) and several nods to familiar artwork from the past , Homages, no doubt, sprinkled throughout the book. The book itself was gorgeous. I fell in love with it!

Sadly, $40 Role-Playing games are not in my Family's budget. About three weeks later, my son ( he's twelve.) and I were in the store looking around in the Games section. He said "I've been thinking I might want to check out Fantasy Role Playing Games". I picked up the DCC RPG and showed it to him. I decided that for me to feel young, it wasn't in the budget, but if it was teemed with spending quality time with my Son, it would be worthwile! I helped him pick out a set of dice, Too! ( Hey, if you want to get into Gaming, you need your own dice, right? It's part of the experience!) Unfortunately, the Ones with the free Modules inside had been sold and restocked with "Regular" copies. Missed it by "That Much"!

We took it home and immediately sat at the kitchen table with it. I went and got my old bag of Gamescience dice out! I had forgotten how cool they were! Within an hour of reading and discussing the book and me teaching him about the dice, we were making characters! We were having a total BLAST! Every time my wife walked by and looked in the kitchen, she'd laugh out loud and call us Nerds! We were eating Cheetos, drinking Soda and rolling dice. Laughing and being Taken away by the game.

The next day, we played the Zero level adventure from the back of the book. I have not had this much fun in Twenty years. It's been an AMAZINGLY positive thing in regards to my relationship with my Son.

I'll be lurking around here (There's TONS to read!) and I'd like to Thank Goodman Games for the obvious pride and care they put into their product. As lame as it sounds, this Book has changed my life. Might be the best 40$ I ever spent.

I've been studying the photo's of the Beautiful Limited Edition of the book trying to figure out the "Hidden Message" To no avail! It's driving me crazy! I bet this thing is Incredible in person! Looks like a Volume from the Deep Restricted Stacks at Miskatonic University!

Return to “DCC RPG General”