Introductions Thread - Join the Band!

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Re: Introductions Thread - Join the Band!

Post by JediOre »

Welcome aboard Weisenwolf.
I agree, the DCC-RPG rule book is really fun to read and the art is cool again.
Gynsburghe
Gongfarmer

Post by Gynsburghe »

Howdy,

There are those who call me Dave...

I've been playing D&D for around 30 years now, starting with AD&D in 5th or 6th grade. Oddly enough, however, the first game I ever bought was Chill (Pacesetter), which I still adore as Cryptworld. I played pretty regularly in my teens, but hit the skids when 2e came out. My group from the 80s would occasionally regroup for games over that decade, still devoted to 1e. I mostly just read RPGs after then, until around 2001/2002 - when I started bumping into folks who played again... and then 3e came out. Luckily for a stodgy bastard like me, the OSR started around then too.

For the last 10 years I have predominantly gamed Hackmaster (4e) and been sort of active on lots of OSR places, reading and collecting. As my primary group has fizzled over the years from lack of fresh blood and real life problems, I am finally taking the steps to commit myself to gaming again. I've been very inspired by the last five years of independent publisher releases especially LotFP and DCC.

Those who have gamed with me have definitely noticed my penchant for horror, which has bled all over my campaigns. Between Raggi's black metal tinged releases and DCC's devotion to that Appendix N flavor - I feel more at home in current releases than I ever have. After years of working on a never completed campaign setting that blended mythology, history and horror - I have decided that I am more likely to complete a reworking of Ravenloft, which has been a guilty pleasure of mine for years. With Transylvanian Adventures and the LotFP adventures, I'm finding ways to re-envision a setting that often stumbled over itself trying to work a broad palette of ideas. I hope to actually host some of this new direction on a blog somewhere once it starts to solidify as a new DCC campaign.

In real life, I'm a chef for a boarding school (where I also have a newbie gaming group), a dilettante musician and a rather enthusiastic home haunter.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

Hey, Dave -- welcome to the boards and I'm glad you "evolved" from Hackmaster to DCC. While HM is a fine game, I found it had a lot of extra detail that I found distracting in play. DCC doesn't have all that baggage.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
JudgeDoug
Gongfarmer

Post by JudgeDoug »

Hello, fellow judges and dungeon dwellers and role players!

For years I have been an obsessed 3.5 D&D Player and Dungeon Master. Played some 2nd AD&D never ran it, A huge d6 star wars and saga edition star wars nerd, I never had the chance to play the original D&D by the time I was introduced to 2nd edition in 1997 I was 11 years old and it was all that was available in the small poverty town that I grew up in and only recently have left. RPG's have always been an escape for me, I enjoy the ability to step outside of reality and submerge myself in a world of fantasy.

I have only been playing DCCRPG since November but I have enjoyed and loved every minute of it and can't wait to see what 2015 brings to the table.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Welcome!

As soon as the cookies have cooled a bit, please help yourself.

(That goes for everyone.)
Attachments
Chocolate_Chip_Cookies.jpg
Chocolate_Chip_Cookies.jpg (116.39 KiB) Viewed 54820 times
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
SeaRogue
Gongfarmer

Post by SeaRogue »

New to DCC RPG in the Tampa Bay area. I've been into AH/SPI wargames, Holmes Basic and AD&D 1e, T&T, Classic Traveller, CoC some SFB, etc. since 1978. I recently read DCC cover to cover. Mind blowing! I hope there is a group in the area or a demo, because I need to play this game!

Hoping those Kickstarter DCC dice arrive sometime soon, as well...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Deep down, we know our souls need something wild, something dangerous, something that makes us feel alive. The sea does that. It’s the last untamed place on earth." ~ Dr. Peter Kreeft
Jeff Griffith
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Jeff Griffith »

Hello everyone! My name is Jeff, and I'm new to the world of DCC! I was turned onto it by the awesome comic book artist Benjamin Marra and his illustrations of his campaign he runs. I talked to him about it, and he convinced me to purchase the core rule book! I'm almost through the whole book now, and will soon begin running my own DCC campaign. Anyhow, very excited to become part of the community, and look forward to getting to know everyone!

jeff.
godinabox
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by godinabox »

Hi all. I am new to the world of playing pen and paper rpgs. only in the last year have I managed to get some games going. I imediatly fell in love with DCC rpg for its elequent mechanics that help players get into the strengths and weakness' of their character rather than pull them out into power gaming.
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Welcome.

Hope you like waffles.
Attachments
waffles.jpg
waffles.jpg (73.57 KiB) Viewed 54707 times
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

asia pickle
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Excelsior - Hoover, AL

Post by asia pickle »

Asia Pickle checking into the official forums finally. Been pretty active on G+ for the last year or so. Birmingham, AL.
EyvindHaraldsen
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by EyvindHaraldsen »

Hey, I'm a long time fantasy fan looking to break into RPGs, both because I think it would be a lot of fun, and as a way to keep in touch with my brother, who shares similar interests. My first choice was AD&D first edition, and I still love that rule set, but he had, how shall I say, less of an appreciation for the "gloriously unrepentant mess" design philosophy, and then I heard about DCC. There are some things I like about it better, specifically the single axis alignment and the random nature of magic, and I felt like it would be a good compromise to capture the old school flavor I crave with the more modern design sensibilities he likes.

Hope to get started soon, after I have the details of my setting/house rules hammered out (even before I started playing, I have been a long time rules tinkerer).
Craig
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Craig »

Hi folks! I'm a new DCC RPG judge and thought I would introduce myself. I gamed a lot as a teenager back in the 1980s. My 8th grade English teacher turned me on to Car Wars and Toon. I played 1st ed D&D, Gamma World, Marvel Super Heroes and then a bit later TMNT and Rifts by Palladium. Sadly, at some point I traded long gaming sessions for dates with girls and I didn't game again until just a few years ago.

I rediscovered RPGs, thanks to Google+, in late 2011. I played in some short lived online campaigns and eventually met some local gamers. Before long I was Paizo's Pathfinder Society Venture Captain (regional organizer for organized play) for the Mobile, AL/Pensacola, FL area and I was organizing events and GMing games at a breakneck pace. We built a fantastic local gaming community around PFS but sadly, after 1.5 years, I got burnt out. I passed the Venture Captain torch to someone else and haven't touched a d20 game since. For the past year or so I've been GMing a Numenera campaign (that just ended), experimented with a couple of indie rules systems, and played in some Savage Worlds campaigns.

I recently began thinking about running a fantasy game but decided I didn't want to use Pathfinder. Too many rules! I put a call out on Google+ for a rules light dungeon crawl and DCC was the most mentioned game. I now own the rulebook in print and have fallen in love with the system. I absolutely LOVE the idea of mercurial magic, corruption, patrons, Luck, and all the other aspects of the game that make it a bit Weird. I'm finishing up prep for Sailors on the Starless Sea and will soon run my first funnel. There seems to be an amazing community around this game and I'm excited to be part of it. See you all around!
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Welcome!
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
DM Cojo
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by DM Cojo »

Welcome Craig...keep us posted on how your first funnel goes!
bookish
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by bookish »

Hey All! I can't imagine that I will be a very active member on this forum after I get all my questions answered, but I am here to understand the game better as I run games for friends and acquaintances. I want to create my own world based on the DCC rules and guidelines as a judge, and hopefully to inspire others so that I get to play as a character myself ;) All my questions will probably seem basic, but please be helpful!
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

bookish wrote:...but please be helpful!
I'm not sure this forum has a mode other than "helpful". :wink:

Welcome.

bookish
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by bookish »

GnomeBoy wrote:
bookish wrote:...but please be helpful!
I'm not sure this forum has a mode other than "helpful". :wink:

Welcome.
Thanks!
Mickomann
Gongfarmer

Post by Mickomann »

Hi all

My name is Michael and I live in Brisbane, Australia. I haven't yet played a game of DCC, yet I plan to partake as Judge soon. I have some background in playing Pathfinder and Swords and Wizardry.

When i'm not living in (more exciting) fantasyland, I can be found either studying psychology or working away sellings pillows.

I look forward to listening and contributing to the interesting discussion on this forum.

Regards

Michael
andrewlkolodziej
Gongfarmer

Post by andrewlkolodziej »

Hello all, I am new to DCC and to these forums but hope to become more active as time goes on. I have played rpg's since 2nd ed D&D and on but 4th and 5th never caught my attention much. don't really know what else to say so I'll just say Hello, and Goodbye I guess?
celticgriffon
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by celticgriffon »

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to say hello from Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada.

I have been actively playing since Grade 7 (circa 86). My first RPG purchase was the Oriental Handbook for AD&D.

Since then I have dabbled in all types of RPG's, board games, miniatures and CCG's. I also have designed a board game called Whiskey Traders. Hopefully someday it will make it to print.

I have an extensive game collection (especially Warhammer Fantasy and Magic among other stuff) and have had a passion for all things gaming since my childhood.

Recently I stumbled upon the DCC system after a long hiatus in RPG's. I hope to run a group with friends over the next few months.

Cheers,
Michael
Demidian
Gongfarmer

Post by Demidian »

Hi folks,

my name is Dennis and I am from germany.

I started gaming in the 90s with MERP and Rolemaster, followed by Vampire the Masquerade and more or less all the other White Wolf games of that time and then DnD 3rd edition (most of the time acting as referee/gamemaster/storyteller). I switched to Pathfinder when it got out which I played for some years until I discovered the OSR and switched to LotFP. I got the DCC core rulebook last month, which I bought out of curiosity, and it is so metal one can hear the guitar riffs while reading. Best game book I have ever read. My new campaign will start this summer :twisted:

Thanks for all the good work!

In real life I am a math-PhD who left the academic life to work for the evil finance industry.
Sudo Dragon
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Sudo Dragon »

Hi Everyone,
I thought I would drop by and introduce myself. I started playing RPGs years ago with the D&D Basic Set. Have played at least a little of each version that has come out. Also enjoy Gamma World and Savage worlds. Looking to play more DCC as I like the character build by funnel idea, as with the more modern RPGs, players spend time "making" a character, I'd like to go back and have a character evolve as play goes on.

I have read through a good number of the DCC modules. "Peril on the Purple Planet" is great, and was well worth the Kickstarter money. Also, if you have not looked into "Black Powder, Black Magic" by Stormlord Publishing, is also well worth the read.

I am also looking to see if the Mutant Crawl Classics project hinted at here in forums comes to life. Hoping it will appear at GenCon this year, who knows maybe they will have an event I can sit in on.
Maddrjeffe
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Maddrjeffe »

I'm Jeff, a gamer living in the frozen wasteland (for games that is) that is Juneau, Alaska. I also just joined the Road Crew and plan on a few demos at our local board game club day coming up in June. Following that I'll take it to our local games store Juneau Gamers.

Anyhow nice to meet y'all.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Hey! I've been to Juneau! Beautiful town!

Welcome aboard!
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
tovokas
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by tovokas »

Welcome Jeff: I have such respect for folks who spread their DCC love to the masses!

I also have a standing offer: to add to the swag pile, anyone running an organized DCC event can offer a free download code for a Purple Sorcerer Games adventure as a prize to those who participate. You can distribute them any way you like, to go along with 'Best Death' certificates, etc., or just as a thank you for trying out the system to all who participate.

If you're interested, after the event you'll just need to gather and send me the email addresses the players use at RPGNow (since the codes are tied to their accounts) and I'll ship off a free download code to everyone on the list.

Regardless, thanks for stepping up and sharing some DCC love!
Jon Marr
Purple Sorcerer Games
purplesorcerer.com

Return to “DCC RPG General”