Introductions Thread - Join the Band!

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Primus
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Re: Introductions Thread - Join the Band!

Post by Primus »

Ok..i cant hold it back anymore...with the regard to avadars.....uncanny resemblance or not...bitflipr = Sheldon.
THE ONE AND THE PRIME....NEVER FORGOTTEN
Primus
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Primus »

Greetings bitflipr,pesky,Dumnbunny,Al,Flexi....welcome aboard.
Semi-Retired Gamer
Wild-Eyed Zealot
FLGS: Wizard's Asylum

Post by Semi-Retired Gamer »

Primus wrote:Ok..i cant hold it back anymore...with the regard to avadars.....uncanny resemblance or not...bitflipr = Sheldon.
+1 uncanny resemblance.
Charlie
----------------------------------------------------
I (mainly) blog about role-playing topics at The Semi-Retired Gamer.

Reading: The Lair of Bones by David Farland.
bitflipr
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by bitflipr »

Heh. It must be the silly face I made that gives the resemblance... I've never heard that comparison before until now.
nerdwerds
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by nerdwerds »

My name is Patrick. I live and work in Madison, Wisconsin. I was born in 1976 and didn't discover D&D until 1984, just before Gygax was evicted from TSR.
I've written about my life spent gaming over on my blog: http://nerdwerds.blogspot.com/2012/01/epic-post.html

My experience with Appendix N was minimal growing up. I spent most of my time reading Stephen King, Edgar Allen Poe, H.P.Lovecraft and Clive Barker, and only started reading Tolkien and Edgar Rice Burroughs in my 20s. I've finally started reading about Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser, and plan on moving on to the Dying Earth books after that.

I first saw articles about OSRIC a few years and, I'll be honest, was dismissive of the system as well as the concept. I was thoroughly jaded with D&D in general and I didn't see the point in trying to revise "original" systems. Ironically I was trying to imitate many of the old school conventions of gameplay in my own gaming group by making things more difficult, adding homebrewed rules for injuries and disease, and attempting (but failing) to add msyterious and enigmatic qualities to magic. I started to hear more about the OSR from reading the occasional blog entry on Grognardia and article from Kobold Quarterly. It wasn't until I saw a review for Stars Without Number that I realized that the OSR genre had expanded and grown. I bought Stars Without Number three months ago and was instantly hooked on both the simplicity of play and the straightforwardness of the rules. Labyrinth Lord and Adventurer, Conqueror, King were both soon added to my collection.

I received a copy of Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG two weeks ago and the more I read, the more I fell in love. Now I want to play it, I want to GM it, and having read it from cover to cover I just want more of it! DCC RPG has made me want to attend conventions again, has inspired me to read more of Appendix N, and has reignited my imagination and passion for gaming.
"The Shamrock Shake is a frosty, minty symbol of all that we hold dear. It is shameful that we as a people cannot enjoy this proud, symbolic beverage any more than one week a year. Unless the British government loosens its iron grip on this most Irish of shakes, the streets will once again run red with English blood." - Gerry Adams, leader of Sinn Fein, the IRA's political wing.
Primus
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Primus »

Greetings and welcome aboard nerdwerds.
Flexi
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Flexi »

nerdwerds wrote: DCC RPG has made me want to attend conventions again, has inspired me to read more of Appendix N, and has reignited my imagination and passion for gaming.
+1 for this. DCC has inspired me revisit my old collection of Appendix N books and check out other ones on it's list for myself as well.
ghostisluminous
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by ghostisluminous »

Flexi wrote:
nerdwerds wrote: DCC RPG has made me want to attend conventions again, has inspired me to read more of Appendix N, and has reignited my imagination and passion for gaming.
+1 for this. DCC has inspired me revisit my old collection of Appendix N books and check out other ones on it's list for myself as well.

Agreed. :D
themightyeroc
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by themightyeroc »

Hello, Eric is the name or Mightyeroc as some may know me from various boards! I am an early forties father and Husband. My 10yr old daughter has really come into the RPG fold in the last year and a half. My group of victims tends to be family and friends with me as DM.

I have to be honest, at first I really had NO interest in DCC. Then the last few months as the beta was going around and then when the blogs started blowing up with adventure reports of people playing I thought hmmmm....

I got lucky with some bonus money at work and thought at least I'll like the art! I have to say if D&D was like this I would still be playing it! DCC completely rocked!!!!!!!!!! I am by no means a rules guy and even worse making up rules to alter or change things, but Damn if DCC really didn't give me just about 98.9% of what I had been trying to do in fantasy RPG's!!!!

Thanks GOODMAN GAMES!!!!!!!!
Ah well, who wants to live forever? DIE!
worldoferoc.blogspot.com
Icetower
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Icetower »

Daniel W. Cisek, I play bass. Used to be a Top 40 Disc Jockey, used to own a game store. Been gaming since D and D Basic 2nd Print (Blue and White Dragon Cover).
-Daniel W. Cisek-
See my gaming blog at orcsamongus!
tovokas
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by tovokas »

As a fellow bass player Daniel, I say 'howdy'. :)

And it sound like garyCon should be great fun this year...
Jon Marr
Purple Sorcerer Games
purplesorcerer.com
Eyeball360
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Eyeball360 »

Hi there. Love the ruleset, and I'm looking forward to playing soon. I began playing D&D around 1977, got the books, dice and Caverns of Quasqueton for my birthday in 1978 and have been DMing and playing ever since.
8bitlover
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by 8bitlover »

Hi my name is Johann, I'm another gamer from the great white north. I live in Vancouver BC and I have been playing RPG's going on 25 years now.
I have played everything under sun. DCC is my current favorite and since it's release, my group and I have been playing it every Friday. Out of this world art and nail biting action why look anywhere else. =P
Primus
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Primus »

Greetings 8bitlover,welcome aboard.
Zargon
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Zargon »

Hi everyone,

I'm an avid fan of fantasy roleplaying material: dice, miniatures, terrain, literature, film, and of course the games. I come to DCC RPG from a long marriage with Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (WFRP), as I've been slowly lured by the temptress that is the D20 towards D&D over the years.
Alas, as I write this glancing at my new copy of Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG, I feel something that might be the start of a beautiful new relationship and I smile to myself thinking how sweet it is... 8)
Fables of the Borderlands - #1 DCC campaign on Obsidian Portal!
Laika
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Laika »

My name is Chris aka Bruegh aka Kit aka Laika

I've been role-playing since about 1979 when my friends had the 1st ed rulebooks and I got the box set with a red dragon on the front, light blue monochrome rulebook, and in place of dice: cut-out chits you were meant to put in a bag and draw a random number. Several years passed, then a new friend showed me RuneQuest. Things were never the same again. We strove for greater realism and skill-based systems. We scoffed and laughed at level systems and we got more and more complex as we went. GURPS, Palladium, and Hero systems all had their day with my groups though we still found time for Villains and Vigilantes, Paranoia, Gamma World and the like. Alternity was a favorite of mine but was a bit too complex for most of the people I tried to spring it on. The simplified version came out with Gamma World Alternity edition (5th?) and GURPS Lite/Hellboy offered new promise as well, but it was fleeting. Every time it got to the "make up an adventure" phase, the complexity reasserted itself with new vigour and I was bogged down making monsters and NPCs until I no longer wanted to play. I even gave 4th a chance and I thought it had some great features, but a single combat taking all night and the (don't say it!) video game-ness of it made it a bad fit for me. True20 was my last stop before I got here and it's good. Damn good, but very hard to convince anyone to play. DCC pulls people in. They see that cover and the art and just seem to naturally want to join in. I who have hated, scoffed, and attacked level-based systems stand repentant - I was wrong. I see that in that quest, we lost track of the fun. Well, it's back now. Prep time? Prep time you say?? Last night, I ran something off the top of my head and I think it may have been pretty good. Zero prep-time! DCC, I'm home.

P.S. I just realized I forgot to mention Aftermath - anyone out there ever played Aftermath? Let's sacrifice any semblance of fun for realistic simulation! They had bullet charts to see how far a shot penetrated and whether you hit the bones and internal organs and what the effect of minor liver damage was.
Pesky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Pesky »

Welcome Laika and Zargon! Hopefully you find this group of folks as cool and helpful as I do.
Terry Olson
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Laika wrote:I just realized I forgot to mention Aftermath - anyone out there ever played Aftermath?
Aftermath was a great game! -- if you like to complain about games... :twisted:
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Teflon Billy
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Teflon Billy »

My name's Jeff. I used to be pretty omnipresent at EN World, was an ENnies judge for 6 or 7 years running and am now a mod over at circvsmaximvs.com

Bought DCC on a whim about a month ago, read it twice in two days, switched our weekly game ver and haven't looked back :)

Hola.
Rythwold
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Rythwold »

Hi Folks - I bought a copy of the DCC RPG rulebook and it prettty much blew the back of my head off. Definately the best illustrated and written book that I’ve found published after 1990.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

Rythwold wrote:Definately the best illustrated and written book that I’ve found published after 1990.
Agreed, at least for my tastes. While I have some RPGs with pretty amazing color artwork, there's something about basic B&W that just screams "old school" to me! 8)
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Keizer Ghidorah
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Keizer Ghidorah »

Hot dog! Got my copy of the 2nd edition & my Zocchi dice today! Time to get reading!
Nnesk
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Nnesk »

Heya all, good to be here.

My name's Eran, a long time GM of many systems and seldom a player of anything. Unfortunately.
I'm a fan of the OSR, but never found a system that actually manages to bring the old school feel to the table, instead of just imitating the early editions of D&D. (Which are nice and all, but totally obsolete in my taste). That is, until DCC of course! Wrote a few praising words here.

Used to own a gaming store in Israel, currently living in London, and will probably be looking for a DCC RPG group soon, if anyone's interested. (PM me).
Tactica
Primum non tedium
lithui
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by lithui »

Hi all,
Picked up DCC and loved it, introduced it to my regular gaming gang and they're very taken with it too. Been gaming since the 80's, have run dozens of campaigns and systems, lately it's been homebrew with high emphasis on plot and storyline (and minimal mechanics and tables) so a little gung-ho dungeon bashing and Appendix N weirdness is a nice change and throwback to the old days.
Based in Kingston in southwest London UK.
Thanks for all the tips and clarifications here. Much enjoyed and appreciated!
cheers, Ash
Zaph
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Zaph »

Hi All,

Just picked up a copy of the rules because I was intrigued about what I had read, and I'm really impressed! I haven't gamed in ages, and I hope to give it a shot online with some friends.

Aaron

Return to “DCC RPG General”