Introductions Thread - Join the Band!

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Re: Introductions Thread - Join the Band!

Post by finarvyn »

A great story. Nice to see fellow old-school D&D'ers who find DCC. I think that's the style of gaming that Joseph wanted to capture and I'm glad you found us! 8)
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

Welcome aboard atomtan. That's an awesome story, you deserve an award for that. :)
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

Great story Atomtan! Yrah, welcome to the party.
Reverend Dakota Jesus Ultimak, S.S.M.o.t.S.M.S., D.M.

(Dungeon) Master In Chief of Crawl! fanzine. - http://www.crawlfanzine.com/

"[...] there is no doubt that Dungeons and Dragons and its imitators are right out of the pit of hell." - William Schnoebelen, Straight talk on Dungeons & Dragons
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

atomtan wrote:My gateway game was D&D, the basic set, when I was 5. My brother allowed me to sit in for an absent player, and I rolled up a fighter named Farthead.
Do you ever have the opportunity to whip out ol' Farthead and play him again these days...? :wink:

btw, I'm pronouncing that name as "Far-Theed". :mrgreen:
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
ZenDog
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by ZenDog »

Hey up, all. My story is probably pretty standard. I started back in '81 with Tunnels & Trolls, then B/X D&D, then our group got the AD&D books, but didn't use the rules just strip-mined it for cool monsters, magic, and classes for our Basic game. Runequest was big favourite, as was Bushido. Played a ton of other games during the early 80's, but stopped in '87 when I moved. Played a little in the early 90's (GURPS mostly but some AD&D too). Then got into the hobby again in 2003. Haven't liked any of the WOTC versions of D&D (Yet) but really loved all the OSR stuff.

Got my copy of DCC (along with ACKS) in a trade for Warhammer 1st and 2nd ed boxed sets. I already had the ACKs pdf and liked it enough to jump in for the Companion Kickstarter, didn't really know much about DCC other than the artwork was cool, funky dice, and the Appendix N basis. Anyway read it and it's my favourite version of 'the game'. Love the spells, and the whole vibe.
vogless
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by vogless »

Hello!

More of a reintroduction here as I've loved the DCC series from the start, but I've been gone since 4th edition arrived....

I've been playing since the early 80's with the old red box and 1st AD&D up through 3.5. Since then, I've been pretty much out of RPG's doing mostly historical wargamming.

Had a chance to do some playtesting for DCC with Doug Kovacs last year and it was a blast! Pre-ordered the book and I think it's one of the finest I've ever owned. Just picked up some of the new modules and am struck just how much they remind me of Otis' artwork in tone.

Just pre-reged for Gary Con, so I was too late for any DCC RPG. I'll be in a Rappan Athuk game instead. Hopefully next year. No real plans beyond that as the old gang has pretty much scattered to the winds. I will be keeping up with the modules and enjoying them!
Jim Skach
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Jim Skach »

Welcome....

And which suburbs of the windy city?
vogless
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by vogless »

Aurora.
Kobayashi
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Kobayashi »

Whoops, my presentation is long overdue !

So Alexandre, born in 1972, living in France, home of the brie and land of the fries :mrgreen: .

Started gaming in 1983 and now I'm writing my own rpgs or translating those I like (like Barbarians of Lemuria or Sword & Wizardry White Box).

I am the GM most of the time but get to play once in a while. With my two gaming groups we did try and enjoyed a lot of things (from The One Ring to Deadlands, to Yggdrasil, to Savage World and many, many "indie" games). I think it's always good to go out of your comfort zone as a player or a gm from times to times.

I stumbled across Dungeon Crawl Classics while roaming the OSR blogosphere, pre-ordered all I could and it made me a very, very happy GM.

It's gritty yet humorous, detailed without being cumbersome and it is a blast to play. It reminds me of the old Warhammer FRP, the Thundarr and Korgoth of Barbaria cartoons, Howard's and Vance's books... I'm sure you all know what I mean.

And since the release of the Age of Cthulhu adventures, I would love to see Goodman Games' take on the action/horror genre.

Horror Crawl Classics !

Start with 0 level characters and then go hunt the supernatural in our Hammer inspired 19th century Earth !

:oops:

Sorry, got carried away...
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Actually, a 3pp is doing exactly what you ask for with Transyvanian Adventures. Very much Hammer. Very much Horror Crawl Classics. Details here: http://goodman-games.com/forums/viewtop ... 70&t=21452
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Vile
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Vile »

Hullo there - yet another old school RPG forum to procrastinate on! :P

You might have come across me on other forums under the same user name and anarchist bird pooh avatar, or you might know me through Dreamscape Design and my Holmes Basic simulacrum, BLUEHOLME™ Prentice Rules. More likely you don't know me at all! I'm here because I've always planned to do a second edition of BLUEHOLME™ that takes the d20 system and pares it back for old-school play, because my "endgame" was always the production of multi-system adventures. Then I happened to glance through the introduction to DCC on someone's tablet, and I realised that the hard work has already been done. So, I'm here to learn more about what this is all about and how it fits into my plans for world domination! :mrgreen:
Skyscraper
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Skyscraper »

Kobayashi wrote:So Alexandre, born in 1972, living in France, home of the brie and land of the fries :mrgreen: .
Wouldn't the belgians contest this? Or do fries really originate from France?
Maledict Brothbreath, level 4 warrior, STR 16 (+2) AGI 7 (-1) STA 12 PER 9 INT 10 LUCK 15 (+1), AC: 16 Refl: +1 Fort: +2 Will: +1; lawful; Armor of the Lion and Lily's Blade.

Brother Sufferus, level 4 cleric, STR 13 (+1) AGI 15 (+1) STA 11 PER 13 (+1) INT 10 LUCK 9, AC: 11 (13 if wounded, 15 if down to half hit points), Refl: +3 Fort: +2 Will: +3, chaotic, Robe of the Faith, Scourge of the Maimed One, Darts of Pain.
Skars
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Skars »

Vlaamse Frites! Belgian...(or I guess Spanish if you considered who controlled the territory at the time) ;)
Silmarillius
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Silmarillius »

Hello Everyone,

My name is Silmarillius. I've been a gamer for over 12 years, first playing D&D 3.0 and then 3.5. I have also been a DM for D&D 3.5, D20 Star Wars and D20 Modern for a few years. Within the last year I have been a player in DCC, and I'm an absolute fan. So much so, that I have decided to start getting into the adventure design world.

I currently have a thread going regarding some modules that I'm designing for the Transylvania Adventures Module that is upcoming, which can be found here: http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/vie ... 70&t=44460

I'm also attempting to get a DCC Magazine off the ground with reverenddak (more to follow on that). I hope that you can welcome me into the DCC community :).
Caffiend
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Caffiend »

Oh, I am so very late in joining up here. Been on the periphery as of late (G+ and the like), but that's just silly, right? So, for the $.50 bio ~

I was asked to play D&D in the 80's, but my parents raised me under a really heavy, religious rock. Big fat "no" there. When I met the geek who became my fiance, it quickly became clear that I'd best pull myself out from under that rock's shadow lest I wind up a gamer widow. My introduction to RPGs was Call of Cthulhu, and the dam was breached. Living in the Vegas area meant a steady stock of players, gaming stores, and plenty of new systems to try out, but since moving to a smaller town on the opposite side of the continent, all of the above been pretty sparse. Last year's Free RPG Day (at a store over an hour away) was the first I'd heard of DCC. Halfway through the demo, I bought the book and announced that I'd finally found the first game I wanted to run. It just strikes a chord, and as DM I get to be creative and anal-retentive at the same time. It's satisfying on so many levels... Based on location and scheduling difficulties {being self-employed does not, in fact, mean oodles of spare time} my participation in the World Tour has been sporadic thus far, but can only get better as the year progresses. Also, looking forward to playing at Gen Con, and getting a first-hand feel for how others run. (I'll call it "research".)

So... um.... HI! :D
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

"Hi" back atcha and I'm glad you found DCC. I agree that it has a great feel to it -- much like the fiction I like to read!

I've never quite understood why so many parents were against rpgs, except perhaps they didn't really understand the level of creativity and thinking that goes into play.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
Skyscraper
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Skyscraper »

finarvyn wrote: I've never quite understood why so many parents were against rpgs, except perhaps they didn't really understand the level of creativity and thinking that goes into play.
'Tis the work of the devil!
Maledict Brothbreath, level 4 warrior, STR 16 (+2) AGI 7 (-1) STA 12 PER 9 INT 10 LUCK 15 (+1), AC: 16 Refl: +1 Fort: +2 Will: +1; lawful; Armor of the Lion and Lily's Blade.

Brother Sufferus, level 4 cleric, STR 13 (+1) AGI 15 (+1) STA 11 PER 13 (+1) INT 10 LUCK 9, AC: 11 (13 if wounded, 15 if down to half hit points), Refl: +3 Fort: +2 Will: +3, chaotic, Robe of the Faith, Scourge of the Maimed One, Darts of Pain.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

finarvyn wrote:I've never quite understood why so many parents were against rpgs...
The short answer is: Misinformation.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Chilmax
Gongfarmer

Post by Chilmax »

Hello everybody !

I am Pascal and I live on the French Riviera. To make a long story short, my first contact with RPG was in 1982 with the Red Box. Since that time I played and tested a lot (I really mean a lot) of games, mainly as GM.

Recently, I came across the OSR and DCC. My two little boys are now old enough for a new game experiment, so I decided to start using DCC. A friend of mine, Kobayashi, suggested me to come here and ask any question I could have about the game. He told that the community around DCC is very friendly and reactive :mrgreen: . So, here I am !

Thanks.
Pascal.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Welcome!
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
James D.
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by James D. »

Hello from Detroit. Same story as most here. Been playing D&D and other RPGs off and on for 30 odd years, starting with the basic set and first edition. The group just started DCC RPG last week and we had a blast. It’s nice to play a game without piles of books being needed.
I want to give a special shout out to Purple Sorcerer. Your apps are fantastic! The 0-Level character creator cracks me up, and the crawler app speeds up game play immensely. If you are at Gen Con this year, I’ll be happy to buy you a drink or three.

James D.
Exedor
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Exedor »

I played Moldvay Basic and AD&D until around 1988, when I was 16. I stopped playing D&D for 21 years, when I met a gaming group in NYC in 2009. We played 3.5, and I started DMing. I wanted to improve gameplay and pushed to move to Pathfinder.

Enter DCC. I feel D&D in all its versions has been superseded. Running my first Funnel next weekend!
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

Exedor wrote:Enter DCC. I feel D&D in all its versions has been superseded.
I won't go that far, as I still enjoy my OD&D campaigns, but DCC really does have a spark that most of the editions of D&D were lacking. There is a certain unpredictability that makes the game really fun...
Marv / Finarvyn

-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
maxinstuff
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by maxinstuff »

Hey there everyone :)

Just recently picked up DCC RPG and love the book. Really looking forward to running some games with it, that is if I can find a couple more players. The character funnel really needs at least 3 players to be workable (IMO).

I have started a thread in the community sub-forum to see if anyone wants in on the game.
Mazkarel
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Mazkarel »

What up? Name's Eric, live a little outside of Milwaukee in WI. Got to the DCC party a little late; and never played OD&D or the Beige box or the Basic, Expert sets. My first exposure to gaming was when I was 8 in '89 and got the "New Easy to Master" D&D boxed set for Christmas. Man, that game was sweet. It had all these little foldable paper counters for the monsters and NPCs and these plastic minifigs for the characters. I still remember that the "boss" of that dungeon was a wizard named Zanzer Tem. I made my little brother (very little, he was 3 at the time) play with me and I'd fudge the die rolls when he died (probably because he was adventuring alone in a dungeon made for 4-6 PCs by himself) just so we could keep playing. I asked for RPG-related things for birthdays and Christmas until I started high school, when I just didn't have the time to play anymore. I basically only played with my brother and another kid in my grade from across the street, and with things like a job and chasing girls gaming just wasn't as exciting as it once was. This marked my first hiatus from gaming.

Then in college (2002) a dorm buddy loaned me Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 and I fell in love with hobby again. It was a lot easier to find people to game with at a university, so I picked up the 3E books since they were readily available at local bookstores. I thought the game played really well, we had a really cool and illustrative DM and gaming was really fun again. I had a pretty decent school job, so I was able to afford to buy most of the supplements and accessories. Over time, though, we all kinda started to get disillusioned with the game, there was a constant need to refer to rulebooks and setting guides, and with each new release I found myself feeling like the whole 3E/3.5E system was just a cash grab by Wizards. Then they announced 4E, I looked at my stack of assembled gaming material, and was officially out. So that was my second break from gaming.

A couple years down the road (around 2009) I bumped into one of those old college buddies at a bar. We talked about school, how life had changed, and eventually to how we used to spend our days. He said he was still playing, in a new system called Pathfinder, and it piqued my curiousity to the point that I looked it up a couple days later. I bought the setting book (I don't think the core rulebook was out yet) and I thought it was fantastic. It was evocative and fun. It had something for everyone. I wasn't going to have to buy 15 "optional" supplements to play one published adventure. So I started playing that, DMing some, and it was fun. Then we had our second child, it got harder and harder to find time for gaming, and (I don't mean this to be nasty; I do still like the game) I started to feel like Pathfinder was just slowly turning into full-fledged 3/3.5E. Supplements, accessories and adventures released at a near-constant churn. And they started referring to monsters and classes I didn't have in adventures. So I was out again.

Then just a couple months ago, I'm cruising on the paizo.com boards just looking to kill some time, and there's a reference to something called DCC. It sounded interesting, and it seemed like all these "old-school" D&D expats were really into it. So I started looking into it, what it was, how it worked and played, and I was really intrigued. I found the Goodman Games forums and seeing terms like OSR and references to D&D games long OOP by the time I started playing and was really taken by the passion and close-knitness of the community. I found out what the OSR was, how there were like a billion different rules sets trying to recreate the feeling of cracking open that first RPG book (or box) and really wanted to give it a try. So I ordered the DCC core book (Wizard Cover) and Sailors on the Starless Sea from a local online gaming store. I got the book and was literally *blown away*. I hadn't seen anything like it, and yet it felt somehow... familiar. I forced my wife to sit down and do a session with me (she was like "Ummm... yeah, babe? This is weird and creepy" which was awesome!) and from then on I was hooked. I snapped up most of the adventures, mainly just to read because (1) they are *that* good, and (2) with two kids and two working parents, it's hard enough to find time to watch a movie, let alone host or even go to a gaming session. I just found one of the two items I've been looking for for a LONG time (a mint copy of Doom of the Savage Kings) and actually purchased it from one of the guys who posts here because I knew everything would be on the up-and-up! Now if Goodman Games will just do a reprint of the gold foil cover my collection will be complete... bwahahahahahaha!!!

Anyways, long-time listener, first-time caller, didn't mean for this post to get so long. Just glad to be part of the "Band" and I vow that one day, when time allows, I will run a DCC campaign! A big thanks to all the posters on here, you guys (and ladies) seem like total stand-up folks who have great insight and this awesome camaraderie. And, of course, a second big thank-you to Goodman Games, and everyone associated with it, for putting out such an incredible game!

Return to “DCC RPG General”