Introductions Thread - Join the Band!

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Setroxs
Ill-Fated Peasant

Re: Introductions Thread - Join the Band!

Post by Setroxs »

finarvyn wrote:To "win" at CoC you essentially avoid losing your mind.
That is basically what was bugging my players :P I runned a pretty long X-File / Delta Green type storyline that lasted over a year, but even then, the end still was grim and dark. No glory, no recognition, only the feeling that evil has been slowed for a while.
I honestly felt that giving a gruesome, dark and twisty end to your character was a fulfilling enough end to a game and I really liked it when my players and I went completely cinematics for an entire scene or two during each gaming session, but again, the dark and twisty mood of the game got the best of us.

And that's why DCC is great. Even the rulebook as that old-school Jack Vance humor built in. Add a little bit of Terry Pratchett, some Edgar Rice Burrough, heroes in the style of Robert E. Howard and baddies from Lovecraft, Derleth and H.G. Wells and you got a a mix between the eldricht horrors from beyond space and the gritty and bloody heroes that are forced to do good in order to get glory and gold more than to really save the world. Imagine Conan putting his word through Cthulhu's spawn's head while Hounds of Tindalos are harassing him through time, wounds appearing on him as he looses a fight while he was a child...

DCC also encouraged me to start reading Appendix N books again. While I am stocked with almost everything written by Lovecraft, Ashton Smith, Derleth and other writers of the Mythos, reading Jack Vance again made me realized how much I missed living stories like that with my players...
Clangador
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Clangador »

I have been playing D&D since 1978 when I was introduced to it in middle school. I started with Holmes Basic and spent most of the '80s playing AD&D. I stopped playing D&D after 2e came out. I spend the next ten years or so playing GURPS. When 3e came out in 2000, I started playing D&D again. I don't like 4e as it feels like a video game to me. I look forward to seeing D&D Next. I currently play Pathfinder (and other RPGs) with a local group who meets once every two week. I just got running an OSRIC adventure for our group.

Last week I received a hard copy of DDC that I ordered off Amazon. I had the pdf before that, but I need the real book to run a game. Tomorrow I am running my first game of DCC for a couple of my friends from high school. One of these friends is the guy who introduced me to D&D in middle school. I really like what I have read of DCC and it is going to be a go-to game for my in the foreseeable future.
~Clangador

I'm not a wizard but I play one in DCC...

Join the DCC RPG Rocks Facebook group.
reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

Clangador wrote:I have been playing D&D since 1978 when I was introduced to it in middle school. I started with Holmes Basic and spent most of the '80s playing AD&D. I stopped playing D&D after 2e came out. I spend the next ten years or so playing GURPS. When 3e came out in 2000, I started playing D&D again. I don't like 4e as it feels like a video game to me. I look forward to seeing D&D Next. I currently play Pathfinder (and other RPGs) with a local group who meets once every two week. I just got running an OSRIC adventure for our group.

Last week I received a hard copy of DDC that I ordered off Amazon. I had the pdf before that, but I need the real book to run a game. Tomorrow I am running my first game of DCC for a couple of my friends from high school. One of these friends is the guy who introduced me to D&D in middle school. I really like what I have read of DCC and it is going to be a go-to game for my in the foreseeable future.
Awesome! I'm excited for you. We have a very similar history, tho I was still in elementary when I first touched the Holmes box. Played all kinds of RPGs during the 80s, but AD&D dominated for the most part. Played like 1 session of 2e, never got "into" it. Military, College, girls, beer and rock concerts kind of took most of my time. But started playing 3e in 2000 and haven't stopped gaming since.
Reverend Dakota Jesus Ultimak, S.S.M.o.t.S.M.S., D.M.

(Dungeon) Master In Chief of Crawl! fanzine. - http://www.crawlfanzine.com/

"[...] there is no doubt that Dungeons and Dragons and its imitators are right out of the pit of hell." - William Schnoebelen, Straight talk on Dungeons & Dragons
DrBargle
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by DrBargle »

Hi,

I received my copy of DCC RPG earlier this week and, well, wow! I'm itching to play. I enjoy quite a lot of OSR-ish games, but DCC has the most distinctive atmosphere. I don't think that I've seen dangerous, chaotic magic done better - it was what the setting of WFRP1e promised us, but never delivered in the rules. And actually, the echoes of WFRP1e - rather than anything Appendix Nish - are what draw me to the game. WFRP1e is great, but fiddly, doesn't have an awesome magic system, and is possibly too complex to run a satisfactory sandbox (though I harbour ambitions...). DCC RPG, on the other hand, has some of the same atmosphere, especially the humour, with the dials turned right up to promote fantastical adventure over the mundane. In fact, given that my first gaming love was the Fighting Fantasy gamebooks, and my abiding love for Titan, DCC RPG might well be a better system for capturing the world of sword-weilding heroes and mad wizards than AFF2e (much as I like that system, too). Of course, that might be the Russ Nicholson art talking...

Anyway, looking forward to digging into the system with some actual play once my gaming group reconvenes for 2013!
Space_Masters
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Space_Masters »

Hello, everyone. I just picked up the DCC rules and I have to say that this is the RPG I've waited all my life for. I'm usually a GM. I currently run a Pathfinder Spelljammer game and just wrapped up another Pathfinder campaign. I showed one of my players DCC and he's as in love with it as I am. We ran Sailors on the Starless Sea twice with different groups of people in a week. His DCC campaign will begin four days hence and I am supremely excited.
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

Space_Masters wrote:Hello, everyone. I just picked up the DCC rules and I have to say that this is the RPG I've waited all my life for. I'm usually a GM. I currently run a Pathfinder Spelljammer game and just wrapped up another Pathfinder campaign. I showed one of my players DCC and he's as in love with it as I am. We ran Sailors on the Starless Sea twice with different groups of people in a week. His DCC campaign will begin four days hence and I am supremely excited.
So, you're going to both play and run DCC RPG?
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

Ravenheart87 wrote: So, you're going to both play and run DCC RPG?
Right? I know I'm jealous. Full of win.
Reverend Dakota Jesus Ultimak, S.S.M.o.t.S.M.S., D.M.

(Dungeon) Master In Chief of Crawl! fanzine. - http://www.crawlfanzine.com/

"[...] there is no doubt that Dungeons and Dragons and its imitators are right out of the pit of hell." - William Schnoebelen, Straight talk on Dungeons & Dragons
Space_Masters
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Space_Masters »

Ravenheart87 wrote:
Space_Masters wrote:Hello, everyone. I just picked up the DCC rules and I have to say that this is the RPG I've waited all my life for. I'm usually a GM. I currently run a Pathfinder Spelljammer game and just wrapped up another Pathfinder campaign. I showed one of my players DCC and he's as in love with it as I am. We ran Sailors on the Starless Sea twice with different groups of people in a week. His DCC campaign will begin four days hence and I am supremely excited.
I wish. I was the GM for the Pathfinder game we just finished and am the GM for the Pathfinder game on another day of the week. I'll just be a PC in DCC. But this book is inspiring to read. I'll definitely be adopting a lot of the philosophy of DCC into my Pathfinder.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Ravenheart87 wrote:
I know! Lucky bastard, eh?

I mean, I love running this game, but I'd enjoy playing the occasional scenario too!

EDIT: I stand corrected. Poor blighter! I find DCC far easier to run (and far easier/more fun to design for) than 3e or Pathfinder.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

You should join my PbP game, RC. They could use another warm body, I think.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

beermotor wrote:You should join my PbP game, RC. They could use another warm body, I think.
I was afraid that my posting speed would slow you down, and I didn't want your game to suffer. But, if you want another person........ :D
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

beermotor wrote:You should join my PbP game, RC. They could use another warm body, I think.
Are the players looking for cannon fodder or another member? :)
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Well, it is a 0 level funnel, sooo...
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

There may be a good opportunity to have another expedition shortly... I think they're going to TPK. :-)
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

beermotor wrote:There may be a good opportunity to have another expedition shortly... I think they're going to TPK. :-)
A vote of confidence, if ever there was one! :mrgreen:
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Ravenheart87 wrote:
Are the players looking for cannon fodder or another member? :)
I used the PS generator, not on "power mode", and my initial set includes a dumb but lucky squire with good Stamina, a dumb but agile (18!) radish farmer, a very personable herbalist with a bit of smarts but nothing else, and a gravedigger who might end up needing a grave before his friends. I'll name them and shoot them to you by tomorrow, and you can work them in as you see fit.
SoBH pbp:

gmgeoff
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by gmgeoff »

Howdy folks,

Child of the 80s here. Grew up reading through a relative's D&D Basic materials followed by the AD&D core books.

Played a few games of AD&D in high school, but fast forward through college and working life, haven't had much time since then.

Just DM'd my first DCC session over the holiday weekend (Portal Under the Stars), and my group of tabletop beginners had a blast.

Was good to stretch out my rusty DM skills as I'm now ready to start really tweaking the new adventure modules (and, time permitting, some of the classics I grew up reading).

Glad to see this little corner the internet exists :)
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Welcome. Glad to see you here!
SoBH pbp:

Sveden
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Sveden »

Hey all, been watching a lot of Adventure Time lately which has peaked my interest in DCC. I play a lot of Pathfinder but am looking for a different experience.

Made the plunge and bought a few modules and plan on running Starless Sea for a group of four players in a few weeks.

Devoured the core rule book in about a day. Really stoked to give this a shot. Only played one session of DCC as a substitute player in a friend's campaign.
Link to Sveden's PCs
PC descriptions/Status
Bypeld: Wizard - Alchemist AL:N AC:10 HP:6 Weapon:Staff or Longsword +1 (1d4+1) 13/6/9/11/15/8(7)
Orastes: Wizard - Grave Digger AL:C AC:10 HP:6 Weapon:Shovel -2 (1d4-2) 4/12/12/10/14/10
Tonunt: Thief - Weaver AL:L AC:11 HP:6 Weapon:Dagger -2 (1d4-2) 5/13/9(11)/5/6/13
Portly Trim: Cleric AC:11
Fritz: Thief AC:10
Redbox DM
Gongfarmer

Post by Redbox DM »

I started playing Mentzer's redbox rules in the school library, it was the fall of 1983. I've spent countless hours since, running, playing, writing, teaching, dreaming and creating worlds of fantasy adventure.

I've played nearly every system that I've encountered since '83. Always yearning to find again, for the first time, that realm of strangeness I encountered so long ago.

In DCC, I've come home again.

Thanks Joe!
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

Redbox DM wrote:In DCC, I've come home again.
This is a common sentiment. I remember the thrill of first seeing the little brown OD&D books in the 1970's and one thing that leaped out at me back then was the notion that I could take this box of rules and do almost anything with it.

I've played dozens of RPGs over the decades and quite a few were fun, but only Amber Diceless had given me a similar thrill of something fresh and spectacular.

DCC does it for me again. Not just that it's easy to run, because I have OD&D or C&C for that, but the artwork just yanks visions of old fiction (Conan, Fafhrd/Mouser, Elric, etc.) into my game. DCC is dark and edgy and unpredictable.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
CyricPL
Gongfarmer

Post by CyricPL »

Hi guys, my name is John, I've been playing since I discovered 2nd Ed D&D in 1993, my freshman year of HS (not counting my earlier experiences with HeroQuest). I've played a lot of different games over the years, and just recently decided to end my regular Savage Worlds game and start a DCC game -- once I finally read the rules, I instantly fell in love. I was a big supporter of 3.0 when it first came out, but not even having played it I can already say with a good degree of confidence that DCC may well be my favorite version of D&D.

I've already got some people I recognize on here connected to me on Google+ (https://plus.google.com/u/0/108348525490699178519 - I hope I did that link right ...)
K Peterson
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by K Peterson »

Hey there. I've been a lurker here for some time - made one post, and tuned in and out over the past 7 months or so. I thought an introduction might be in order.

I've been a gamer since '81. First introduced to Holmes Basic D&D by my older brother and one of his friends, and then received Moldvay Basic D&D as a Xmas gift that Winter. (I expect my mother ordered it out of a Sears catalog after much pestering from my 10-year old self). Played mostly AD&D through the mid-80s, dropped out of gaming altogether throughout most of the 90s, and got back into it in the early '00s. Continued gaming on a near-weekly basis ever since, bouncing around in a couple gaming groups over 10 years. Lived in Seattle for most of my life, now in my early 40s.

I read about DCC via some OSR blogs early last year, but was reluctant to get into it considering how crazy the system sounded. I picked up a few of the modules because I was captivated by the cover art, and became more impressed as I read through them and marveled at the cartography. Eventually, I preordered the shiny, limited edition of DCC but haven't gotten around to playing it - other systems and campaigns were the focus for 2012. The past month I've re-read the core book, and I'm feeling an itch to run it some time in 2013. (Might be a little challenging with my current gaming group. Outsourcing other gamers might be necessary. We'll see).
Primus
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Primus »

Greetings to CyricPL & K Peterson......welcome aboard.
THE ONE AND THE PRIME....NEVER FORGOTTEN
atomtan
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by atomtan »

Hello everyone!
I live in the middle of Iowa...well, not so much the middle but a little bit down and to the right of the middle. I just recently discovered DCC RPG, and fell in love instantly.

My gateway game was D&D, the basic set, when I was 5. My brother allowed me to sit in for an absent player, and I rolled up a fighter named Farthead. I was just meant to be a warm, squishy body acting as cannon fodder in the big fight, but my brother and I realized that I had a knack for this role-playing thing. A few years later, I introduced the game to my friends at recess. When my brother graduated and moved out of the house he gave me all of his AD&D books.

It was about that time when my best friend told me about a group that he started playing in with his brother at the local university. It took some convincing to get my parents to allow their junior high kid to hang out with college kids. After about a month of begging, they drove me to the student union where I walked in with my duffle bag of AD&D books to find the group playing GURPS. I skimmed through the Basic book and created a character and prepared for something that would no longer be a hobby, but a lifestyle.

I spent about 4 years playing every Saturday for 12 hours, being introduced to ShadowRun, AD&D 2nd ed., Vampire, BattleTech, Car Wars, Hero, Magic: The Gathering, and a bunch of homebrew games. I enjoyed every game, well, all but one, and I won't mention that one. *shiver*

Now I was able to drive and had a car of my own, so Saturdays turned into Fridays after school, the 12-hour Saturday game, and then a 6-hour game on Sunday. This was my weekend schedule for another 5 years, when I somehow met a girl at the university.

We dated for a few months, and I didn't know how to break the news to her that I was a card-carrying die-roller. Yup, where a condom should've been hidden in my wallet, there was an RPGA card instead. So I had stopped playing. Finally, I got up the nerve to introduce her to my dirty little secret one Saturday afternoon. She was cool with the scene, and told me she had friends in her high school drama club who played. I went back to playing on Saturdays and every other Friday, while she did her thesis research.

We married in August of 2000. One of her co-workers suggested that we go to a little resort town in Wisconsin named Lake Geneva for our honeymoon. This person was not aware of my hobby. In my head I was a little kid on Christmas morning, but on the outside I reluctantly agreed saying "Sure, I guess we could find something to do there." During the wedding planning I was able to sneak the expense for GenCon badges by her. I was able to hide this from her until the day before the convention when we stopped into a bookstore once owned by Margaret Weiss and the guy behind the counter asked if we were going to the con. I said we were, my wife looked at me confused, and I picked up an AD&D book and showed her the address for the TSR headquarters. She had a good laugh at the coincidence. We attended the con, she had a blast, and began to appreciate my hobby and the world of sci-fi and fantasy.

We are still married, have an 8-year old gamer boy, and live in another town. I haven't been able to find other gamers in this town, and have been slowly increasing my convention attendance each year to get my fix. DCC RPG will be the game I run at cons for quite a long time.

Thank you Goodman Games and community.

Return to “DCC RPG General”