Introductions Thread - Join the Band!

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

sillywilly4
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Tabletop Gaming Center, San Antonio, TX

Re: Introductions Thread - Join the Band!

Post by sillywilly4 »

Hey, my name is Bill from the San Antonio area. I've been looking into DCC for a little while and I finally decided to ask a question on G+. This question was answered by a barrage of friendly players, one of which is sending me a rule book and a free adventure.

I'm blown away by how awesome this community has been already. I can't wait to see what game brings you all together.

Hope to see you all across the table soon!!!
Woodland Mutant
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Mayhem Games, Des Moines, IA

Post by Woodland Mutant »

My name is Dave, from Iowa--A desolate, blasted land of the Great Plains rife with wandering fertility cults, mutant cattle and cannibalistic farm folk.

I've been gaming since 1985. My dad's friend got married and had to give me (a young 12 year old nerd) boxes and boxes of AD&D books and many other weird early 80's and late 70's RPG games.

I was hooked!

I remember always having this stack of graph paper for dungeon maps and umpteen books that I'd take to middle school classes and study hall.

Still gaming at 42 years old with my peeps. DCC is my absolute favorite game. I can do anything with it, make any world or background and there's enough meat in the rulebook and modules to carry it a long, long ways! The 3rd Party stuff is flipping awesome too.

Keep up the good work!
siefertma
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Games Universe

Post by siefertma »

Heyas!

This is Mark A. Siefert, second-time-poster, long time gamer. I've been role-playing since I was 12 when I picked up a battered copy of Star Frontiers from the clearance bin at the local Toys R Us. However, after a Bible-beating uncle told my mother all about the Satanic dangers of fantasy role-playing, I became of those sad kids whose parents wouldn't let him play D&D. Now that I'm old enough to tell my family where to stick their superstitions, I've been making up for lost time with gusto. I make the annual pilgrimage to Lake Geneva for Gary Con and last month enjoyed my second GameHole Con. I also organize a local OSR gaming group and I've been keeping a blog related to my role-playing obsession. My numerous gaming interests include Empire of the Petal Throne, Traveller, Savage Worlds, just about anything Cthulhu Mythos-related, and many more.

One of the new members of our OSR group wants to run DCC and, having played it a few times at cons, I'll be getting in on that. Also, I chipped in on the MCC Kickstarter and I'm really looking forward to seeing how that turns out. In light of that, I thought it best to come out to the Goodman Games community.
Later,

Mark A. Siefert
Enjoy more old school gaming fun and madness at No School Like The Old School
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Welcome. :)

Are you on Google Plus by any chance? There is also a lot of DCC activity there....
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
TriceTheTraveller
Gongfarmer
FLGS: Maximum Distractions, Chicagoland Games, Da Sorce

Post by TriceTheTraveller »

I'm Joshua in Chicago

I'm a big RPG/Tabletop enthusiast, nerd, fanboy. I'm generally game for anything.

I've been playing RPG's since 1980 starting with Dungeons and Dragons against the Giants. My DM either hated me or was old school, I lost so many characters in his games that I had played every class that was available from both Dragon magazine and the basic books. (Most memorable were the twin Jesters, which I believe I played after the Anti Paladin ran off a cliff or something.)

I moved to Chicago in 1992 and started going to gencon every year since, mostly volunteering when I couldn't afford to pay my way, or later in life couldn't justify spoiling myself just going to play.

I have a tendency to get obsessed in introducing things I'm passionate about, sadly that passion passes after a bit and I look for new things though gaming has been consistent.

DCC has ignited my passion I can absolutely run funnels at a couple of stores here in Chicago. I'm starting a campaign for our group in Skokie on Tuesday nights and I'll be running a Tournament Funnel at a convention here in January.

Too much?
narpet
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by narpet »

Greetings to all,

I'm new to the fold... been playing PnP RPG's for over 35 years. I of course started with the original D&D. :) Now that I'm older, I'm more of a collector than I am a player, because it's hard for me to find time to get together with a group and do it.

I have been judging/DM'ing/GM'ing/whatever for most of my "career" as a gamer. I have been creating worlds for so many years... and I really enjoy running a great campaign with friends. I personally own more systems and resources than I'm going to name here, but a few of my favorites are: D&D (all editions up to 3.5... not impressed with anything after that), Castles & Crusades, Gamma World (all editions), Alternity and Tunnels & Trolls.

I backed the DCC Kickstarter and just recently got my incredible package. I'm amazed that it took me so long to get into this particular RPG. I love it. I've read about 40% of the entire book so far and I'm very impressed. I haven't been this excited about an RPG in years. So much so, that I just convinced 4 of my workmates to play a game with me next week! For the first time in my life, I'm going to use all published modules (I usually create my own worlds and stories). The Kickstarter came with so much, that we can play for quite some time. :)

I also backed the Mutant Crawl Classics Kickstarter campaign... and I can't wait for that one to come out.

Narpet
Relentless
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: BAM

Post by Relentless »

'lo

My name is Christopher and I live in the sweetest place on earth.

I've been gaming on and off since the early 90's and I've been looking for more imagination and challenge in my games. I just ordered the 4e core book and I'm anxiously awaiting shipping confirmation. (Is Goodman Games west coast based?)

My group doesn't know we are running this yet...but I'm pretty sure they are going to be surprised and amazed shortly!
B_Canote
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Valhalla's Gate

Post by B_Canote »

Greetings All!

I registered a while back, and thought I would finally do an introduction. I started out role playing in 1981 with Advanced Dungeon and Dragons, and then took a break from gaming in 1991 until three or four years ago. That is when a friend of mine who was starting a DCC campaign asked me to play. I fell in love with the system, and decided to run my own DCC campaign last year. I got my 4th printing copy of the rule book a few weeks ago, and judged my first game two weeks ago. I ran a funnel and everyone seemed to have a good time. I have to say, DCC is as fun to run as it is to play!
Hiroo
Gongfarmer
FLGS: Game Keep

Post by Hiroo »

Heya,

Another 1st Gen AD&D'er from the late 70's and early 80's. I left the hobby when Oriental Adventures was new. Attempted to come back to the hobby a few years back. The black hole of Pathfinder first pulled me in. But I bounced off the insanity of well-distilled 3.5e madness.

I travelled many roads of OSR and neo-old school games, sampling. But still having my first ed AD&D books, many of them seemed stale, matching the original in rules structure but lacking the spirit. But following an obscure forum post to DCC, I found my modern home.

DCC matches that flying-by-the-seat-of your pants experience, I had as a 9 y.o. in my friends basement .. we entered a new room and the DM (my older brother) looked panick'ed for a moment, looked at the dog, and then announced we faced horde of "giant fleas!"
soulcatcher78
Wild-Eyed Zealot
FLGS: Game Knight

Post by soulcatcher78 »

Hi there!

Like most I'm a recent convert from the old days. I started with the little brown books my brother brought home from college and graduated to the Modlvay B/X soon after. His next trip home brought the AD&D hardbacks and I was over the moon. I was a heavy AD&D fan until the beginning of 2E when I moved and gave up a regular gaming group. I've experimented with each edition of D&D and several other systems over the last 37 years but I keep being drawn back into S&S style games.

I'm a little late to the table with DCC but that just means I have plenty of reading to do while I try to find a gaming group I can fit into my schedule.

Hope to see you all at Gen Con this year!
Lysandor
Gongfarmer
FLGS: Enchanted Grounds

Post by Lysandor »

I came at DCC backward, the long way, via a swamp of endless sorrow and a high, craggy keep. My mom was a social butterfly and she made new friends. Occasionally, those friends had children of their own and -- once or twice -- they were my age. We'd get thrust together during a dinner party and shuffled outside, or off to a back bedroom somewhere, to entertain ourselves. It was the 70's.

I made a new friend in this way and he had a brother the same age as my sister. We bonded over a game he called "D&D." We "rolled-up" characters and he led us through a fun little adventure book with a strange, purple cover about a "Keep" ("what's that?!") at the edge of a vast wilderness filled with monsters, treasure and, well -- you get the idea. I was hooked.

For the next five years, I lived and breathed Dungeons & Dragons. We played both basic and advanced D&D and a mish-mashed hybrid of both. We freely modified one or the other to fit both. We added a couple of fantastic players along the way; --one of them, a slightly older kid who had a fantastic set of expertly painted miniatures.

When I turned 17 I foreswore tabletop RPG's for girls and guitars, which turned out to be a n00b move, obviously. My kids laugh when I tell them that "D&D" wasn't always so popular with parents, or widely adored in the media. Fortunately, grandma agrees.

I wasn't there for 2e, or 3e. I jumped back in when 4e was a big deal at my local FLGS. My instinct to find a skill or knowledge-based way to play a wizard wasn't terribly popular with the (patient) DM, or the other players at our table. I adapted but starting fishing around for the old rules, which actually led me to Pathfinder. I grew tired of DM'ing Pathfinder, largely because of the sheer variety of cannon "choices" certain players saw as RAW while I saw as entirely "optional."

I heard about D&D Next and when 5e was released, we switched to it. Everyone at our table was "home" again. Except...

One day, out of the blue, my old friend from age 10 tagged me in a Facebook post about DCC. Intrigued, I took the tiniest peek inside and immediately blew a sanity check.

It is 2017. If you find a message in this bottle, please return to the wandering wizard of Rhye (or the nerd who pretends to be him IRL).

Thank you for having me.

--Derek
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Welcome home, Derek.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
mobro
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Saltire Games

Post by mobro »

I thought I did this already but, apparently not.

My TL;DR origin story!

I grew up in small town southwestern Ohio, and was pretty much always a big bookworm. My mom got me interested in comic books, Tolkien, Lovecraft (no, really) and Star Trek at a young age.

In sixth grade I read The Lord of the Rings and it took over my imagination. Not too long after, I tagged along with a friend to a comic book convention in Cincinnati. I actually brought all of my old comic books along to sell - I was done with comics by gosh! I was a fantasy book reader now!

No one wanted to buy my ratty old comics, but while at the convention I did spot something that was to change the next several years of my life. A local game shop called Wanna Play had a booth, and on that booth were miniatures for fantasy roleplaying and wargaming. One of those miniatures was pretty clearly a Balrog (the Ral Partha Balrog, if you are wondering).

I had never seen any such thing and was immediately enthralled and soon obsessed. I learned of D&D from the fellows working the Wanna Play booth, and bought the Balrog (which I was to paint and repaint over the next many years...). Not long after I bought the D&D Basic set box at a local bookstore (this was '81 I guess. ish). D&D and RPG stuff kind of became my new thing. I introduced some kids to it, but also found some kids who were not only already playing, but playing AD&D. Whoa!

So we played D&D (B/X), AD&D, Gamma World, Gangbusters, Call of Cthulhu, Runequest, Champions... we were just a bunch of obnoxious teen boys, out to kill one another's characters or make each other laugh. I also bought and read plenty of things I never actually played... but I think that is part of the experience, too. I mean, I do not believe I am alone in that.

I stopped playing sometime in high school though I kept buying game stuff, Chaosium being my particular favorite company.

I didn't play RPGs again until D&D 4th edition came out and some co-workers invited me to their game. I found I actually liked the miniatures oriented, tactical aspect of the combat. And it was actually fun to get together with a group that was not obnoxious teenage boys and play. That group ended after a few years when the DM moved out of town.

I live in Indianapolis, and found DCC RPG by going to Gen Con. The first time I went, in 2007, I was basically just trying to find old games from my youth. I found a couple items, but then or not long after (I think "after") I saw some of the Dungeon Crawl Classics modules with Erol Otus cover art. Those weren't old objects from my youth, but felt like exactly what I was looking for. I loved them. I kept an eye on DCC and when DCC RPG came out snagged a copy. Great stuff! I have yet to play, but someday, someday!
brujoloco
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: FRPGames

Post by brujoloco »

Hi guys, I just came into DCC recently and have thoroughly enjoyed it.

Im a Venezuelan ex-patriate currently living in Panama and have been a GM for about 20 years.

Glad to have found DCC and Goodman Games, I felt a bit lost after the 4th edition fiasco D&D turned to be for me and my group and with having to flee abroad due to my country's political instability I'm settled now in Panama, looking for people to play and enjoy some good ol roleplaying.

It is kinda of a pain to find RPG stuff down here as everything has to be practically imported,but my library keeps growing steadily. I found DCC brought back the good old memories and enjoy the quality of their books and material. :D

Cheers!

o7
robotcaveman
Gongfarmer
FLGS: Da Sorce

Post by robotcaveman »

Hi, My name is Dylan and I've been rolling dice in one capacity or another since I was 10, so that puts me at 25 years worth of curated wizard yelling.

The first non-kid game I ever played was Talisman, and I loved every second of it, then once I realized there was an entire world of games where your imagination was the engine I dove right in and never looked back. My first RPG that I owned was a hand me down set of AD&Dv2 core books, player's guide, dungeon master's guide, etc.

I'm newish to DCC, but I've binged on just about all the printed content I can afford since I found out about it. I really can't get enough of this game and I really want to write my own adventures with the end goal being a published funnel in the Goodman store.

Thanks so much for making this game something special!
tovokas
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by tovokas »

Welcome to all the newcomers! I think this community is full of incredibly gracious folks, and I hope you feel comfortable getting involved. I second the notion of checking out Google+, where much DCC zaniness goes on, as well as the Goodman Games and DCC Rocks Pages on Facebook, which seem to be picking up in intensity of activity of late.
Jon Marr
Purple Sorcerer Games
purplesorcerer.com
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

robotcaveman wrote:...I've binged on just about all the printed content I can afford...
Time to move onto the free courses, such as Gong Farmers Almanac, and other goodies squirreled away on the web...! :wink:
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Dumnbunny
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Kapow Comics, Cards and Games

Post by Dumnbunny »

GnomeBoy wrote:
robotcaveman wrote:...I've binged on just about all the printed content I can afford...
Time to move onto the free courses, such as Gong Farmers Almanac, and other goodies squirreled away on the web...! :wink:
Speaking of free material, the Sanctum Secorum podcast makes a ton of material, related to each of their podcasts, available for free. Then there's Pay What You Want material (the three issues of Metal Gods of Ur-Hadad springs to mind) and material that's almost free (The Wizardarium of Calabraxis for $1.50 springs to mind).
implord66
Gongfarmer
FLGS: Destiny Games

Post by implord66 »

Hi! My name is Ian and I have been gaming for about 17 years. I grew up reading through my dad's copy of the D&D basic rules and having my imagination stiumlated by the excellent black and white drawings. It wasn't until 2003 that I would actually begin playing.My group ran 3.5 games regularly, usually multiple times a week. We eventually burned ourselves out and disbanded in 2008. My wife and I joined a group that has been playing since the early 80's. Their chosen game was and still is Pathfinder. everyone really enjoys it, but the game with its convoluted rules and obnoxious amount of options has always left me wanting for something simpler.
I've had DCC RPG on my radar since its official release and have been collecting stuff for it here and there. This year for Free RPG day, I finally got my confidence up to host and Judge my first game at my FLGS and hopefully introduce my group to the wacky Gonzo world of the DCC line!
Ducaster
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
FLGS: Athena Games Norwich.

Post by Ducaster »

[Cough and splutter as of the reflected sound of underground goblins]

Well hello there. Surfacing from my pit I return at least for a while.
About to start a New DCC campaign in Norwich England @ Athena Games, thought I had best dust off my old (Pre Beta) forum account.

I trust I find you all well and not too corrupted as yet?

Anhow in the next couple of weeks I hope to be raising the CHaos standard of DCC once more after a few years break. Wish me luck :)

[Sinks back into the stygian depths]
{Standard Disclaimer} If it was mentioned already and I missed it, please put this down to my advanced age and senility rather than discourtesy!
My DCC games work site is here http://www.dcc.aweninspired.com/?page_id=1869 Use my forum name here as the Password
Mutatis Mundi Game Cha sheet here http://www.dcc.aweninspired.com/wp-cont ... 3.4.18.pdf
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Ducaster wrote:[Sinks back into the stygian depths]
~hollers down a jagged-edged, pitch-black pit~

Good luck!

themajesty
Gongfarmer
FLGS: 401 Games

Post by themajesty »

Hello! James here in Toronto, Canada. Just ran my first level 0 funnel last night with three RPG newbies and one experienced player and it was a blast! Very much looking forward to further adventures with DCC.

Highlights of the session include: one of the characters being rolled as a jester, subsequently being named Jo Ker, and then when he made it to the end, picking the Wizard class and becoming Jo Evo Ker; as well as another player having his merchant character mug his two other characters before being mugged by the other players in the second-last room of the dungeon; and the only experienced player deciding to scoop up some of the Ooze that was attacking them only to try and drink it later "just to see what would happen".
themajesty
Gongfarmer
FLGS: 401 Games

Post by themajesty »

Double post, but I forgot to mention that the dungeon I used was generated using Tony Dowler's very fun How to Host a Dungeon!
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

themajesty wrote:Hello! James here in Toronto, Canada.
More DCC in Toronto is always a good thing!
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Nihilistic Mind
Gongfarmer
FLGS: Imperial Outpost Games

Post by Nihilistic Mind »

Hello, I'm new to DCC and now that I've been exposed ("Please! There are ladies present!") I have to say that I just can't get enough!

I picked up the DCC RPG during Free RPG Day (supporting my local FLGS etc) and decided to give it a try, ran a Level-0 Funnel for my GF and kiddos and we had a blast with it. A buddy and I got to play a couple sessions over the weekend at a local convention and I had a great deal of fun playing.
So now I'm looking to run this game more regularly and in that endeavor came across this fine forum.

Cheers!

Return to “DCC RPG General”