Introductions Thread - Join the Band!

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

ChicagoBurd
Gongfarmer

Re: Introductions Thread - Join the Band!

Post by ChicagoBurd »

Posting to say hi.

Was first introduced to DCC back in 2013 and played briefly in a friend's campaign. Jumping back in by running Sailors for a few folks in December. Pretty excited.
Shingen
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Shingen »

Hi all - long time lurker, first time poster. Been buying stuff and backing DCC Kickstarters for a while, but the game is more and more hitting my sweet spot as I move backwards into traditional Appendix N reading and I'm getting to actually play a lot more, so I thought I would talk about it now.
SILAS, L, Ostler, S14, A13, S12, P11, I14, L5, AC11, HP3, Staff +1 1d4+1, Init 1, R +1, F0, W0, 10' Chain, Bridle, Path of the bear (Melee damage rolls), Com +1

PERCIVAL, N, Halfling dyer, S12, A10, S9, P13, I6, L12, AC10, HP2, Staff +0 1d4, Init 0, R0, F0, W+1, Small sack, 3 yards fabric, Righteous heart (Turn unholy checks), Com

DERVOS, N, Corn Farmer, S13, A8, S8, P12, I13, L13, AC9, HP 1, Pitchfork +1 1d8+2, Init -1, R-1, F-1, W0, Waterskin, hen, Path of the bear (Melee damage rolls) (+1) Com +1

EIBUR, C, Potato Farmer, S8, A7, S12, P11, I13, L7, AC 9, HP 2, Pitchfork -1 1d8-1, Init -1, R-1, F0, W0, Torch, Goat, Struck by lightning (Reflex saving throws) Com +1
Scottius
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Tabletop

Post by Scottius »

Hey everyone!

I'm a long time roleplayer who dabbled a bit with Dungeon Crawl Classics via the 3rd Ed/3.5 modules in my D&D group. Recently I got a copy of the DCC RPG core book and several of the modules and have fallen deeply in love with what I'm reading.

When it comes to RPGs I've played all sorts of systems in all sorts of genre's and am currently playing in a 5th Edition D&D game once a week and running a Palladium Fantasy (1st Edition) game once a week. I'm already trying to think about how to talk one or both of my groups into giving DCC a chance in the future. I'm also very much looking forward to the Lankhmar set & the upcoming Mutant Crawl Classics as well.
BobtheBarbarian
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Geek City

Post by BobtheBarbarian »

Uh Hi, my name is Bob and I am in the Iowa City area. Just backed the lastest printing on kickstarter and am chomping at the bit to get playing. I am having problems with the forum as I have tried to start a new topic and it has not posted. Also look for a DCC themed boardgame besides Dungeonquest to hold me over till April. Anyway hello all
BobtheBarbarian
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Also I am sorry I have like five of these post all up at once now because it wasn't working right away. I must seem like a crazy man....I'm not really...really
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

BobtheBarbarian wrote:Uh Hi, my name is Bob and I am in the Iowa City area. Just backed the lastest printing on kickstarter and am chomping at the bit to get playing. I am having problems with the forum as I have tried to start a new topic and it has not posted. Also look for a DCC themed boardgame besides Dungeonquest to hold me over till April. Anyway hello all
Welcome!

I think when you're new, they moderate your posts, just to weed out spambots. After the first few, you're golden.

Also, if you're chomping at the bit for a game, keep your eye on the play-by-post section, as new games start from time to time...
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
BobtheBarbarian
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Sweet thanks
will
Gongfarmer
FLGS: Fantasy Books in Belleville, IL

Post by will »

Hello all, Will from Belleville, IL here.

I started gaming when I discovered my brother's orange-spine era AD&D books in the back of a closet. By the time I started building my own collection, 2nd Edition was in full swing, so that's what I played through high school. In college, I played a little bit of White Wolf, a little bit of GURPS, a little more AD&D 2e, pretty much anything somebody else wanted to run. D&D 3e+ pretty much passed me by entirely.

Fast forward a decade and change, and I haven't played with a group in years, just picked up the occasional game product to read and lurked on gaming websites (R.I.P. Grognardia). The wife and I were talking recently about starting a game with some friends, so I started looking for something new to play. I was leaning towards Dungeon World as something rules-light and roleplay-heavy, but feeling lazy about how much work I'd have to do so set the style and tone I wanted. Then I saw the kickstarter for the DCC RPG, and this is exactly the game I was looking for. Not what I'd call rules-light, but definitely less arcane than AD&D 2e, and for all the tables and charts, DCC seems reward actual roleplaying. I have to content myself with the PDFs for now, but I'm super excited to get the book and the rest of the kickstarter package. I'm thinking about ordering some modules before it gets here, just to get my hands on some physical products.

Now if our potential gaming group is half as excited by this game as I am, maybe we can get a campaign going.
Weisenwolf
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Weisenwolf »

Hello everyone nice to see you all on the forum
The Spaniard
Gongfarmer
FLGS: Parker, Kent, Banner, Wayne

Post by The Spaniard »

Just a quick hello. I started with 1E back in '80 and played on and off for about 10 years. Got disgusted with the move to 2E and took a few decades off. Got back into playing about 2 years ago, running C&C with my kids and am having a great time with it. I've heard good things about DCC as well and thought I'd check it out. Any suggestions on where to start?
StarShifter
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Madness Games & Comics

Post by StarShifter »

What up dogs! I'm Kevin (But sometimes people call me "Hey, what the hell are you doing? Stop it!".) I've been hooked on RPG's since the Red Box. I like AD&D/2e, Pathfinder, WoD, Shadowrun, and lately I'm really digging DCC. I live in Cowtown USA, where there isn't much interest in playing locally, so I'm looking forward to getting into something play-by-post here.

PM me if anyone's interested in startin a new 0 lvl funnel.
Mike: “Okay. And there’s nothing in between. It’s either grain alcohol in back alleys, or a happy world of rodents in feetie pajamas?”

Servo: “Yes.”
DM Cojo
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by DM Cojo »

The Spaniard wrote:Just a quick hello. I started with 1E back in '80 and played on and off for about 10 years. Got disgusted with the move to 2E and took a few decades off. Got back into playing about 2 years ago, running C&C with my kids and am having a great time with it. I've heard good things about DCC as well and thought I'd check it out. Any suggestions on where to start?
Besides the core book (of course)...I recommend starting with Sailors on the Starless Sea. I have then moved my campaign through Frozen in Time, People of the Pit and The One Who Watches From Below. Some of the third party stuff is amazing...like the Sunken City Omnibus from Purple Sorcerer.
The Spaniard
Gongfarmer
FLGS: Parker, Kent, Banner, Wayne

Post by The Spaniard »

DM Cojo wrote:
The Spaniard wrote:Just a quick hello. I started with 1E back in '80 and played on and off for about 10 years. Got disgusted with the move to 2E and took a few decades off. Got back into playing about 2 years ago, running C&C with my kids and am having a great time with it. I've heard good things about DCC as well and thought I'd check it out. Any suggestions on where to start?
Besides the core book (of course)...I recommend starting with Sailors on the Starless Sea. I have then moved my campaign through Frozen in Time, People of the Pit and The One Who Watches From Below. Some of the third party stuff is amazing...like the Sunken City Omnibus from Purple Sorcerer.
Great, thanks!
Atlas
Gongfarmer
FLGS: Ace Comics and Games

Post by Atlas »

Hey all!

I was introduced to gaming when I was 10 back in 1998, mainly playing D&D, Pathfinder and Star Wars d6. I discovered DCC a week or so ago and it has completely consumed my existence. DCC reminds me of why I got into gaming in the first place. I'm in Australia and I'm very keen to play some DCC over Google hangouts.
Fizzlenubbs
Gongfarmer
FLGS: Ettin Games

Post by Fizzlenubbs »

Hi guys,

I'm a new DCC RPG fanatic in Houston, TX. I have had my eye on DCCRPG ever since I won a Judge's Screen at FreeRPG Day last year, and my son picked up a set of Hugh's Weird Dice at that same event. My FLGS has a decent selection of stuff and I would thumb through the modules looking at the art work, but it wasn't until OwlCon this year that I really got the bug. I had a lot of time to kill in between GMing some Pathfinder and playing some Labyrinth Lord, so I picked up the Slipcover Edition of the DCC RPG book and by the time I was out of Chapter 1 I was hooked! Unfortunately @John Polack's DCCRPG games at OwlCon were chock full so I wasn't able to get in a game.

I've been studying the rule book and many published modules from Goodman Games and 3PP such as Purple Duck Games and Purple Sorceror. I am signed up to judge 2 Level 0 funnels and a Level 1 adventure this coming weekend (April 2-3) at MagCon 8!!! I'm very excited.

I got my start roleplaying in 1982 with a red box D&D set, moved into 1st Edition AD&D and played through the mid 90s. I took a long break but got back into RPGs when my kids expressed interest a few years ago. The last few years I've been playing a lot of Pathfinder and 5th ed D&D, because that's what my kids wanted to play, but I've had that old-school fever for a long time. I am now part of the Road Crew for the 2016 World Tour and will be organizing demo games at FLGSes around H-town, and will be judging at any convention that will let me.

Good meeting all of you, I see a friendly and wise community and am excited to be a part of it!
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Welcome!
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

jamused
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Showcase Comics

Post by jamused »

Hi! I'm new to the forum, and I thought I'd introduce myself.

My name is Joshua, and I've been playing RPGs since the white-box edition of D&D, and I moved from there to...well,we tried just about everything, at least up until a certain point in time: Empire of the Petal Throne, Villains and Vigilantes, World of Wonders, Boot Hill, Metamorphosis: Alpha and Gamma World, Arduin Grimoire, Chivalry & Sorcery, The Fantasy Trip, Traveler, AD&D 1st, Champions, Runequest, and so forth. Eventually I drifted away from published systems, and mostly have been playing home-brews ever since. I've played in a couple of 3rd edition games, and even GMed one online for about a year, but it wasn't really my cup of tea.

I was introduced to DCC through the 4th printing Kickstarter. I'd heard a bit about in on G+, which is where I usually hang out and game, but never tried it and some of the stuff like 0-level funnels just sounded gimmicky, but the buzz was completely positive, so when the Kickstarter had a level for people who were new to the system I gave it a whirl. When it funded and they gave a PDF copy of the 3rd printing to backers I read it and was pretty impressed with how it streamlined a bunch of things while paying a lot of attention to making each class have its own fun gimmicks. Some of the stuff that I thought sounded clunky (like separate charts for each spell) turned out to be relatively easy in play, particularly with the aid of the Purple Sorceror's Crawlers Companion. I tried out the Sailors on the Starless Sea funnel on my group as a one-shot change of pace, but they liked it so much they voted to switch from our 5e campaign to DCC, and now are exploring the island of Kalmatta from the Treasure Vaults of Zadabad (by way of the Well of Souls, which is where I had the underground river at the end of Sailors take them.

I'm also involved in a Monday night DCC G+ Hangout group as a player, of possibly the worst character I've ever had: a stupid, clumsy, sickly ex-gravedigger turned Warrior with 2 HP at 1st level. Miraculously he's survived four sessions so far, on the strength of not actually having taken a hit in combat...

I'm signed up to play two DCC session at Legacies Game Day that's happening tomorrow (Saturday April 22nd) in my home town. So, yeah, I've become a pretty big fan of DCC, and even posted some DCC-compatible/inspired stuff for science fantasy on my Elves & Espers blog .
Jester4108
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: gamequest

Post by Jester4108 »

Hello all. Been into roleplaying games since the early 2000's. My first adventure was a slightly modified version of "The Keep on the Borderlands". Ever since then i've discovered quite a few RPGs that i enjoy such as D&D 5e and Savage Worlds. I was introduced to DCC a little while after it was released and had a blast watching my characters die horrible deaths and using the REALLY weird dice. I recently got back into DCC after looking at my copy of "Tomb of Horrors" and fondly remembering the horrible ways i've died in it. I started looking for a hard copy, and when i couldn't find one i immediately pre-ordered the silver foil cover and downloaded the PDF version.

I WILL get my friends into this game if i have to drag them kicking and screaming.
DCC RPG: So nice, i buyed it thrice!

Eagerly awaiting the release of MCC!

Dice are to Gamers as Gold is to Dragons.
werecat
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Brooklyn Strategist, Compleat Strategist, Twenty Sided Store

Post by werecat »

Howdy!

I started playing RPGs in 1990 when I was 10. AD&D had just gone into 2nd edition. I was instantly hooked. At age 12 I switched to playing White Wolf games (Werewolf, Vampire, Mage, Wraith, and Changeling), Shadowrun, and ElfQuest. At age 14 I stopped roleplaying games entirely.

When I turned 20, D&D 3rd Edition came out and I thought it would be funny to start playing again, ironically. I played a few times and realized it wasn't funny and I wasn't being ironic. I just really loved the game.

Since then I've played all editions of D&D (my favorite is B/X), started collecting old Judges Guild products, and had brief love affairs with 13th Age, Burning Wheel, Call of Cthulhu, Dungeon World, Fate, Fiasco, GURPS, Hillfolk, Microscope, Numenera, Pathfinder, Runequest, Traveller, Tunnels & Trolls, and OD&D many retro-clones.

In 2012 I discovered DCC RPG, bought the book in its 2nd printing, and fell in love. I ran a 0-level funnel of Sailors on the Starless Sea for a Meetup in 2013 and haven't played since, focusing on my regular D&D group. Although I preferred the DCC RPG system, I was having a great time with my group and stayed focused on that. Now it is 2016 and my D&D group has disbanded and I am looking to dive into DCC RPG this time!

I live in Brooklyn, New York and if anyone local wants to game, let me know!
"Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal."
-Jervas Dudley, "The Tomb" by H.P. Lovecraft

"Sixty-sixty?" Fafhrd suggested.
The Mouser hesitated, sheathed his dirk, and rapped put, "A deal!"

-"Ill Met in Lankhmar" by Fritz Leiber

In NYC? Check out the DCC NYC Meetup group: https://www.meetup.com/DCC-MCC-RPG-NYC.
Livinglead
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Collectors Corner

Post by Livinglead »

Hey all.
Very interested in playing some DCC.
I've played mostly 3rd Ed or Pathfinder. Found DCC through Jeffrey Tadlock and his gaming cohorts at the Iron Tavern. He made the game story very compelling. Hopefully, the group will pick that back up and play on.

I've been listening to Spellburn as of late, and have heard this name, DM Cojo brought up. While checking out these forums for the first time, I see a DM Cojo on here. Could he be the same....?
Livinglead
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Collectors Corner

Post by Livinglead »

Hey All,
I've been a RPG gamer since the middle of the 1990s. I went through several groups during that period with one full time group that was really dedicated, playing weekly.
When that dissolved, I began amassing quite a pile of 3rd Ed books and soon to follow Pathfinder.Dishearteed by D&D changing rules every 2-3 years, I vowed not to purchase another rule set from them til absolutely necessary.
All of this collecting was an attempt to replace the void, when group therapy had dissolved. I became interested in podcasts and started listening to "Gaming and BS", who mentioned DCC. Somewhere along the way, I absorbed all of the "Strand Gamers" Kingmaker series, which was almost as good as real play.
Then I found the "Iron Tavern" podcast, which threw a quirky set of players and a rule set I had not heard of.

Since then I have ordered the core rules and a couple modules, waiting now for an opportunity to learn.
A Hazzard of Midland, Mi
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Welcome welcome, Livinglead Livinglead! :wink:

ThatBunyip
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Muse

Post by ThatBunyip »

Hey, everybody! I'm a gamer living and working in Missoula, MT.

I started roleplaying with the Holmes Basic set, bought at a garage sale for $1 circa 1982.
From there, I graduated to AD&D 1E, but got out when 2E became a thing. Never got into 3E much at all.
I also enjoyed a whole lot of Call of Cthulhu, early Shadowrun, even took a stab at the Renegade Legion RPG.

I signed up for the DCC 4th edition Kickstarter and fell in love with the system. I'm looking to run it for the first time this summer. My players are stoked to give it a shot and ready to throw themselves into the meat grinder.

Looking forward to hanging out here!
Outsider
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Outsider »

I'm getting ready to take the plunge and pick up the DCC rulebook and some adventures. Started with the Moldvay Basic and Expert sets as a kid and moved onto AD&D around the time the first Forgotten Realms box set game out.

Took a big break from role playing towards the end of high school and during my college years, but got back into with 3rd Edition. Had a long running campaign with some good friends, but it eventually came to an end when I had to move for work.

Most recently, I've been running my kids through a dungeon using Labyrinth Lord.

Some of my favorite authors are Robert E. Howard, Fritz Leiber and Clark Ashton Smith, so DCC should be right up my alley.
Russtown
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Wyvern's Tale

Post by Russtown »

Hello All,

My name is Russ. I live in Bryson City, North Carolina, and I work as an archaeologist for the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians. I have been gaming since the tender age of 9, way back in 1975. I worked in a game shop (called the Game Shop) in Tulsa, Oklahoma, most of my teenage years. I owned and operated the store from 1990 to 1996, before moving on to do archaeology full time. I've played to many RPGs, Wargames, and board games to name or even remember. I was getting jaded and bored with RPGs in the early 2000s...and then came the OSR revolution! I started playing Labyrinth Lord, Mutant Future, and Swords and Wizardry. I felt like a kid again! It wasn't that I didn't still have all the old originals (I'm an avid collector), but rather I was inspired and invigorated by the authors' love of the Old School Ways. When Dungeon Crawl Classics came out, I was an instant convert. Goodman Games takes everything I love about the OSR and does it to maximum intensity! The feel of the game, the art, printing quality, and commitment to Appendix N has made DCC my go-to game for sheer gonzo fun! I've been a dedicated DCC gamer for several years now, but I'm ready to join the crew, and take the show to the people!!
Russell

Return to “DCC RPG General”