Introductions Thread - Join the Band!

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

TimDiskataneous
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Epic Loot

Re: Introductions Thread - Join the Band!

Post by TimDiskataneous »

Hello my name is Tim.

I picked up the hard back copy of DCC RPG at Gen Con 50 in 2017. I wanted to get a DnD 1st Edition game going and I stopped by the Goodman Games booth to purchase a 1st edition adventure if they had any. One of the guys explained to me about the different products they offered. I didn't know they published an rpg.

I'm almost done reading the core rules and I'm very happy with it. I like that it is based on Gary Gygax's appendix N. I also believe the simple approach leaves room for role-playing and great story.

I'm running my first DCC RPG on Labor Day 2017. Wish me luck!

I also purchased the "GenCon 2017 Program Guide" which includes the adventure "Sisters of the Moon Furnace". It looks very cool!

Tim
Troy, Ohio
Noahms456
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Brainstorm Comics

Post by Noahms456 »

Greetings, Programs!

My name is Noah Stevens. You may recognize me from such reality shows as THIS IS REALLY REALITY, and the Google Plus forums, where I am fairly active, thoroughly admired, and much beloved.

Also, I wrote a thing for DCC once, and I am still writing more things for it, and you can find my blog at:

http://noahms456.blogspot.com

I think that's right. It's the Hapless Henchman blog, and there's nothing like blog readers to make a guy or gal or sentient batch of 7th dimensional protoplasm write a blog post. I eased back on DCC a bit (heresy noted) but now that MCC is out, I am going to re-open my Space Dungeon campaign on Google Plus... I used to do roll20 but it's been some time.

Anyway, if you grok the G+, i love to make friends and give ideas away for nothing

Much love,

Noah
xKRIMxGLUEx
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by xKRIMxGLUEx »

Hi everyone,

I'm Karim and have already posted here when getting into DCC through the Free RPG Day quickstart rules and yet haven't had the chance to make the introduction thread.

Since then I had the privilege of running Portal Under the Stars thanks to all the many comments and help I received from the amazing community and will look forward to delving much deeper into the game and its resources.

Cheers !

Karim.
CarlsJrFan

Post by CarlsJrFan »

Hi all :D

New to the forum. Excited to get chatting with everyone.
Scatonaut
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Fantasiapelit

Post by Scatonaut »

Hello, I hight Markus/Zuppie/something....so you don't have to. I hail from the vastness of forest and icy encounter table locales called Finland by those less savvy.

I began running d20 stuff in 1987 with the red box D&D Basic Set, but didn't really enjoy it back then...too much of a mishmash of mythologies/RPG spirit :)
So I quickly opted for RuneQuest, Call of Cthulhu, Rolemaster, MERP, Ghostbusters, Nightlife, Harn, Spacemaster, Paranoia, GURPS, Dark Conspiracy, Warhammer, WoD, Ars Magica and I remember not what other systems...but lo and behold, in the year 2017 CE I decided to homebrew/hybridise a "high fantasy" RPG for my gaming group and decided to check out what was going on in the world of D&D.

I got the 5E books and planned on incorporating fumbles, crits, mutations etc. from RQ and Warhammer, but instead and in a timely fashion ran into the DCC RPG - which in effect had already done my planned homebrewing plus a plethora of other work for me! So, here I am...reading, authoring and incorporating DCC & other d20 stuff for a vaunted "perfect" game system for my own needs, but with the intention of publishing them to the benefit of others, as well. 8)
Ducaster
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
FLGS: Athena Games Norwich.

Post by Ducaster »

Greetings to all the ill fated Peasants shown here.... LOL (You gotta love the unique DCC forum titles!)

Now my game is on Hiatus hope to visit here more frequently!
{Standard Disclaimer} If it was mentioned already and I missed it, please put this down to my advanced age and senility rather than discourtesy!
My DCC games work site is here http://www.dcc.aweninspired.com/?page_id=1869 Use my forum name here as the Password
Mutatis Mundi Game Cha sheet here http://www.dcc.aweninspired.com/wp-cont ... 3.4.18.pdf
Croaker
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Fortress Games

Post by Croaker »

Greetings! My name is Patricio, and I've been involved with roleplaying games since a wargaming buddy introduced me to Dungeons & Dragons in 1980. That first session was an incredible experience, a bit like watching Star Wars in 1977 - there was just nothing like it. Since then, I've sampled the other games in the hobby, including Call of Cthulhu, MERP, and Traveller, but have never abandoned D&D. It was last year that I finally decided to give Dungeon Crawl Classics a try, and what can I say - I'm hooked, and eagerly awaiting the future releases.

My username Croaker, by the way, was taken from the Black Company series by Glenn Cook.
Sundog
Gongfarmer
FLGS: Galaxy Games and Comics

Post by Sundog »

I just want to say how great I think Goodman Games is. When I first learned D&D as was taught to me from the RedBox and AD&D I had a collection of Sci-Fi and Fantasy books to fill 2 entire book-cases. From Azimov to Zelazny and then some. Book of the Month Club, anyone? Volumes of Anthologies, novellas and short stories. My entire being resonates with Appendix N based RPG. Thank You!!! P.S. Why The Fook does WotC *NOT* produce "modules"? Thank the Gods Goodman does! With a little help from our friends ... =)
SweeperAZ
Gongfarmer
FLGS: Game On

Post by SweeperAZ »

Heya. My name's Josh and I've been a gamer in one form or another since the early 80s and I'm still loving it. I've heard about DCC over the years from various sources, but really didn't look into it until I heard it described on the Hobbs & Friends of the OSR podcast. So, I got the pdf of the core book and read a bit; glad I did.
Hoping to participate in an OL game one of these days to really get a feel for the game as I'd like to set up a hex-crawl campaign using DCC eventually.

See ya at the tavern.
KGhidora
Gongfarmer
FLGS: Enchanted Grounds, Highlands Ranch CO

Post by KGhidora »

Hi everyone. My name is Allen. I'm fairly new to DCC, but have been gaming since my first foray to the Keep on the Borderlands in 1980.

I backed the Lanhkmar set on Kickstarter because I love the stories of Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser. I've run a one-shot of DCC for my gaming friends with last year's halloween module, and everyone had a blast. After picking up a few more adventures, I ran the 0 level funnel Sour Springs Hollow for them recently.

I'm a big time Godzilla fan, if you couldn't guess from my user name. :D
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Welcome, Allen!

...And if you need some giant, Godzilla-like monsters for your DCC games: http://www.rpgnow.com/product/202831/Mo ... -INNER-HAM
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Tele-Viper
Gongfarmer
FLGS: Compleat Strategist

Post by Tele-Viper »

Hi Everyone,

My name is Christopher and I only just for back into the hobby after a 20 year hiatus. DCC's art caught my eye and I picked up the Quick-Start rules. It was love-at-first-read. Will be running my first game soon.

Cheers!
Ducaster
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
FLGS: Athena Games Norwich.

Post by Ducaster »

Tele-Viper wrote:Hi Everyone,

My name is Christopher and I only just for back into the hobby after a 20 year hiatus. DCC's art caught my eye and I picked up the Quick-Start rules. It was love-at-first-read. Will be running my first game soon.

Cheers!
Welcome Wagon!

Like you I have had some long pauses between campaigns so I know how you feel old chap!

Happy Dungeon thrashing!
{Standard Disclaimer} If it was mentioned already and I missed it, please put this down to my advanced age and senility rather than discourtesy!
My DCC games work site is here http://www.dcc.aweninspired.com/?page_id=1869 Use my forum name here as the Password
Mutatis Mundi Game Cha sheet here http://www.dcc.aweninspired.com/wp-cont ... 3.4.18.pdf
raytek7777
Gongfarmer
FLGS: Star Clipper

Post by raytek7777 »

Hello! My name is Ray, and I am currently residing in South St. Louis. After a long hiatus from RPG's in general, I'm looking to get back into it. I recently started reading up on the Appendix N stuff I missed 'back in the day' (I am middle aged), and it has gotten me all hot & bothered over gaming again. I still can't believe I missed reading Jack Vance in high school...

I am a big fan of DCC aesthetics, and like both my swords & sorcery (DCC, LotFP, etc.) and dystopian sci-fi (Metamorphosis Alpha, Gamma World editions 1-2, etc.) to be flavored Grimdark (no Hoops!). I love Call of Cthulhu as well, but probably need some DM experience before tackling a session...unless I can find a local group, hello?

I am hoping to get some sort of group together here, even if I have to drag my old friends and their children into it.

Most recent favorite writer: R. Scott Bakker
DataPacRat
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Phoenix Rising

Post by DataPacRat »

'Lo, all;

Been playing with D&D since the days of the orange-spined hardbacks and BECMI, and have since forayed into GURPS and HERO and Palladium and FASA Star Wars and Cyberpunk 2020 and freeform PBeMs and so many more.

What catches my eye with DCC is its emphasis on how little the PCs know about the world they find themselves in. I have a tendency towards completionism for any given setting, such as having grabbed just about everything related to TSR's "Mystara" setting in its various iterations, but that makes it hard to recapture the feeling of uncertainty about what's left to be found, of exploring the unknown. (And don't get me started on modern LitRPG things, where the characters can call up stat-screens and assign their own skill-points.) Throw in orange-spine style artwork, from Erol Otus to those one-panel comics; a pile of adventures and fan-zines and third-party supplements; and I find myself enthralled enough with DCC to start actually worrying about my RPG budget.

I'm thinking about toying with a few silly ideas, like dropping a self-insert character with 18 Luck into Portal Under The Stars solo, and if he survives, turning him into a Wizard with Radu as a patron, and then meeting up with a randomly-generated set of 0-level folk just starting They Served Brandolyn Red, and I just might end up with a portal-fantasy that's both interesting and fairly close to a lot of other Appendix N fiction. (Eg, Radu's "Warren Walking" granted spell could easily allow for hopping to new dungeons-of-the-week.) Or, I have a long-standing fondness for the old module, BSOLO: The Ghost of Lion Castle, and I might try to figure out what it would take to convert it to run on DCC rules. And so on.

So - here I am.
Thank you for your time,
--
DataPacRat
"Does aₘᵢₙ=2c²/Θ ? I don't know, but wouldn't it be fascinating if it were?"
thomdenick
Gongfarmer
FLGS: Next-Gen Games

Post by thomdenick »

Hi, I'm Thom Denick.

I've taken up Judging during the 2017 World Tour and ran the games at Strategicon (LA's game series of game conventions), and at ReaperCon (where I got to run a game with the great miniature sculptor Bobby Jackson as a player!)

I'm continuing running games at conventions this year. I've only run Funnels so far, but want to start branching out into Level 1s and Tournaments. (We often have too many players show up at Strategicon.)

I regularly support DCC Kickstarters (both official and 3PP), and very much enjoy the culture of DCC.
trees-and-dreams
Gongfarmer
FLGS: Game Preserve

Post by trees-and-dreams »

Greetings!

My online presence is known as Trees and Dreams. I communicate in dreams and talk with trees. I am an aspiring artist and hope to one day create art as a full time living. In the meantime, I make my living as a software developer.

I began tabletop RPGs with the Moldvay D&D boxed set. My older brother discovered the Moldvay set in a friend's closet back in 1982. Soon after, our parents got us the Mentzer (1983 revision) and thus began my 36 year journey; although I just came out of a 5 year hiatus from RPGs.

I just picked up the DCC: Core Rules - Softcover Edition. I haven't even run a session yet and I am hooked; and this is after having just leafing through the book.

I also recently picked up Basic Fantasy and Dungeon World. My plan is to run a session for all three and from there, determine which one of these exemplary systems in which my campaign world will begin and thrive. I must admit, I am leaning toward DCC with Basic Fantasy a close second (bias due to the heavy influence of the D&D boxed sets).

Anyhow, I'm excited to return to the world of tabetop RPGs and doubly excited to have discovered DCC and others.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

trees-and-dreams wrote:Greetings!

My online presence is known as Trees and Dreams. I communicate in dreams and talk with trees. I am an aspiring artist and hope to one day create art as a full time living. In the meantime, I make my living as a software developer.

I began tabletop RPGs with the Moldvay D&D boxed set. My older brother discovered the Moldvay set in a friend's closet back in 1982. Soon after, our parents got us the Mentzer (1983 revision) and thus began my 36 year journey; although I just came out of a 5 year hiatus from RPGs.

I just picked up the DCC: Core Rules - Softcover Edition. I haven't even run a session yet and I am hooked; and this is after having just leafing through the book.

I also recently picked up Basic Fantasy and Dungeon World. My plan is to run a session for all three and from there, determine which one of these exemplary systems in which my campaign world will begin and thrive. I must admit, I am leaning toward DCC with Basic Fantasy a close second (bias due to the heavy influence of the D&D boxed sets).

Anyhow, I'm excited to return to the world of tabetop RPGs and doubly excited to have discovered DCC and others.
Welcome!

I will mention that DCC is very adaptable, and that I don't think one session will be enough to really do it justice... I'd think it'd be very easy to play DCC and pull in elements you liked from those other games to expand on DCC thereby, though... :wink:
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
MarkB
Gongfarmer
FLGS: Dungeon Games

Post by MarkB »

Hello! My name is Mark, and I recently had the opportunity to play both DCC RPG and MCC RPG at Free RPG Weekend at Dungeon Games in Estero, Florida, with Bob and Jen Brinkman. I greatly enjoyed the experience and look forward to playing again. I have the DCC RPG book now, and may acquire the MCC book as well, since I have some interest in maybe running some games as well as playing.
squirefang
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by squirefang »

Hi I'm Cliff,
I first experienced Dungeons and Dragons from the old computer game Pool of Radiance with my son Alex. Over the years since Alex has really grown very fond of the RPG games and has gotten me into enough of his games that I've developed my own fondness for them as well. I recently DM'ed my first game, the funnel game included in the core book of MCC. I have earned my living as a artist since 1975 and have had the pleasure of being able to do a fair amount of illustrating for Goodman Games( thanks Joseph) Most recently some of the MCC books that have come out recently.
jackfs4
Gongfarmer
FLGS: The Bookery

Post by jackfs4 »

Greetings & Salutations,

My name is Jack Skoda and I have been playing RPGs since the early 1980's. I started with B/X D&D, Traveller, and Gamma World. I won't say I've played "them all"; I have played a huge number of RPGS since the 80's and collected quite a few (over 20 systems/editions.) I just learned about DCC at GenCon 2018. I am kicking myself for not buying MCC at the show.

For more mundane matter, I live in central Vermont in the U.S. and teach computer science topics at Vermont Technical College. I am also the faculty advisor for the campus adventurers guild. Last semester I ran a weekly SFSRPG game. I am planning to offer a fortnightly DCC session on Saturday afternoon.
TPKCounter
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Imperium Games

Post by TPKCounter »

Hello Fellow TSR recovering gamer's. I stumbled upon the beautiful core book at GenCon. Found a little podcast called "spellburn", and now am running my first funnel tomorrow!

Cheers and thank you so much DCC crew for giving us all something we didn't even know we needed.
presentwerewolf
Gongfarmer
FLGS: Golem's Gate

Post by presentwerewolf »

Hi Everybody,

My name is Eddie and I'm doing my best to get people to play non DnD games in public places. I'm not doing it for the sweet gear, no sir...

Seriously though I'm getting tired of people who only want to play DnD. Story of my life.
Knarfenstein
Gongfarmer
FLGS: Strange Adventures

Post by Knarfenstein »

Hey Everyone!

I'm new to both DCC RPG and MCC RPG. Only stumbled on them this week totally randomly when browsing YouTube. After a few videos (OK like several hours of videos and article hunting). I jumped in and picked up both the DCC RPG rulebook and MCC RPG bundle with the adventure block that Goodman Games had on their site. The very next day Annual Vol 1 goes up on Kickstarter so I mean I gotta get that right!?

This totally reminds me of when I played a ton of AD&D 1.5-2e back in the early 1990's I'd totally get a new module or sourcebook on what seems like weekly basis which was a great feeling of like discovery. Reading through those amazing books into the wee hours of the morning, during class and anytime I wasn't adventuring with friends.

I briefly tried to get back into gaming around 2009-2010 with AD&D 4e but it really wasn't for me. So stumbling on this great looking book totally accidentally which takes me back to my youth is quite welcome indeed. I only hope I can find people to play this with once I paw through these tomes.
Steel Havok
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Outflank Games

Post by Steel Havok »

Colorado Springs, Colorado. It's 1983, I'm in 5th grade and hanging out at my friend Tim's house playing Jungle Hunt on Atari. Tim's older brother Eric comes in and makes us turn the TV down so he and his weird long haired buddy can play the same game that I saw Kip from Bosom Buddies play on TV. They dim the globe light with the rattan shade that hung over the octagonal table with formica woodgrain and fake brass legs, a cassette is slid into a silver Panasonic tape deck and the opening riff from Run to the Hills screams out. Eric pulls some of his dad's beers from the fridge and they crack them open like they're full on grown ups. The two scariest looking books I've ever seen are on the table and they keep flipping through them while they roll some crazy dice and write down numbers and words like "leather armor" and "short sword". I had to figure out how to get in on this.

Hi, I'm Terry and I've been a member of Steel Havok https://www.instagram.com/steelhavok for ten years. I cut my teeth on Mentzer's red box. I've played every edition and found something to like with all of them. The older I get, the more I want that "old school" feel when I game. I came across DCC RPG and it seems to be everything I'm looking for in a game.

I've listened to the first 8 episodes of Spellburn and I think I'll run some of Steel Havok through a funnel soon and see how they like it. With any luck, I'll get someone hooked, charm them into running DCC RPG, and bluff my way into a player seat.

Return to “DCC RPG General”