Introductions Thread - Join the Band!

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Starhawk
Ill-Fated Peasant

Re: Introductions Thread - Join the Band!

Post by Starhawk »

Oh, man. Wish I'd discovered DCC years ago -- happened to stumble on a review and decided to order a copy sight-otherwise-unseen.

It's everything I miss about fantasy gaming... blood, thunder, gore, hilarity, randomness.

I just ran the funnel in the back of the book for some buddies, with a respectable 50% fatality rate (which would have been worse had they not figured out the trick of the last room pretty quickly). A great time was had by all.

The sad part is that I didn't get into any of the DCC events at GenCon 2013 despite being there to push the Go button right as it went live. I am a sad panda.

On the other hand... are you guys looking for more GMs? I seem to have these gaps in my schedule and would totally run more DCC for swag and/or adventures. :) (Just for the record, we've met -- I helped build your booth at Gen Con a couple/three years back, and helped run an XCrawl tourney one year.)
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Starhawk wrote:...are you guys looking for more GMs? ... would totally run more DCC for swag and/or adventures. :)
Welcome to the forum!

And, this: http://www.goodman-games.com/worldtour.html
(scroll down to the 'Road Crew' part...)
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Clangador
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Clangador »

I am thinking of running a game or two at my Local game store. Unfortunately the don't carry DDC stuff at the store. And, as far as I know, don't have an official game schedule beyond posting your games on their bulletin board.
~Clangador

I'm not a wizard but I play one in DCC...

Join the DCC RPG Rocks Facebook group.
Nick K.
Gongfarmer

Post by Nick K. »

Hi,

I'm Nick. I infrequently post/comment on the DCC Google+ group. I've been playing tabletop RPGs since I was eleven. I like the D.I.Y. aspects of them and the communal experience they create. I also have an addition to random tables. I have been running the same DCC campaign for over a year where the highest level members of the party have reached 3rd level.
Hungerstriker
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Hungerstriker »

Hi everyone!

I've been lurking on the forums for entirely too long, and finally decided to go ahead and make an account. I'm actually a college student, and I moved out to the middle of nowhere so I could get this summer job. When I do have free time, I'm reeeally bored. My usual gaming groups are all hundreds of miles away... :(

I've been playing RPGs for... eleven years, I think? I spent the first half of that time exclusively playing the old d20 Star Wars game from Wizards (it's really not a good game at all, but it seemed like the greatest thing ever when I was twelve). Since those days I branched out into D&D 3.5 and then a bunch of other stuff, but never 1st or 2nd edition. DCC is my first real taste of old school gaming, and I love it! :D

I'm also guilty of being a habitual homebrewer. I work on an assembly line, and some days things get crazy-slow. I have a notebook that I bring to work for days like these-- I try to write short stories, but usually I just wind up cramming pages full of random tables, new magic items, and other resources for DCC! Part of the impetus for me creating an account is the urge to share the stuff I scribble down, so there's a chance it'll actually be useful to someone.
Skyscraper
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Skyscraper »

Hungerstriker wrote:Hi everyone!

I've been lurking on the forums for entirely too long, and finally decided to go ahead and make an account. I'm actually a college student, and I moved out to the middle of nowhere so I could get this summer job. When I do have free time, I'm reeeally bored. My usual gaming groups are all hundreds of miles away... :(

I've been playing RPGs for... eleven years, I think? I spent the first half of that time exclusively playing the old d20 Star Wars game from Wizards (it's really not a good game at all, but it seemed like the greatest thing ever when I was twelve). Since those days I branched out into D&D 3.5 and then a bunch of other stuff, but never 1st or 2nd edition. DCC is my first real taste of old school gaming, and I love it! :D

I'm also guilty of being a habitual homebrewer. I work on an assembly line, and some days things get crazy-slow. I have a notebook that I bring to work for days like these-- I try to write short stories, but usually I just wind up cramming pages full of random tables, new magic items, and other resources for DCC! Part of the impetus for me creating an account is the urge to share the stuff I scribble down, so there's a chance it'll actually be useful to someone.
Welcome Hungerstriker, I look forward to reading what you're ready to share!
Maledict Brothbreath, level 4 warrior, STR 16 (+2) AGI 7 (-1) STA 12 PER 9 INT 10 LUCK 15 (+1), AC: 16 Refl: +1 Fort: +2 Will: +1; lawful; Armor of the Lion and Lily's Blade.

Brother Sufferus, level 4 cleric, STR 13 (+1) AGI 15 (+1) STA 11 PER 13 (+1) INT 10 LUCK 9, AC: 11 (13 if wounded, 15 if down to half hit points), Refl: +3 Fort: +2 Will: +3, chaotic, Robe of the Faith, Scourge of the Maimed One, Darts of Pain.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Yeah, "habitual homebrewer" is not something to feel guilty about! :mrgreen:
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
MonsterSlayer
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by MonsterSlayer »

Hi,my name is Steve and we have been loving some DCC RPG the last couple of weeks since we bought it. It has been the answer to some 3 hour long combats that were taking place in our last game system. It has brought back some fuzzy tingly sensations in some old Grognards. It has given us more reasons to buy dice.

The game is awesome and I hope to be on the boards more to learn more ideas from some very cool posts I have read.
MonsterSlayer
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by MonsterSlayer »

Hi, just wanted to say we are joining the band! My wife and I are enjoying DCC RPG and starting to introduce the game to our friends. We love the old school feel, the streamlined "get to the fun" nature of the game. I've been looking through the boards for a while for the great advice and resources.

Thank you for making a great game and building a good community.

-MonsterSlayer
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Welcome!
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Hungerstriker
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Hungerstriker »

Skyscraper wrote:Welcome Hungerstriker, I look forward to reading what you're ready to share!
Thanks, Skyscraper!
Raven_Crowking wrote:Yeah, "habitual homebrewer" is not something to feel guilty about! :mrgreen:
Oh man, you should see the 'notes' I take during classes. At the top of the page is something useless like, "There are seven different types of Anthropology" ...and then it all just turns into statblocks, maps and plot outlines...
NJPDX
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by NJPDX »

Joining the band here in Portland OR,

After a long layoff from tabletop D&D (4e finally sucked all of the fun out gaming for me) I started to get the urge to play again and by accident sort of stumbled into the whole OSR phenomena about a day late and a dollar short.

So, after reading a lot of blogs and downloading a lot of pdfs like Labyrinth Lord, OSRIC and busting out all of my old AD&D 1st ed books and D&D Rules Cyclopedia, I realized I wanted to play an old-school game, but the old rules were leaving me a little bit cold. By luck I stumbled onto a few DCC reviews and youtube videos so I took the plunge during RPGNow's Christmas in July sale and got the DCC pdf about a week ago. Holy crap! I'm freaking hooked! I've got the hardcover en route from Amazon this week and now I need to find some folks that want to play.

If anybody in the Portland (Oregon) area needs a (really rusty) GM to run a DCC game, I'm eager to jump back into the fray. This system should fit in pretty seamlessly with my old home-brew world that is heavily influenced by Michael Moorcock's Eternal Champion series, Howard's Conan books, with a dash of Gene Wolfe's New Sun and a sprinkling of Gaelic and Brythonic myth.

Or if there's a group that's just looking for a player I'd be happy to do that too. :)

Cheers.

-Nick

EDIT:
I guess I should add I'm mostly interested in a face-to-face game. I've never done play by skype or play by post and while I'm not necessarily unwilling to give that kind of game a try, I'm much more comfortable playing D&D at a real table
DM Cojo
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by DM Cojo »

My name is Cory and I go by DM Cojo on most of the RPG forums I check. I live in Michigan and am a social studies teacher. I started gaming in 1984 when I was 10, with the Mentzer red box D&D. I gave up gaming in the early 90's, but got back into it about two years ago. I recently was turned on to DCC RPG by the Spellburn podcast, and am running my first DCC RPG game this weekend.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Welcome.

UP or LP Michigan?
SoBH pbp:

DM Cojo
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by DM Cojo »

Raven_Crowking wrote:Welcome.

UP or LP Michigan?
LP...near Grand Rapids.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

DM Cojo wrote:
Raven_Crowking wrote:Welcome.

UP or LP Michigan?
LP...near Grand Rapids.
I was born in the UP, and have family up there.
SoBH pbp:

Lightning Lord
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Lightning Lord »

Hey guys, my name is Andy. I bought DCC last week at the Wizard's Cache on a whim after hearing so much about it online. I'm originally from Toronto, but I'm currently going to school at Wayne State in Detroit. So kind of the reverse of Raven Crowking I think?
My dumbass blog: Dark Sun in DCC
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Lightning Lord wrote:Hey guys, my name is Andy. I bought DCC last week at the Wizard's Cache on a whim after hearing so much about it online. I'm originally from Toronto, but I'm currently going to school at Wayne State in Detroit. So kind of the reverse of Raven Crowking I think?
Or are you the anti-matter Raven Crowking???

Welcome!
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

GnomeBoy wrote:
Lightning Lord wrote:Hey guys, my name is Andy. I bought DCC last week at the Wizard's Cache on a whim after hearing so much about it online. I'm originally from Toronto, but I'm currently going to school at Wayne State in Detroit. So kind of the reverse of Raven Crowking I think?
Or are you the anti-matter Raven Crowking???

Welcome!
Should we ever meet, the universe will explode!

But it will also implode at the same time, with exactly the same force, so it'll be okay.

I was born in the UP Michigan, but I was living in California when I moved to Toronto.
SoBH pbp:

ThrashLibrarian
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by ThrashLibrarian »

Hi! I'm Mike and I live in Pittsburgh, PA. As a kid, I played a fair amount of Dungeon!, some BECMI era D&D and AD&D, and some Palladium stuff (mostly PFRPG and TMNT). I dropped out of the hobby during my later teen years, but got back in the swing of things about 6 1/2 years ago. Since then, I've played a bunch of the retro-clones, D&D 3.5 & 4, Call of Cthulhu, Savage Worlds, Dark Heresy, Fate, Burning Wheel, and, of course DCC. Currently, I'm playing in a Labyrinth Lord campaign, a Pathfinder campaign, and a Burning Wheel campaign. I just started running an episodic DCC game.

I fell for DCC the moment I saw the preview files and beta version. The old school art and atmosphere, combined with all of the creative mechanics really resonated with me. I got to play in games run by Michael Curtis and Doug Kovacs and that really sealed the deal. I just started running an episodic campaign at my local game club (http://www.gaspgamer.com), I'll be running Tower Out of Time at the Club's convention this November (http://www.warhorn.net/gaspcon-xiv/), and I'm going to be running some sessions for my "home group" starting next week.
ccy
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by ccy »

Howdy.

My name is Chuck, aka "cy"; I'm an OG who stepped into a time capsule around 1985 and emerged here only to find a bunch of cool games that are now absorbing way too much of my attention to be considered "healthy".

The best possible intro I can lay on y'all is my list of (more) pocket dimensions spawned by Phlogiston Disturbances:
  • The Rim: you are hurtling at an indescribable speed around the edge of a howling, impenetrable darkness, the skin on your face pulling with the force - and you're drawing nearer to the event horizon with each orbit.
    Shadow land: the shadows cast the reflections, not the other way around.
    The sea of holes, or Holey Sea.
    Flatland: a 2 dimensional space, moving through time. You have only length and area - not volume. A line that points at you is invisible.
    The inside of an ENORMOUS sphere; every minute or so you fall through the empty center, oscillating like a weight on a spring.
    The void: It's dark. You don't even know what you're standing on - when you bend down to touch the ground, there's nothing there.
    The miniverse: you're floating in space, and you're about twice the size of that planet 20 paces thataway.
    Planck's Indiscretion: the empty space between all matter is exaggerated to the point where all that can be observed are quanta connected across emptiness, you being one such quanta.
    The Apocalypse: the sun dominates half the sky, the heat is unbearable, the noise of the storm is deafening, the grass is catching fire.
    The Meta: you are on an immense flat surface. There are impassive mountain-sized titans observing you from over the horizon. In fact, there are exactly as many of these colossi as are at this gaming table, right now...
As far as CV, I live in Austin, TX. I do various things IRL, often, but not always, tech related. I wanna play and run DCC a bunch before I die. Help? LOL.
rredmond
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by rredmond »

Hi I'm Ron,

Mainly an AD&D 1E fan but I really enjoyed the DCC modules. Through the various forums and G+ I've learned that there's lots to like about DCC RPG. Also heard amazing things about Harley from a really good guy I know, Jon Hershberger.
I thought I was already registered here but apparently not. Found that out when I tried to post just to bust another members chops. :D

Anyways, glad to be here, can't wait to tool around a bit although not sure how much I'll be able to contribute.

Be well!
Desrimal
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Desrimal »

Hello Bandmembers

A new DCC player from Denmark here. I recently bought the DCC book and decided to try it out with a Pathfinder group I'm part off. We had a blast with the Funnel from the book (Portal off the Stars?) and my players are facing the People of the Pit tommorow. I like the system and the whole flavor off the game alot.

I've been playing RPG's for a looooong time (mostly C&C in the past 10 years).

Peter
RPGing since ´87
Guitarist in Rust Age
http://itunes.apple.com/dk/artist/rust-age/id460786336
marshal kt

Post by marshal kt »

Hi. I started in AD&D back in 1980. I've played or run various systems. I ran 3.0 for a while. I usually run Savage Worlds. DCC is my 2nd favorite system. I usually don't like hit points and class systems, but DCC makes up for it.
themightyeroc
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by themightyeroc »

marshal kt wrote:Hi. I started in AD&D back in 1980. I've played or run various systems. I ran 3.0 for a while. I usually run Savage Worlds. DCC is my 2nd favorite system. I usually don't like hit points and class systems, but DCC makes up for it.
I hooked him with a zero level funnel!!!!
Ah well, who wants to live forever? DIE!
worldoferoc.blogspot.com

Return to “DCC RPG General”