Loving this concept

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

bigironvault
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Loving this concept

Post by bigironvault »

Hi everyone, been reading a ton of reviews and some of the free PDFs. I'm really liking this game a lot. It's totally after my own heart in terms of it's brutality and just level of difficulty. The random-ness is perfect. I've even taken a stab at making my own RPG very similar to this (and sold quite a few copies) but I think DCC takes it to another level. Can't wait for my copy and the modules to arrive in the mail.

Good job Goodman!
tovokas
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Re: Loving this concept

Post by tovokas »

Welcome aboard!
Jon Marr
Purple Sorcerer Games
purplesorcerer.com
IronWolf
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by IronWolf »

Welcome, though I am a newcomer myself.

We played our about 6 level 0's through the included funnel adventure just to play with the rules a bit. It was great fun!
bigironvault
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by bigironvault »

You know at the basic level,

1. Critical/Fumbles
2. Charts for all spells
3. Rolling different types of dice

... all equal awesome!
IronWolf
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by IronWolf »

bigironvault wrote: 3. Rolling different types of dice

... all equal awesome!
You know I hear some people complain about the funny dice. I think it is great! It was sort of fun tracking down the unusual dice I didn't have in my collection. It is hard to recapture that feeling when I opened my Moldvay Basic box and saw these funny looking dice, but I think DCC is recapturing that - along with many other things from those early days of gaming.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

And if you don't like funky dice, there are some easy fixes.
1. Roll a larger die and roll over (e.g. use a d8 for a d7, re-roll 8's)
2. Use a smaller die and a control die to double the range (e.g. use a d12 and d6 to simulate a d24; do nothing if the d6 comes up 1-3 and add 12 if the d6 comes up 4-6)

My first playtest games all took place without the special dice. Not a really big deal at all. (Of course, now that I have several sets I don't want to go back... :wink: )
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
IronWolf
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by IronWolf »

finarvyn wrote:And if you don't like funky dice, there are some easy fixes.
2. Use a smaller die and a control die to double the range (e.g. use a d12 and d6 to simulate a d24; do nothing if the d6 comes up 1-3 and add 12 if the d6 comes up 4-6)

My first playtest games all took place without the special dice. Not a really big deal at all. (Of course, now that I have several sets I don't want to go back... :wink: )
Yeah, I've been using normal dice with control dice and such as mentioned on here. I have my "funky" dice ordered and on the way though! Can't wait until they get here.
TheNobleDrake
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by TheNobleDrake »

finarvyn wrote:And if you don't like funky dice, there are some easy fixes.

An interesting note is that DCC can actually be played just fine with a single d10 (used as d30, d20, d10 and d5) a single d12 (used as d24, d12, d6, d4 and d3) and a single d8 (used as d8 and d16... also able to sub in as a d7 and d14).

It takes only 3 dice if you want... and none of them are particularly hard to find, either.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

TheNobleDrake wrote:An interesting note is that DCC can actually be played just fine with a single d10 (used as d30, d20, d10 and d5) a single d12 (used as d24, d12, d6, d4 and d3) and a single d8 (used as d8 and d16... also able to sub in as a d7 and d14).

It takes only 3 dice if you want... and none of them are particularly hard to find, either.
Ah ... a minimalist! :lol:

Seriously, that is an awesome observation and a wonderful counter to the argument that DCC is unplayable because of the dice requirement.

Three dice. Heh! 8)
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
IronWolf
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by IronWolf »

TheNobleDrake wrote: An interesting note is that DCC can actually be played just fine with a single d10 (used as d30, d20, d10 and d5) a single d12 (used as d24, d12, d6, d4 and d3) and a single d8 (used as d8 and d16... also able to sub in as a d7 and d14).
But I *want* to roll funny looking dice! :wink:
TheNobleDrake
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by TheNobleDrake »

finarvyn wrote:Ah ... a minimalist! :lol:
Yeah... a minimalist... that's me. Yeah, right! I am the guy that bought 6 lbs of assorted Gamescience dice + one 7 piece set for each of my 8 players and a 12 piece set for myself, and snagged a 7 piece set from a friend that bought them and then thought they were "ugly".

...oh, and sometime, probably soon, I am going to pick up about 8 more d30s and d3s... you know, just to cover the bases.
finarvyn wrote:Seriously, that is an awesome observation and a wonderful counter to the argument that DCC is unplayable because of the dice requirement.

Three dice. Heh! 8)
It was an observation I happened upon while a player was asking "which dice do I need to play this Halfling?" and my gut reaction, being heavily sarcastic by nature, was to say the strangest sounding thing I could think of... and it turned out that I was right about managing every die asked for in DCC with just 3 frequently under-used die types.
IronWolf wrote:But I *want* to roll funny looking dice! :wink:
Me too! I especially like the "teardrop" d3s, "tri-force" d5s, and d16s... though oddly, I'd rather roll a Gamescience d14 for both d14 and d7 results than use an actual d7... apparently it is "too weird" for me.
bigironvault
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by bigironvault »

I think the bottom line is that this is the game I would have written if I could. Love it.

Return to “DCC RPG General”