I haven't been this excited about an RPG since 2005.

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Stelios
Gongfarmer

I haven't been this excited about an RPG since 2005.

Post by Stelios »

I posted something similar (and much shorter) on EnWorld (and since I'm new here please forgive me if I've posted this in the wrong place). But I have to give credit where credit is due:

Perhaps I'm a bit jaded after 22+ years of gaming, or perhaps I'm just nostalgic for the lost days of my youth, or perhaps I'm just fed up with the all the quantity of things published by mainstream publishers (WotC/etc.) that have almost turned the hobby into something I don't quite recognize anymore.

But in any case, I heard about DCC RPG on Monday of this week, bought it Wednesday at my FLGS, and have read everything but all of the spell descriptions by today (Friday).

The last RPG Ruleset I was this excited over was Warhammer Fantasy Role Play, second edition, back in 2005. I still get excited about that game, but its been surpassed by another edtion that I don't quite recognize.

That's seven years of looking or buying RPG books and simply liking certain books and not being excited about them. That's seven years of saying "meh" to a lot of material. That's years seven of going to my FLGS, maybe buying some new RPG supplement because it looked interesting, but didn't excite me, or even wishing I hadn't bought it in the first place.

(Does anybody else feel the same way or had similar experiences?)

So thank you so much for a wonderful product that captures the themes and "feel" of Appendix N. Thanks for the excitement I once thought was lost. I'm going to run DCC RPG ASAP.

I wish I would have paid more attention to Goodman Games years before, but I sure as hell will now.

Thanks again!

--Stelios
larsdangly
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: I haven't been this excited about an RPG since 2005.

Post by larsdangly »

Agreed. This is the freshest core roleplaying game product to be published in a long time. WFRP is a good point of comparison. I would have to take a trip in the way back machine to come up with another game I thought was similarly strong right out of the box. There are gobs of OSR style games out there right now, but this one stands alone.
tovokas
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by tovokas »

Welcome Stelios. I think you'll find a lot of nice folks here. (Who share your opinion :) )
Jon Marr
Purple Sorcerer Games
purplesorcerer.com
Black Dougal
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
FLGS: Total Escape Games, Broomfield CO

Post by Black Dougal »

Yay! Another convert! :-)

*does the fan boy dance*

In all seriousness, welcome to the group. I think you are going to like it here. If you like the RPG, you should definitely check out the DCC adventure modules. I think you will like those as well.
"The Black Dougal" (formerly known as dkeester) -- DCCRPG Fan Boy since 2010
DCCRPG PC Death Toll: 25

DCCRPG Playtests: Tacticon 2010, GenghisCon 2011, Tacticon 2011, GenghisCon 2012
Member: The DCC Expendables (Denver, CO)

Doug may very well hold the dubious title of “most DCC RPG PCs lost during the course of convention play.”
--Harley Stroh
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

Welcome aboard!

I think that DCC goes out of its way not to be "just another D&D game."

The rules are whimsical, the modules dark, magic is dangerous and unpredictable. It is an exciting blend of RPG goodness and I'm glad you found it!
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
funkaoshi
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by funkaoshi »

I feel the same way. I've got back into RPGs in a big way after reading through the rule book. I've been buying all sorts of other stuff, reading all sorts of blogs, starting my own, etc.
fuel
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by fuel »

I haven't played since the days of 2E (1997?). I have a stepson now and since he has an overactive imagination, I thought I would get a RPG to play with him. I could not find anything that I liked. 4E was WAY too freaking complicated, as was Pathfinder. They really didn't appeal to me at all. So I started looking for the old AD&D books (1E) which was my favorite. Then I discovered the OSR. I wound up with a copy of S&W which I liked but I still felt I was missing something. When I discovered the Beta DCC, I knew this was "The One". We played the 0 level with an old friend that I used to play D&D with back in the day. It was SO much fun. I couldn't wait for the real game to come out. This game is a blast and really captures that feel of when I was 11 looking at the game and dreaming up characters and worlds. This game captures the feel of S&S so well. I can't wait to play it for a while and then work on some gonzo "Thundarr the Barbarian" worlds.
Stainless
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Stainless »

So this explains why DCC has sold out already on the three big online RPG stores in the UK; Leisure Games, Games Lore, and IGUK. They are probably the three largest sources of RPGs in the UK, so having the game sold out within two weeks is definitely a "sign".

I really relate to coming back to RPGs and finding that it had, "almost turned the hobby into something I don't quite recognize anymore". I got out some time after 2e came out as I could see it was becoming a salami-sliced production line of lowest common denominator. Got back into the hobby in about 2003/4.
Avatar by Stefan Poag (I now own the original!)
Outsiders68
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Outsiders68 »

I spoke to leisure games there out till end of June.

Wow...

It's really taken of uk wise.....I would say...
TheNobleDrake
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by TheNobleDrake »

Outsiders68 wrote:I spoke to leisure games there out till end of June.

Wow...

It's really taken of uk wise.....I would say...
It has really made an impact on the west coast USA, too, I would say... as my FLGS is having trouble getting in any more copies because his distributor is only showing them available in their eastern warehouses, which for some reason it is hard to get them to ship to him from...

I've been waiting 3 weeks now trying to get a few extra copies of the core rules through local means (I love supporting local business as much as I can afford to).

Return to “DCC RPG General”