The Kickstarter madness has me thinking about dice

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Machpants
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Re: The Kickstarter madness has me thinking about dice

Post by Machpants »

TheNobleDrake wrote:It seriously only takes 3 dice to play DCC - a d12, a d10, and a d8.
To me one of the beauties of the DCC system is the fact that you don't have to do too much math, cos the die just changes size rather than heaps of mods. I know you can do all the stuff on normal dice (too much math) or e-dice (not the same thing). The thing is I like rolling the real thing and I like them to look good (like the books) and I am not alone. Go to any site that is talking about DCC and the dice come up as problematic. If GG offered a decent set you can purchase in one place (very important for those of us who don't live in the US) then many objections would be stilled and many more purchases of DCC made.
LAST OF THE F3W
Gloria Finis
bholmes4
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by bholmes4 »

meinvt wrote:I appreciate that there are those who don't mind rolling dice and doing math or re-rolls or other work arounds. And I did get a set of game science dice so I could have a complete set, but I am convinced the d5 does not roll fairly on the vinyl chessex mat surface that will always be on our table when we play.
Have to agree. I did some tests and if the d5 is rolled on a hard surface and "bounces" a few times it rolls just fine. If rolled on a felt mat (like in my dice tray) or on a chessex mat it does not roll fairly.

Add me to the list of people that would love to see the d3/d4/d5/d7 doubled up on larger dice. I have multiple sets of dice for DCC but these four dice always annoy me. I recently bought a bunch of "d4"s that were cut on to d8 polys and I absolutely love them. If I could get d3/d5/d7 cut this way I would be very happy.

I also mix and match my sets such that the base set of dice used in regular D&D are one colour and the DCC-specific dice are another colour. This really helps differentiate the d24 from the d20, d10 from d14 and so on. I'd strongly recommend offering the same with this kickstarter, at the very least for the "doubled up poly's".
RevTurkey
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by RevTurkey »

I love my d5 it's proper groovy :D
Playing since about 1980
Latest games: DCC RPG of course!
Quote I like: "I am on a computer therfore I am" (Alan Plater)
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

bholmes4 wrote:I recently bought a bunch of "d4"s that were cut on to d8 polys and I absolutely love them.
That's cool. Where did you find them?
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
bholmes4
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by bholmes4 »

finarvyn wrote:
bholmes4 wrote:I recently bought a bunch of "d4"s that were cut on to d8 polys and I absolutely love them.
From the Gamescience booth last year at Gencon :(
TheNobleDrake
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by TheNobleDrake »

bholmes4 wrote:
finarvyn wrote:
From the Gamescience booth last year at Gencon :(
I got a bunch of the same d4 style by ordering pounds of dice from Gamescience.

Regarding rolling dice on a Chessex mat - do you have space available to roll them harder? Things don't seem so bad on our table (nearly covered entirely by Chessex mat), but that may either be due to the hardwood table beneath the mat (antique dinner table for 8) or to the fact that my players tend to roll everything pretty vigorously.

Return to “DCC RPG General”