Layered DCC Character Sheet

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Alegur
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Layered DCC Character Sheet

Post by Alegur »

I just finished putting together the first draft of a layered DCC Sheet. When you open the document with Acrobat Reader, click on the layers button on the left and you can choose several options, from a 2 up zero level sheet (the default view), to an individual sheet for each class.

These are inspired by both the cool online generator over at Purple Sorcerer http://purplesorcerer.com/create.htm and the official sheets available on the website here at Goodman Games.

I say first draft, because if you download these and make use of them, please leave feedback as to what, within reason they may be needing and especially if they are missing something essential.

They can be downloaded from this link https://www.box.com/s/c9d5c43e4fad059e793d and I'll also put them on the sheets section of my blog.

Let me know what I missed, my players will tell you, I always miss something :P

hope you find them useful
TheNobleDrake
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Re: Layered DCC Character Sheet

Post by TheNobleDrake »

Nice sheets! I actually like them more than i like the ones I made myself.

My only suggestions: Consolidate layers; Base Information and Gear should probably just be one layer, and if you could reorganize the layers so that there was a "base" layer that was meant to always be on and then the other layers were all just add-ons to that layer it would be more intuitive to use... so you wouldn't have to turn off zero level, turn on base and gear, then turn on your desired class.

Oh, and the 0-level class layer... I say commit to it and make it part of the 0-level layer.

Also, getting your cleric's lay on hands table changed from specific dice (example: 1d6+CL) to amounts of dice (example: 2) to match the final version of the rules is probably a good thing to do.
tovokas
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by tovokas »

Cool beans. It looked to work well as I played around with it.

I agree linking the 0-level layers together would be a good idea - I like "funnel fodder". :)
Jon Marr
Purple Sorcerer Games
purplesorcerer.com
PretentiousMoniker
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by PretentiousMoniker »

Very, very nice!

I agree regarding Base/0/0lvl - Base always on would be nice, combine zero-level with zero-level-class which overlay Base.

One thing that I think the player would be tracking rather than the Judge is Luck - I think the Base should have Luck / Changed Luck or Luck Burn for luck expenditures, since everyone can do that (if you're using those rules)

I'd need to playtest at higher levels and with spellcasters to find more opportunities to improve, but I like the simplicity and elegance of the layout.
Galadrin
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Galadrin »

Very cool! When I get a free moment, I will probably use this as inspiration to make my own custom sheet. In that spot under "Equipment of Note" on the Warrior sheet, can you put a shield outline for heraldry or maybe a portrait box?
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

Cool stuff, thanks! :)
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
Alegur
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Alegur »

Thanks for the replies. I took today off and just sat down at the computer. I'll try to get to those changes this weekend, or no later than tuesday and I'll post an update here that I updated the sheet :P

So, over the next couple of days, feel free to add any suggestions.
Alegur
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Alegur »

I updated the file and I think I managed to incorporate everyone's suggestions. :D

Let me know if there are any problems downloading, I just used the update file feature in Box and I've not actually used it before.

Oh, the 'portrait/heraldry' shield is on a layer of it's on intentionally. I felt like everyone might not want to use it, and I wiggled things around to where it is actually usable by everyone except thieves and clerics
TheNobleDrake
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by TheNobleDrake »

Looks great Alegur, even the inclusion of the luck burn section for everyone... it's a bit unneeded in my opinion since everyone can burn luck, but in every case other than Thief and Halfling it is permanent - so you don't need to track more than just the one score to track it correctly.
PretentiousMoniker
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by PretentiousMoniker »

TheNobleDrake wrote:Looks great Alegur, even the inclusion of the luck burn section for everyone... it's a bit unneeded in my opinion since everyone can burn luck, but in every case other than Thief and Halfling it is permanent - so you don't need to track more than just the one score to track it correctly.
Well, permanent in the sense that it's not regenerated on a daily basis, but (DCC RPG p19) "... Luck may be restored over the course of their adventures, ... Characters that act against their alignment may find themselves suddenly unlucky." So if the Judge is running an 'actively lucky' campaign setting, characters may be burning luck, regaining luck, or losing luck more frequently than they would other stats, which is why I recommended including it for all. I wouldn't recommend classes other than Thief or Halfling changing frequently, but a single adventure is short enough to fall into the 'temporary' category IMHO.
TheNobleDrake
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by TheNobleDrake »

I understand what you were getting at now PretentiousMoniker, and I see the use as well.

Also, I like the similarity between our choice of nom de forum.

My only concern with using a similar box setup to those for spellburn and thief/halfling luck tracking is the player asking "...do I get that point of luck back?" at various times (resting, downtime, maybe even asking about spellcasting fixing it for them) where they wouldn't if tracking their luck score in a single box like most characters do most attributes.

It's a very minor concern... but I know at least one of my players would ask every single session, we tend to be forgetful and look to the sheet for reminders.

Return to “DCC RPG General”