Free RPG Day

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Free RPG Day

Post by goodmangames »

Free RPG Day is Saturday, June 16! Just in case you missed the front page update, we've posted details on our Free RPG Day release for this year. You can find the page here: http://www.goodman-games.com/FRPGD12preview.html

This year's module features two adventures, plus the start of our Mystery Map Adventure Design Competition!

The first adventure is The Undulating Corruption, a level 5 scenario by Michael Curtis. The characters learn of a purported Crucible that can cure their wizard's corruption...but reaching this cure is not easy!

The second adventure is The Jeweler That Dealt in Stardust, a level 3 scenario by Harley Stroh. A jeweler and fence has gone missing, and his house of jewels now sits empty. Surely a cunning thief could make his way inside to steal the unguarded riches?

Rounding out the two adventures are full details on the Mystery Map Adventure Design Competition. The Free RPG Day adventure booklet contains The Mystery Map -- a partially complete map. In the Mystery Map Adventure Design Competition, your job is to complete the map and pitch us on the 5,000-word adventure you would write to accompany it. A panel of distinguished judges will decide on the winner, who will receive a contract for $1,000 to write his adventure.

More information on Free RPG Day is available at http://www.freerpgday.com . As always, our Free RPG Day module will premiere in participating retail stores, then be available for purchase online (as print or PDF) approximately 1-2 weeks after the event.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Colin

Re: Free RPG Day

Post by Colin »

I don't have a LGS to be able to encounter any Free RPG Day goodies, but I'll definitely be looking forward to the later print/pdf release. :)

Colin
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

RAD Colin wrote:I don't have a LGS to be able to encounter any Free RPG Day goodies
I *have* a LGS, but their cheap asses don't participate in RPG Day. (As I whinge about every year.)
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

Ogrepuppy wrote:
RAD Colin wrote:I don't have a LGS to be able to encounter any Free RPG Day goodies
I *have* a LGS, but their cheap asses don't participate in RPG Day. (As I whinge about every year.)
My local store usually only lets a person pick one item. (I bring my sister along so I get two.)
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
DimitriX
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by DimitriX »

For those of you in the Austin, TX, US area, I'll be running demos of DCC RPG on Free RPG day at Dragon's Lair on Burnet. Come say hi!
meinvt
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by meinvt »

finarvyn wrote:My local store usually only lets a person pick one item. (I bring my sister along so I get two.)
Unfortunately, the closest 'local' store that participates is a 3 and a half hour drive away. :-(
Blood Axe
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: The Portal

Post by Blood Axe »

RAD Colin wrote:I don't have a LGS to be able to encounter any Free RPG Day goodies, but I'll definitely be looking forward to the later print/pdf release. :)

Colin

Same here.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

Blood Axe wrote:
RAD Colin wrote:I don't have a LGS to be able to encounter any Free RPG Day goodies, but I'll definitely be looking forward to the later print/pdf release. :)

Colin

Same here.
Same here.
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
DCCfan
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer
FLGS: The Comics Club

Post by DCCfan »

meinvt wrote:
finarvyn wrote:My local store usually only lets a person pick one item. (I bring my sister along so I get two.)
Unfortunately, the closest 'local' store that participates is a 3 and a half hour drive away. :-(
The closest store to me that participates is 90 minutes away. I had so much fun last year that it's worth the inconvenience for me. So I plan to make the drive again this year.
"When creating your character,choose an ethical system that can justify nearly any fit of temper, greed, cowardice, or vindictiveness, for example, Chaotic Violent..."

THE PROTOCOLS, ADVANCED PROTOCOL #10
Karaptis
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Karaptis »

The Buffalo NY area is such a void for good gaming unless you want to sit at a Magic table and smell everyone's armpits! :cry:
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

If in Toronto, I'll be running these at Dueling Grounds, at Noon for the 3rd level adventure, and at 3 pm for the 5th level adventure.

BTW, @goodman: Will there be pregens included for the demo players, or should I whip some up for this?
Last edited by Raven_Crowking on Tue May 29, 2012 5:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Colin

Post by Colin »

Karaptis wrote:The Buffalo NY area is such a void for good gaming unless you want to sit at a Magic table and smell everyone's armpits! :cry:
I can't say I'd want to go anywhere where I'd have to wear a bandolier of deodorant just to protect my nose, either. Eww.

Colin
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Raven_Crowking wrote:If in Toronto, I'll be running these at Dueling Grounds, at Noon for the 3rd level adventure, and at 3 pm for the 5th level adventure.

BTW, @goodman: Will there be pregens included for the demo players, or should I whip some up for this?
Excellent, thanks for running the game!

The module itself does not include pregens (tough to fit them into the tight page count) but we will be posting them online a few days before the event.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Thanks for the quick reply!
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Ravenheart87 wrote:
Blood Axe wrote:

Colin

Same here.
Same here.

Sounds like we have at least three gamers here that need to relocate their lives. Get your priorities right guys!! ;)
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Karaptis
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Karaptis »

Raven_Crowking wrote:If in Toronto, I'll be running these at Dueling Grounds, at Noon for the 3rd level adventure, and at 3 pm for the 5th level adventure.

I hope my enhanced driver's liscence comes in the mail by then so I can get back from your country... though maybe if I cannot, I can live in an awesome city like Toronto! Hmmmm :idea:
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Karaptis wrote:

I hope my enhanced driver's liscence comes in the mail by then so I can get back from your country... though maybe if I cannot, I can live in an awesome city like Toronto! Hmmmm :idea:
Toronto is pretty awesome, despite the bickering of our Mayor and our City Hall!
SoBH pbp:

Galadrin
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Galadrin »

I'll be there, save me a seat!
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Galadrin wrote:

I'll be there, save me a seat!
I don't know how DG organizes sign-up for events, so perhaps you should give Wayne a shout there. The number is 416-534-3835.

http://www.dueling-grounds.com/
SoBH pbp:

reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

I'll be running DCC RPG at Emerald Knights on Free RPG Day. I'm not sure what I'll run, probably a funnel or a short 1st level thing. We'll see. I only get 2 hours x2.

http://ekcomicsandgames.com/

They also have Crawl! #1 in stock.
Reverend Dakota Jesus Ultimak, S.S.M.o.t.S.M.S., D.M.

(Dungeon) Master In Chief of Crawl! fanzine. - http://www.crawlfanzine.com/

"[...] there is no doubt that Dungeons and Dragons and its imitators are right out of the pit of hell." - William Schnoebelen, Straight talk on Dungeons & Dragons
Colin

Post by Colin »

goodmangames wrote:Sounds like we have at least three gamers here that need to relocate their lives. Get your priorities right guys!! ;)
Heh. Bizarrely, I'm waiting for the final word on relocating my family's life to the other side of the planet (New Zealand).

Colin
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

Looks like I'll be running another demo on Free RPG Day at Faire Game in Downers Grove, IL.

I stopped in to brouse and the store owner ambushed me. He just got some copies of the book in and thinks it looks great, and he wanted someone to run some games. Guess who he thought of first. :P
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Machpants
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Machpants »

RAD Colin wrote:
goodmangames wrote:Sounds like we have at least three gamers here that need to relocate their lives. Get your priorities right guys!! ;)
Heh. Bizarrely, I'm waiting for the final word on relocating my family's life to the other side of the planet (New Zealand).

Colin
The right choice there bro!
LAST OF THE F3W
Gloria Finis
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

I would love to relocate - to Sweden, Norway or Great Britain. :)
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
Jim Skach
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Jim Skach »

finarvyn wrote:Looks like I'll be running another demo on Free RPG Day at Faire Game in Downers Grove, IL.

I stopped in to brouse and the store owner ambushed me. He just got some copies of the book in and thinks it looks great, and he wanted someone to run some games. Guess who he thought of first. :P
wish I was closer...

Isn't that Father's Day Weekend? And with my birthday within a couple of days of the 16th, I suspect I will be going to Games Plus...

..or maybe I'll take a trip to Downer's Grove!

Return to “DCC RPG General”