Free RPG Day

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Tortog
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Re: Free RPG Day

Post by Tortog »

As luck would have it, the 16th is one of our regular game days, so I already have table space for 4 hours at Guardian Games in Portland, OR. The dice start rolling at 5pm and we have 5 of 8 seats available. :D
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Mintaro
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Mintaro »

My local game shop is too cheap to do free RPG day as well. We have a new comic shop in town but he doesn't carry RPGs, just comics and collectible games (magic cards hero clicks). Might have to drive into San Francisco. Anyone know of any sonoma county game stores doing free RPG day?

Edit - Never mind I just went to their site and used their retailer search engine. Man I freaking love the internet.
cjfodel
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by cjfodel »

Well for those of you that dont have FLGS (mine 90 mins away) Why don't ypu start a FREE RPG Day mini cone for the area that you live in?

Charles
DimitriX
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by DimitriX »

I got the DCC RPG materials for Free RPG day so I can run demos next week. I think I remember Joseph or Harley mentioning that there will be other materials for those of us running demos. Are those available yet? How can/will we get them?
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

DimitriX wrote:I got the DCC RPG materials for Free RPG day so I can run demos next week. I think I remember Joseph or Harley mentioning that there will be other materials for those of us running demos. Are those available yet? How can/will we get them?
+1.

I am running these on the 16th in Toronto.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

Yeah, BUMP.

I'm running two short sessions of DCC RPG in Burbank, and I could use some supporting material. I haven't even thought about what to run, or what I'll need yet... soooooo busssyyyy....
Reverend Dakota Jesus Ultimak, S.S.M.o.t.S.M.S., D.M.

(Dungeon) Master In Chief of Crawl! fanzine. - http://www.crawlfanzine.com/

"[...] there is no doubt that Dungeons and Dragons and its imitators are right out of the pit of hell." - William Schnoebelen, Straight talk on Dungeons & Dragons
bmonroe
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by bmonroe »

Mintaro wrote:My local game shop is too cheap to do free RPG day as well. We have a new comic shop in town but he doesn't carry RPGs, just comics and collectible games (magic cards hero clicks). Might have to drive into San Francisco. Anyone know of any sonoma county game stores doing free RPG day?

Edit - Never mind I just went to their site and used their retailer search engine. Man I freaking love the internet.
FWIW: Black Diamond Games in Concord, CA is doing FRPG Day, and I'll be there running DCC in the evening.
thogard
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by thogard »

DimitriX wrote:For those of you in the Austin, TX, US area, I'll be running demos of DCC RPG on Free RPG day at Dragon's Lair on Burnet. Come say hi!
What time will the DCC be going on? I'll probably swing by with an offspring or two.
Galadrin
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Galadrin »

Raven_Crowking wrote:
DimitriX wrote:I got the DCC RPG materials for Free RPG day so I can run demos next week. I think I remember Joseph or Harley mentioning that there will be other materials for those of us running demos. Are those available yet? How can/will we get them?
+1.

I am running these on the 16th in Toronto.
Ahh, something came up and I won't be able to make it! Roll some Zocchi's for me!
toadlike
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by toadlike »

My local game store just announced that they'll be hosting a Free RPG Day event as well. ( Well, maybe they announced it a while back, and I just found out today.) I'll see if it's not too late for me to run a DCC demo.
http://toadlike.tumblr.com/ => Where I blog about science-fantasy, philosophy of a pessimistic bent, and the best clubs in Atlanta.

Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG= survival horror of the finest caliber.
DimitriX
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by DimitriX »

thogard wrote:
DimitriX wrote:For those of you in the Austin, TX, US area, I'll be running demos of DCC RPG on Free RPG day at Dragon's Lair on Burnet. Come say hi!
What time will the DCC be going on? I'll probably swing by with an offspring or two.
I believe we're supposed to start at 6pm.
Hand of Mystra
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Hand of Mystra »

On Saturday, I will be running at least one of the DCC Free RPG day mods in Philadelphia at Redcap's corner. First slot is at noon
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Guys, I love the fact that so many of you are running demo sessions! That's great. Here's an idea. If you're running a game on Free RPG Day, please post the store info here. (Store name, physical address, phone number, web site.) And give details on the times for your game. I'll include a link to this thread in my next email blast so fans everywhere can find games this weekend!

I'll start. I will be at Game Kastle in Santa Clara, CA signing autographs from 10:00 to noon. Come on by!

Game Kastle
1350 Coleman Ave, Santa Clara, CA
(408) 727-2452
http://www.gamekastle.com/
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
TheRusty
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by TheRusty »

I'll be running a 12pm and a 4pm demo, at least, at:
The Game Keep
3952 Lebanon Pike
Hermitage TN 37076
615-883-4800
http://thegamekeep.com

Don Cee, the event organizer, will also be running a DCC demo at 10am.
bmonroe
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by bmonroe »

I'm running a demo at Black Diamond Games, starting at 6:00:

1950 Market Street, Suite E
Concord, CA 94520
925-681-0600
http://blackdiamondgames.com/
reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

I'll be running two short 2-hour demos in Burbank, California:

1pm to 3pm and 4pm to 6pm

Emerald Knights
4116 West Burbank Boulevard
Burbank, CA 91505
(818) 588-3631
http://ekcomicsandgames.com/
Reverend Dakota Jesus Ultimak, S.S.M.o.t.S.M.S., D.M.

(Dungeon) Master In Chief of Crawl! fanzine. - http://www.crawlfanzine.com/

"[...] there is no doubt that Dungeons and Dragons and its imitators are right out of the pit of hell." - William Schnoebelen, Straight talk on Dungeons & Dragons
Rick
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: Gateway Games & More

Post by Rick »

Forum members adminfoo and Rick (that's me!) will be running the two DCC RPG Free RPG Day adventures at:

YottaQuest
7607 Hamilton Avenue
Cincinnati, Ohio
513-923-1985
yottaquest.com

He's running The Undulating Corruption, a 5th level adventure by Michael Curtis from 9:30am - 1:30pm, and I'm running Harley Stroh's 3rd level adventure, The Jeweler That Dealt in Stardust, from 3:30pm - 7:30pm.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

I'll be running a demo at:

Fair Game
5150 Main St. Suite C
Downers Grove, IL 60515
630-963-0640
http://fairgamestore.com/

I'll confess that I'm not 100% sure what I'm going to run. I had originally thought to run one of the short adventures in the core rulebook, or the Free RPG Day module. Then I thought "but if I do this and someone buys the rulebook, won't they be bummed to find that they've already played one of the two samples?"

I'm currently thinking of taking one of Doug's maps and making up my own adventure for it. I found one he calls RPGMap02 that has three rooms in it, perfect for a demo. I think I'm going to make up a couple of sets of encounters -- one for zeroes and one for above-level dudes. That way I can "wing it" with either option, depending upon whether I have folks who want to generate from scratch or try something with a higher-level character.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

finarvyn wrote:I'll be running a demo at:

Fair Game
5150 Main St. Suite C
Downers Grove, IL 60515
630-963-0640

I'll confess that I'm not 100% sure what I'm going to run. I had originally thought to run one of the short adventures in the core rulebook, or the Free RPG Day module. Then I thought "but if I do this and someone buys the rulebook, won't they be bummed to find that they've already played one of the two samples?"

I'm currently thinking of taking one of Doug's maps and making up my own adventure for it. I found one he calls RPGMap02 that has three rooms in it, perfect for a demo. I think I'm going to make up a couple of sets of encounters -- one for zeroes and one for above-level dudes. That way I can "wing it" with either option, depending upon whether I have folks who want to generate from scratch or try something with a higher-level character.
Feel like running a playtest of Bone Hoard of the Dancing Horror? If so, contact Mark Gedak via PM and see if he'll shoot you the pdf.
SoBH pbp:

DimitriX
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by DimitriX »

finarvyn wrote:I'll be running a demo at:

Fair Game
5150 Main St. Suite C
Downers Grove, IL 60515
630-963-0640

I've decided that I'm going to have two things ready. If I get a bunch of newbies, then I'll run the 0-level adventure in the core book so people can get a feel for the game and the rules. If I get a bunch of people who are already familiar with DCC RPG, then I will run the level 3 adventure in this year's Free RPG giveaway (or maybe just part of it).
bitflipr
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by bitflipr »

Someone over at RPG.net has posted a review (more like an overview) of the DCC adventures available for Free RPG day. I thought most would find this interesting and help garner interest for tomorrow.

http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/15/15612.phtml
l1wolf
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by l1wolf »

I am going to try and run the intro module at Boardwalk in Greenville SC at around 1pm and maybe again or a hight level mod at 5pm, if anyone knows some people in the area who want to try DCC out for the first time.
ShaggyCan
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by ShaggyCan »

Karaptis wrote:The Buffalo NY area is such a void for good gaming unless you want to sit at a Magic table and smell everyone's armpits! :cry:
I was totally just going to post this!
Just for fun go type Buffalo NY into the FreeRPG day event map and take a look. Its a giant dead zone.
I live in St. Catharines, ON, which is just over the boarder.
My FLGS is doing nothing, and doesn't even have anything DCC. This whole area is blighted by the scourge that is Warhammer. :|
Irishvince
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Irishvince »

I'll be running a Bilingual demo of DCC RPG probably a funnnel 0-level game for free Rpg day (well Weekend since we play on Saturdays and Sundays) from 1 to 5pm at:

Valet D'coeur
4408 St-Denis, Montreal
P.Que, Canada, H2J 2L1
Phone: (514) 499-9970 (Country code Canada)
Toll free US & Canada: 1-888-499-JEUX (1-888-499-5389)
http://levalet.com/

I doubt there's other «Quebecois» here bur hey it's worth a try.

Return to “DCC RPG General”