TSR's Hollow World

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Karaptis
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

TSR's Hollow World

Post by Karaptis »

I saw this at the local comic/gaming store. Has anyone had any experience with this and if so would it fit good with DCC RPG?
Machpants
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Re: TSR's Hollow World

Post by Machpants »

Mmm it is a hodge podge of cultures inside the DnD known world, with an ever burning 'sun' in the middle. All the cultures have been transported there by immortals 'for posterity'. There is a way they stop the cultures mixing but I can't remember how? As to using in DCC I think a funnel from the 'normal' outer world through a dungeon via portal into this world of bizarre cultures and creatures would be great. You could make the outside world very much like IRL, magic only myth and rumour, though fully believed in. Then they find themselves in a place where they can use magic from these strange creatures....

Oh how are we to get home to our families? And when we are back are we still going to have powers that can make us rulers of the world!
LAST OF THE F3W
Gloria Finis
Karaptis
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Karaptis »

Machpants wrote:Mmm it is a hodge podge of cultures inside the DnD known world, with an ever burning 'sun' in the middle. All the cultures have been transported there by immortals 'for posterity'. There is a way they stop the cultures mixing but I can't remember how? As to using in DCC I think a funnel from the 'normal' outer world through a dungeon via portal into this world of bizarre cultures and creatures would be great. You could make the outside world very much like IRL, magic only myth and rumour, though fully believed in. Then they find themselves in a place where they can use magic from these strange creatures....

Oh how are we to get home to our families? And when we are back are we still going to have powers that can make us rulers of the world!
I was totally thinking this to the letter! Even the "real life' 0 lvls going into this Hollow World. If you work for TSR (does wizards even use the old logo?), tell them you want a raise! SOLD!
ctaylor
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by ctaylor »

We played a two or three year campaign of Hollow World back in the day. It was an interesting setting, but hodge podge is a good description. I didn't get the impression that the setting really took advantage of the concept.

However, it fits pretty well with the DCC mythos.

Shucks, now I'll have to read the boxed set again... ^_^
Karaptis
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Karaptis »

Already "modernizing" the occupation table for 2012 characters to get sucked into the Hollow World as we speak.
jmucchiello
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by jmucchiello »

And don't forget to read the original "Pelucidar" stories by Edgar Rice Boroughs for inspiration.
blindelf
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by blindelf »

I think I had a Hollow World box set back in the day, does that sound
right? One of various settings I bought because I liked the concept
but never played. Would work really well with DCC RPG I think.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

Karaptis wrote:Already "modernizing" the occupation table for 2012 characters to get sucked into the Hollow World as we speak.
And you'll be posting them here soon, we hope! 8)
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

jmucchiello wrote:And don't forget to read the original "Pelucidar" stories by Edgar Rice Boroughs for inspiration.
+1 Not only are they great fiction, but they were a huge inspriation for the Hollow World products.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Karaptis
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Karaptis »

jmucchiello wrote:And don't forget to read the original "Pelucidar" stories by Edgar Rice Boroughs for inspiration.
That author was so ahead of his time! I never read Pelucidar but had the joy of all of the John Carter and Tarzan books.
Karaptis
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Karaptis »

finarvyn wrote:
Karaptis wrote:Already "modernizing" the occupation table for 2012 characters to get sucked into the Hollow World as we speak.
And you'll be posting them here soon, we hope! 8)
Some may be silly and reflect the times we now live in. Please take them lightly and if anyone has an occupation, feel free to chime in.
jmucchiello
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by jmucchiello »

Karaptis wrote:
That author was so ahead of his time! I never read Pelucidar but had the joy of all of the John Carter and Tarzan books.
At the Earth's Core was actually the first ERB novel I read, borrowed from a family friend who soon after moved away. Then I ran across a collection of Tarzan, Mars, Pelucidar and Moon Maid books that I snapped up from a library sale for a quarter a piece before I ever owned the 1e DMG. I often wonder how many other App N books were at that library sale that I didn't know about.
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

Karaptis wrote:Some may be silly and reflect the times we now live in. Please take them lightly and if anyone has an occupation, feel free to chime in.
Give us a few examples of the sillier ones and I'll see what I can do to...uhh...."help."

(Do you have Chaosium's infamous "tribal fisherman" occupation?)

Return to “DCC RPG General”