Free RPG Day?

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Free RPG Day?

Post by Raven_Crowking »

I volunteered to run a DCC RPG game for Free RPG Day this year, and I agreed to run whatever materials are provided. Ideally, I'd like to run through the adventure at least once with my home group prior to running it in public (at Dueling Grounds in Toronto, if anyone is interested, at noon). Any chance of a PM giving me some idea of what I'll be running, or at least level, so that I can bone up on anything relevant?

Also, I've offered to run a second event later in the day, so if there is anything anyone would like me to run, I'm open to that. Otherwise, I will prepare something diabolical myself! :evil:

I am very much looking forward to doing this in June!

:mrgreen:
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Karaptis
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Re: Free RPG Day?

Post by Karaptis »

I have a store at the end of my street that I have been going to for almost 30 years. He doesnt carry RPGs like he use to, he is mostly a comic store. How do I get him into free RPG day?
Karaptis
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Karaptis »

I have a store at the end of my street that I have been going to for almost 30 years. He doesnt carry RPGs like he use to, he is mostly a comic store. How do I get him into free RPG day?
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

@ Raven, I'll drop you an email. Perhaps Joseph can help out.

@ Keraptis, it might be too late. They make up a finite number boxes, depending on the number of stores participating.

I checked the site:

http://www.freerpgday.com/retailers.htm

It looks like they are "sold" out of boxes. :(

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
michaelcurtis
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by michaelcurtis »

You're in for a treat this year. Harley and I cooked up a pair of diabolical adventures. There's more, but Joseph will let everyone know about that when the stars, I mean, the time is right.
Scrivener of strange tales, part-time madman, and odd word aficionado.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Harley Stroh wrote:@ Raven, I'll drop you an email. Perhaps Joseph can help out.
Thank you!

dbishop at danieljbishop dot ca.

@michaelcurtis, Crom may be uncaring, but He perked up his ears at your post.

RC
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
DimitriX
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by DimitriX »

I would also be interested in running a DCC RPG event at my game store in Austin, TX. Can I get support from Goodman Games? Should I give you the info about the game store or work with you guys directly?
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

DimitriX wrote:I would also be interested in running a DCC RPG event at my game store in Austin, TX. Can I get support from Goodman Games? Should I give you the info about the game store or work with you guys directly?
I was asked to run the game when I was in the store pre-ordering. I think the normal protocol is to go through the venue....but I could be wrong.
SoBH pbp:

Karaptis
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Karaptis »

Harley Stroh wrote:@ Raven, I'll drop you an email. Perhaps Joseph can help out.

@ Keraptis, it might be too late. They make up a finite number boxes, depending on the number of stores participating.

I checked the site:

http://www.freerpgday.com/retailers.htm

It looks like they are "sold" out of boxes. :(

//H
GRRRRRR! Western New York sucks! I suppose none of the intellectual giants that sell gaming products in this wasteland articipate!
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Raven_Crowking wrote:
DimitriX wrote:I would also be interested in running a DCC RPG event at my game store in Austin, TX. Can I get support from Goodman Games? Should I give you the info about the game store or work with you guys directly?
I was asked to run the game when I was in the store pre-ordering. I think the normal protocol is to go through the venue....but I could be wrong.
Please coordinate location and scheduling with your FLGS. Joseph has asked me and Mike to cook up some pregens for your tables that will be available as downloads.

Mike, can you think of any goodies that might help with folks running your adventure?

(I still owe you an email, Raven. Thank you for your patience.)

//H

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Harley Stroh wrote:Mike, can you think of any goodies that might help with folks running your adventure?
(Crosses fingers)

......Say a DCC beer stein, Mike, say a DCC beer stein....

:lol:
(I still owe you an email, Raven. Thank you for your patience.)
No problem.
SoBH pbp:

DimitriX
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by DimitriX »

If I had my druthers (and if I even knew what a druther is), then I would like a quickie 0-level character funnel that I could run about 4-5 people through at a time. Hopefully something that would take no more than 2 hours to complete. This way I could get a group of people to create a set of 0 level characters and watch them run through the funnel. I like the hook at the end of adventure from the Free RPG day last year because it did a good job of making me want more. At the end of just reading the adventure, I wanted to know more about the patron that appeared in the crystal ball. I wanted to see the adventure of getting the wood from the dryad's tree, and I wanted to see what happened when the wood was burned in the brazier. I think this will get people wanting to buy the game and try out more.
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Off topic, thanks for the cool post over on ENworld, DmitriX! Poetic, *and* pertinent. Thank you!

//H

DimitriX
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by DimitriX »

No problem! I really like DCC RPG so I'm eager to sing its praises.
Aplus
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Aplus »

I ran Matt Finch's Pod-Caverns of the Sinister Shroom using DCC Beta last year, and we had a blast. I'll probably do it again this year. At this point I'm leaning towards The Ghost Tower of Inverness, but who knows where I'll end up. I have big time ADD with game stuff!

(I like to run something other than the free adventure so it remains something new for those that pick it up.)
Check out my DCC Resources Page for cool stuff!
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

The easiest thing is to grab some sort of "old school" module and just go with it.

You might try last year's freebie for Free RPG day since it's designed to be a quick one-shot, but there is always the risk that some potential player has already read it.

You could also look for an old issue of Dragon magazine (or a PDF of same) since they often had short modules written for AD&D or 2E. Many of those modules are quick and newbies probably wouldn't have seen them. If you have access to old Judges Guild Journal magazines (somewhere around issue #13) they had a whole bunch of entries for a dungeon contest and they are often designed to be run in a short time-span.

Another resource could be looking for a "one-page dungeon" online. I often see online contests where folks submit an adventure to fit on a single page, and such things are great for a demo game (although they often lack some of the depth of description found in DCC).

Probably others, but those are the top few that pop into my head.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman

Return to “DCC RPG General”