You Might Be Interested

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

User avatar
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
Posts: 2964
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:41 am

You Might Be Interested

Post by Raven_Crowking » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:34 pm

Having a better look at the DCC RPG Core Rulebook, I have given a lot of consideration of what constitutes a great starting adventure. My thoughts are here, and I would appreciate some feedback:

http://ravencrowking.blogspot.ca/2012/0 ... ngeon.html
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.

Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal
Posts: 1804
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 4:02 am
Location: On the run.
Contact:

Re: You Might Be Interested

Post by Harley Stroh » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:14 pm

Incredibly thorough post, Raven. There's a lot to chew on in there.

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.

User avatar
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
Posts: 2964
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:41 am

Re: You Might Be Interested

Post by Raven_Crowking » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:24 pm

Harley Stroh wrote:Incredibly thorough post, Raven. There's a lot to chew on in there.

//H
Thanks!

I am now in the process of putting theory into action, and am working on an introductory DCC RPG adventure that may well end with me asking to see the 3pp license. Or just submit it to one of the many fine 3pp already signed up with the game. There are a lot of upcoming materials I am very interested in, both the GG modules and the 3pp modules coming up. The more I delve into this game, the more it exceeds my expectations.

RC
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.

User avatar
Coleston the Cavalier
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
Posts: 169
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:15 pm
Contact:

Re: You Might Be Interested

Post by Coleston the Cavalier » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:14 pm

Raven_Crowking wrote:
Harley Stroh wrote:Incredibly thorough post, Raven. There's a lot to chew on in there.

//H
Thanks!

I am now in the process of putting theory into action, and am working on an introductory DCC RPG adventure that may well end with me asking to see the 3pp license. Or just submit it to one of the many fine 3pp already signed up with the game. There are a lot of upcoming materials I am very interested in, both the GG modules and the 3pp modules coming up. The more I delve into this game, the more it exceeds my expectations.

RC
If you do go the 3pp route, shoot me an email and I can get your DCC RPG material into game stores. If not, I would be interested in publishing your material.
John Adams

User avatar
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
Posts: 2964
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:41 am

Re: You Might Be Interested

Post by Raven_Crowking » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:53 am

Coleston the Cavalier wrote:If you do go the 3pp route, shoot me an email and I can get your DCC RPG material into game stores. If not, I would be interested in publishing your material.
I would be interested. I am not sure what your email is, but mine is dbishop at danieljbishop dot ca.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.

User avatar
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
Posts: 2964
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:41 am

Re: You Might Be Interested

Post by Raven_Crowking » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:59 am

One really great thing about Appendix N gaming is the way it frees one's creativity! Trying to meet the goals of my blog post, I have begum work on what I call "When Cowled Men Creep", and I believe that it will be, by far, the best (and most insidious) introductory adventure I've ever run.
Last edited by Raven_Crowking on Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.

Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal
Posts: 1804
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 4:02 am
Location: On the run.
Contact:

Re: You Might Be Interested

Post by Harley Stroh » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:06 pm

Preach it. A world of possibilities open up.

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.

User avatar
Coleston the Cavalier
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
Posts: 169
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:15 pm
Contact:

Re: You Might Be Interested

Post by Coleston the Cavalier » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:44 pm

John Adams

User avatar
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
Posts: 2964
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:41 am

When Cowled Men Creep

Post by Raven_Crowking » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:58 am

In the isolated village of Pines Landing, some say that the Cowled Men come every generation. Others claim that the Cowled Men have never been seen before. Either way, folk are disappearing from their homes. Those who are taken are never seen again, and most of their names are quickly forgotten.

The would-be wizard, Manthus Elmarik, was one of the first to disappear. Some say he woke something unnatural. Others claim that emissaries must be sent through the Grimwald Forest to Castle Anwir, to beg protection from the Liege Lord who dwells there.

Only two things are certain: That something must be done, and that those who dwell in Pines Landing must do it.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.

DimitriX
Wild-Eyed Zealot
Posts: 73
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 5:54 am

Re: You Might Be Interested

Post by DimitriX » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:58 pm

I really like you blog post. It begins to address one of the problems I've been having with going from 0th to 1st levels: how does one become a wizard? Clerics are easier. They just have to have some kind of interaction with a deity and can have a miraculous conversion in which they are bestowed clerical powers. This fits into the idea of luck, destiny, and fate.

But, wizards are supposed to have studied and worked for years to learn and master spells. How does one go from a cobbler to a wizard? It is possible that you could have the character infused with arcane energy and knowledge that gives him a starting place with spells, but then he is on his own. Perhaps it is a tease given out by a powerful entity that is hoping to entice a character into patronage. Crack dealers give away the first hit for free to get someone hooked. After that, "Bitches gotta pay." What other ideas do you have for taking someone from commoner to wizard?

User avatar
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock
Posts: 921
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:26 pm
Location: the Towers of Carcosa

Re: You Might Be Interested

Post by Ogrepuppy » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:36 pm

DimitriX wrote:After that, "Bitches gotta pay."
Ain't that the truth.

henis
Far-Sighted Wanderer
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:04 pm
Location: Fayetteville, AR

Re: You Might Be Interested

Post by henis » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:44 pm

DimitriX wrote:How does one go from a cobbler to a wizard? It is possible that you could have the character infused with arcane energy and knowledge that gives him a starting place with spells, but then he is on his own. Perhaps it is a tease given out by a powerful entity that is hoping to entice a character into patronage. Crack dealers give away the first hit for free to get someone hooked. After that, "Bitches gotta pay." What other ideas do you have for taking someone from commoner to wizard?
Maybe the level 0 characters that could become wizards come across "strange tablets", or mysterious writing in their funnel, then at the end of the funnel, if they survive they may discover that the strange tablets or writing are actually spells, which in turn become their level 1 spells. Or if they pick a patron, maybe the patron gives them the arcane knowledge of level 1 spells to get them hooked, their first free hook , then after that it's "you want a hit of power?", "You got to pay up", or go find me an artifact and i'll reward you.

SYKOJAK
Far-Sighted Wanderer
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:15 am

Re: You Might Be Interested

Post by SYKOJAK » Wed May 02, 2012 4:59 am

henis wrote:
DimitriX wrote:How does one go from a cobbler to a wizard? It is possible that you could have the character infused with arcane energy and knowledge that gives him a starting place with spells, but then he is on his own. Perhaps it is a tease given out by a powerful entity that is hoping to entice a character into patronage. Crack dealers give away the first hit for free to get someone hooked. After that, "Bitches gotta pay." What other ideas do you have for taking someone from commoner to wizard?
Maybe the level 0 characters that could become wizards come across "strange tablets", or mysterious writing in their funnel, then at the end of the funnel, if they survive they may discover that the strange tablets or writing are actually spells, which in turn become their level 1 spells. Or if they pick a patron, maybe the patron gives them the arcane knowledge of level 1 spells to get them hooked, their first free hook , then after that it's "you want a hit of power?", "You got to pay up", or go find me an artifact and i'll reward you.
In our funnel one of the non-surviving 0-level charaters was a Wizard's appretice. And by "wealth through attrition," he inheirited that other character's Black Grimoire. Being a learned man, (squire by occupation,) he decided to delve further into the mystical arts. He now seeks to collect all books of magical nature. The main one being the Necronomicon.
There comes a point in time when it all comes down to the roll of a die!

Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal
Posts: 1804
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 4:02 am
Location: On the run.
Contact:

Re: You Might Be Interested

Post by Harley Stroh » Wed May 02, 2012 7:03 am

SYKOJAK wrote:In our funnel one of the non-surviving 0-level charaters was a Wizard's appretice. And by "wealth through attrition," he inheirited that other character's Black Grimoire. Being a learned man, (squire by occupation,) he decided to delve further into the mystical arts. He now seeks to collect all books of magical nature. The main one being the Necronomicon.
That's awesome. A corrupted squire. Love it!

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.

User avatar
Ravenheart87
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer
Posts: 879
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:34 pm
Location: Győr, Hungary
Contact:

Re: You Might Be Interested

Post by Ravenheart87 » Wed May 02, 2012 7:10 am

Harley Stroh wrote:
SYKOJAK wrote:In our funnel one of the non-surviving 0-level charaters was a Wizard's appretice. And by "wealth through attrition," he inheirited that other character's Black Grimoire. Being a learned man, (squire by occupation,) he decided to delve further into the mystical arts. He now seeks to collect all books of magical nature. The main one being the Necronomicon.
That's awesome. A corrupted squire. Love it!

//H
I read "corrupted squirrel' at first glance.
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.

User avatar
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
Posts: 2964
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:41 am

Re: You Might Be Interested

Post by Raven_Crowking » Wed May 02, 2012 7:34 am

Ravenheart87 wrote:I read "corrupted squirrel' at first glance.
Sounds like a new monster to me.

(Or a new class.)
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.

Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal
Posts: 1804
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 4:02 am
Location: On the run.
Contact:

Re: You Might Be Interested

Post by Harley Stroh » Wed May 02, 2012 8:16 am

Raven_Crowking wrote:
Ravenheart87 wrote:I read "corrupted squirrel' at first glance.
Sounds like a new monster to me.

(Or a new class.)
Image
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.

User avatar
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
Posts: 3744
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:46 pm
FLGS: Bizarro World
Location: Left Coast, USA
Contact:

Re: You Might Be Interested

Post by GnomeBoy » Wed May 02, 2012 9:17 am

Harley Stroh wrote:
Image
Do you have Joseph's permission to post the preview of the cover to DCC 75?

And what was that title again...?
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com

Kuruz, Mendicant, N • AC 8, 4 hp • R-1, F0, W0 • S9 A8 S9 P11 I16 L8
Zend, Grave Digger, L • AC 9, 3 hp • R-1, F0, W1 • S14 A6 S9 P13 I13 L6
Mercer, Outlaw, N • AC 12, 2 hp • R0, F-1, W1 • S7 A9 S6 P13 I8 L13
Dejah, Ropemaker, C • AC 10, 2 hp • R0, F1, W-1 • S8 A12 S15 P7 I11 L7

User avatar
Ravenheart87
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer
Posts: 879
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:34 pm
Location: Győr, Hungary
Contact:

Re: You Might Be Interested

Post by Ravenheart87 » Wed May 02, 2012 9:30 am

GnomeBoy wrote: Do you have Joseph's permission to post the preview of the cover to DCC 75?

And what was that title again...?
The Doom That Came to Ashdown Forest.
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.

User avatar
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
Posts: 2964
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:41 am

Re: You Might Be Interested

Post by Raven_Crowking » Wed May 02, 2012 9:36 am

GnomeBoy wrote:Do you have Joseph's permission to post the preview of the cover to DCC 75?

And what was that title again...?
"I Like Squirrels"

Image
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.

User avatar
Karaptis
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
Posts: 411
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:24 pm
Location: The end of time.

Re: You Might Be Interested

Post by Karaptis » Wed May 02, 2012 1:20 pm

Our party back in the 80s had a cleric who's hammer was only magical vs Squirrels (0/+5 vs squirrels). Half of the time he was looking for any monster or villain related to squirrels.

User avatar
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
Posts: 2964
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:41 am

Re: You Might Be Interested

Post by Raven_Crowking » Tue May 15, 2012 6:20 am

New blog post, having read all of the Core Rulebook (excepting all of the possible table results!)

http://ravencrowking.blogspot.ca/2012/0 ... -love.html
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.

Renshai
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
Posts: 173
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:51 pm

Re: You Might Be Interested

Post by Renshai » Tue May 15, 2012 7:07 am

Incredibly insightful article, thank you for sharing that.
Life is cruel, in the tarnished jewel...
--Old Thom, Smoke, Punjar

Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal
Posts: 1804
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 4:02 am
Location: On the run.
Contact:

Re: You Might Be Interested

Post by Harley Stroh » Tue May 15, 2012 3:48 pm

Thank you, Raven! That's quite the endorsement.

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.

User avatar
Scott Kellogg
Wild-Eyed Zealot
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:24 am
Location: Bloomington, IN
Contact:

Re: You Might Be Interested

Post by Scott Kellogg » Tue May 15, 2012 4:25 pm

RC brings up a great point about getting newbs from 0 to first level. I had imagined that we'd retcon or come up with some tidy background on the spot, depending on which 0 level characters lived. I think that the play is more important than the background, although verisimilitude is desirable. I read somewhere that "backstory is something that you have at 10th level". In DCC, I suppose that would be 5th level. My intuition tells me that it's a good idea not to become too attached to fledgling DCC characters.

I'm committed to running DCC for a while, and I'm interested to see how the dynamics unfold over time. I have one group that I'll write original material for which will meet a couple of times a month. A different group will infrequently play published DCC RPG modules as they come out. Everybody and their dog seems to have a blog, but I'm strangely drawn to publicly documenting how my DCC RPG experience plays out. We'll see.

Post Reply

Return to “DCC RPG General”