Definition

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

DimitriX
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Definition

Post by DimitriX »

schadenfreude (scha·den·freu·de)

Noun: enjoyment obtained from the troubles of others

DimitriX expressed schadenfreude at WotC's inability to release to their playtest materials without stupid technological failures.
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Re: Definition

Post by Ravenheart87 »

So, it makes you happy that some people couldn't download some documents they've been waiting for for months? That's very kind of you.
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
DimitriX
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by DimitriX »

Well, I was one of them...and I still can't access them. I eventually just gave up.
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

At the risk of sounding like a real dick....why post this here? This is the DCC RPG section of the boards.

Y'know, where we talk about things that are significant to the DCC RPG. :wink:
DimitriX
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by DimitriX »

Well I just thought it was kind of funny and thought I would share.

In a larger context, this incident with WotC has helped solidified why I love Goodman Games. When Goodman Games wanted to get people involved in an open playtest of DCC RPG, they just set up a simple link to download the pdf of their book and a forum where people could post their comments. (I don't remember, but I think that was the same process that Paizo used to deveop Pathfinder.) There was no need for convoluted download process or signing any forms that you won't release the documents that any can access by simply signing up.

I think this is another reason why I consider DCC RPG to be my D&D. I think WotC is too big and they come up with overly complicated answers to questions. Their design process is too marketed and too focused grouped. I love the image of Joseph Goodman gaming in the desert with friends and developing the idea for DCC RPG. That puts a lot of heart into the game and I think that's part of why people are responding to the game like they are.

That all said, if any moderator thinks this thread is out of bounds, then please close it down. It won't hurt my feelings. I probably should just get over my dislike of WotC. (But, I REALLY don't like WotC.)
onearmspence
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by onearmspence »

I manage to dowload the playtest files today.

I must admit I like what I see on the documents. :)

The next edition of D&D may rock!... if it wasnt for the planned obsolecense on WotC's D&D editions :(
Scribble
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Scribble »

The playtest materials look really nice from what I've read so far.
funkaoshi
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by funkaoshi »

Yeah, the play test rules are pretty good. It's a much simpler game. I think it's a nice change from 4E, and probably a better successor to 3E than 4E was. (I play 4E now, and I think it's fine, but it's definitely the odd edition out when it comes to D&D.)
Karaptis
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Karaptis »

But it's too late baby, IT'S TOO LATE.....
caveman
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by caveman »

Its really similar to DCC. The advantage/disadvantage thing is similar to the Dice Chain, healing according to hit dice... undefined skill list. I think it looks a lot better too, but today I had a choice of what to play, and I chose DCC... and really wished I had an index...
meinvt
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by meinvt »

I've read all the D&D Next materials, haven't tried it yet. A few broad comments relative to DCC:

While both games have a hint of the "return to 'old school'", they are quite different in tone and there is definitely a place for both.

Both games have good advice to the GM about setting the tone, and are written in a more useful and interesting voice than anything after AD&D in my opinion.

The mechanical feel of DCC and D&D Next is very different. I don't think they compare in that many meaningful ways.

DCC is clearly inspired by early D&D but goes its own way. D&D Next clearly borrows elements from every edition of D&D as well as adding a few new ones. The difference between inspiration and derivation is pretty obvious to me.

Based on what I see so far, I'd play either one depending on the experience I'm looking for. DCC for mysterious, dark and twisted adventures, D&D Next for the classic heroes journey.

To sum up:

In DCC through random chance you may be playing a gong farmer who became a Warrior always looking for your next meal. In D&D Next you may choose to become a Knight so that you and your companions are properly provided with food and drink wherever you are at a place where nobility is recognized.
caveman
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by caveman »

Totally. DCC has a different vibe. Especially in terms of how you make a character. However, I think they have alot more in common with each other than with Type IV. One of the happiest things I noticed is that the new monster stats are perfectly compatible with DCC.
Also, I agree that the tone is finally readable again. Goodman also scratched that itch, as DCC is totally fun to read. (I remember being so bummed on the 1st page of the 3e PHB, when there was no narrative description of play and the text was all dry.)
Karaptis
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Karaptis »

I cannot understand why Hasbro doesn't just release a reprint of the old ODnD boxed set... Oh that's right because some exec in a boardroom is more concerned about making electronic Battleship! Screw Hasbro!

Return to “DCC RPG General”