Stomp the typo / Errata & FAQ

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

michaelcurtis
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Re: Stomp the typo!

Post by michaelcurtis »

I seemed to have left out the duration for the spell check 14-17 effect of "Force Manipulation." Unless Joseph says otherwise, assume the disk lasts for 1d6 + CL turns.
Scrivener of strange tales, part-time madman, and odd word aficionado.
Thane
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Thane »

Thane wrote:Page 36

Read languages: Interpreting simple meaning requires a DC 15 check. Interpreting anything more detailed is DC 20.

Is it really DC 15, or should it be DC 5?
Bump.
"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it". ~ Voltaire
shadewest
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by shadewest »

Thane wrote:
Thane wrote:Page 36

Read languages: Interpreting simple meaning requires a DC 15 check. Interpreting anything more detailed is DC 20.

Is it really DC 15, or should it be DC 5?
Bump.
You're trying to glean meaning from a language you don't actually know. DC 15 is appropriate.

For instance, I speak French. I can kind of read Spanish and Italian because of that, but I get lost easily and can miss things like idioms.
...unless the judge rules otherwise.

Steven Thivierge
Playtester and additional design for:DCC RPG.
romprecentor
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by romprecentor »

Page 149 Patron Bond table, no listing for 24-27 on the table.
-Adananx the Awesome.

http://www.epicwords.com/campaigns/2077

Pbp Secret of Bone Hill characters:
Portly Trim, Cleric 1st (Barber) L, AC: 11, Str 10, Agi 11, Stm 8(-1), Per 11, Int 8(-1), Lck 12, hp 5, 21 cp, Razor, 2 x torches, large sack, scissors, candle, Improvised wooden buckler.
Fritz, Thief 1st, (Wainwright) C, AC: 10, Str 9, Agi 12, Stm 10, Per 16(+2), Int 12, Lck 13(+1), hp 5, 7 cp, club, flint & steel, lg sack(tomatoes), flask(water), black book, crowbar.
claytonian
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by claytonian »

kinda related: The PDF seems to lack table of contents entries for the Ghost. I don't mean not written on a table of contents page, but missing from the bookmarks menu or whatever it's called.
romprecentor
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by romprecentor »

Minor typo page 149:

14-17. ...mark of the patron on is hand.... Should read " on his hand"
-Adananx the Awesome.

http://www.epicwords.com/campaigns/2077

Pbp Secret of Bone Hill characters:
Portly Trim, Cleric 1st (Barber) L, AC: 11, Str 10, Agi 11, Stm 8(-1), Per 11, Int 8(-1), Lck 12, hp 5, 21 cp, Razor, 2 x torches, large sack, scissors, candle, Improvised wooden buckler.
Fritz, Thief 1st, (Wainwright) C, AC: 10, Str 9, Agi 12, Stm 10, Per 16(+2), Int 12, Lck 13(+1), hp 5, 7 cp, club, flint & steel, lg sack(tomatoes), flask(water), black book, crowbar.
Aplus
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Aplus »

I'm not sure if this is a typo or not, but it sticks out.

On page 71, Table 3-1: Weapons
The garrote damage is listed as "1/3d4"

I just wanted to verify that it is correct, since no other weapons do only 1 point of damage, so it looks suspect.

Another one... I hope these aren't devolving into annoying rules questions.

Page 78, Table 4-1: Attack Roll Modifiers
Missile fire penalties are listed as -2 for medium range and -1d for long range.

Just wondering about this one because the averages for -2 and -1d are the same (in most cases)
1d20-2: Avg = 8.5
1d16: Avg = 8.5
Maybe the penalties are supposed to stack? Or maybe I'm just looking at these things too closely and need to get over it and move on.

The good news is that I'm coming across these as a result of updating my Reference Sheets document, so hopefully I'll have something for you guys soon!
Check out my DCC Resources Page for cool stuff!
TheNobleDrake
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by TheNobleDrake »

Aplus wrote:I'm not sure if this is a typo or not, but it sticks out.

On page 71, Table 3-1: Weapons

I just wanted to verify that it is correct, since no other weapons do only 1 point of damage, so it looks suspect.

Another one... I hope these aren't devolving into annoying rules questions.

Page 78, Table 4-1: Attack Roll Modifiers
Missile fire penalties are listed as -2 for medium range and -1d for long range.

Just wondering about this one because the averages for -2 and -1d are the same (in most cases)
1d20-2: Avg = 8.5
1d16: Avg = 8.5
Maybe the penalties are supposed to stack? Or maybe I'm just looking at these things too closely and need to get over it and move on.

The good news is that I'm coming across these as a result of updating my Reference Sheets document, so hopefully I'll have something for you guys soon!
There is a pretty significant difference you have missed:

Fumble chance: 1d20-2 has a 5% fumble chance, 1d16 has a 6.25% fumble chance
Critical chance: 1d20-2 has a 5% (or higher in the case of warriors) critical chance, 1d16 has a 0% critical chance in all range weapon cases that I have seen as of yet.

Also, it doesn't matter that the averages are the same if you have no other modifiers to your roll and are trying to hit a 17 or higher AC.
reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

Page 364 Magic Staff references a 2nd-level spell called Magic Staff, it's actually Wizard's Staff (pg. 199.)

(also note that Magic Wand & Magic Rod aren't in the core book.)
Reverend Dakota Jesus Ultimak, S.S.M.o.t.S.M.S., D.M.

(Dungeon) Master In Chief of Crawl! fanzine. - http://www.crawlfanzine.com/

"[...] there is no doubt that Dungeons and Dragons and its imitators are right out of the pit of hell." - William Schnoebelen, Straight talk on Dungeons & Dragons
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Aplus wrote:On page 71, Table 3-1: Weapons

That one is correct -- a garrote isn't particularly effective except in a sneak-attack, in which case it's very effective!
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Aplus
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Aplus »

On page 90, the first result in the Trips and Throws table states:
The warrior can knock an enemy off-balance. The enemy gets a Ref save against the warrior’s attack roll. Failure means the enemy is knocked prone and must spend its next attack action standing up. Remember that melee attacks against a prone opponent receive a +4 bonus.
This conflicts with the attack modifiers table on page 78, which lists the bonus against a prone enemy as +2.
Aplus
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Aplus »

Crit Table G: Giants (page 389) under entry for 9:
must spend his next activation to stand
should be action
giant
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by giant »

In table 1-1, characters with 18 intelligence can cast 6th level spells.

Unless of course this is foreshadowing . . . .
shadewest
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by shadewest »

Aplus wrote:Crit Table G: Giants (page 389) under entry for 9:
must spend his next activation to stand
should be action
That means all actions the next round, in case some payers have multiple action dice, which they should by the time they're ready to face giants!
...unless the judge rules otherwise.

Steven Thivierge
Playtester and additional design for:DCC RPG.
Colin

Post by Colin »

Some very minor ones:

Page 22
Dwarven Mushroom-Farmer: Shovel should have (as staff) after it.
Dwarven Stonemason: Hammer should have (as club) after it.
Elven Glassblower: Hammer should have (as club) after it.
Elven Navigator: Bow should be Shortbow.

cheers!
Colin
Colin

Post by Colin »

Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG – Rules Errata (05/28/12)

Page 22, Occupations

Dwarven Mushroom-Farmer: Shovel should have (as staff) after it.
Dwarven Stonemason: Hammer should have (as club) after it.
Elven Glassblower: Hammer should have (as club) after it.
Elven Navigator: Bow should be Shortbow.

Page 36, Cast spell from scroll
Change the last sentence to:
The thief does apply Intelligence (but not Personality) modifiers to his roll, but may not attempt spellburn.

Page 42, Warrior, Weapon Training
Add Flail and Lance to the warrior's weapon training list.

Page 56, Elf, Weapon Training
Add Lance to the elf's weapon training list.

Page 77, Actions Example
"A 4th-level warrior with action dice of d20+d16..." should be "A 6th-level warrior with action dice of d20+d16..."

Page 90, Trips and Throws, result 3
+4 bonus should be +2 bonus.

Page 129, Animal Summoning, Manifestation
Roll 1d6 should be Roll 1d4.

Page 137, Ekim's Mystical Mask, Misfire
Roll 1d5 should be Roll 1d4.

Page 143, Force Manipulation Table
The duration for 14-17 is missing. It is 1d6+CL turns.

Page 149, Patron Bond Table
Results 24-27 are missing. These are:
When cast on self: The caster is considered an important person in his patron’s plans. He forms an agreement with his patron and is marked as one in the patron’s service. The caster learns the spell invoke patron as it relates to his patron and may cast it twice per day at a +1 bonus to the spell check. The patron also gives the caster a gift (for which a counter-gift is to be expected, of course). The gift is a single patron spell, selected from the patron’s spell list. The caster can cast this spell once per day in place of a casting of invoke patron. Each time he casts this patron spell or invoke patron, the caster is indebted to his patron, who will call in the debt at some point.

When cast on others: The caster forms a bond between his patron and the subject, who is very useful to the patron. The patron bestows a minor boon on the caster in the form of a +2 bonus on the next casting of invoke patron or a patron spell, and grants a minor boon to the subject in the form of a +1 bonus to his next action in the service of the patron. The subject receives a prominent mark of the patron on his hand or face, and may attempt a DC 16 Luck check once per month to ask a minor favor from the patron, which manifests in a non-magical manner. Each time such a Luck check is attempted there is a 1% cumulative chance that the patron asks for something in return. In addition, the patron sends followers to aid the subject’s natural actions. The followers consist of 1d4+1 warriors, each of level 1d3. All bear the mark of the patron. The warriors serve with absolute loyalty (no morale checks are ever required) and ask for nothing in return save adherence to the principles of the patron. The caster is viewed favorably for bringing more followers to his patron; for every 10 followers recruited and bonded, he receive a +1 bonus to future patron bond and invoke patron checks (max +5 bonus).

Page 364, Magic Staff
This references a 2nd-level spell called Magic Staff, it's actually Wizard's Staff (pg. 199).
Last edited by Colin on Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:01 am, edited 5 times in total.
Colin

Post by Colin »

Frequently Asked Questions (05/19/12)
Q: Are bugbears, goblins, hobgoblins, and troglodytes really supposed to be Lawful?

A: Yes.

Q: Is the number of Known Spells listed for wizards and elves a maximum or minimum?
A:
Known Spells is the maximum number of different spells that the character of that level can cast, modified by the Intelligence modifier (see page 18).
Patron bond and invoke patron count as a single spell; other patron spells aren't part of this "package deal" and count as their own individual spell slots.
Certain other circumstances may affect a wizard's known spells (e.g., the spell arcane affinity which is basically a mechanic for wizard specialization).
Rick
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: Gateway Games & More

Post by Rick »

Found a minor one in play today:

Page 129, Level 1 Wizard spell Animal Summoning -- Under Manifestation, it says "Roll 1d6", but there's only results for 1-4.

Obviously, it was easily resolved (I rolled a d4) and play marched on.

I looked for any similar errors and found one on page 137, Ekim's Mystical Mask -- Under Misfire it says "Roll 1d5" yet there's only results for 1-4.
Colin

Post by Colin »

Thanks, I updated my compiled errata above.

Colin
rabindranath72
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by rabindranath72 »

RADColin, are those errata "official"?

I spotted a few more problems:
1) p20 Demihumans are said to speak their racial tongue only if they have Int 8+, but elsewhere the text is not clear, and it seems they speak them automatically.

2) p32 Otyughs are mentioned in Turn Unholy, but I can't find any references.

3) Does the Thief getting the modifier to Intelligence mean that he can only cast Wizard spells?

4) p57 Luck: the wording is not appropriate, or the description is wrong since the Luck modifier can be negative (so after all those years of practicing, they still get the spell wrong?)

5) p.60 Halflings lack the Slow characteristic like Dwarves (as elsewhere it's mentioned they move 20'.)

6) p.61 Large part of the page is empty. Was something meant to be there?

7) Table 3-5 in the Equipment chapter: what's the purpose of the Weight column? No other equipment has weight listed, and the Barding refers to weight of normal sized armor which doesn't exist.

8) p.82 last entry of the table an Helm is mentioned, but there is none in the equipment lists, and it's not clear whether helms are part of armor or not. Not sure Helms are mentioned elsewhere.
Colin

Post by Colin »

rabindranath72 wrote:RADColin, are those errata "official"?
They are a compilation of Joseph's errata post at the start of this thread, as well as his responses (and one of Michael Curtis' r.e. the duration of Force Manipulation, which he wrote) in this and other threads.

Only the two I just added on 127 and 139 haven't been "officialized" yet.

Colin
rabindranath72
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by rabindranath72 »

Some other points needing clarification/correction

1) Mounted Combat. It's specified that trained characters get +2 to the roll, but there are already training rules, by which a trained character rolls d20, an untrained one rolls d10.

2) Undead are specified as being immune to hold. But there is no hold spell.
Dagonazrael
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Dagonazrael »

I have encountered some disagreement as to whether this is an error or not, but it is certainly not clear, so I will post here:

Do we track the change in luck bonuses for e.g. fumble modifier, when players burn and gain luck?

I know the luck bonus for special ability is fixed at level 0, and I thought this applied to all uses of luck, but then I read on p110 that for mercurial magic tables, you use wizard's luck modifier 'at the time the wizard learns the new spell...'
thogard
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by thogard »

Page 102, first paragraph. "Magnus rolls 15" should be "Athle rolls 15".
d(sqrt(-1))
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by d(sqrt(-1)) »

Warrior (p42) under Critical Hits seems to have some text missing. It says that at 1st to 3rd level a warrior scores a critical hit on a natural roll of 19-20. The threat increases to 17-20 at 9th level.
Apart from the missing information about levels 4-8, this doesn't really agree with the table on p44 which says that a Warrior has a threat range of 19-20 for levels 1-4 (well, except you could argue that 1-3 is a subset of 1-4 and hence still correct...). I assume that the table is correct here.

Return to “DCC RPG General”