Stomp the typo / Errata & FAQ

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Pesky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Re: Stomp the typo / Errata & FAQ

Post by Pesky »

john_lollard wrote:I think I found a misprint in the MM effects table. Result 00 says to roll 4d20 twice. I'm pretty sure this is supposed to be 5d20.
I think that "Roll again twice, but instead of rolling d%, roll 4d20 modified by the wizard’s Luck adjustment (in increments of 10%)" is intended; however, I'll check with Joseph to be sure. There are places in the book where patterns are intentionally broken, and ambiguities are maintained. This may be one of them. Of course, you are free to adjust as you see fit. If you feel that 00 should be better than 99, then perhaps change it to 4d20 + 20; this way you shift the mean out of the "No Effect" zone. I'll respond back here once I get an answer.
Terry Olson
Pesky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Pesky »

@jon_lollard, here is Joseph's response regarding 4d20, "It’s deliberate. It’s just a weird result…after all, it’s on a table about weird magic." With that being said, don't forget the rulebook's first admonition, "The judge is always right. Let the rules bend to you, not the other way around."
Terry Olson
Pesky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Pesky »

For those of us still finding typos, note that the Goodman Games website now has this official Stomp the Typo submission form (note the preceding text is a hyperlink). Posting here is still appreciated so that we can all be notified of the errors, but the website form is probably more efficient for notifying Goodman Games directly.
Terry Olson
seanskispeth
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: The Dreaming Comics & Games

Post by seanskispeth »

Re: the 7th printing. Is there anywhere that lists the changes from the 4th printing. I noticed the addition to pg. 106 which is pretty major:

"When your character casts a spell, you roll 1d20 and add your caster level, and apply your luck modifier. This is called a spell check. You also add your Personality modifier if you are a cleric or your Intelligence modifier if you are a wizard. Wizards also apply modifiers for wearing bulky armor [...], and there may be other modifiers specific to certain situations."

Has anyone noticed any other big changes with this printing? Also, does anyone play this way with adding the Luck mod for spell checks? Has this been added because of the Fleeting Luck rule from Lankhmar?
Pesky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Pesky »

seanskispeth wrote:Re: the 7th printing. Is there anywhere that lists the changes from the 4th printing. I noticed the addition to pg. 106 which is pretty major:

"When your character casts a spell, you roll 1d20 and add your caster level, and apply your luck modifier. This is called a spell check. You also add your Personality modifier if you are a cleric or your Intelligence modifier if you are a wizard. Wizards also apply modifiers for wearing bulky armor [...], and there may be other modifiers specific to certain situations."

Has anyone noticed any other big changes with this printing? Also, does anyone play this way with adding the Luck mod for spell checks? Has this been added because of the Fleeting Luck rule from Lankhmar?
There is not a published change log printing by printing. Regarding your citation, you'll find that it is contradicted (in that Luck is not part of the spell check) elsewhere in the rules. For example, on p. 28 of the 7th printing, "The spell check is made like any other check: roll1d20 + Personality modifier + caster level." Luck is not included. Sometimes there are contradictions that encourage the reader to "fear no rule" (see Admonitions on p. 314). I've found that most people do not include Luck with the spell check, unless a cleric is turning unholy. Regardless, play it how you like, but be careful in assuming it is "RAW." Hope that helps!
Terry Olson
seanskispeth
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: The Dreaming Comics & Games

Post by seanskispeth »

Pesky wrote:There is not a published change log printing by printing. Regarding your citation, you'll find that it is contradicted (in that Luck is not part of the spell check) elsewhere in the rules. For example, on p. 28 of the 7th printing, "The spell check is made like any other check: roll1d20 + Personality modifier + caster level." Luck is not included. Sometimes there are contradictions that encourage the reader to "fear no rule" (see Admonitions on p. 314). I've found that most people do not include Luck with the spell check, unless a cleric is turning unholy. Regardless, play it how you like, but be careful in assuming it is "RAW." Hope that helps!
Totally agree 100% about not being chained to RAW. I was more just curious about why it was added at all. I guess I'd like to understand the rationale before I decide it's not right for my table.
Vort
Wild-Eyed Zealot
FLGS: Shoebox Games / Eastridge Sports

Post by Vort »

Not sure if this is a typo, but it seems odd or I'm misinterpreting something. In DCC Lankhmar's "Compendium of Secret Knowledge", page 30, under "Black and White Magic" is the following:
Black magicians are more prone to horrible corruption and roll on the next higher corruption table when struck by casting misfortune. If the Greater Corruption Table is already being rolled on, the caster applies a -2 modifier to his die roll.
If the magicians are "MORE prone to horrible corruption", shouldn't the caster apply a +2 modifier (not minus) to the roll, as higher rolls are worse?
Trevor / Road Crew (Calgary)
---
Shaky, Gambler, N, AC 10, hp 1, S12 A9 S5-2 P9 I9 L9, r+0, f-2, w+0, club +0 (1d4)
Shifty, Smuggler, C, AC 11, hp 1, S9 A15+1 S5-2 P13+1 I8-1 L8-1, r+1, f-2, w+1, init+1, attack rolls -1, sling +0 (1d4)
The Illuminating Anhk, Elven Artisan, L, AC 10, hp 3, S11 A9 S9 P13+1 I10 L15+1, r+0, f+0, w+1, fumbles +1, staff +0 (1d4)
KIA Bailey Bramford, Beadle, L, AC 11, hp 1, S13+1 A13+1 S12 P5-2 I13+1 L11, r+1, f+0, w-2, init +1, staff +1 (1d4+1)
Pesky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Pesky »

I'm not certain of the original intent, but for the Nehwonian Greater Corruption (p. 28 of Compendium) there are still some vicious results for low rolls (results 1 and 5, for example). So, a -2 isn't necessarily welcome.
Terry Olson
Vort
Wild-Eyed Zealot
FLGS: Shoebox Games / Eastridge Sports

Post by Vort »

I'm not certain of the original intent, but for the Nehwonian Greater Corruption (p. 28 of Compendium) there are still some vicious results for low rolls (results 1 and 5, for example). So, a -2 isn't necessarily welcome.
Haha! You're right, most of the results aren't that welcoming! :D In the spirit of the corruption tables, higher usually seems worse, so that's why it seemed odd to me. But, maybe it's just my perception of the tables.
Trevor / Road Crew (Calgary)
---
Shaky, Gambler, N, AC 10, hp 1, S12 A9 S5-2 P9 I9 L9, r+0, f-2, w+0, club +0 (1d4)
Shifty, Smuggler, C, AC 11, hp 1, S9 A15+1 S5-2 P13+1 I8-1 L8-1, r+1, f-2, w+1, init+1, attack rolls -1, sling +0 (1d4)
The Illuminating Anhk, Elven Artisan, L, AC 10, hp 3, S11 A9 S9 P13+1 I10 L15+1, r+0, f+0, w+1, fumbles +1, staff +0 (1d4)
KIA Bailey Bramford, Beadle, L, AC 11, hp 1, S13+1 A13+1 S12 P5-2 I13+1 L11, r+1, f+0, w-2, init +1, staff +1 (1d4+1)
Tabarkus
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Bill & Ogre's Games

Post by Tabarkus »

Ok, this isn't really a typo but as a nurse irl it makes me cringe every time I see it and therefore am compelled to comment. In the Core Rulebook 5th printing result 17 on the Crit Table M: Monsters it reads: "PC's Achilles tendon is torn, snapping back into his thigh. The character's movement drops to 5' and the screaming can be heard for leagues."

While the screaming part is accurate, the Achilles tendon is connected to the calf muscles and therefore would snap back into his calf not his thigh. The quadriceps tendon is connected to the thigh and a tear there would result in a debilitating injury as well, with much screaming.

Thanks, now that I have that off my chest, I feel better about the current condition of the world!
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Tabarkus wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:48 am ...would snap back into his calf not his thigh.
Good call. I knew that was wrong, but never thought to point it out here!
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Pesky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Pesky »

Tabarkus wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:48 am Ok, this isn't really a typo but as a nurse irl it makes me cringe every time I see it and therefore am compelled to comment. In the Core Rulebook 5th printing result 17 on the Crit Table M: Monsters it reads: "PC's Achilles tendon is torn, snapping back into his thigh. The character's movement drops to 5' and the screaming can be heard for leagues."

While the screaming part is accurate, the Achilles tendon is connected to the calf muscles and therefore would snap back into his calf not his thigh. The quadriceps tendon is connected to the thigh and a tear there would result in a debilitating injury as well, with much screaming.

Thanks, now that I have that off my chest, I feel better about the current condition of the world!
Good call, @Tabarkus. If it isn’t too much trouble, could you please repost your comment in the “Stomp the Typo” online tool? Thanks!
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAI ... A/viewform
Terry Olson
serendipitous
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by serendipitous »

Core DCC book, pate 316, Table 7-2, "What is the price of spell knowledge?" for d10 result of 5:

"Marrying an ugly daughter." Should be "Marrying an ugly son/daughter."

Maybe if y'all had more cis women/gay dudes as test players or test judges you'd catch these? On the other hand, maybe half the writers & hordes of the test players are women & non-cis fellows and it still slips through. Nobody's perfect.

Anyhow, if you're being thorough, you might want to amend the result for 10 too: "Wearing hair in a topknot, in the custom of a rare sect of monks." Most cis female PCs aren't going to feel that wearing a topknot, aka bun, is much of a price to pay. Maybe instead:
"Shaving bottom half of head and wearing remaining hair in a topknot, in the custom of a rare sect of monks."
" ... the things I am going to say are true and I am a force for truth and goodness, dammit, and I will beat anyone unconscious if they say otherwise."
-- The Angry GM
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

serendipitous
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by serendipitous »

Thank you! haven't read your links, will do that now.
ETA: okay, sent it along Official Channels. Again: thanks.
" ... the things I am going to say are true and I am a force for truth and goodness, dammit, and I will beat anyone unconscious if they say otherwise."
-- The Angry GM
CapnZapp
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
FLGS: Book

Post by CapnZapp »

Pesky wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:09 pm Regarding your citation, you'll find that it is contradicted (in that Luck is not part of the spell check) elsewhere in the rules. For example, on p. 28 of the 7th printing, "The spell check is made like any other check: roll1d20 + Personality modifier + caster level." Luck is not included. Sometimes there are contradictions that encourage the reader to "fear no rule" (see Admonitions on p. 314). I've found that most people do not include Luck with the spell check, unless a cleric is turning unholy. Regardless, play it how you like, but be careful in assuming it is "RAW." Hope that helps!
These rules always refer to page 106 for the definition of a spell check. If you change the mechanism there (to include a new modifier) then it is natural to assume omissions elsewhere are simply just that, forgetful omissions.

Edit to remove obsolete passage.
Last edited by CapnZapp on Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

I hate to say it, but you'll find the reference to Luck is no longer a part of the book. It now says "and there may be other modifiers".

It really was meant to refer to the Luck modifier from the Birth Augur chart.

CapnZapp
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by CapnZapp »

GnomeBoy wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:17 am I hate to say it, but you'll find the reference to Luck is no longer a part of the book. It now says "and there may be other modifiers".

It really was meant to refer to the Luck modifier from the Birth Augur chart.
Ah, ok, so page 106 previously said (8th edition):

"When your character casts a spell, you roll 1d20 and add
your caster level, and apply your luck modifier. This is
called a spell check. You also add your Personality modifier
if you are a cleric or your Intelligence modifier if you are a
wizard.Wizards also apply modifiers for wearing bulky armor
(see Table 3-3), and there may be other modifiers specific
to certain situations."

...this has been changed since?

Or are you referring to some other page or definition?

Also please note that the section mentions the Wizard but not the Elf. As far as I understand it, if an Elf wears regular bulky armor, he too suffers armor penalty to spell checks.

Regardless - this is excellent GnomeBoy. Now I know :D
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Page 106. The misleading clarification was further clarified.

Rules that apply to Wizards, apply to Elves' magical shtuff.

CapnZapp
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by CapnZapp »

GnomeBoy wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:20 pm Page 106. The misleading clarification was further clarified.
I'm new here - can I ask my previous question more directly:

Is the 8th ed language (above, about the "Luck modifier" in a Spell Check) changed in the newest edition?
Rules that apply to Wizards, apply to Elves' magical shtuff.
Okay. Of course! Thanks for your speedy response
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

CapnZapp wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:25 am Is the 8th ed language (above, about the "Luck modifier" in a Spell Check) changed in the newest edition?
Yes. Page 106 has been changed.

CapnZapp
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by CapnZapp »

GnomeBoy wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:11 am
CapnZapp wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:25 am Is the 8th ed language (above, about the "Luck modifier" in a Spell Check) changed in the newest edition?
Yes. Page 106 has been changed.
Can I ask newbie questions?

Is this errata collated anywhere?

I have what I believe is called "8th printing" in softcover and PDF.

It appears it is the second to last printing, at least in softcover, per
https://goodman-games.com/blog/2020/12/ ... ulebook-2/

The cover picture is a sword-and-staff hero with a red mantle overlooking a chasm with a door shaped like a face on the far side. The reprint registry associates this picture with
1st hardcover printing, “blue” cover. Printed 2012, cover art by Doug Kovacs.
and then references this as
8th softcover printing, “blue” cover. Printed 2020. Although this is the 4th printing of the softcover, at this point the notation above the bar code on the back of the book was changed to read “8th printing” to provide uniformity with the hardcover. The contents are identical to the 8th hardcover printing, as described above.
Do you by "has been changed" mean the text is changed in the
8th softcover printing, “beastman” cover. Printed 2020.
Or do you refer to
8th hardcover printing, “Angry Hugh” cover.
Or what? Your terseness is really confusing.

Have a good day and again thank you for your quick response.
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

The 9th Printing has just been released (yesterday). The text is updated there.

The cover you describe with the figure seen from the back, looking toward a door with a face on it is the standard cover, seen on every print run from the first. So that cover alone will not tell anyone which printing they have -- it'd be above the bar code or sometimes inside on a banner in the illustration on the spread of pages 2-3.

The text in question which mentions adding "Luck modifier" to spellchecks, first appeared in the 4th printing, if memory serves. Now with the 9th printing, it has been excised, replaced with phrasing stating that other modifiers may also apply to spellchecks.

- - - -
Some of the above is there for future reference for folks who may be reading but not commenting or asking...
- - - -

CapnZapp
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by CapnZapp »

GnomeBoy wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:51 pm yesterday
:lol:

Okay, so I just timed it really badly then... Merry Christmas
rustleinthewoods
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Astral Games

Post by rustleinthewoods »

In the Ghoul entry in Cyclopedia of Creatures Monstrous and Mundane (pg 414 in 8th printing)…

paragraph 3 says, “A creature killed by a ghoul is usually eaten.”

but paragraph 4 says, “They do not eat, …”

Perhaps they do not have to eat, but do so out of fiendish compulsion? Or are they always followed by murders of crows that eat what they’ve killed?

Return to “DCC RPG General”