Zocchi Dice Buyer's Guide

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

mikepmarkey
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: Zocchi Dice Buyer's Guide

Post by mikepmarkey »

The current Ebay sale ends today. I hope everyone's been getting them quickly-- I've been trying to get them into the mail the same day if I can. Anything sold before about 2:00 EST should go in the mail today, and then anything that sells tonight will go the next morning morning.

I do like that skull dice bag :)
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

mikepmarkey wrote:The current Ebay sale ends today...
Got mine today! Great service and came with handy scratch paper for tracking hp, secret notes, etc.! :twisted:
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
SharkTank
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by SharkTank »

mikepmarkey wrote:Dice are back up.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320994331507
Another +1 for these dice sets. They are a little unevenly-sized as shown in previous pics, but good quality, priced more than fairly, well-packaged, and shipped promptly. Thanks Mike.
beatniktom
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by beatniktom »

haiiro wrote:BoardGameGeek is down or I'd point you there for feedback on CCG Armory, but the short version is: Be very wary of ordering from them. Horror stories far outnumber good experiences and more than outweigh their generally good prices.
I just ordered the limited edition gold foil book from them on their site. They charged me and then let me know it was out of stock and will issue a refund. Not exactly a horror story, but points to problems that support this opinion.
SavageRobby
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by SavageRobby »

beatniktom wrote:
haiiro wrote:BoardGameGeek is down or I'd point you there for feedback on CCG Armory, but the short version is: Be very wary of ordering from them. Horror stories far outnumber good experiences and more than outweigh their generally good prices.
I just ordered the limited edition gold foil book from them on their site. They charged me and then let me know it was out of stock and will issue a refund. Not exactly a horror story, but points to problems that support this opinion.
Wait to say that until you actually get the refund. Seriously.
mikepmarkey
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by mikepmarkey »

So the Ebay dice listing expired again. A friend of mine used to run a simple website just for selling custom game bits he had made using his laser cutter (formerly at http://www.bgtokens.com/shop), and he suggested I should do the same and not bother with listing a re-listing all the time. So, since he's much more web-savy than I and was offering to help, I figured why not?

So the same dice can be found here:
http://www.genomicgames.com/store/

...and that's all (at least for now). :lol:
darjr
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by darjr »

mikepmarkey wrote:So the Ebay dice listing expired again. A friend of mine used to run a simple website just for selling custom game bits he had made using his laser cutter (formerly at http://www.bgtokens.com/shop), and he suggested I should do the same and not bother with listing a re-listing all the time. So, since he's much more web-savy than I and was offering to help, I figured why not?

So the same dice can be found here:

...and that's all (at least for now). :lol:
I posted this to a site and someone tried to buy and got an error checking out of the store. I'll point him here.
Relaxo
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Relaxo »

mikepmarkey wrote: So the same dice can be found here:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's a great price, right?
and somehow I trust the symmetrical d5 and d7 better than the ones that have two odd faces (the triangle type d5 and pentagon d7). ((I'm sure they do roll true, but I just can't get over it))
cthulhudarren
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by cthulhudarren »

Out of stock! I really wish Goodman games would sell a set, preferably like this one.
mikepmarkey
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by mikepmarkey »

Oh my... I'll try to get some more but it might take a couple weeks. As to price, I just wanted to save people the trouble of trying to locate "odd" dice. Thanks for patience with the site-- my "webmaster" is visiting family in Africa and I'm doing my best....
cthulhudarren
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by cthulhudarren »

mikepmarkey wrote:Oh my... I'll try to get some more but it might take a couple weeks. As to price, I just wanted to save people the trouble of trying to locate "odd" dice. Thanks for patience with the site-- my "webmaster" is visiting family in Africa and I'm doing my best....
I do have one of your sets. This is my desired dice shapes. I wish we had smaller sizes and more color choices though!
mikepmarkey
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by mikepmarkey »

cthulhudarren wrote:I do have one of your sets. This is my desired dice shapes. I wish we had smaller sizes and more color choices though!
Will continue to check on that. I know there's other colors for some shapes, but not others-- particularly the d7/d14.
mikepmarkey
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by mikepmarkey »

OK, got some more up and added different different colors where I could get them.
http://www.genomicgames.com/store/c/1/dice
trigertas
Gongfarmer

Post by trigertas »

I don't see a way to add the set to your shopping cart
trigertas
Gongfarmer

Post by trigertas »

mikepmarkey wrote:OK, got some more up and added different different colors where I could get them.
I don't see a way to add these to the shopping cart.
mikepmarkey
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by mikepmarkey »

trigertas wrote:
mikepmarkey wrote:OK, got some more up and added different different colors where I could get them.
Dagnabit.... OK fixed. :oops:
cthulhudarren
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by cthulhudarren »

Nice!
sniderman
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by sniderman »

Anybody ever considered using Gamescience's d-Total?

http://www.gamescience.com/newproducts

All of your DCC dice on one cueball-sized, illegible sphere! (And I say this as an actual owner of one.)
mikepmarkey
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by mikepmarkey »

sniderman wrote:Anybody ever considered using Gamescience's d-Total?

All of your DCC dice on one cueball-sized, illegible sphere! (And I say this as an actual owner of one.)
:lol: I had the same impression of those. It may be illegible and hollow, but it sure is indecipherable.
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

sniderman wrote:Anybody ever considered using Gamescience's d-Total?

I would totally get and use one of those -- but my enigma machine broke down...
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

modemaus
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by modemaus »

mikepmarkey wrote:
trigertas wrote:
Dagnabit.... OK fixed. :oops:
Thank you, you sir, are a hero. I'm actually excited to never use anything but a d8, d10, and d12 again as per an earlier post but I don't expect my players to use m4th and still have fun, and I also am super excited about the huge d7 and d14!
modemaus
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by modemaus »

finarvyn wrote: Someone pointed out that you can even play DCC with only 3 dice total: d8, d10, and d12. :shock:
d3 = d12 divided by four
d4 = d8 divided by two -or- d12 divided by three
d5 = d10 divided by two
d6 = d12 divided by two
d7 = d8 re-roll 8's
d8 = standard
d10 = standard (I'm old and remember when it wasn't)
d12 = standard

d14 = same as d7 but with a control die (high is +7)
d16 = d8 with an control die (high is +8)
d20 = d10 with a control die (high is +10)
d24 = d12 with a control die (high is +12)
d30 = d10 with a control die (middle is +10, high is +20)
Just a bit confused for the d14, d16, d20, d24, d30 - what is meant by "control die" and the parts about "high is +X"?

Thanks!
TheNobleDrake
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by TheNobleDrake »

modemaus wrote: Just a bit confused for the d14, d16, d20, d24, d30 - what is meant by "control die" and the parts about "high is +X"?

Thanks!
Since the 3 dice is all dice thing was my little pet project, allow me to explain:

Control die refers to using a 2nd die of any type - in the case of a d14 you would be rolling a d8, re-rolling any 8s until they aren't 8, and rolling a 2nd die of any type... if that die rolls low, then 1-7 on the d8 refer to 1-7, if that die rolls high, you add 7 to the result showing on the d8 (so 1 is 8 and 7 is 14).

The "high is +X" parts simply refer to that process in shorthand.

If you have any further question about how you can use nothing more than 1d8, 1d10, and 1d12 with a little creativity to represent every die in DCC's dice chain - I'd be glad to answer, even repeat and rephrase answers.
modemaus
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by modemaus »

TheNobleDrake wrote: Control die refers to using a 2nd die of any type - in the case of a d14 you would be rolling a d8, re-rolling any 8s until they aren't 8, and rolling a 2nd die of any type... if that die rolls low, then 1-7 on the d8 refer to 1-7, if that die rolls high, you add 7 to the result showing on the d8 (so 1 is 8 and 7 is 14).

The "high is +X" parts simply refer to that process in shorthand.

If you have any further question about how you can use nothing more than 1d8, 1d10, and 1d12 with a little creativity to represent every die in DCC's dice chain - I'd be glad to answer, even repeat and rephrase answers.
Got it! I think it was unclear about whether the "8 is high" applied to the control die or the primary die, and also unclear about what kind of die to use as control die. Would be great if instead use a d2 (6-sided with 3 labels of 1, 3 labels of 2) as the control die this way you could just multiply primary die by control die. But then you increase the amount of die you have to use to 4 though, so, maybe not =)
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

modemaus wrote:Got it! I think it was unclear about whether the "8 is high" applied to the control die or the primary die, and also unclear about what kind of die to use as control die. Would be great if instead use a d2 (6-sided with 3 labels of 1, 3 labels of 2) as the control die this way you could just multiply primary die by control die. But then you increase the amount of die you have to use to 4 though, so, maybe not =)
Ah, yes, but multiplying is not how it works. To wit:

2x1=2
2x2=4
2x3=6
etc

So your suggested multiplying, with a d8 would give a range of results like: 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 4, 5, 6, 6, 7, 8, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16. (Might be useful for something, I suppose.)

...instead of...
high control die result (with a d8 as the base die)
1=9 (8+1)
2=10 (8+2)
3=11 (8+3)
etc

The control die and base die together are giving you a linear range of 1 to (double the base die's maximum result).

And control dice aren't limited to doubling the range of the base die -- percentiles are essentially a control die situation. You can also do things like generating a range of 1-48 with a d12 and a control die of a d4... There's LOTS thats yous cans dos...!

Return to “DCC RPG General”