Zocchi Dice Buyer's Guide

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: Zocchi Dice Buyer's Guide

Post by GnomeBoy »

mikepmarkey wrote:...but I could offer some individual dice in other colors in the future if there's interest.
Well, that's a thought if you're finding this worth going forward with... Some folks like their dice to be all one color, and then there are those of us that like variety so we can pick out the right one easier...
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
mikepmarkey
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by mikepmarkey »

Well, that auction is over and another box of dice is out the door or will be soon. Feel free to leave positive feedback if you already got yours. That's it for me until some time after Gen Con.

Happy gaming, and may all your hits be crits!
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

I thank you kindly, and look forward to receiving my sets.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
themightyeroc
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by themightyeroc »

Got my sets Friday! Just in time for my first session that night!

Players were mystified by them!

Thanks!!!
Ah well, who wants to live forever? DIE!
worldoferoc.blogspot.com
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

Got my two sets the other day. My son took one look at them and said something to the effect of "cool, but why are the d7 and d14 so huge?"

So, why are the d7 and d14 so huge?
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Cool! I just got my two sets, and they are beautiful! And it's game night....how cool is that!
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

I could of sworn I ordered a set, but I can't find proof!!! When will these be available again? I need some. Plain white set is perfect for my purpose.
Reverend Dakota Jesus Ultimak, S.S.M.o.t.S.M.S., D.M.

(Dungeon) Master In Chief of Crawl! fanzine. - http://www.crawlfanzine.com/

"[...] there is no doubt that Dungeons and Dragons and its imitators are right out of the pit of hell." - William Schnoebelen, Straight talk on Dungeons & Dragons
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

reverenddak wrote:I could of sworn I ordered a set, but I can't find proof!!! When will these be available again? I need some. Plain white set is perfect for my purpose.
I got mine today. Each die was individually paper-wrapped inside a bubble-wrap envelope, so they arrived in pristine condition. I am very happy with the purchase, and very happy with the seller. When they become available again, I am considering buying more.
SoBH pbp:

Rick
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: Gateway Games & More

Post by Rick »

Koplow are selling these sets for $7.50 here at GenCon. Some are all white, some are mixed colors including black, blue, green.
Just FYI.

Vanguard
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Vanguard »

Those are literally the ugliest dice in existence.
My Gaming Blog: The Earthlight Academy
http://earthlightacademy.blogspot.com/
reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

Vanguard wrote:Those are literally the ugliest dice in existence.
Yep. perfect for demos and table loaners!

"[...] there is no doubt that Dungeons and Dragons and its imitators are right out of the pit of hell." - William Schnoebelen, Straight talk on Dungeons & Dragons
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

I like 'em. :mrgreen:
SoBH pbp:

GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Vanguard wrote:Those are literally the ugliest dice in existence.
They are bland, but I've seen uglier... Heck, I have uglier...
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Jim Skach
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Jim Skach »

finarvyn wrote:So, why are the d7 and d14 so huge?
OK...so while at GenCon and after buying six sets, individually, as well as all the other dice my kids and I wanted, I told them I had only one complaint....why are the d7/d14's so big?

Here's the gist:
They had no idea there would be such a demand. Nobody told them their would be a game that called for them (I informed him as part of the conversation that the name of the game was DCC from Goodman - he literally had no idea). At present, all they had in the way of molds for d7/d14 were for educational purposes - continents (an I think seas). In order to make that work, each face had to be large enough to have a picture of the geographical location in question. Thus - d7/d14 have huge faces to fit the pictures!

He seemed sympathetic to my pleas and there is hope that by GenCon next year we might see more normal-sized d7/d14 dice.

It also seemed kind of neat to me - "converting" shapes/dice intended for education to be used in an RPG had a nice symmetry to it...
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Jim Skach wrote:...It also seemed kind of neat to me - "converting" shapes/dice intended for education to be used in an RPG had a nice symmetry to it...
Great story.

And D&D has always been edumacational -- I figure I owe about 3-in-8 of my Scrabble words to Mr. Gygax!

funkaoshi
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by funkaoshi »

beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Don't want to destroy your business, but would you mind sharing where you're getting these? I'd like to order some and you ain't got any for sale right now. :-)
sniderman
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by sniderman »

I saw the post above about Koplow's Big Damn Oddball Dice while at Gen Con, so I visited the Dealer's Hall and grabbed a set of those and the matching jumbo "normal" polyhedrals. The only one they didn't have on hand was the d14 (though they did have the d7, go figure), so I placed an eBay order for that while at Gen Con. When I got home, my final die was here, making it complete. My only complaint is that the d16 is still a bit on the smaller side when compared with the rest of the set. Oh, and I picked up the nifty reinforced vinyl bag for 'em too.

See, some of you have been dissing their oversized shapes, but I think that's what makes these so cool! See the "normal sized" polys next to them? Yeah, when you roll these, you get a sissy little noise - KLINK - DINKLE - TINKLE - TINK. But roll these BDD (big damn dice) and they sound all manly and stuff - BLONK - KLADONKLE - BLONKLE - DONK. when those go bouncing, you know serious sh*t's goin' down!

Some folks call their dice "knucklebones," but these are "skullbones."
zombiekiller
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by zombiekiller »

Big dice are nice for both younger and older gamers ... you know the one you were and the one you will be. :)
Rick
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: Gateway Games & More

Post by Rick »

sniderman wrote:BLONK - KLADONKLE - BLONKLE - DONK.
Thanks, you just named my next 4 zero level PCs :wink:
reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

I call them Kindergarten dice... like the pencils, crayons, Duplo, etc... but they're awesome.

Don't use them on fine tables, they will dent them. Don't use them on Glass tables, they're break them.

sniderman
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by sniderman »

And don't use them in your dice tower either. Now I gotta go find pumper's helper.
mikepmarkey
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by mikepmarkey »

thefmgirl
Gongfarmer

Post by thefmgirl »

sniderman wrote:Image

I saw the post above about Koplow's Big Damn Oddball Dice while at Gen Con, so I visited the Dealer's Hall and grabbed a set of those and the matching jumbo "normal" polyhedrals. The only one they didn't have on hand was the d14 (though they did have the d7, go figure), so I placed an eBay order for that while at Gen Con. When I got home, my final die was here, making it complete. My only complaint is that the d16 is still a bit on the smaller side when compared with the rest of the set. Oh, and I picked up the nifty reinforced vinyl bag for 'em too.

See, some of you have been dissing their oversized shapes, but I think that's what makes these so cool! See the "normal sized" polys next to them? Yeah, when you roll these, you get a sissy little noise - KLINK - DINKLE - TINKLE - TINK. But roll these BDD (big damn dice) and they sound all manly and stuff - BLONK - KLADONKLE - BLONKLE - DONK. when those go bouncing, you know serious sh*t's goin' down!

Some folks call their dice "knucklebones," but these are "skullbones."

Can some one tell me where I can get both these dice and the bag to purchase please
thanks
sniderman
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by sniderman »

thefmgirl wrote:Can some one tell me where I can get both these dice and the bag to purchase please
thanks
I picked them all up at Gen Con. They're Koplow dice.

http://www.koplowgames.com/

The bag is from Crystal Caste.

www.crystalcaste.com

There have been a few links posted earlier in this thread telling you where you can pick these up. Heck, there's even an eBay auction in the post above yours offering most of these dice.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320994331507

And when all else fails, poke around eBay, game store sites, and the usual locations.

Return to “DCC RPG General”