Goodman Games

Fan Forums
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 219 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:49 pm 
Offline
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:13 pm
Posts: 22
Location: New Jersey, US
GnomeBoy wrote:
Ah, yes, but multiplying is not how it works. To wit:

2x1=2
2x2=4
2x3=6
etc

So your suggested multiplying, with a d8 would give a range of results like: 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 4, 5, 6, 6, 7, 8, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16. (Might be useful for something, I suppose.)


Durp! Wow, what an oversight!! Didn't even think about it - thanks for enlightening me before I embarrassed myself at a game table :-)

Anyhow, I just want to give a huge THANKS to everyone on this thread/in this forum who gave awesome recommendations about using Crayons to fill in dice numbers on dice molds. I had just ordered a pound of Zocchi dice before ever seeing this thread, then I read this thread earlier this week, and when my dice came, none of them were colored - I was surprised to see this, but, thanks to this thread, I was well-prepared!

In fact, I found it very centering to color in my own dice and my family kept telling me how cool they look, so, I may always order my dice like this (but never again a whole pound - that was rediculous). Here's a pic:

Image

So thanks to all you old-schoolers out there for passing this super valuable crayon-technique on to a noob :) I would have been totally lost if I didn't read this.

Also, for anyone interested, the pound of Zocchi dice from Game Science included no d3, d5, d7, d14, d16, d24 - I'm pretty sure I recall Goodman calling the odd dice used in DCC "Zocchi Dice", but I think "Zocchi Dice" really just refers to Game Science's dice in general. I was super bummed that I didn't get any odd dice that would be used in DCC (I did get some weird ones that I've never seen, like d20s that had two sets of 10 and d50, d100 but that were intervals of 10).

Anyhow, thanks everyone!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:17 pm 
Offline
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:36 am
Posts: 525
modemaus wrote:
Also, for anyone interested, the pound of Zocchi dice from Game Science included no d3, d5, d7, d14, d16, d24 - I'm pretty sure I recall Goodman calling the odd dice used in DCC "Zocchi Dice", but I think "Zocchi Dice" really just refers to Game Science's dice in general.

Zocchi dice refers to both, though more commonly it is used to note the "Zocchi pack" of the 5 "weird' dice, and is attached to the 1 and 5 pound boxes because the assortment found within is completely random.

Yours didn't have any weird dice - the six pounds I've bought contained dozens of d16s, d14s, d24s, d5s (though mostly 10 sided) and a few d3s... but only 1 d30.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:28 am 
Offline
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:56 am
Posts: 22
modemaus wrote:

Anyhow, I just want to give a huge THANKS to everyone on this thread/in this forum who gave awesome recommendations about using Crayons to fill in dice numbers on dice molds. I had just ordered a pound of Zocchi dice before ever seeing this thread, then I read this thread earlier this week, and when my dice came, none of them were colored - I was surprised to see this, but, thanks to this thread, I was well-prepared!

In fact, I found it very centering to color in my own dice and my family kept telling me how cool they look, so, I may always order my dice like this (but never again a whole pound - that was rediculous). Here's a pic:

Image

So thanks to all you old-schoolers out there for passing this super valuable crayon-technique on to a noob :) I would have been totally lost if I didn't read this.

Also, for anyone interested, the pound of Zocchi dice from Game Science included no d3, d5, d7, d14, d16, d24 - I'm pretty sure I recall Goodman calling the odd dice used in DCC "Zocchi Dice", but I think "Zocchi Dice" really just refers to Game Science's dice in general. I was super bummed that I didn't get any odd dice that would be used in DCC (I did get some weird ones that I've never seen, like d20s that had two sets of 10 and d50, d100 but that were intervals of 10).

Anyhow, thanks everyone!


Those look great!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:42 am 
Offline
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:13 pm
Posts: 22
Location: New Jersey, US
mikepmarkey wrote:
Those look great!


Thanks! I just received some dice from your shop which are real boss, they have some serious size and weight to them! I like them a ton, I think their size is a good talking point which will be a lot of fun for my players.

I found out from Game Science that you can custom order a box of the odd Zocchi dice (d3,d5,d7,d14, etc) for .... .... $275.00 US! To quote The Princess Bride, "Inconceivable!" I just cannot justify an expense like that!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:03 pm 
Offline
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:26 am
Posts: 45
Crayon coloring rocks!

Try using two colors...


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:30 pm 
Offline
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2003 4:19 pm
Posts: 546
mikepmarkey wrote:
So the Ebay dice listing expired again. A friend of mine used to run a simple website just for selling custom game bits he had made using his laser cutter (formerly at http://www.bgtokens.com/shop), and he suggested I should do the same and not bother with listing a re-listing all the time. So, since he's much more web-savy than I and was offering to help, I figured why not?

So the same dice can be found here:
http://www.genomicgames.com/store/

...and that's all (at least for now). :lol:


Ordered!

_________________
AKA Paul Wolfe
The Mystic Bull: Check out our two FREE prehistoric adventures: The Steading of the Nergalites AND The Tribe of Ogg and the Gift of Suss
In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer (PDF) and softcover: 12 Short Adventures for DCC!
The God-Seed Awakens: 3rd Level Adventure for DCC. New patron, new spells, lots of new monsters and the living weapons of the Empire of Thal!
My Gamer Profile


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:00 pm 
Offline
Ill-Fated Peasant
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:39 am
Posts: 7
I recently got VERY lucky with a precision Armor Topaz gem d30. It wasn't til recently, after purchashing DCC and finding that I needed some Zocchi dice, that I realized the significance of precision dice.

I've been playing P&P RPG's since 1986, and after all these years, I've only now been educated about the specifics behind the manufacturing of dice. Like many others, I had my dice that seemed to roll "good", and those that seemed to roll "bad". I always thought it was just one of the quirks that rpg'ers develop over years. I'd never really put the thought into it long enough to realize that some die actually DO roll better or worse than others.

Other players in my groups are ordering theirs now. Don't get me wrong, I'm not requiring them to. They are free to use their old dice as far as I'm concerned. I just know now that I won't be going back.

Once I found out about just how rare precision d30s are now, I tried to buy more. But in the short time that has passed between my buying mine, and now, I've found that every single precision d30 seems to be out of stock. And I can't find any more. Guess it was just blind luck I found the precision d30 that I did, and I got VERY lucky to have found a gem one.

Anyway, here's a really crappy picture of the topaz set I recently purchased, including the new d30 mentioned above. The picture was take a bit too close for an ancient digital camera. I'll take a better picture later. Since I busted my new camera, I just haven't gotten around to buying another, and I recently lost my cell phone. So I was stuck with a piece o' crap that for some reason, I haven't gotten around to throwing away.

Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:46 pm 
Offline
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:40 pm
Posts: 194
Location: West Palm Beach, Fl
ragboy wrote:
mikepmarkey wrote:
So the Ebay dice listing expired again. A friend of mine used to run a simple website just for selling custom game bits he had made using his laser cutter (formerly at http://www.bgtokens.com/shop), and he suggested I should do the same and not bother with listing a re-listing all the time. So, since he's much more web-savy than I and was offering to help, I figured why not?

So the same dice can be found here:
http://www.genomicgames.com/store/

...and that's all (at least for now). :lol:


I just pointed all 6 of my players your way, the two halflings are dying to get their own D16's. I will be getting some soon as well.

Thanks again for putting these out there as a set. Is there a possibility that Goodman Games might start offering these sets themselves as Official DCC dice? just a thought for Joseph.

_________________
Ah well, who wants to live forever? DIE!
worldoferoc.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:18 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:05 pm
Posts: 671
Location: Devon, England
Recently e-mailed Crystal Caste (the chap behind the fantastic crystal-shaped dice, dwarven stones, etc.) and mentioning DCC RPG, asked if he had any plans to do crystal-style d3s, d5s, d7s, d14s, d16s, etc. in the future. He was very cool and polite, but said he had no plans to do such dice sadly. A shame, as a set of matching crystal-style DCC-appropriate dice would've been very cool.

Here's to hoping we see an official matching set some time in the future.

Colin


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:27 pm 
Offline
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:55 pm
Posts: 50
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Where can I order a full set of precision dice like these please?

Pentegarn wrote:
I recently got VERY lucky with a precision Armor Topaz gem d30. It wasn't til recently, after purchashing DCC and finding that I needed some Zocchi dice, that I realized the significance of precision dice.

I've been playing P&P RPG's since 1986, and after all these years, I've only now been educated about the specifics behind the manufacturing of dice. Like many others, I had my dice that seemed to roll "good", and those that seemed to roll "bad". I always thought it was just one of the quirks that rpg'ers develop over years. I'd never really put the thought into it long enough to realize that some die actually DO roll better or worse than others.

Other players in my groups are ordering theirs now. Don't get me wrong, I'm not requiring them to. They are free to use their old dice as far as I'm concerned. I just know now that I won't be going back.

Once I found out about just how rare precision d30s are now, I tried to buy more. But in the short time that has passed between my buying mine, and now, I've found that every single precision d30 seems to be out of stock. And I can't find any more. Guess it was just blind luck I found the precision d30 that I did, and I got VERY lucky to have found a gem one.

Anyway, here's a really crappy picture of the topaz set I recently purchased, including the new d30 mentioned above. The picture was take a bit too close for an ancient digital camera. I'll take a better picture later. Since I busted my new camera, I just haven't gotten around to buying another, and I recently lost my cell phone. So I was stuck with a piece o' crap that for some reason, I haven't gotten around to throwing away.

Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:27 am 
Offline
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:36 am
Posts: 525
daddystabz wrote:
Where can I order a full set of precision dice like these please?
You can find 12 piece sets of precision dice, inked and uninked, at Gamestation.net.

The d30, unfortunately, is not included in any sets and is very difficult to find these days in a precision style - especially one matching the color of other currently available dice.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:46 am 
Offline
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:14 am
Posts: 471
Location: Cube Farm of Alien Geometry
I do not like the shapes of the d3, d5, and d7 and and strongly prefer the d3 to be a d6 numbered 1-3 twice, the d5 to be d10 numbered 1-5 twice and d7 a d14 numbered 1-7 twice. The issue is these d5,d7, d14 are huge and non precision.

Ideally for me a DCC set would be a precision set in a normal size in the configs above. I don't know why it has take Goodman Games so long to have an official set of dice. :(


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:41 am 
Offline
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:36 am
Posts: 525
cthulhudarren wrote:
I don't know why it has take Goodman Games so long to have an official set of dice. :(
Allow me to explain: They are not a dice manufacturer, nor do they have an employ whose job is to liaise with a dice manufacturer - and being a small company all their employs they do have are already handling a full (or more than full) plate.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:47 am 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:05 pm
Posts: 671
Location: Devon, England
TheNobleDrake wrote:
daddystabz wrote:
Where can I order a full set of precision dice like these please?
You can find 12 piece sets of precision dice, inked and uninked, at Gamestation.net.

The d30, unfortunately, is not included in any sets and is very difficult to find these days in a precision style - especially one matching the color of other currently available dice.


Similarly, the d7 is not included in any sets either. Not that that's a loss; it's a hideously ugly dice anyway.

Colin


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:56 am 
Offline
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:14 am
Posts: 471
Location: Cube Farm of Alien Geometry
TheNobleDrake wrote:
cthulhudarren wrote:
I don't know why it has take Goodman Games so long to have an official set of dice. :(
Allow me to explain: They are not a dice manufacturer, nor do they have an employ whose job is to liaise with a dice manufacturer - and being a small company all their employs they do have are already handling a full (or more than full) plate.


If only it was possible to correct this.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:21 am 
Offline
Wild-Eyed Zealot
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:12 pm
Posts: 55
Location: Frozen Northern Ohio
Colin wrote:

Similarly, the d7 is not included in any sets either. Not that that's a loss; it's a hideously ugly dice anyway.

Colin


Unless you find a d14 that's numbered 1-7 twice...which I did. ;)

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:35 am 
Offline
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:14 am
Posts: 233
When I want specialty dice my LFGS can't get, I find the part # on chessex's site and then call them and place an order directly. Try it, you'll like it!

_________________
Link to Sveden's PCs
PC descriptions/Status
Bypeld: Wizard - Alchemist AL:N AC:10 HP:6 Weapon:Staff or Longsword +1 (1d4+1) 13/6/9/11/15/8(7)
Orastes: Wizard - Grave Digger AL:C AC:10 HP:6 Weapon:Shovel -2 (1d4-2) 4/12/12/10/14/10
Tonunt: Thief - Weaver AL:L AC:11 HP:6 Weapon:Dagger -2 (1d4-2) 5/13/9(11)/5/6/13
Portly Trim: Cleric AC:11
Fritz: Thief AC:10


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:02 am 
Offline
Cold-Hearted Immortal
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:41 am
Posts: 2708
sniderman wrote:
Colin wrote:

Similarly, the d7 is not included in any sets either. Not that that's a loss; it's a hideously ugly dice anyway.

Colin


Unless you find a d14 that's numbered 1-7 twice...which I did. ;)


As did I, but I also really luck my "hideously ugly" black casino d7.

_________________
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:02 am 
Offline
Cold-Hearted Immortal
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:41 am
Posts: 2708
sniderman wrote:
Colin wrote:

Similarly, the d7 is not included in any sets either. Not that that's a loss; it's a hideously ugly dice anyway.

Colin


Unless you find a d14 that's numbered 1-7 twice...which I did. ;)


As did I, but I also really luck my "hideously ugly" black casino d7.

"Don't hate me because I am beautiful ugly."

Image

Here's a die resource I found while looking for that image: http://www.mathartfun.com/shopsite_sc/s ... yDice.html

_________________
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 219 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group