paper quality

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

onearmspence
Far-Sighted Wanderer

paper quality

Post by onearmspence »

Hi folks

This is my first time as a GG's costumer, so I wanted to know what sort of paper GG use for their prints?
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Re: paper quality

Post by Ravenheart87 »

I think it's going to be printed with blood on human skin, but Joseph probably knows it better...

If it's going to be like the Dungeon Alphabet, then I won't complain, it has quite sturdy and thick paper.
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

DCC RPG will be printed on 70# uncoated offset. That is a durable, heavyweight paper stock near the upper end of what most printers keep in stock. It is not the "slick" type paper that you see used in color products; it is a more textured paper. When you read RPG products that feel like they are on flimsy paper, that is typically 50# stock (which I don't use). The real test is whether you can see the blacks through the page - i.e. is a dark illustration visible on the other side of the page. With 50# paper, it is; with 70#, it is not.

As long as we are on the subject - I am also using Smythe-sewn binding. That means nothing to most people but it is the difference between a heavily-referenced RPG falling apart at the binding or not. Smythe-sewn features an adhesive binding AND sewn threads to hold the binding together. All those RPG's you bought that fell apart after a couple months of use...well, they used adhesive only. Smythe-sewn is more expensive but it is worth it.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Galadrin
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Galadrin »

I have a decade of industry experience in print, and I fully endorse those print specs! 70lb is definitely a nice, solid text stock, and uncoated feels nice to the touch (and allows scribbling notes and house rules in the columns!). Smythe sewn binding is also top notch. A book this large with just perfect binding (aka glue) would definitely come apart with too much use.

I'm glad to see that DCC will be using uncoated paper (like the AD&D books). It's sad to see a lot of publishers going towards glossy. Glossy text stock is cheap, in my opinion, and makes flipping through the book not as enjoyable.
Stainless
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Stainless »

With the quality of the printing and binding, the page count, the amount of art, the mechanics and the whole tone of the game, I'm even more convinced this will be an instant rpg classic (just as the name suggests).
Avatar by Stefan Poag (I now own the original!)
Thane
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Thane »

The obvious love and caring that's gone into this product, is worth the price alone.

Congrats!
"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it". ~ Voltaire
blindelf
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by blindelf »

This information on the paper stock and the binding quality is the final straw - I am now literally
giddy with anticipation of touching this hallowed tome. This is gonna be a GOOD summer.
onearmspence
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by onearmspence »

awesome :D
henis
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by henis »

Stainless wrote:With the quality of the printing and binding, the page count, the amount of art, the mechanics and the whole tone of the game, I'm even more convinced this will be an instant rpg classic (just as the name suggests).
Classic artwork, classic printing and binding, classic game mechanics, classic roleplaying, classic dungeon crawling.
Dungeon Crawl Classic RPG.

That's got to be the tagline of this game.
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

henis wrote:
Stainless wrote:With the quality of the printing and binding, the page count, the amount of art, the mechanics and the whole tone of the game, I'm even more convinced this will be an instant rpg classic (just as the name suggests).
Classic artwork, classic printing and binding, classic game mechanics, classic roleplaying, classic dungeon crawling.
Dungeon Crawl Classic RPG.

That's got to be the tagline of this game.
Now let's put this on a T-shirt, which shows at least some classic atwork. And a poster, which says April instead of February. :)
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
neverreflected
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Gateway Games & More - Cincinnati, OH

Post by neverreflected »

DCC RPG will be printed on 70# uncoated offset. That is a durable, heavyweight paper stock near the upper end of what most printers keep in stock. It is not the "slick" type paper that you see used in color products; it is a more textured paper. When you read RPG products that feel like they are on flimsy paper, that is typically 50# stock (which I don't use). The real test is whether you can see the blacks through the page - i.e. is a dark illustration visible on the other side of the page. With 50# paper, it is; with 70#, it is not.

As long as we are on the subject - I am also using Smythe-sewn binding. That means nothing to most people but it is the difference between a heavily-referenced RPG falling apart at the binding or not. Smythe-sewn features an adhesive binding AND sewn threads to hold the binding together. All those RPG's you bought that fell apart after a couple months of use...well, they used adhesive only. Smythe-sewn is more expensive but it is worth it.
Having worked in printing, I can truly appreciate the extra care you are taking with this book. I love that you are printing on 70#. I hate the text gloss papers and the smythe-sewn binding is awesome. I am always happy to pay extra for a quality book.
jasmith
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by jasmith »

goodmangames wrote: As long as we are on the subject - I am also using Smythe-sewn binding. That means nothing to most people but it is the difference between a heavily-referenced RPG falling apart at the binding or not. Smythe-sewn features an adhesive binding AND sewn threads to hold the binding together. All those RPG's you bought that fell apart after a couple months of use...well, they used adhesive only. Smythe-sewn is more expensive but it is worth it.
I know what Smythe-sewn means. :D

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

And thanks for the email reminder on the pre-orders. I placed my order this morning and am really looking forward to running this game!
shadewest
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by shadewest »

goodmangames wrote:DCC RPG will be printed on 70# uncoated offset. That is a durable, heavyweight paper stock near the upper end of what most printers keep in stock. It is not the "slick" type paper that you see used in color products; it is a more textured paper. When you read RPG products that feel like they are on flimsy paper, that is typically 50# stock (which I don't use). The real test is whether you can see the blacks through the page - i.e. is a dark illustration visible on the other side of the page. With 50# paper, it is; with 70#, it is not.

Excellent! I am so tired of paying for the perceived quality of slick pages that just cause a glare and make the book difficult to read. Smythe sewn binding is also real value.

Again, thank you, Joseph.
...unless the judge rules otherwise.

Steven Thivierge
Playtester and additional design for:DCC RPG.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

I don't know much about paper weight I doubt I'd heard the term "Smythe sewn" before a day or so ago. What I do know is that Goodman Games puts out a quality product, both in terms of writing/artistic quality and the physical item. I trust in Joseph on this! :D
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
fjw70
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by fjw70 »

finarvyn wrote:I don't know much about paper weight I doubt I'd heard the term "Smythe sewn" before a day or so ago. What I do know is that Goodman Games puts out a quality product, both in terms of writing/artistic quality and the physical item. I trust in Joseph on this! :D
I don't know much about paper either but I d prefer black and white artwork in RPGs over the slick color illustrations. It is kind of like I prefer 2d over 3d movies. It is an improvement that I don't really value.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Wow, I knew I was an RPG geek among RPG geeks.

I had no idea I was also among fellow stationary geeks... :mrgreen:
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham

Return to “DCC RPG General”