Interview with Joseph & Harley on the DCC line, DCC RPG, etc

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Interview with Joseph & Harley on the DCC line, DCC RPG, etc

Post by goodmangames »

Just posted by some of our German friends. Read the German version of the interview as well for extra credit. :)

http://greifenklaue.wordpress.com/2012/ ... -the-dccs/
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Re: Interview with Joseph & Harley on the DCC line, DCC RPG,

Post by mythfish »

goodmangames wrote:Just posted by some of our German friends. Read the German version of the interview as well for extra credit. :)
I got an A- when I read the English version, and that's good enough for me. I'll pass on the extra credit. :)
Dieter Zimmerman
[[Faceless Minion of the Dark Master]]
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

My favorite part:

Argamae: What is your target audience for the upcoming DCC roleplaying game?
Joseph: Joseph Goodman is my target audience. I have said this before and I’ll say this again: I’m writing this game for me. It’s the game I’ve always wanted to play. Hopefully a few other folks will like it as well.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Greifenklaue
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Greifenklaue »

Hi!

The second part is online.

-> http://greifenklaue.wordpress.com/2012/ ... -the-rest/

The german version will following today afternoon (German time ...), but I think the english part is the most interest for the guys of this board.

Great thanx to Joseph and Harley, also to Argamae for the translation.

We also recorded a podcast (actually three) but lost the data (also the save data), so we will start this again.
Greifenklaue- German RPG blog with DCC (of course) and some interviews in English

German translation team for Pathfinder, LabLord, Mutant future and other great stuff.
Coleston the Cavalier
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Coleston the Cavalier »

finarvyn wrote:My favorite part:

Joseph: Joseph Goodman is my target audience. I have said this before and I’ll say this again: I’m writing this game for me. It’s the game I’ve always wanted to play. Hopefully a few other folks will like it as well.
I could not agree more!
I have been looking for a rpg like this for about five years now.
John Adams
Greifenklaue
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Greifenklaue »

I don`t know that I had searched something like this, but when I found, I knew that I searched this my hole life. :D

I read with satisfaction that a German version is possible.

By the way, will BHP become a DCC-Third party publisher (the newsblogger in me force me to ask ...)? It would be great!!!
Greifenklaue- German RPG blog with DCC (of course) and some interviews in English

German translation team for Pathfinder, LabLord, Mutant future and other great stuff.
Coleston the Cavalier
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Coleston the Cavalier »

Greifenklaue wrote:I don`t know that I had searched something like this, but when I found, I knew that I searched this my hole life. :D

I read with satisfaction that a German version is possible.

By the way, will BHP become a DCC-Third party publisher (the newsblogger in me force me to ask ...)? It would be great!!!
I am pretty sure BHP might have been the first DCC-3rd party publisher! Our line of "Appendix N Adventures" will follow DCC RPG into game stores around the world. :) I am just waiting for one more piece of art before I will announce our first release due in May.
John Adams
Greifenklaue
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Greifenklaue »

That`s very cool!!!

blindelf
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by blindelf »

Just want to say that this interview was incredibly well-conducted, information-rich, fun and educational.

This is what actually allowed me to get a few of my friends interested in playing DCC RPG, this interview.
smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by smathis »

finarvyn wrote:My favorite part:

Whew!

I feel better now. I was beginning to wonder about TA/TG because, well, they're just how I want them to be (thus far). Happy to see I'm following in Joseph's footsteps here.
Karaptis
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Karaptis »

There's nothing worse than when a game changes because of people whining that X class or Y race needs to be nerfed for game balance :evil: . Joseph's approach is if something or someone is powerful, it was the dice that did it. I like the concept of balance through pure randomization. It's just a matter of making sure the DM isn't a Monty Hall DM (as opposed to my Monty Python DMing :lol: ).
smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by smathis »

Karaptis wrote:There's nothing worse than when a game changes because of people whining that X class or Y race needs to be nerfed for game balance :evil: . Joseph's approach is if something or someone is powerful, it was the dice that did it. I like the concept of balance through pure randomization. It's just a matter of making sure the DM isn't a Monty Hall DM (as opposed to my Monty Python DMing :lol: ).
I agree. But I will also add that I found Joseph's openness to listen to and act on feedback during the playtesting period to be outstanding. I'll probably put up a blogpost at some point about it... But I've found most companies and authors prefer to treat "playtesting" as an extended marketing exercise instead of a trial-by-fire of the product.

Joseph not only delayed the print date of the game but he significantly REWROTE huge sections of DCC based on feedback he received. Not in the name of game balance, though. But in the spirit of straightening things out and making a better product. Things like changing the Thief's abilities from percentages to bonuses. Adding in little rules tweaks like d10 if untrained. Re-writing the Spells so they were more aligned to the level-based structure. That's unheard of, IME.

I've been involved with more than a few playtests in my day and this is maybe the second or third where a company or author was THAT invested in feedback. So, yes, he designed it primarily for his own tastes.

But he was REALLY cool about it too.
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

smathis wrote:I've been involved with more than a few playtests in my day and this is maybe the second or third where a company or author was THAT invested in feedback. So, yes, he designed it primarily for his own tastes.

At the risk of sounding too pithy:

He wrote it for himself.

He rewrote it for us. :)

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by smathis »

Harley Stroh wrote:
smathis wrote:I've been involved with more than a few playtests in my day and this is maybe the second or third where a company or author was THAT invested in feedback. So, yes, he designed it primarily for his own tastes.

At the risk of sounding too pithy:

He wrote it for himself.

He rewrote it for us. :)

//H
Nice!

Harley Stroh: Revenge of the Pith!!!
Karaptis
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Karaptis »

I totally respect his holding the line on demi humans and class. Too many times in the past RPGs offered super races (freakin Dragonmen really?). I miss the old school art as well as compared to the mangaesque garbage the competition has in their books with the six foot swords as thick as a tree trunk being held one handed by an elf.

Return to “DCC RPG General”