Elf Stalker.

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

8bit-Sorcerer
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Elf Stalker.

Post by 8bit-Sorcerer »

Hello.

I will soon begin a little DCC campaign (well, as soon as the book is available).
I would like to offer some additional options for semi-human characters. This is my attempt at a kind of Elven thief/wizard variation. It's more a scout/marksman than a Thief.

Elf Stalker

Hit Points: 1D6.

Weapon training: dagger*, longsword, short sword, dart, long bow*, short bow*. Weapon with a star allows for increased damage when backstabbing. An Elf stalker should choose its armor with care, as it affects the use of their skills.

Alignment: as Elf.
Magic: as Elf.
Caster Level: as Elf
Supernatural Patrons: as Elf
Infravision: as Elf
Immunities: as Elf
Vulnerabilities: as Elf
Heightened Senses: as Elf
Languages: as Elf

Thief skills: access to the following: backstab, sneak, hide, climb, build and disarm traps, handle poison. Those skills will have thief level -2.

Stalker secret scripture: a Stalker can carve marks that look like natural things to the untrained eyes.

Marksman: A Stalker can use the backstab skill with bows on an unaware target.

Luck: as Thief.

Level Attack Crit Die/Table Action Dice Luck Die Ref Fort Will
1 +0 1d6/II 1d20 d3 +1 +0 +1
2 +1 1d8/II 1d20 d3 +1 +0 +1
3 +1 1d8/II 1d20 d3 +1 +1 +2
4 +2 1d10/II 1d20 d4 +2 +1 +2
5 +2 1d10/II 1d20 d4 +2 +2 +3

Known spells and max spell level are as Elf.

Experience:
Level 0: -100
Level 1: 1
Level 2: 1225
Level 3: 2550
Level 4: 5100
Level 5: 9250

Is this class well balanced?
Please be indulgent with my modest english language skills, I'm not a native english speaker.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Re: Elf Stalker.

Post by finarvyn »

1. You can still play before the main rulebook comes out. Hopefully you've found the free download Beta version. 8)

2. The XP chart you have is obsolete. Not a big deal, actually, and a quick fix later on. At the moment I'd just keep it the way you have it and adjust when the rulebook comes out.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
8bit-Sorcerer
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by 8bit-Sorcerer »

finarvyn wrote:1. You can still play before the main rulebook comes out. Hopefully you've found the free download Beta version. 8)
I guess I will. But I don't want my magic user players to feel limited once they can cast higher level spells.
finarvyn wrote:2. The XP chart you have is obsolete. Not a big deal, actually, and a quick fix later on. At the moment I'd just keep it the way you have it and adjust when the rulebook comes out.
This obsolete chart has the charm of the old red box edition of D&D. It brings memories.
Please be indulgent with my modest english language skills, I'm not a native english speaker.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

8bit-Sorcerer wrote:
finarvyn wrote:2. The XP chart you have is obsolete. Not a big deal, actually, and a quick fix later on. At the moment I'd just keep it the way you have it and adjust when the rulebook comes out.
This obsolete chart has the charm of the old red box edition of D&D. It brings memories.
It does bring memories. It's also pretty much the same basic XP system as is used in every edition of D&D from 1974 to the present, along with C&C, LL, S&W, and other more modern games.

The old system isn't a bad one, but there is really no advantage to having large numbers when smaller ones can do pretty much the same thing.

I like the new system better. It reduces a lot of the XP counting in the game and allows the GM to focus on play.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

I love the fact that you are creating alternate demi-human classes. That's exactly the sort of flexibility I have hoped that the "really simple race-as-class system" would inspire people to do. I like the elf stalker!
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
shadewest
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by shadewest »

I guess that means I better get my Gnome & Goblin written up properly, then. Though, neither one is really a typical interpretation. I don't like tech gnomes either.
...unless the judge rules otherwise.

Steven Thivierge
Playtester and additional design for:DCC RPG.
8bit-Sorcerer
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by 8bit-Sorcerer »

goodmangames wrote:I love the fact that you are creating alternate demi-human classes. That's exactly the sort of flexibility I have hoped that the "really simple race-as-class system" would inspire people to do. I like the elf stalker!
Thank you.

I think this one-custom-class-approach is far better than any multiclass-rule I've seen so far. It's easier to get balanced classes that way.

Return to “DCC RPG General”