Opinions on DCC RPG Alignment?

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

ThickSkullAdv
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Opinions on DCC RPG Alignment?

Post by ThickSkullAdv »

Hello folks,

Like most folks, I find inspiration in lots of different sources, and one of my primary sources for ideas is reading history of British monarchy (Tudors, Stuarts, etc.) The new series I'm writing has a theme where 3 different political elements are all vying for political power on a larger scale (think something similar to James II, Jacobites, Bonnie Prince Charlie, etc.) which of course creates lots of smaller-local conflicts.

One of the three factions will start trying to get help "darker forces" which makes them a natural candidate (in my mind anyway) for a Chaotic alignment, but if the other two factions remained "humanocentric" but still rivals, would it be logical to have 2 Lawful factions as bitter enemies? Would you as DM's expect to see something like, "Lawful, Stuart-centric" vs. "Lawful, Hanover-centric" (to keep with the English examples) where those two alignments are technically opposites? I will probably make them worship different gods, so that might fix it, but not quite sure yet.

Anyway, curious on thoughts.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Re: Opinions on DCC RPG Alignment?

Post by finarvyn »

My feeling on this is that your idea of rivals with the same alignment is just fine.

Most of the "old school" feel of Appendix N revolves around an "us against them" mentality. Elves versus orcs. Conan versus the picts. One side clearly trying to take out the other side.

What you are proposing is more of a Machiavellian style of play where law-neutral-chaos alignment isn't as important as faction alignment. Nobody is really good or evil, but everyone has to take sides against each other.

Tolkien sort of does this with his elves versus dwarves mentality where given an external threat (Sauron and the orcs) the factions would band together, but in the absence of such a threat the factions fight amongst themselves.

A nice idea!
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
8bit-Sorcerer
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: Opinions on DCC RPG Alignment?

Post by 8bit-Sorcerer »

In my setting, I will get rid of alignment as a free choice.
All characters will start as neutral.
Alignment will be replaced by a "taint meter" (ranging from -5 to +5), and only by dabbling into magic (by practicing magic, using magic item, calling divine powers or being influenced by spells) can this value evolve. This should work well with the patron system.

A Neutral Character has a score of -2 to +2
A Light aligned Character has a score of 3 to 5
A Darkness aligned Character has a score of -5 to -3

This "taint meter" will define what is affected by Alignment-related spells or abilities (such as circle of protection against evil or Cleric's turn ability).

Unlike the traditional alignment system, my "taint meter" is totally amoral.
A character acting "good" can have an Darkness Alignment due to the tools of its trade, or due to a spell cast upon him. A sadistic inquisitor (of the pyre-inclined lot) can have a Light-aligned taint due to the god it serves. And Gods are blind; most don't care about morality (this is a human centric view). Only the taint matter.

What the player will choose is its allegiance (usually a political inclined one, but it can be an allegiance to any group of choice). With allegiance comes the related common cultural knowledge, social conventions, and social standing (I will offer a free Allegiance-skill at character creation). The player will have the choice to change it at will during play (and develop a new allegiance-skill with time and labor). Treason brings its own rewards and punishment.
Please be indulgent with my modest english language skills, I'm not a native english speaker.

Return to “DCC RPG General”