Countdown Thread

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Warduke
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Re: Countdown Thread

Post by Warduke »

goodmangames wrote:And some other announcements coming soon. The extra time is being well-used...things like an alternate limited-edition cover, and a special module available only with pre-orders...stuff like that.
Ooooh....inquiring minds want to know. :mrgreen:
Member of Fathead's Favorite Posters Team
Pilgrim
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Pilgrim »

So, the limited-edition cover is for those that pre-order? If so, outstanding. :D
"Not all those who wander are lost." ~ JRR Tolkien
Brasidas
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Brasidas »

Special goodies for pre-ordering? That just tipped me over the edge. I have sent my Winged Minion, Paypal, to the home of Goodman Games. How many days left now? :D
Show yourself a brave man, as a Spartiate should; and do you, allies, follow him like men, and remember that zeal, honor, and obedience mark the good soldier.

Thucydides 5.9.9
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

Brasidas wrote:How many days left now? :D
Well, that's the problem. Joseph has given us sort of a vague timeline but not a specific date/number so we can resume the countdown.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

I don't want to miss another deadline...so I just won't announce the deadline. :) I think it will be an April release, based on the rapid progress that's being made, but there's a reason the web site just lists "Spring" at the moment. As soon as I can commit to something solid I will announce it. I've incorporated many of the suggestions from the beta rules, including some of the time-consuming ones (like unique misfire/corruption results for each spell), and, well, they took some time! But the final result will be worth it.

As for the pre-order special offer, anyone who pre-orders will receive a unique module that will not otherwise be available in stores. It's a full module, not just an "insert" - full-color cover, 16 pages, written by Harley with art by Doug and Stefan. Separately, there will be an alternate gold-foil cover. The alternate cover will be produced in a limited run and will cost a little more (the printing is more expensive). You can pre-order either version and get the module, as long as you place a pre-order. I'm planning to announce more details on these in a month or so when I have a near-finished layout in hand and can really commit to a release date!
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
dunbruha
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by dunbruha »

goodmangames wrote:I don't want to miss another deadline...so I just won't announce the deadline. :) I think it will be an April release, based on the rapid progress that's being made, but there's a reason the web site just lists "Spring" at the moment. As soon as I can commit to something solid I will announce it. I've incorporated many of the suggestions from the beta rules, including some of the time-consuming ones (like unique misfire/corruption results for each spell), and, well, they took some time! But the final result will be worth it.

As for the pre-order special offer, anyone who pre-orders will receive a unique module that will not otherwise be available in stores. It's a full module, not just an "insert" - full-color cover, 16 pages, written by Harley with art by Doug and Stefan. Separately, there will be an alternate gold-foil cover. The alternate cover will be produced in a limited run and will cost a little more (the printing is more expensive). You can pre-order either version and get the module, as long as you place a pre-order. I'm planning to announce more details on these in a month or so when I have a near-finished layout in hand and can really commit to a release date!
and there will be a way to pre-order through my local game store, right?
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

dunbruha wrote:and there will be a way to pre-order through my local game store, right?
Yes! There will be a downloadable pre-order form that will allow you to get the same offer through a brick-and-mortar store, at the same price. Actually a little cheaper because there won't be shipping charges.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Brasidas
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Brasidas »

goodmangames wrote:As for the pre-order special offer, anyone who pre-orders will receive a unique module that will not otherwise be available in stores. It's a full module, not just an "insert" - full-color cover, 16 pages, written by Harley with art by Doug and Stefan. Separately, there will be an alternate gold-foil cover. The alternate cover will be produced in a limited run and will cost a little more (the printing is more expensive).

Thanks for the information, that's helpful, and I'll be keeping an eye on the forums now.
goodmangames wrote:I'm planning to announce more details on these in a month or so when I have a near-finished layout in hand and can really commit to a release date!
So...it's 30 days until we can start counting? :lol: :lol:

(I know, I know :))
Show yourself a brave man, as a Spartiate should; and do you, allies, follow him like men, and remember that zeal, honor, and obedience mark the good soldier.

Thucydides 5.9.9
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

Brasidas wrote:
goodmangames wrote:I'm planning to announce more details on these in a month or so when I have a near-finished layout in hand and can really commit to a release date!
So...it's 30 days until we can start counting? :lol: :lol:
Sounds good! Let the pre-countdown countdown begin! :wink:
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
dunbruha
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by dunbruha »

goodmangames wrote:
dunbruha wrote:and there will be a way to pre-order through my local game store, right?
Yes! There will be a downloadable pre-order form that will allow you to get the same offer through a brick-and-mortar store, at the same price. Actually a little cheaper because there won't be shipping charges.
Excellent. This is a win-win for me. I save on shipping, and get to support my local store. And it hopefully will be a plus for you too, as the owner will be made aware of the product, and might order some more for the store.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

dunbruha wrote:
goodmangames wrote:
Excellent. This is a win-win for me. I save on shipping, and get to support my local store. And it hopefully will be a plus for you too, as the owner will be made aware of the product, and might order some more for the store.
^ This. ^
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Geoffrey
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Geoffrey »

goodmangames wrote:As for the pre-order special offer, anyone who pre-orders will receive a unique module that will not otherwise be available in stores. It's a full module, not just an "insert" - full-color cover, 16 pages, written by Harley with art by Doug and Stefan.
For what character level is this module?
Click here to purchase my five AD&D modules.
Each of these modules is self-contained. No other books are required other than the three AD&D rulebooks (or a similar set of rules if you prefer).
Click here to purchase prints of Luigi Castellani's cover art for these modules.
Pilgrim
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Pilgrim »

So, for those of us who have already pre-ordered the game, how can we switch our order to the alternate cover offer, because I'm pretty sure I'd like to do that. :D
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

The module is 1st level.

No problem switching the pre-order to the gold foil cover...I'll include instructions when we have all the details ready.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

The art for the alternative cover is absolutely amazing. Doug outdid himself. I cannot wait to see the final product.

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Pilgrim
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Pilgrim »

goodmangames wrote:No problem switching the pre-order to the gold foil cover...I'll include instructions when we have all the details ready.
Most excellent.

On a side note, seeing the growing list of 3PP items available on the DCC page makes me feel like a 10 year old kid playing Pokemon, because I'm gonna have to get them all. Both my wallet and my wife are going to kill me. :lol:
Stainless
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Stainless »

Hmmm, but can this work for non-USA stores, e.g., Leisure Games in London, UK?

goodmangames wrote:
Avatar by Stefan Poag (I now own the original!)
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Yes, as long as the retailer orders through a distributor, the pre-order form will work. We have used this same process many times before with US, UK, and other retailers. The retailer must actually place your order as a pre-order, which not all retailers are careful about. Where this goes wrong is when the retailer takes the order then neglects to place a pre-order (i.e., they place a normal order a month or two later rather than the pre-order you made). The special pre-order exclusive products are packaged slightly different from the rest, and we will print the modules to match the pre-orders...so, when it comes time to place your pre-order, make sure your retail actually does so. :) Don't worry, the order form will remind the retailer of all this.

Hey, did I mention that DCC RPG will also be 5E-compatible??

Just kidding. :)
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

goodmangames wrote:Hey, did I mention that DCC RPG will also be 5E-compatible?? Just kidding. :)
:lol: Good one!
Marv / Finarvyn

-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

Harley Stroh wrote:The art for the alternative cover is absolutely amazing.
Is a picture of this posted somewhere? Maybe I missed it?
Marv / Finarvyn

-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

finarvyn wrote:
Harley Stroh wrote:The art for the alternative cover is absolutely amazing.
Is a picture of this posted somewhere? Maybe I missed it?
I don't think it has been posted yet. I was just lucky enough to see Doug's art as we worked through a couple iterations. I look forward to Joseph posting a mockup; it will look fantastic in foil.

//H

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
ThickSkullAdv
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by ThickSkullAdv »

goodmangames wrote: Hey, did I mention that DCC RPG will also be 5E-compatible??

I was waiting for someone to bring this up :lol:
fjw70
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by fjw70 »

goodmangames wrote:
Hey, did I mention that DCC RPG will also be 5E-compatible??

I was going to make that joke. :evil:

The real question is what will be released first DCC RPG or 5th edition D&D? :)
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

fjw70 wrote:The real question is what will be released first DCC RPG or 5th edition D&D? :)
Ouch! Well played, sir.

//H

goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

fjw70 wrote:The real question is what will be released first DCC RPG or 5th edition D&D? :)
Low blow! Low blow!

Just to be safe, we'll jump straight to DCC RPG 5E. All I have to do is change the verbiage on the cover and it will start out as 5E. :)

DCC RPG 5E: coming in April!!
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com

Return to “DCC RPG General”