New to the Forums

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

chickenfoot09
Gongfarmer

New to the Forums

Post by chickenfoot09 »

Hey All,

Just wanted to jump in and say, after reading the DCC RPG beta rules, and some of the updates (like the cleric and the thief updates) and I very excited about this game. I really like the re-worked cleric and thief, and see why they were changed.

A few thoughts/questions...

I love the concept of the funnel! It's fun, creative and original.
I hope that once you are at level 1, the default method of play will support a single character (if folks want to run more than one character, that should be a sidebar, so to speak. It's hard to "RP" two characters interacting with each other when your running both, heh, heh.
I love the concept of the cleric paying out some sort of homage to reduce his penalties, I just hope it's well defined to avoid complications at the table.
I love the idea that maybe we can have an old school group of 8 or so players without play bogging down to excruciatingly slow do to sooo many rules.
I love heroic feats of fighters.
I LOVE that spells have variable effects depending on your casting role.
I LOVE the simplified skill system and personally, not really a huge fan of a "skills" section. I rather like the simplicity as presented in the beta rules.

Last, where can I get the free beta module (free rpg day). Is is available for download? Can someone email it to me?

Goodman, I have always enjoyed your products and this has some much potential, I will support it!
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Re: New to the Forums

Post by finarvyn »

chickenfoot09 wrote:Just wanted to jump in and say, after reading the DCC RPG beta rules, and some of the updates (like the cleric and the thief updates) and I very excited about this game. I really like the re-worked cleric and thief, and see why they were changed.
Agreed. I think this game plays well and is a lot of fun. Joseph's re-worked cleric and thief were good improvements on the older versions.
chickenfoot09 wrote:I love the concept of the funnel! It's fun, creative and original.

I hope that once you are at level 1, the default method of play will support a single character (if folks want to run more than one character, that should be a sidebar, so to speak. It's hard to "RP" two characters interacting with each other when your running both, heh, heh.
That's the way we have played it. The funnel primarily gets the character creation process underway, and once you thin out the characters that way you focus on a single character to play from then on. When players had more than one left, I encouraged them to set one aside as a backup and play the primary one instead.
chickenfoot09 wrote:I love the idea that maybe we can have an old school group of 8 or so players without play bogging down to excruciatingly slow do to sooo many rules.
This is a strength of the DCC RPG, in my book. I can run a somewhat freestyle game without the rules bloat so common to many RPGs.
chickenfoot09 wrote:I LOVE that spells have variable effects depending on your casting role.
The randomness of spell effects makes things a lot less predictable, which I enjoy a lot. A few of my players aren’t as happy because they really want to KNOW in advance how everything will work, but most of my group is interested in having fun instead of a tactical wargame.
chickenfoot09 wrote:I LOVE the simplified skill system and personally, not really a huge fan of a "skills" section. I rather like the simplicity as presented in the beta rules.
This goes back to the “no rules bloat” thing; a definite plus in my opinion.
chickenfoot09 wrote:Last, where can I get the free beta module (free rpg day). Is is available for download?
I know that the name is confusing, but the module was only free on “Free RPG Day” if you visited a game store that participated in the promotion. RPGNow sells a PDF download for about $5.
http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php? ... rers_id=36
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
chickenfoot09
Gongfarmer

Post by chickenfoot09 »

Thanks for all the comments Finarvyn. I am really curious to see where this goes. I may even pick up that module and attempt to run something.

Has there been any more clarification on the cleric "sacrifice" to reduce the penalty? How long does it take, can it be done in the middle of combat? Does it need to be done outside of combat?
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

chickenfoot09 wrote:Has there been any more clarification on the cleric "sacrifice" to reduce the penalty? How long does it take, can it be done in the middle of combat? Does it need to be done outside of combat?
Yes, I suppose that should be clarified. :) I have always treated it as something out of combat. The 'modern-day' equivalent would be going to confession, or praying before bedtime, etc.. I would say it takes a minimum of one turn, plus any time necessary to actually make the sacrifice (i.e., if the goods being sacrificed are precious metals or objects that require time to heat up & melt, then that is part of the time).
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com

Return to “DCC RPG General”