Pure Zocchi - Remove the d30?

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Colin

Pure Zocchi - Remove the d30?

Post by Colin »

Hey,

So, the d30 is barely used for anything, and that combined with the facts that...
a) GameScience/Zocchi don't make d30s.
b) Apart from a very limited few (and quickly disappearing) precision Armory d30s, available only in two dull opaque colours (hunter green and terra cotta), there are no precision d30s available.
c) GS have noted that because d30s didn't sell, they'd not be making them for a few years/no longer had the mold anyway.
d) The common d30s by Koplow are tumbled, ball-like monstrosities.
... made me think, isn't DCC better off without the d30?

It'd make it a little easier for folks; let them simply buy Zocchi packs to add to their existing polyhedrals rather than have them purchase separate d30s as well.

Discuss.

Colin
Last edited by Colin on Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jmucchiello
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Re: Pure Zocchi - Remove the d30?

Post by jmucchiello »

It is not really needed. At the level of variability you can just as easily use a d%. The +/- 1% at that range shouldn't matter.
Colin

Post by Colin »

jmucchiello wrote:It is not really needed. At the level of variability you can just as easily use a d%. The +/- 1% at that range shouldn't matter.
I take it you wouldn't mind the d30 being given the boot then? Should I make a poll on the d30 question?

Colin
fjw70
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by fjw70 »

Precision dice aren't needed. Regular dice work just fine.
Colin

Post by Colin »

fjw70 wrote:Precision dice aren't needed. Regular dice work just fine.
Heretic! :wink:

Personally though, I don't use normal dice, and it seems a little odd to me that a game proclaiming the virtues of "the great mage Zocchi" would actively require the user to either make workarounds or purchase a type of dice not made by GS/Zocchi at all.

Also, as GS/Zocchi don't make d30s, this section of the DCC RPG is incorrect:
DCC RPG, p6, Funky Dice wrote:This game utilizes polyhedrons of unusual shapes. Specifically, it utilizes the standard suite of dice, as well as what the author refers to as “Zocchi dice.” As an experienced gamer, you undoubtedly own a d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, and d20. DCC RPG also makes use of Zocchi dice in the following configurations: d3, d5, d7, d14, d16, d24, and d30.
Colin
fjw70
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by fjw70 »

RAD Colin wrote:
fjw70 wrote:Precision dice aren't needed. Regular dice work just fine.
Heretic! :wink:
Not the first time I have heard that charged levied against me. :)
Personally though, I don't use normal dice, and it seems a little odd to me that a game proclaiming the virtues of "the great mage Zocchi" would actively require the user to either make workarounds or purchase a type of dice not made by GS/Zocchi at all.
I assume the idea is to use the unusual dice for interesting design reasons and not to promote GS.
Also, as GS/Zocchi don't make d30s, this section of the DCC RPG is incorrect:
DCC RPG, p6, Funky Dice wrote:This game utilizes polyhedrons of unusual shapes. Specifically, it utilizes the standard suite of dice, as well as what the author refers to as “Zocchi dice.” As an experienced gamer, you undoubtedly own a d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, and d20. DCC RPG also makes use of Zocchi dice in the following configurations: d3, d5, d7, d14, d16, d24, and d30.
Colin
Since he says the author refers to them as Zocchi dice then he isn't wrong. He is just using the term differently.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

I like the d30. I remember the old Armory rules supplements designed to only use d30's. Those are kind of neat when you are trying to put in more variation in charts without going to full percentile.

I also hate the d30 because it's heavy and almost the size of a golf ball. Doesn't fit well in my dice bag.

I guess given the choice I'd leave it in, but it doesn't get used much. When I put my bag together I may throw in 2-3 or more of certain dice types, but only one d30.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Abacus Ape
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Abacus Ape »

There are smaller d30s around, but boy they are hard to find, at least in my experience. I found one in a cool little gaming shop, then tried to look online cause others in my group could only find the golf ball sized ones. One guy had a huge d30 that was even bigger than a golf ball. The one I found is a shiny mottled green a tiny bit bigger than the average d20 and a little bit smaller than the d24s I have seen. It was in a "free-for-all" type of bin, so I don't know the brand. My online search resulted in only finding the bigger ones, "koplow" I think is what showed up most often. Of course I am pretty bad at internet searches.
fjw70
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by fjw70 »

finarvyn wrote:I also hate the d30 because it's heavy . . .
Sounds like you need to workout more. :)
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

fjw70 wrote:
finarvyn wrote:I also hate the d30 because it's heavy . . .
Sounds like you need to workout more. :)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That made my day!
jmucchiello
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by jmucchiello »

finarvyn wrote:I like the d30. I remember the old Armory rules supplements designed to only use d30's. Those are kind of neat when you are trying to put in more variation in charts without going to full percentile.
Scotty: Keptain, I kin onlay giv ya full parcenteel fer a wee moment
Kirk: Spock?
Spock: I will endeavor to make due with a "wee moment".
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

jmucchiello wrote:
finarvyn wrote:I like the d30. I remember the old Armory rules supplements designed to only use d30's. Those are kind of neat when you are trying to put in more variation in charts without going to full percentile.
Scotty: Keptain, I kin onlay giv ya full parcenteel fer a wee moment
Kirk: Spock?
Spock: I will endeavor to make due with a "wee moment".
Are you saying that to play DCC RPG we're using stone knives and bear skins...?
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

Well, I will say that for years I've thought about re-doing a lot of the old OD&D charts into d30 instead of d20 so that a +1 would have a smaller effect. It would allow for slightly faster level advancement.

One of the problems was always access to d30's, which is the "funky dice" complaint we get here a lot. :wink:

And then it also seemed like a lot of work without much actual gain. I kind of like d30's better than percentile dice, however, so maybe someday I'll do it. One of those projects on the far, far back burner.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman

Return to “DCC RPG General”