Monster exp done yet?

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Devil Swine
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Monster exp done yet?

Post by Devil Swine »

Been off on vacation and just got back. Has monster exp been stated yet? I played while I was gone and just gave 1 exp per hp of monsters killed and 1 exp per gold spent.

I really liked the 1 EXP per gold spent as it not only made the players money grubbing greedy bastards but who would cut there own mothers throat for a Gold but then made them go threw all there gold away in very little time. I gave exp for every GP spent even if used to party or buy hookers so just like in those old tales of Conan the wine flowed baby and in no time at all the party was drained and needing more!
jmucchiello
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Re: Monster exp done yet?

Post by jmucchiello »

There have been no additional rules released since the Beta release except for a view of a couple higher level spells. Discussions here are only about the Beta as written.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

jmucchiello wrote:Discussions here are only about the Beta as written.
...along with wild speculations and suggestions about how to do things differently and wrong ways to use some dice to simulate other dice and so on and so on...
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
jmucchiello
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by jmucchiello »

GnomeBoy wrote:
jmucchiello wrote:Discussions here are only about the Beta as written.
...along with wild speculations and suggestions about how to do things differently and wrong ways to use some dice to simulate other dice and so on and so on...
This is the Internet. Wild speculation is SOP.
talmor
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by talmor »

jmucchiello wrote:This is the Internet. Wild speculation is SOP.
NO IT ISN'T!

Sorry, I don't think we've had a good flame war around here yet.
jmucchiello
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by jmucchiello »

talmor wrote:
jmucchiello wrote:This is the Internet. Wild speculation is SOP.
NO IT ISN'T!

Sorry, I don't think we've had a good flame war around here yet.
"I've told you once."
talmor
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by talmor »

jmucchiello wrote:"I've told you once."
No you haven't.
jmucchiello
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by jmucchiello »

talmor wrote:No you haven't.
Yes I have.
talmor
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by talmor »

jmucchiello wrote:Yes I have.
When?
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Look, this isn't an argument!
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

If you're interested, I've been using S&W standards. Which loosely coincides with D&D 3x. S&W has a slower progression only because the XP needed is higher per level (2000 XP for a fighter, while only 1000 in 3x) and S&W give XP per GP "recovered."

I do like the XP per GP spent, which is pretty awesome. But do you average it out, or is it per person? I see it being easier for Wizards & Clerics spending it on either tithes, research and sacrifices, while Fighters and Thieves would have nothing but parties. Then again, I see nothing "wrong" with that--it'd be honest Sword & Sorcery.
Reverend Dakota Jesus Ultimak, S.S.M.o.t.S.M.S., D.M.

(Dungeon) Master In Chief of Crawl! fanzine. - http://www.crawlfanzine.com/

"[...] there is no doubt that Dungeons and Dragons and its imitators are right out of the pit of hell." - William Schnoebelen, Straight talk on Dungeons & Dragons
Devil Swine
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Devil Swine »

I give 1 exp per HP of the creature. I also give 1 exp per gold spent to everyone. Keep in mind that so far gold is few and far between and the only time the party has seen a whole lot of it,they had no way to retrieve it all.They filled up there pockets and pouches but not one of em even had a backpack. One tried to carry it in his old cloak like it was a sake but it didnt make it up a long climb.

I know that seems low but I do want the game to last a long while,like basic or 1E used to. I know it sounds crazy but I like 0-3rd level to go slow but steady so that pc's have a little warning before death and I can afford to make a mistake that doesn't instant kill them. After 3rd level is hit I want levels to come slow and far between. Let them see progress but keep it down so that we can have as many adventures before the last call as we can.

To be honest I would LOVE for DCC to embrace the pathfinder way of doing the exp tables. Give us a fast,normal,slow exp table either for exp needed for levels or for monsters killed ect..or heck even just embrace the Ultra slow path and make me alone happy!
jmucchiello
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by jmucchiello »

Devil Swine wrote:heck even just embrace the Ultra slow path and make me alone happy!
Like this?

Code: Select all

Level  Ultraslow
   1          1
   2     100000
   3     300000
   4     600000
   5    1000000
reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

I'd like to see progression every 3 or 4 sessions. My group had a super short (2-hour) session last night, and there was tons of role-playing and three fights. A ton of things happen in Old-School play, but it was the third session and they're still Zeroes. With the rate of XP I've been giving them, they've only received about 50XP! There is a bit of frustration setting in, and I sympathize. So I don't see how a super slow progression is a good thing, or even fun. Now I don't want Video Game progression, I don't even want Movie level progression. But 5 levels with a full years worth of play? No one plays every 52 weeks, so that's just too slow, in my opinion.
Reverend Dakota Jesus Ultimak, S.S.M.o.t.S.M.S., D.M.

(Dungeon) Master In Chief of Crawl! fanzine. - http://www.crawlfanzine.com/

"[...] there is no doubt that Dungeons and Dragons and its imitators are right out of the pit of hell." - William Schnoebelen, Straight talk on Dungeons & Dragons
abk108
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by abk108 »

reverenddak wrote:I'd like to see progression every 3 or 4 sessions. My group had a super short (2-hour) session last night, and there was tons of role-playing and three fights. A ton of things happen in Old-School play, but it was the third session and they're still Zeroes. With the rate of XP I've been giving them, they've only received about 50XP! There is a bit of frustration setting in, and I sympathize. So I don't see how a super slow progression is a good thing, or even fun. Now I don't want Video Game progression, I don't even want Movie level progression. But 5 levels with a full years worth of play? No one plays every 52 weeks, so that's just too slow, in my opinion.
Agreed. At 0-level my pcs got some XP for anything they did,apart from monsters, and most was individual XP. So they were tempted to risk a lot with their fav character if they wanted to lvl up (they would've leveled up anyway at the end of the dungeon, they just didnt know)
  • Pick Lock 3-5 XP
  • Disable/Survive Trap 5-10 XP
  • Find important dungeon element (runes, sigil etc) 5-10 XP
  • Find Secret Door 5 XP
  • Courageous course of action
    (like going through unknown portal, trying to read out loud magical writings, wrestling an orc so that the others can run away) 10 XP
They went through the level 0 adventure (which was 80% dungeon..) in 2 three-hours sessions, and 3 out of 5 surviving characaters gained enough XP to level up, the other 2 short behind.

Now we're playing an investigative adventure in a bigger city, we already did 2 sessions, and they gained roughly 300 XP per session. They gained XP for each day of investigation (50XP), for each important place visited (temple, prison, castle, etc) (50XP), each important NPC they've met (50-100 XP), each rumor heard (25 XP), each clue found on Crime Scenes (25 XP) and some other important story based award (25-100 XP)

I expect them to finish the adventure in 1 other session. They seem happy with this ratio of growth. I expect further adventures to take more sessions, like at least 4 sessions for level 2 quest, 5 sessions for level 3, and so on.
This way they should reach level 5 and their final adventure in around 20 sessions. Which should take us to November. :mrgreen:
Author of Arcanix RPG - fantasy medieval d6 system
learn more :
http://arcanixrpg.webs.com

Return to “DCC RPG General”