Progression of levels

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, michaelcurtis, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Post Reply
User avatar
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal
Posts: 1127
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2004 4:30 pm
Location: In a galaxy far, far, away (Missouri)

Progression of levels

Post by JediOre » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:52 am

Joseph, Harley, et. al.,

Hey guys, I'm curious about the anticipated rate of leveling in DCC RPG. Roughly how many of your DCC modules would you expect a party of PCs to venture through before moving up a level?

For example, let's say a party of six 1st level PCs enter into DCC #1, Idylls of the Rat King. Following that they venture to Wildsgate in DCC #28, Into the Wilds, and finally finish their journeys in DCC #45, Malice of the Medusa.

Assuming all the PCs survive, what level should they be? In AD&D and/or Castles & Crusades, I would figure they would be a mix of levels two and three. In 3.X, I would guess most would be at or near 4th or 5th level.

Thoughts?

User avatar
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
Posts: 2486
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:42 am
FLGS: Fair Game
Location: Chicago suburbs
Contact:

Re: Progression of levels

Post by finarvyn » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:25 pm

My guess is that switching a 0-5 game scale to a 0-10 game scale has messed up any of Joseph's original rate of advancement. If he has a new one, I've not heard about it. :(
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson

User avatar
CinderellaManJJ
Far-Sighted Wanderer
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Progression of levels

Post by CinderellaManJJ » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:41 pm

Is DCC only planned for 10 levels? If so, what would the breakdown of low, medium and high levels be considered? Everybody's been talking about 0-5 and 6-10; mostly a low/high situation if 10 is a cap.
Follow Your Bliss,

JJ

blog, facebook, twitter

meinvt
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
Posts: 261
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:05 pm
Location: Central Vermont

Re: Progression of levels

Post by meinvt » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:29 pm

It is planned for levels 0-10. It was originally planned to be levels 0-5 initially, but customer feedback prompted Joseph to go to 10 levels. I'm not sure what the low/med/high question means. If it means, is there a point where play is intended to dramatically shift because you've reached a particular level, like it does in modern versions of D&D, I haven't heard any indication that is the case.

User avatar
CinderellaManJJ
Far-Sighted Wanderer
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Progression of levels

Post by CinderellaManJJ » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:32 pm

meinvt wrote:I'm not sure what the low/med/high question means. If it means, is there a point where play is intended to dramatically shift because you've reached a particular level, like it does in modern versions of D&D, I haven't heard any indication that is the case.
Yes, even with Basic D&D there were distinct level-based thresholds that were crossed by the characters: moving from dungeons to wilderness adventures, taking control of territories, seeking immortality. 10 levels doesn't leave much room for that so that was my reason for asking.

It does sound like Joseph is looking at the larger progression of characters from adventurers to movers and shakers, but that may have to wait for one of the annuals.
Follow Your Bliss,

JJ

blog, facebook, twitter

Black Dougal
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
Posts: 258
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:36 pm
FLGS: Total Escape Games, Broomfield CO
Location: Denver, Colorado
Contact:

Re: Progression of levels

Post by Black Dougal » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:25 pm

Joseph once said on the forums that he expected a character to require one full year playing every week, that is 52 sessions to get to 5th level.

I hope that helps.
"The Black Dougal" (formerly known as dkeester) -- DCCRPG Fan Boy since 2010
DCCRPG PC Death Toll: 25

DCCRPG Playtests: Tacticon 2010, GenghisCon 2011, Tacticon 2011, GenghisCon 2012
Member: The DCC Expendables (Denver, CO)

Doug may very well hold the dubious title of “most DCC RPG PCs lost during the course of convention play.”
--Harley Stroh

User avatar
CinderellaManJJ
Far-Sighted Wanderer
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Progression of levels

Post by CinderellaManJJ » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:34 pm

Certainly seems to be designed for long term play; I like that. Looking forward to see how it plays out ;)

This made me think, it's easy to imagine what low level characters would be like, but what about the pinnacle? Would a 10th level character be like Conan at the end of his career, mortal, but still very knowledgeable and powerful based on his years of experience?
Follow Your Bliss,

JJ

blog, facebook, twitter

User avatar
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock
Posts: 921
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:26 pm
Location: the Towers of Carcosa

Re: Progression of levels

Post by Ogrepuppy » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:47 am

meinvt wrote:It is planned for levels 0-10.
Does that mean we'll get DLC that adds a crummy map, 5 hours of game play and raises the level cap, too?

:lol:

(sorry--video game humor =/= RPG humor)

User avatar
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
Posts: 2486
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:42 am
FLGS: Fair Game
Location: Chicago suburbs
Contact:

Re: Progression of levels

Post by finarvyn » Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:35 am

CinderellaManJJ wrote:it's easy to imagine what low level characters would be like, but what about the pinnacle? Would a 10th level character be like Conan at the end of his career, mortal, but still very knowledgeable and powerful based on his years of experience?
YYou might look at some old "level" threads, as this has been discussed several times already.

Joseph's original plan was for levels 0-5 and so far I don't think anyone has seen anything official for 6-10.

Using the 1974 OD&D rules as a baseline, level 4 was "hero" and level 8 "super hero." I suspect we're looking at a similar level range here. In my mind a "hero" might be part of a group (like the Fellowship in LotR) but a "super hero" would be more of a loner (like Conan).
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson

User avatar
CinderellaManJJ
Far-Sighted Wanderer
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Progression of levels

Post by CinderellaManJJ » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:09 am

finarvyn wrote:Using the 1974 OD&D rules as a baseline, level 4 was "hero" and level 8 "super hero." I suspect we're looking at a similar level range here. In my mind a "hero" might be part of a group (like the Fellowship in LotR) but a "super hero" would be more of a loner (like Conan).
Ok, that makes sense. I'll go back and look at my OD&D books for a frame of reference. I haven't work my way thru all the older threads yet. I'll make the level ones my first stop. Thanks.
Follow Your Bliss,

JJ

blog, facebook, twitter

Black Dougal
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
Posts: 258
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:36 pm
FLGS: Total Escape Games, Broomfield CO
Location: Denver, Colorado
Contact:

Re: Progression of levels

Post by Black Dougal » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:24 pm

CinderellaManJJ wrote:
finarvyn wrote:Using the 1974 OD&D rules as a baseline, level 4 was "hero" and level 8 "super hero." I suspect we're looking at a similar level range here. In my mind a "hero" might be part of a group (like the Fellowship in LotR) but a "super hero" would be more of a loner (like Conan).
Ok, that makes sense. I'll go back and look at my OD&D books for a frame of reference. I haven't work my way thru all the older threads yet. I'll make the level ones my first stop. Thanks.

You might start here:
http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/vie ... 83&start=0

I linked a couple of related threads in that one.
"The Black Dougal" (formerly known as dkeester) -- DCCRPG Fan Boy since 2010
DCCRPG PC Death Toll: 25

DCCRPG Playtests: Tacticon 2010, GenghisCon 2011, Tacticon 2011, GenghisCon 2012
Member: The DCC Expendables (Denver, CO)

Doug may very well hold the dubious title of “most DCC RPG PCs lost during the course of convention play.”
--Harley Stroh

User avatar
CinderellaManJJ
Far-Sighted Wanderer
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Progression of levels

Post by CinderellaManJJ » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:06 pm

dkeester wrote:You might start here:
http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/vie ... 83&start=0

I linked a couple of related threads in that one.
Many thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
Follow Your Bliss,

JJ

blog, facebook, twitter

fjw70
Wild-Eyed Zealot
Posts: 96
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:50 am

Re: Progression of levels

Post by fjw70 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:39 am

Is this game planning to use a standard XP progression for all classes like 3/4e?

User avatar
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
Posts: 2486
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:42 am
FLGS: Fair Game
Location: Chicago suburbs
Contact:

Re: Progression of levels

Post by finarvyn » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:17 am

fjw70 wrote:Is this game planning to use a standard XP progression for all classes like 3/4e?
No, although it has been suggested and some of us prefer a standard XP chart. I think that the majority like the idea that each class is different and so each class should have its own XP progression.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson

User avatar
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal
Posts: 1127
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2004 4:30 pm
Location: In a galaxy far, far, away (Missouri)

Re: Progression of levels

Post by JediOre » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:11 am

dkeester wrote:Joseph once said on the forums that he expected a character to require one full year playing every week, that is 52 sessions to get to 5th level.

I hope that helps.
That hints at an answer to my original question. Does anyone know where on the boards Joseph wrote this?

fjw70
Wild-Eyed Zealot
Posts: 96
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:50 am

Re: Progression of levels

Post by fjw70 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:55 am

finarvyn wrote:
fjw70 wrote:Is this game planning to use a standard XP progression for all classes like 3/4e?
No, although it has been suggested and some of us prefer a standard XP chart. I think that the majority like the idea that each class is different and so each class should have its own XP progression.
Ah, I see the XP table in the rules now. I missed it the first time through.

Post Reply

Return to “DCC RPG General”