FREE RPG DAY sucked rope.

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, michaelcurtis, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Post Reply
ericphillips
Ill-Fated Peasant
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:58 pm

FREE RPG DAY sucked rope.

Post by ericphillips » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:02 pm

My wife really really wanted a copy of the Goodman Games DCC RPG Quickstart. I realize I may not have gotten what she wanted, but I
thought I'd try at my FLGS. I had to be at a meeting at 11 am, but I left really early and went to Brookhurst Hobbies in Garden Grove, CA.

I get there, they make about 50 of us wait out back in the alley because the store was overfull. Fine, I understand fire code. Then we
waited, and waited. I was told by the guy behind the desk that "guy with the boxes" hasn't shown up and they don't know when he will, as
they can't get a hold of him.

He never arrived before I had to leave. I even pushed it, leaving at 10:45, was late for my meeting, and was generally not so happy as I had no time to go to any other store.

Will the Quickstart with the adventures be available for download so my wife can be happy?

User avatar
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
Posts: 2489
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:42 am
FLGS: Fair Game
Location: Chicago suburbs
Contact:

Re: FREE RPG DAY sucked rope.

Post by finarvyn » Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:19 am

Sorry about the hassle. I didn't go to the Free RPG Day at my ususal store but picked a new one instead. A crazy place, all right.

The problem is that the store folks should have had those boxes ready right away, not have anyone deliver them later in the day. And it's really hard for game stores to anticipate the demand. I know that the store in Mt. Prospect, IL, usually has a line out the door, with each person getting to select one item. Madness.

Joseph Goodman has stated that the DCC starter module will be availible online for download in a week or so. He wanted to give game stores an "exclusive" for a few days to help promote Free RPG Day.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson

ericphillips
Ill-Fated Peasant
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:58 pm

Re: FREE RPG DAY sucked rope.

Post by ericphillips » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:21 am

Harley:

Thanks for the offer to send it to my wife, however, I cannot PM you with the address because I am not yet authorized to use PMs (it wants me to post more). Do you have an e-mail i can send it to?

Thanks

User avatar
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
Posts: 2489
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:42 am
FLGS: Fair Game
Location: Chicago suburbs
Contact:

Re: FREE RPG DAY sucked rope.

Post by finarvyn » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:27 am

ericphillips wrote:I cannot PM you with the address because I am not yet authorized to use PMs (it wants me to post more).
I think the restriction goes away at 3 posts, so you're 2/3 of the way there!
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson

ericphillips
Ill-Fated Peasant
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:58 pm

Re: FREE RPG DAY sucked rope.

Post by ericphillips » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:29 am

finarvyn wrote:
ericphillips wrote:I cannot PM you with the address because I am not yet authorized to use PMs (it wants me to post more).
I think the restriction goes away at 3 posts, so you're 2/3 of the way there!
I am not good at math. So now I am 3/4 of the way there? lol

User avatar
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
Posts: 2489
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:42 am
FLGS: Fair Game
Location: Chicago suburbs
Contact:

Re: FREE RPG DAY sucked rope.

Post by finarvyn » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:34 am

ericphillips wrote:
finarvyn wrote:
ericphillips wrote:I cannot PM you with the address because I am not yet authorized to use PMs (it wants me to post more).
I think the restriction goes away at 3 posts, so you're 2/3 of the way there!
I am not good at math. So now I am 3/4 of the way there? lol
7/8, actually. We keep changing the rules. :wink:
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson

screenmonkey
Far-Sighted Wanderer
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:43 pm

Re: FREE RPG DAY sucked rope.

Post by screenmonkey » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:29 pm

Uh, not to rub salt in wounds, but Free RPG day in Wichita KS kicked 10 kinds of @$$. I got my DCC, and could have had AFMBE, Savage Worlds, etc. Plenty of people, even more free rpgs. =)

And I showed up at 3 in the afternoon, I thought everything would be gone.

Summer-Knight925
Ill-Fated Peasant
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:26 pm

Re: FREE RPG DAY sucked rope.

Post by Summer-Knight925 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:51 pm

at the store I went too, the turnout was 10 people (2 characters each) and with only 6 deaths (yay for farm animals finding the traps!!!) but needless to say it was a good game, I believe that DCCRPG has the potential to be better than Pathfinder, however, I feel as though the strongest element of it (at least for 0-lvl adventures) lies in a large group, the zaniness of it all that a large group is, an outgoing ref and enough personality to go around the table three times. DCCRPG is a party game, while perhaps not the high-school party type party, but one where you get ten people to show up ready to explore (and most likely die) in a dungeon.

Also we did not use miniatures and I think that added to the retro feel, it was good to get off the table and into your mind.

the only flaw I felt was a lack of basic skills (granted those are up to the ref what 'skill' is used) and treasure, sure we aren't suppose to get rich at 0-lvl, but enough spears to go around would be nice.

I give the beta rules a 4 out of 5

it could easily be a 5 out of 5 if there were treasure tables for the ref, large group sizes (more characters per dungeon) and actually more combat, I felt the traps weakened the party, but not enough monsters to eat us all.

Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal
Posts: 1804
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 4:02 am
Location: On the run.
Contact:

Re: FREE RPG DAY sucked rope.

Post by Harley Stroh » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:04 pm

ericphillips wrote:Harley:

Thanks for the offer to send it to my wife, however, I cannot PM you with the address because I am not yet authorized to use PMs (it wants me to post more). Do you have an e-mail i can send it to?

Thanks
No worries. I stopped by the post office this afternoon. Hopefully my meager photocopy can make things (closer to) right.

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.

User avatar
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock
Posts: 921
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:26 pm
Location: the Towers of Carcosa

Re: FREE RPG DAY sucked rope.

Post by Ogrepuppy » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:13 pm

Harley Stroh wrote:I stopped by the post office this afternoon. Hopefully my meager photocopy can make things (closer to) right.
You've been making right for a lot of people today, Harley.

Thanks.

arcadayn
Wild-Eyed Zealot
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:39 pm

Re: FREE RPG DAY sucked rope.

Post by arcadayn » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:31 pm

Yep, I've whined about it elsewhere, but I ran into the same issue. Showed up at 1/2 an hour after the store opened and pretty much everything was gone. They said they only got five copies of the DCC starter. :(

ericphillips
Ill-Fated Peasant
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:58 pm

Re: FREE RPG DAY sucked rope.

Post by ericphillips » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:45 pm

arcadayn wrote:Yep, I've whined about it elsewhere, but I ran into the same issue. Showed up at 1/2 an hour after the store opened and pretty much everything was gone. They said they only got five copies of the DCC starter. :(
This was a little different. I got there early and the boxes of free stuff never came. I had to be at a meeting at 11, and left at 10:45, and was late for the meeting. The people at the store had no idea where the guy with the boxes were. I realize my chance of getting it was low, but it became nil because of their mistake.

cnath.rm
Far-Sighted Wanderer
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: Hiawatha, IA

Re: FREE RPG DAY sucked rope.

Post by cnath.rm » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:48 pm

finarvyn wrote:Joseph Goodman has stated that the DCC starter module will be availible online for download in a week or so. He wanted to give game stores an "exclusive" for a few days to help promote Free RPG Day.
Thank you for answering the question I was going to ask. :)

Sadly no store within 100+ miles of me was participating, and even if they were the Sat thing would have prevented me from going. (Next year maybe I can bribe one of my local stores to participate :D )

User avatar
eatmyjustice
Ill-Fated Peasant
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:03 am
Location: Indiana

Re: FREE RPG DAY sucked rope.

Post by eatmyjustice » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:24 pm

Nothing near me either... I'm waiting too. I have seen them on ebay already for about $15-$20, but I'm going to wait.
"Arthur, that belt is a fashion accessory of evil, and evil is never in fashion."
-The Tick

Aromaz
Gongfarmer
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:53 pm

Re: FREE RPG DAY sucked rope.

Post by Aromaz » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:17 pm

Hey ericphillips,

I fell your frustration as I was at Brookhurst Hobbies also. I also wanted the Goodman Games DCC RPG Quickstart and the reason I went. What you said did happen and it was a free for all once they put on table . Many ignored the one item rule and the small quantity item went fast. :( I am waiting for it to be online but sad I didn't get my hands on it.

:D On a positive side, i overheard someone who got it said he would run a game on on July Hobby day at Knights of Columbus Hall in July.

User avatar
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
Posts: 2489
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:42 am
FLGS: Fair Game
Location: Chicago suburbs
Contact:

Re: FREE RPG DAY sucked rope.

Post by finarvyn » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:45 am

eatmyjustice wrote:Nothing near me either... I'm waiting too. I have seen them on ebay already for about $15-$20, but I'm going to wait.
I haven't checked e-bay but I'm not at all surprised, based on the curiosity/enthusiasm I've seen online compared to the limited number. Just keep telling yourself that you can save that money by being patient and waiting, with a download of the same thing on the horizon.... 8)
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson

ericphillips
Ill-Fated Peasant
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:58 pm

Re: FREE RPG DAY sucked rope.

Post by ericphillips » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:45 am

Aromaz wrote::D On a positive side, i overheard someone who got it said he would run a game on on July Hobby day at Knights of Columbus Hall in July.
Awesome. Also, the Dead Gamers Society is running a DCC one shot this coming Sunday at the Dicehouse in Fullerton. Glad to see the enthusiasm. Too bad I will be in Arizona during the July Hobby Day.

arcadayn
Wild-Eyed Zealot
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:39 pm

Re: FREE RPG DAY sucked rope.

Post by arcadayn » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:27 am

ericphillips wrote:
arcadayn wrote:Yep, I've whined about it elsewhere, but I ran into the same issue. Showed up at 1/2 an hour after the store opened and pretty much everything was gone. They said they only got five copies of the DCC starter. :(
This was a little different. I got there early and the boxes of free stuff never came. I had to be at a meeting at 11, and left at 10:45, and was late for the meeting. The people at the store had no idea where the guy with the boxes were. I realize my chance of getting it was low, but it became nil because of their mistake.
That is extremely irritating!

They had the box of stuff at my store the week prior. I went there and asked them if they were going to be participating and the guy opened up the box and showed me the DCC Starter. I should have grabbed it and ran! :wink:

User avatar
reverenddak
Moderator
Posts: 768
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:04 am
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Re: FREE RPG DAY sucked rope.

Post by reverenddak » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:30 pm

My FREE RPG DAY was OK. No one cared about the DCC RPG. Barely anyone cared about the RPGs at my FLGS. Most people were there for some new Magic release. I was there for 2 hours and I easily could have grabbed one of everything. I guess Magic is still more popular than D&D. In fact I got kicked out of my FLGS for wearing an offensive t-shirt (don't ask.) But I still walked out with 2 things. (Was supposed to be 1 per person.) (the other thing I grabbed was for Dragon Age... I should have grabbed either the Arcanis or Cthulhu...)
Reverend Dakota Jesus Ultimak, S.S.M.o.t.S.M.S., D.M.

(Dungeon) Master In Chief of Crawl! fanzine. - http://www.crawlfanzine.com/

"[...] there is no doubt that Dungeons and Dragons and its imitators are right out of the pit of hell." - William Schnoebelen, Straight talk on Dungeons & Dragons

goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal
Posts: 2703
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2002 12:41 pm
Location: San Jose, CA

Re: FREE RPG DAY sucked rope.

Post by goodmangames » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:20 pm

The Free RPG Day Adventure Starter should be available tomorrow at the various PDF sites, as well as the Goodman Games online store ( www.goodman-games.com/store.html ). The exact timing will vary by site (I believe RPGNow goes live at midnight, not sure about Paizo or E23) but sometime Wednesday you should be good!
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com

CEBrown
Far-Sighted Wanderer
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:09 am

Re: FREE RPG DAY sucked rope.

Post by CEBrown » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:39 am

ericphillips wrote:My wife really really wanted a copy of the Goodman Games DCC RPG Quickstart. I realize I may not have gotten what she wanted, but I
thought I'd try at my FLGS. I had to be at a meeting at 11 am, but I left really early and went to Brookhurst Hobbies in Garden Grove, CA.

I get there, they make about 50 of us wait out back in the alley because the store was overfull. Fine, I understand fire code. Then we
waited, and waited. I was told by the guy behind the desk that "guy with the boxes" hasn't shown up and they don't know when he will, as
they can't get a hold of him.

He never arrived before I had to leave. I even pushed it, leaving at 10:45, was late for my meeting, and was generally not so happy as I had no time to go to any other store.

Will the Quickstart with the adventures be available for download so my wife can be happy?
Wow. The store I went to is actually RE-RUNNING Free RPGDay this weekend (both days) because they barely had the store full and had a lot of stuff left over (even after I grabbed almost one of everything!)
'Course t hat doesn't do much good if you're not near Danvers, Massachusetts but still... :(

Post Reply

Return to “DCC RPG General”