Why no "WIS" Wisdom stat

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Gwarh
Far-Sighted Wanderer
Location: Currently Greyhawk City, waiting for teleport to Aererth

Why no "WIS" Wisdom stat

Post by Gwarh »

Just a question is all, not a critique or critisisim. So why did you decide to go with no Wisdom stat?

P.S. if this has been answered elseware please link me to the thread. I did a search of the forum and couldn't find anything other than the Luck stat replacing Wisdom.
"Dirty Deeds, Done! Dirt!! Cheap!!!"
a.k.a. Thuffer Mudfoot of the Hool Marsh Mudfoots (Greyhawk)
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Re: Why no "WIS" Wisdom stat

Post by finarvyn »

I haven't seen this discussed anywhere. A few ideas:

1. Wisdom tends to be less useful than many other stats. What do you do with it that you can't do with Intelligence? Both sort of fill similar roles in a fantasy RPG.

2. The idea of "six basic stats" seems pretty standard. Once you add luck, something has to go.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Gwarh
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Gwarh »

but think about the Clerics, the CLERICS good man!
jmucchiello
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by jmucchiello »

I see no reason to feel beholden to Six stats. I see no reason to keep personality (charisma) over wisdom. Why not just call it "Mental" and avoid Intelligence being a general dump stat for non-wizards/elves? If there were henchmen rules, I could see personality staying.
ogbendog
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by ogbendog »

Clerics use Personality (aka Charisma), which works for me
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

ogbendog wrote:Clerics use Personality (aka Charisma), which works for me
Actually, personality (which can be thought of as "force of will" to influence people) seems to work as well as Wisdom or better.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Gwarh
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Gwarh »

truth be told I was a bit skeptical of the change at first. But I guess I could come around to personality/charisma for Clerics.

It certainly would help if a Cleric was charismatic to sway followers and convert heathans. Course not every Priest is charismatic, but then again that just means he has a Charisma of between 9-12 ;-).
screenmonkey
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by screenmonkey »

ok, but how do I explain to my players that, since no skills like Notice exist, Luck is used for sensory perception checks like Listen?
numenetics
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by numenetics »

screenmonkey wrote:ok, but how do I explain to my players that, since no skills like Notice exist, Luck is used for sensory perception checks like Listen?
Listening is a good question. Not being sure the best way to go, and not being fully comfortable with luck as listen, I defaulted to D6 for listening at the door. If you're doing it as luck would it just be like a DC10 luck check? Seems weird, but not something I couldn't get used to. I guess there's an element of luck in happening to listen when the baddies coughed, laughed, or said something on the other side?
ogbendog
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by ogbendog »

Gwarh wrote:truth be told I was a bit skeptical of the change at first. But I guess I could come around to personality/charisma for Clerics.

It certainly would help if a Cleric was charismatic to sway followers and convert heathans. Course not every Priest is charismatic, but then again that just means he has a Charisma of between 9-12 ;-).
I figured it was more about persuading your patron to listen to you
meinvt
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by meinvt »

In my experience the wisdom of the character, far more than any other stat, is dependent on how they are played by the player. Do low wisdom characters really do unwise things significantly more often? It is hard to play that way.

Also, it is probably unwise to follow certain gods, but that doesn't mean they can't have powerful and influential clerics!

One session in and I'm already not missing wisdom. [And I never quite got how it made you better at perception anyway.]
Hamel™
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Hamel™ »

IMHO Wisdom has just been splitted between Intelligence and Personality.
screenmonkey wrote:ok, but how do I explain to my players that, since no skills like Notice exist
You have no Notice but you have Spotting, under Intelligence.
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

Wisdom and Charisma were the typical dump stats - they weren't that important (especially before 3e), like i.e. Dexterity. Merging them gives us a more useful Personality stat, I think.
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
Gwarh
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Gwarh »

ogbendog wrote:
Gwarh wrote:truth be told I was a bit skeptical of the change at first. But I guess I could come around to personality/charisma for Clerics.

I figured it was more about persuading your patron to listen to you
Easy tiger.

I'm sure Mr. Goodman has a good reason why he decided to not go with a Wisdom stat. I always enjoy seeing the curtain pulled back and hearing why designers choose to add this, remove that from a ruleset.

I'm just being honest. I was a bit taken aback by it, but I wouldn't be as interested as I am in the DCC RPG if I wasn't flexible either. I'm more than happy to be persuaded myself :D
visitor19
Gongfarmer

Post by visitor19 »

I say good riddance to WIS. Personality seems a perfectly good fit for clerics. All in all I like that DCC doesnt try to kill off sacred cows of the D&D type game but changes expectations or embellishes stuff that existed in the game before.
mudpyr8
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by mudpyr8 »

The question is - what is dramatically interesting? Is it part of the narrative to do a listen check for every door?

Going by OD&D as a guide (which was 1 in 6), everyone had about DC 18 to listen through a door, which makes DC 10 when not through a door sensible as well.

If you don't like modifying by LUK, use INT - probably more appropriate.

Me, I intend to have Luck modify all Skill checks since they won't happen all that often and I think it doesn't upset the balance of the game. If someone has '10 - Born Under the Loom' they add twice their bonus to each Skill check.
Legendsmiths presents: Narosia * Sea of Tears, a complete fantasy setting for the Hero System. Visit www.narosia.com

Return to “DCC RPG General”