DCC Character Sheet?

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Ze Groupe
Wild-Eyed Zealot

DCC Character Sheet?

Post by Ze Groupe »

Hi all,

Has there been a preview of the character sheet put up anywhere as yet?

If there hasn't can anyone show me one?

Cheers.
Stainless
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Re: DCC Character Sheet?

Post by Stainless »

Not an official one, but based off of one;

http://peoplethemwithmonsters.blogspot. ... sheet.html
Avatar by Stefan Poag (I now own the original!)
Ze Groupe
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Ze Groupe »

Thats looks fantastic!

Just one thing, i note there is no place for Race on that? IS DCC Race as Class, or is it just an omission?

Thanks again.
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Class is race. You're a dwarf, or a wizard.

The beta rules include character sheets. I use one "standard" one for all 0-level characters, then there is a separate, slightly different character sheet version for each class which the 0-level characters can "graduate" to if they survive their first dungeon.

The class sheets contain the relevant rules for each class, which in playtests usually makes it a lot easier for each player to learn the rules of their particular class.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Ze Groupe
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Ze Groupe »

Race as Class is sweet in my books, and thanks for the quick reply.

I look forward to tomorrow!

Oh and as an aside, i love the idea of Magic Users actually using/needing a real life "spellbook" which was mentioned in another thread!
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

The peoplethemwithmonsters sheet is awesome! Very cool.

Joseph has also created 0-level sheets, and class specific sheets. (Very helpful for clerics and thieves.) I'll see if we can't host them in anticipation of the beta release.

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Forewarned: I have a DCC RPG Beta Character Sheet Beta worked up, and once I can review the Beta rules, I'll be setting up a link in the forums (or maybe my sig?).
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Ze Groupe
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Ze Groupe »

Harley Stroh wrote:The peoplethemwithmonsters sheet is awesome! Very cool.

Joseph has also created 0-level sheets, and class specific sheets. (Very helpful for clerics and thieves.) I'll see if we can't host them in anticipation of the beta release.

//H
Yes please!
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

GnomeBoy wrote:Forewarned: I have a DCC RPG Beta Character Sheet Beta worked up, and once I can review the Beta rules, I'll be setting up a link in the forums (or maybe my sig?).
The more the better. And I have always loved your character sheets, GB. You have a flair for the old school.

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
jmucchiello
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by jmucchiello »

Ze Groupe wrote:Race as Class
Still not a fan of this. It's one of the reasons I can't get RC to the table. Too many friends think this it is stupid that all Elves are the SAME and all dwarves are the SAME.
moes1980
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by moes1980 »

jmucchiello wrote:
Still not a fan of this. It's one of the reasons I can't get RC to the table. Too many friends think this it is stupid that all Elves are the SAME and all dwarves are the SAME.
Yeah, I will miss playing my dwarven fighter/thief and it will be a hurddle for convincing some players to defect to this game (my brother is going to miss the gnome, he loves playing gnomes). Maybe in Advanced 2nd edidition dungeon crawl classic (ADCCRPG) :P Or the options will be there in a dungeon crawl classics rules encylopdeida (DCCRPGRE). Or, publish Appendex A: Optional Rules (DCCRPGAAOR). Could release all of them togather as a package and call it the dungeon crawl classics compleat box set (DCCRPGCBS). Make it a collectors limited edition....(DCCRPGCBSLE)

Ok, im done playing around, I really look foward to doing some old school gaming.

:D less than 7 hours and counting from where I am sitting :D !

DISCLAIMER: I don't think any staff of Goodman Games has actually said it will be posted at midnight, unless I missed it somewhere. I am just being hopeful!
reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

Although I'm totally cool with the Class as Race rules, I don't think it would be too hard to separate the two. OD&D with its supplements did it pretty (fairly) well. If you pick up a copy of any Oe or Basic version and compare it to Advanced, you can see how they did it. Basically nerf them in one way, and buff them in another. Arbitrary level limits are always fun too.
Reverend Dakota Jesus Ultimak, S.S.M.o.t.S.M.S., D.M.

(Dungeon) Master In Chief of Crawl! fanzine. - http://www.crawlfanzine.com/

"[...] there is no doubt that Dungeons and Dragons and its imitators are right out of the pit of hell." - William Schnoebelen, Straight talk on Dungeons & Dragons
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

jmucchiello wrote:
Unless something has changed, it's Race as Occupation at Level 0, and if you are an Elf or a Dwarf, you have the option to take the appropriate racial Class or another Class (Ftr, M-U, Thf, Clr), as you prefer...
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

GnomeBoy wrote:Unless something has changed, it's Race as Occupation at Level 0, and if you are an Elf or a Dwarf, you have the option to take the appropriate racial Class or another Class (Ftr, M-U, Thf, Clr), as you prefer...
orly?! iiiiiiiiinteresting. (I haven't seen the rules, i can't wait for tomorrow...)

"[...] there is no doubt that Dungeons and Dragons and its imitators are right out of the pit of hell." - William Schnoebelen, Straight talk on Dungeons & Dragons
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

reverenddak wrote:Although I'm totally cool with the Class as Race rules, I don't think it would be too hard to separate the two. OD&D with its supplements did it pretty (fairly) well.
And did it first, I might add. The whole Race=Class thing didn't come until a few years after OD&D, which is why some folks still don't think it's the "right" way to play. Personally, I find that non-humans do tend to be quite similar so that making them a class isn't a problem.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

GnomeBoy wrote:Unless something has changed, it's Race as Occupation at Level 0, and if you are an Elf or a Dwarf, you have the option to take the appropriate racial Class or another Class (Ftr, M-U, Thf, Clr), as you prefer...
Still current. You get non-human status only though an initial die roll, but at 1st level you have to choose whether you want to go the "generic" race option or a specific class option (and if you pick a specific class you act as if you were human even if your character sheet says "elf" or whatever on it).
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Aplus
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Aplus »

moes1980 wrote:Yeah, I will miss playing my dwarven fighter/thief and it will be a hurddle for convincing some players to defect to this game (my brother is going to miss the gnome, he loves playing gnomes).
I've never understood why players never seem to be happy with making a fighter, wizard, or whatever, writing "gnome" or "orc" on their sheet, and calling it a day.

That being said, this game just begs for fan content, so expect to see tons of fan-created spells, races, classes, etc. In reading it, it felt very much like a complete game with a number of nice, neatly compartmentalized subsystems that make it so taking stuff out or adding stuff in won't break the game, since it doesn't have all of those circular dependencies that 3E/4E have.

P.S. - I was born in 1980 too, assuming that's what your username signifies. Go 80's!
Check out my DCC Resources Page for cool stuff!
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

jmucchiello wrote:
They're not all the same. The core rules have a class called dwarf. I am waiting for the enterprising young 3PP publisher who will post some other dwarf classes: the dwarf runemaster, the dwarven defender, the dwarven assassin...

"Race as class" doesn't mean you can't also create classes that are configurations of different class/race rules. It doesn't mean every elf is the same. It just means the basic rules are a heck of a lot easier to learn for new folks, and the advanced players can continue to add complexity as they see fit.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

goodmangames wrote:"Race as class" doesn't mean you can't also create classes that are configurations of different class/race rules. It doesn't mean every elf is the same. It just means the basic rules are a heck of a lot easier to learn for new folks, and the advanced players can continue to add complexity as they see fit.
Thank you. It's worth repeating, even though to some of us it goes without saying. I'm already thinking up "Advanced DCC" stuff. And I'm sure someone will have it published before I get done with drafting elves.

jmucchiello
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by jmucchiello »

goodmangames wrote:They're not all the same. The core rules have a class called dwarf. I am waiting for the enterprising young 3PP publisher who will post some other dwarf classes: the dwarf runemaster, the dwarven defender, the dwarven assassin...
I'd love to do so. The game just begs for exploring what else can you do with an action die. But I need your help. You need to name the Dwarf class something beside "Dwarf" Call it a Guardian or something. Call the Elf a Forest Warden. In fact, it would be nice if the Elf "magic" were less patron based and had more a more faerie feel. Let the humans treat with dark forces.

I also plan to make a Gnome race, smaller than hobbits, of course: knee high.
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

jmucchiello wrote: In fact, it would be nice if the Elf "magic" were less patron based and had more a more faerie feel. Let the humans treat with dark forces.
Patrons don't have to be "dark forces". They could just as well be nature spirits, the King of Unicorns, the World Tree, or whatever other elemental forces you can make up.

Also, I think someone like Elric could be considered an "elf" in DCC RPG terms: a member of an ancient non-human race equally good at war and magic. Depending on what sort of setting you want to use, you can easily re-skin the races.
Dieter Zimmerman
[[Faceless Minion of the Dark Master]]
reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

jmucchiello wrote:The game just begs for exploring what else can you do with an action die.
I LOVE the Action Die! Specifically a variable die for checks. It's the best innovation to d20 i've seen in a while. It's not just d20 anymore--literally and figuratively!
jmucchiello wrote:But I need your help. You need to name the Dwarf class something beside "Dwarf" Call it a Guardian or something. Call the Elf a Forest Warden.
I posted something similar on a different thread. And the "Classes" I thought up are totally generic, but different that the basic "human" classes:

Dwarf Fighter
Elf Magic-user
Halfling Rogue

All are OGL friendly, less confusing, and totally what they are. i.e. elves still can use weapons, but the ALSO "use magic".

jmucchiello
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by jmucchiello »

mythfish wrote:
jmucchiello wrote: In fact, it would be nice if the Elf "magic" were less patron based and had more a more faerie feel. Let the humans treat with dark forces.
Patrons don't have to be "dark forces". They could just as well be nature spirits, the King of Unicorns, the World Tree, or whatever other elemental forces you can make up.
Have you seen the negative affects of corruption? The King of Unicorns should not cause you limbs to turn into suckered tentacles (-7 on the corruption chart). There should some option other than corruption for an alternate spell system. The current system really is geared toward the magic of Lieber's Nehwon and Lovecraft's Cthulhu and not at all toward de Camp's Shea at all.
Hamel™
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Hamel™ »

jmucchiello wrote:Have you seen the negative affects of corruption? The King of Unicorns should not cause you limbs to turn into suckered tentacles (-7 on the corruption chart). There should some option other than corruption for an alternate spell system.
IMHO you don't need other options.

Just think out of the box, changing only the shape: The King of Unicorns could turn your limbs into vines or roots, in a very similar way to shambling mound's appendages. :mrgreen:

Different shape, same effect. :wink:

That's the same thing you can do with the Stinking Cloud: not so stylish for an Elf, so just call it Floral Haze and make it stylish enough. :o
jmucchiello
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by jmucchiello »

So why can't you ask for magic from good beings who would not corrupt you at all? Maybe their magic is less potent, as in the path to darkside is easier. Who knows. But the option right now doesn't exist.

What if I want a spell system more like the magic of Marvel's Dr. Strange. Arguably Dr. Strange is Appendix N influenced.

Return to “DCC RPG General”