Thieves and Patrons

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

IronWolf
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Thieves and Patrons

Post by IronWolf »

I have a thief in my online campaign that I run that would like bond to a patron, specifically Malotoch (a.k.a. Carrion Crow Goddess, the Mother of Ruin, the Mistress Defiler, or the Crow Witch). I am fine with this but need some ideas of how to make this fun for the thief character.

I have *lots* of ideas as to how this could work poorly for the character, but I need some ideas for perks for them. Would it be "visions" that came to him to give him uncanny opportunities? Faster luck return if he follows her path? Maybe if he called upon her at certain times he could get a temporary bonus in the luck die size?
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Re: Thieves and Patrons

Post by mythfish »

If it were me, something as simple as a crow familiar would make me pretty happy.
Dieter Zimmerman
[[Faceless Minion of the Dark Master]]
Blood Axe
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: The Portal

Post by Blood Axe »

A crow familiar would be an awesome perk. A spy, distraction, etc. Especially if you could see thru its eyes or communicate with it.

A flock of crows attacking enemies, or providing a distraction so the Thief can escape sometime is another bonus.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
IronWolf
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by IronWolf »

The crow familiar idea does sound cool! Not too overpowering and actually already fits in with how I was going to have Malotoch make her presence and growing favor of the thief in question known. Instead of having the crow I have in mind go away after my use, I will just have it hang around. Should provide some interesting perk for the character.

Thanks all!
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

The crow could also evoke a "deepening of shadows" in a specific radius when Malotoch favors the thief's actions or to signify the patron's presence (e.g. 'you're on the right path to success' type hints).
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

Blood Axe wrote:A crow familiar would be an awesome perk. A spy, distraction, etc. Especially if you could see thru its eyes or communicate with it.

A flock of crows attacking enemies, or providing a distraction so the Thief can escape sometime is another bonus.
I love this idea, especially the murder of crows as a distraction to let the thief hide and stealth away from the scene of the crime.

Very evocative.

Great idea, Mythfish and Blood Axe!
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

IronWolf wrote:I have *lots* of ideas as to how this could work poorly for the character....
You have my undivided attention, sir; please continue.
dark cauliflower
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by dark cauliflower »

I'd make him wear a raven mask! That or a raven codpiece. You may think its crazy, but read Viriconium and you'll see how cool masks are in a fantasy setting. It's jarring at first but you'll eventually get into it.
Dark Cauliflower

--from deep night comes the cruciferiouz king!
Blood Axe
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: The Portal

Post by Blood Axe »

dark cauliflower wrote:I'd make him wear a raven mask! That or a raven codpiece. You may think its crazy, but read Viriconium and you'll see how cool masks are in a fantasy setting. It's jarring at first but you'll eventually get into it.

Hmmmm...what about a tattoo or scar, or other marking he cant hide as easily or take off, that shows his allegiance.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
dark cauliflower
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by dark cauliflower »

that'd work. Even more radical, have an appendage turn into a raven head. Could replace a fist, foot, weiner, head, ear, nose, etc.... black feathers sprout on the butt. Whenever the character speaks a raven squak(or something) comes out of his mouth. This does not replace normal speech but complements it.

That madness is unlimited!
Dark Cauliflower

--from deep night comes the cruciferiouz king!
ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by ragboy »

Also keep in mind that the patron dynamic is typically not just "what do I get?" The other side of the equation is "What's it going to cost me?"

AKA Paul Wolfe
The Mystic Bull: Check out our two FREE prehistoric adventures: The Steading of the Nergalites AND The Tribe of Ogg and the Gift of Suss
In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer (PDF) and softcover: 12 Short Adventures for DCC!
The God-Seed Awakens: 3rd Level Adventure for DCC. New patron, new spells, lots of new monsters and the living weapons of the Empire of Thal!
My Gamer Profile
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

ragboy wrote:Also keep in mind that the patron dynamic is typically not just "what do I get?" The other side of the equation is "What's it going to cost me?"

+1d24.

The patron bond spell should give you some idea of what sorts of things a patron might do, especially as you can use it to bond others. A crow that follows you around can be both helpful and ominous ("The Eye of Malotoch is always watching me!").

If you download this free adventure (http://d-h.st/K6k) (he said, plugging his own work), you can see how the ancient fruitcake acts as a minor patron of this sort, with the power to both help and harm he who eats it. Your patron can/should act in a similar way - here is what you get; now do this for me. Making a pact with even the most benign patron should be a devil's bargain that cuts both ways. And Malotoch is not the most benign of patrons.

Remember that you can load up the cool all you want, so long as it is balanced by the "What have I gotten myself into?" And patrons do not forgive unpaid debts. If Malotech can cloak the thief with shadows to help him sneak up on the castle guards, she can do the same for the assassins coming to convince the thief that he really does want to pay back what he owes her. And the crow that once helped fetch pretty baubles from open windows with such agility is now trying to peck out your eyes...... :twisted:
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
IronWolf
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by IronWolf »

ragboy wrote:Also keep in mind that the patron dynamic is typically not just "what do I get?" The other side of the equation is "What's it going to cost me?"
Definitely. Ideas of cost come up more readily during play for me! :twisted:

I have started with a crow providing a bit of direction to the party in general as they try to find their way out of a mountain region they found themselves "transported" to. When the group entered an underground section, the crow dove down, landed on the rogue's shoulder and has been perched there for the moment. The rogue is not real sure why that is, but he is accepting of it!

Return to “DCC RPG General”