Toad!!! - A.K.A the 5/21/2011 playtest session

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Black Dougal
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
FLGS: Total Escape Games, Broomfield CO

Toad!!! - A.K.A the 5/21/2011 playtest session

Post by Black Dougal »

It was another fantastic GMing job by Harley. If he is GMing you owe it to yourself to play in his game. He also seems to attract good roleplayers. Everyone at the table was fantastic. I hope that "The DCC Expendables" have many more adventures together.

I will try not to give too many spoilers in case the adventure ends up being published.

This one was a rather wet adventure to begin with, but quickly went from wet to cold. My Halfling, Milo Fogbottom, did not particularly enjoy the wet, stormy weather. He also didn't like having to save the wizard from drowning in the surf. Actually the cold bothered him too. I guess that one can't always adventure somewhere warm and tropical. :-)

The falling ice toads, and the eventual flying pieces of ice toads were no fun either. They weren't too hard to kill though. The charred pieces of ice toad were fun.

Good times.

I really enjoyed playing the Halfling. It was my first experience with the DCC version. I got quite a bit of mileage out of the two-weapon fighting rules for the class. I love the d16+d16 rule for attacks. It is great to be able to crit on a 16 and only to fumble when both dice roll 1. On one roll I rolled a 1 and a 16. No fumble! Yay! I still got to crit the toad I was attacking. I wasn't as effective as the fighter, but I did my fair share of damage in combat. I didn't try out the Luck rules for the class, but they sound like fun also. Halflings add their Luck modifier to all Saves. When they burn Luck to improve a roll they get 2 points instead of the normal 1. They can also burn their Luck to improve the rolls of others. (I assume this means they can add 2 points to that player's roll as if the player were enhancing the his own roll.) Oh, and they are stealthy. So, the class is somewhere between thief and fighter with a ton of Luck thrown in for good measure.

As for the other classes, we had: a wizard, a thief (R.I.P.), a dwarf, a fighter, and 2 clerics of Justicia (the "Sister Nuns" were cool, if a bit scary).

The wizard got off a couple of decent spells, but most of the time he couldn't cast to save his own life. No pun intended. The clerics did a bit better, but all those ones on the heal checks were very sad to see. In fact there were quite a number of fumbles around the table today. I guess it was just a low rolling sort of day.

I am looking forward to the next session. I really hope everyone can make it next Saturday.
"The Black Dougal" (formerly known as dkeester) -- DCCRPG Fan Boy since 2010
DCCRPG PC Death Toll: 25

DCCRPG Playtests: Tacticon 2010, GenghisCon 2011, Tacticon 2011, GenghisCon 2012
Member: The DCC Expendables (Denver, CO)

Doug may very well hold the dubious title of “most DCC RPG PCs lost during the course of convention play.”
--Harley Stroh
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Re: Toad!!! - A.K.A the 5/21/2011 playtest session

Post by Harley Stroh »

Don't forget we also lost the wizard to the white salamander. Everyone's first session of DCC should end in death. :twisted:

My only regret was that we didn't have another couple hours. The toads were indeed fun, especially the one exploded from within (best use of enlarge to date). The Sister Nuns were awesome; fear female gamers working in tandem.

I love that a new player was able to pick up on the spellcasting mechanic. While we never hit a corruption, he seemed to grok the process pretty quickly.

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Black Dougal
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Black Dougal »

Harley Stroh wrote:Don't forget we also lost the wizard to the white salamander. Everyone's first session of DCC should end in death. :twisted:

My only regret was that we didn't have another couple hours. The toads were indeed fun, especially the one exploded from within (best use of enlarge to date). The Sister Nuns were awesome; fear female gamers working in tandem.

I love that a new player was able to pick up on the spellcasting mechanic. While we never hit a corruption, he seemed to grok the process pretty quickly.

//H
Doh! How did I forget about that?

I must have been too excited about not losing a character for once that I forgot about his death.

I do agree that there must be a trial by death for new DCC players.

DCCRPG Playtests: Tacticon 2010, GenghisCon 2011, Tacticon 2011, GenghisCon 2012

Doug may very well hold the dubious title of “most DCC RPG PCs lost during the course of convention play.”
--Harley Stroh
*KZ*
Gongfarmer

Post by *KZ* »

You know it’s a successful day as a gamer when your GM looks at you and says, “Have I told you today that I hate you?”

It was a fantastic session. I wish we could have gone longer myself, but alas, our plans couldn’t be changed.

I really enjoyed trying out the spellcasting mechanic. Considering how I was rolling, I was really glad I didn’t lose my spells when I failed! That bonus reduction for failure really does cause a deepening sense of panic as more and more boxes get checked off.

I really enjoyed not taking a frontline role — I didn’t intend that when I built the character. It was fun trying to find ways to use my abilities in creative ways. I have to say I am just a teeny bit disappointed that I didn’t get a chance to use Word of Command: Doff.

General DCC note: Should you be lucky enough to have two clerics in your party, it may be a good idea to arrange for them to be different alignments so that no one is more than a step away from one of them. That prevents moments like the one when I successfully managed to heal exactly one hit point (at least it reduced my failure penalty!). I wouldn’t change the party now, though. The sister nuns are too awesome.

Can’t wait for the next session!

Sister Nun the Elder
mntnjeff
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by mntnjeff »

Sounds like a hoot! Out of curiosity, where did this take place? A game store in our area?

Spill it... inquiring minds want to know.
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Mtn,

CU-Boulder campus. You free these days?

//H

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

*KZ* wrote:You know it’s a successful day as a gamer when your GM looks at you and says, “Have I told you today that I hate you?”
Hehehehe. But it was said in the most loving tones. :) It's not my fault you were brilliant.
*KZ* wrote: I really enjoyed not taking a frontline role — I didn’t intend that when I built the character. It was fun trying to find ways to use my abilities in creative ways. I have to say I am just a teeny bit disappointed that I didn’t get a chance to use Word of Command: Doff.
See, now that would have elicited outright howls of GM-anguish.
*KZ* wrote:General DCC note: Should you be lucky enough to have two clerics in your party, it may be a good idea to arrange for them to be different alignments so that no one is more than a step away from one of them. That prevents moments like the one when I successfully managed to heal exactly one hit point (at least it reduced my failure penalty!). I wouldn’t change the party now, though. The sister nuns are too awesome.

Can’t wait for the next session!
Preach it, Sister Nun! We'll be seeing you all again, soon.

//H

Black Dougal
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Black Dougal »

Did I mention that I am really enjoying the unique monsters. I like it that I never know what I am going to be facing in a dungeon.

I want to know what happens as we run away with the crown and what the hags say when we bring it to them. I am just glad that I survived that last swipe from the Giantess.

--Harley Stroh
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

:twisted:

//H

SgtPepper76
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by SgtPepper76 »

This sounds awesome. If you need another player in the area, I'd be more than happy to participate!

Trathgar the Pious - GenghisCon 2011 DCC Playtest
mntnjeff
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by mntnjeff »

CU campus? My old alma mater! Heck Harley, tell me when and I'll see if I can make it.

What level are you guys playing? Sounds higher than 5th...Which is interesting in and of itself.

Beta rules cover up to 5th level right?
Black Dougal
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Black Dougal »

I personally would love for SgtPepper76 and mntnjeff to play with us, assuming Harley can handle nine people at one gaming table. :)

Oh, and we are at 5th level right now. Hopefully we will be going higher.

--Harley Stroh
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

*KZ* wrote:General DCC note: Should you be lucky enough to have two clerics in your party, it may be a good idea to arrange for them to be different alignments so that no one is more than a step away from one of them.
That's a neat thought that hadn't occured to me. Well done!
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

*KZ* wrote:General DCC note: Should you be lucky enough to have two clerics in your party, it may be a good idea to arrange for them to be different alignments so that no one is more than a step away from one of them.
That's a neat thought that hadn't occured to me. Well done!
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman

Return to “DCC RPG General”