Free RPG Day

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Re: Free RPG Day

Post by finarvyn »

goodmangames wrote:
mshensley wrote:What is the deal with the letters on their d3?
Paper, Scissors, Rock. For the truly dice-addicted, who would prefer to roll a die over using your hands. :)
Wow. I've had a couple of those for a while and also have wondered what P S and R stand for. Once you explain it, it's obvious. :oops:

Are there many games that use the R/P/S mechanic? I know that a bunch of LARP games used to do it so you wouldn't have to carry dice, but then it seems counterproductive to print up dice that replace the mechanic used to replace the dice. If that makes any sense.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Warduke
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Warduke »

I always thought they were just a curiosity. Sorta like we could sit around and play RPS with dice ...
Member of Fathead's Favorite Posters Team
DCCfan
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer
FLGS: The Comics Club

Post by DCCfan »

finarvyn wrote:
goodmangames wrote:
mshensley wrote:What is the deal with the letters on their d3?
Paper, Scissors, Rock. For the truly dice-addicted, who would prefer to roll a die over using your hands. :)
Wow. I've had a couple of those for a while and also have wondered what P S and R stand for. Once you explain it, it's obvious. :oops:

Are there many games that use the R/P/S mechanic? I know that a bunch of LARP games used to do it so you wouldn't have to carry dice, but then it seems counterproductive to print up dice that replace the mechanic used to replace the dice. If that makes any sense.
I can remember asking the dice guy at his booth what an R/P/S die was used for. When he smiled and told me I felt like an idiot. I couldn't get away from there fast enough. :oops:
"When creating your character,choose an ethical system that can justify nearly any fit of temper, greed, cowardice, or vindictiveness, for example, Chaotic Violent..."

THE PROTOCOLS, ADVANCED PROTOCOL #10
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

Your experience sounds much worse than mine, DCCfan! At least I don't have to look you guys in the face as I'm embarassed. :P
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
nanstreet
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by nanstreet »

When I saw a picture of the die online I could see the R and P, but not the S, and was wondering what they stood for. Red? Purple? Rock, Paper, Scissors makes sense. Thanks for the explanation! I don't think I would have figured it out even seeing the S. I would have been thinking, what the heck color is that? Silver? Sienna? It probably would have come up as a Great Gaming Table Debate, with lots of alternative possibilities offered, before it was settled. :lol:
talmor
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by talmor »

So, I have a problem. I haven't been able to go to any cons where DCC is being played/tested, but I really, really want to check this game out. I went into my local gaming store yesterday to try and get some special dice (no luck--they don't carry them and won't order them, so I'm going online). While I was there, I found out that they are not participating in Free RPG Day.

I know the beta rules are scheduled for release around June 18th or so, but will the module be available after Free RPG day? Is there any other way to check this game out--I don't want to wait till November!
Jeffrey
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Jeffrey »

Very excited about this. Very.

Once we get some of this in our hands, if anyone wants to bash the rules around a bit at Games Plus in Mt Prospect, Il., I would be interested in attending. Was going to have back surgery, but it has been postponed for a bit, so I am now officially on pain killers and bored.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

Jeffrey wrote:Once we get some of this in our hands, if anyone wants to bash the rules around a bit at Games Plus in Mt Prospect, Il., I would be interested in attending.
I expect that something will happen at Games Plus. I don't get out there much since it's nearly an hour from my house, but they have great tables for gaming!
Jeffrey wrote:Was going to have back surgery, but it has been postponed for a bit, so I am now officially on pain killers and bored.
Ouch. My daughter just had ankle surgery and is non-weght-bearing for six weeks. Surgeries are never fun. Hope things work out well with yours.
Marv / Finarvyn

-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
AlCook
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by AlCook »

Looking forward to trying to get a copy of this at my local game store who is participating. They didn't seem to be sure if they would be getting it though. Is there another way to get a physical copy of the module if they don't have it?
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Cook,

See if the store is showing up on the Free RPG Day retail locator: http://www.freerpgday.com/stores.htm

If they are, they'll definitely have copies of the release. Not to game the system, but it wouldn't hurt to chat up your FLGS manager and sales staff so they let you have pick of the pile. (Charisma should never be your dump stat. ;) )

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
AlCook
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by AlCook »

Harley- they are participating so I'll be on the lookout for it. Thanks :D
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

Harley Stroh wrote:Charisma should never be your dump stat.
Another clever t-shirt slogan! 8)
Marv / Finarvyn

-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
talmor
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by talmor »

Harley Stroh wrote:Cook,

See if the store is showing up on the Free RPG Day retail locator: http://www.freerpgday.com/stores.htm

If they are, they'll definitely have copies of the release. Not to game the system, but it wouldn't hurt to chat up your FLGS manager and sales staff so they let you have pick of the pile. (Charisma should never be your dump stat. ;) )

//H
What if my local gaming store isn't participating in Free RPG day? Is there another way to get the modules?
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

talmor wrote:What if my local gaming store isn't participating in Free RPG day? Is there another way to get the modules?
Well, the first step is to clap them upside the head and berate them for their foolish choice.

We'll definitely have some copies here at the office. However, I don't know if Joseph has plans for those as con giveaways or not. I'll check with the boss and see how we plan to get them into the hands of eager gamers.

That said, you won't need the Free RPG Day release to use the beta. That's just icing on the cake. If you can't make it to the store, there's nothing to stop you from downloading the beta, opening your oldest copy of Keep on the Borderlands, and getting your DCC playtest started right away.

//H

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

finarvyn wrote:
Harley Stroh wrote:Charisma should never be your dump stat.
Another clever t-shirt slogan! 8)
Thank you, Minister!

//H

talmor
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by talmor »

Harley Stroh wrote: Well, the first step is to clap them upside the head and berate them for their foolish choice.
Well, they are a foolish, foolish place. I try to support them because they're local, and I want a local gaming store, but I often find better selection and either the local mega-book store (Borders or B&N) or at my local used book store. :(
That said, you won't need the Free RPG Day release to use the beta. That's just icing on the cake. If you can't make it to the store, there's nothing to stop you from downloading the beta, opening your oldest copy of Keep on the Borderlands, and getting your DCC playtest started right away.

True, and I do have Keep on the Borderlands, but I was really looking forward to a meat-grinder 0 level game. The idea of playing "random blacksmith apprentice" really appeals to a couple of my players--oddly, it's the ones who haven't played a lot, and just started getting into gaming. It's the veterans who are more skeptical...
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

talmor wrote:
Harley Stroh wrote:

True, and I do have Keep on the Borderlands, but I was really looking forward to a meat-grinder 0 level game. The idea of playing "random blacksmith apprentice" really appeals to a couple of my players--oddly, it's the ones who haven't played a lot, and just started getting into gaming. It's the veterans who are more skeptical...
Then use KoTB as a level 0 adventure. Give everyone 2-3 level 0 characters. The free 0 level adventure works like this too:

This adventure is designed for 15-20 0-level characters or 8-10 1st-level characters. Remember that players should have 2-3 characters each, so they can continue enjoying the fun of play even if some of their PCs die off. In playtest groups of 15 0-level PCs, 7 or 8 typically survive. The author has playtested this adventure with groups of up to 28 PCs and experienced one complete TPK and several sessions with only a handful of survivors.
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

talmor wrote:
Harley Stroh wrote: Well, the first step is to clap them upside the head and berate them for their foolish choice.
Well, they are a foolish, foolish place. I try to support them because they're local, and I want a local gaming store, but I often find better selection and either the local mega-book store (Borders or B&N) or at my local used book store. :(
My understanding is that a game store has to buy a "free rpg bundle" that contains the giveaway products. Perhaps they don't get much gaming business and don't think that they can justify the cost.

Logic tells me that freebies might cause more gaming enthusiasm and thus more sales, but it's possible that the only folks who pick up the freebies are the ones who would have shopped there anyway.

I know what you mean about supporting local gaming stores, as I do the same. It's hard to keep 'em afloat and they seem to burn out in a hurry. :(
Marv / Finarvyn

-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

finarvyn wrote:My understanding is that a game store has to buy a "free rpg bundle" that contains the giveaway products.

It's an $80 buy-in for a store to get the basic Free RPG Bundle. In these rough economic waters, a store needs to see a strong showing to front this money since he may have not seen a return on his investment in the past.

Talmor, if you have several buddies, you may want to have them all chip in $5 or 10 and approach your local retailer and see if you helped front the money, see if he would be willing to participate.

Just a thought.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

I think it's past the deadline for this year, however.
Marv / Finarvyn

-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
talmor
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by talmor »

I have a question on RPG day etiquette. Since my local gamin store isn't participating in the event, how rude would it be for me to shop, get the free module, by some other product and head out? I def. want to support the store that I will be going to (and therefore plan to buy at least one book and some other gear as well--mini's or dice or the like), but I may not have time to participate in any of the events.

Does that make me incredibly rude or against the spirit? I'm planning on running the module for people who are interested in roleplaying, but never had, so I'm trying to help expand their market for them...
mshensley
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by mshensley »

talmor wrote:I have a question on RPG day etiquette. Since my local gamin store isn't participating in the event, how rude would it be for me to shop, get the free module, by some other product and head out? I def. want to support the store that I will be going to (and therefore plan to buy at least one book and some other gear as well--mini's or dice or the like), but I may not have time to participate in any of the events.

Does that make me incredibly rude or against the spirit? I'm planning on running the module for people who are interested in roleplaying, but never had, so I'm trying to help expand their market for them...
I'd say that if you bought something that would put you ahead of 90% of the gaming population.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

talmor wrote:... to shop, get the free module, by some other product and head out
That's the event in a nutshell, isn't it?

I suppose some stores may be doing more alongside the event...
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

mshensley wrote:
talmor wrote:I def. want to support the store that I will be going to (and therefore plan to buy at least one book and some other gear as well--mini's or dice or the like), but I may not have time to participate in any of the events.
I'd say that if you bought something that would put you ahead of 90% of the gaming population.
Agreed. Buying anything or even just bringing a friend who hasn't gamed in a while are good ways of ensuring that the game store will continue to host Free RPG Day in the future.

As an aside, when Joseph sends us to cons we always try to stop by local gaming stores, and we always buy something. I came across a great find when we were travelling back from the D&D experience, an old Warhammer art book that ended up influencing Punjar.

//H

talmor
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by talmor »

GnomeBoy wrote:That's the event in a nutshell, isn't it?
Ah, ok. The website seemed to indicate that there'd be events and prizes for participating and stuff.

Return to “DCC RPG General”