When will the dice sets be available?

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

mshensley
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

When will the dice sets be available?

Post by mshensley »

As the beta rules will be out in less than 2 months, will we be able to buy the dice sets needed before then?
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Re: When will the dice sets be available?

Post by goodmangames »

The "funky dice" are available now from Gamestation.net, as individual purchases. I'm working with some folks to make them available as a complete set later in the year, closer to when the the DCC RPG book releases. But for now, you can purchase them from gamestation.net.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Hamakto
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Hamakto »

Ordered a bunch of funky dice today... ugghh...
Andy
Blood Kings
2007 & 2008 DCC Tourney Champion
kataskicana
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by kataskicana »

Has list of all the dice needed been posted somewhere? I know d24 and d30 have been mentioned.
Alegur
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Alegur »

an FYI. . . I ordered a few of the 'funky dice' a month or so back from Gamestation and the shipping was very quick. I was pleased. Need to order a few more, now that I think of it. :D
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

...anybody have a clue/speculation as to why the main page of Gamestation.net is headed with "Soon to be Retired!"...?

Does this mean I should buy some dice post-haste?
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
mshensley
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by mshensley »

What funky dice will be needed for low levels, say level 0-3? Will d14's, d16's, or d24's be necessary at those levels?
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

You can get by without the funky dice - for a d5, just roll d6 and drop the 6, etc. But if you really want to play with funny dice -- and don't we all? :) -- then I recommend going for the full enchilada. The game uses the following dice, at various points and across all levels:

d3
d5
d7
d14
d16
d24
d30

Plus of course the traditional suite of d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, and d20.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Stainless
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Stainless »

Hmmm, where in Europe can we get these dice? I don't think I like having to pay more in postage than the dice themselves are worth.
Avatar by Stefan Poag (I now own the original!)
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

Stainless wrote:Hmmm, where in Europe can we get these dice? I don't think I like having to pay more in postage than the dice themselves are worth.
You might try this place:
http://www.thediceshoponline.com/default.asp

Their page says:
We are now Europe's largest volume retailer of dice. Wherever you live, whatever games you play, we have what you need and you should expect nothing but the best service from our team.
That's got to be good. I mean, I hate places that promise crappy service! :P

For example, they have the d24:
http://www.thediceshoponline.com/dice/2 ... d-D24-Dice

I don't know anything about them but I think their prices are in British pounds, so I'm guessing that shipping woudn't be as bad as from the US.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Aplus
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Aplus »

I ordered the pound of zocchi from gamestation, hoping to get some of the funny dice in there for my group, but alas, they were all standard dice. No biggie, since I wanted to start using precision dice anyways. So I bought a 12-pc set from my FLGS ($22 uninked!) which included the following: d3, d4, d5, d6, d8, d10, d10 (tens), d12, d14, d16, d20, d24. I already had a d30, which was like $2.50. After all that, I still need to get a d7 separately, with a $5 price tag for the one die, and it doesn't match any of the other sets!

I like the funny dice, but I really hope that there is a better way to get a complete set at a reasonable price by the time the game comes out.

P.S. - I've found painting the numbers in to be much more time-consuming than I anticipated. And if you don't already own a nice miniatures brush like a 5/0 or smaller, just spring for the inked ones. I got a whole pound of these bastards to paint! The cool thing is that you can do some custom coloring, like the navy blue d6's I did with orange ink - my "Go Bears" dice.

P.P.S. - My gamestation order arrived in two days with free shipping, a cool little d12 keychain, and a coupon code for future orders. I would definitely do business with them again.
Check out my DCC Resources Page for cool stuff!
Machpants
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Machpants »

Yeah GMG really really need to get on to them and organise a full set of all the dice (including d7) that are a matching set.
LAST OF THE F3W
Gloria Finis
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

Aplus wrote:I've found painting the numbers in to be much more time-consuming than I anticipated. And if you don't already own a nice miniatures brush like a 5/0 or smaller, just spring for the inked ones. I got a whole pound of these bastards to paint!
I feel your pain. I bought two of the 12-dice sets (uninked) and have been filling in the numbers with a black sharpie. Not as nice as paint and won't last as long, and it's taking me quite a while as well. I've done the "easy" ones (big numbers) and am slowing down as the numbers get smaller and smaller in size. I just don't have the vision for this kind of thing. :(

And you're right about the d7's not matching. That is a pain.

I also picked up a couple of individual dice, already inked, and this is definietly the way to go!
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
Kathorus
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Kathorus »

I have got two more dice to color in.

I really want to use these in a game and can't wait for the beta rules.

It will be nice if they start making matching sets.
moes1980
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by moes1980 »

Um, is it just me or do alot of those dice look like they would be really easy to roll in a baised way. The d7 for example has a side with the 7 on it that is much larger surface area than the other faces of the die, so it seems like it is not going to be very good and generating random numbers. It looks even worse for the d5. Has this been the experince of those who have been using them, or is it misleading me with the picture and I need to see them in real life?
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

moes1980 wrote:Um, is it just me or do alot of those dice look like they would be really easy to roll in a baised way. The d7 for example has a side with the 7 on it that is much larger surface area than the other faces of the die, so it seems like it is not going to be very good and generating random numbers. It looks even worse for the d5. Has this been the experince of those who have been using them, or is it misleading me with the picture and I need to see them in real life?
I haven't used the d5 a lot yet, but I had similar feelings when I looked at it. It seems to actually roll all sides pretty equally.
Dieter Zimmerman
[[Faceless Minion of the Dark Master]]
bholmes4
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by bholmes4 »

I found if I roll the d5 on a table everything is fine. It seems to bounce and flip around quite well and after recording a fairly large number of rolls it did appear "random". Same with the d7.

However if I roll the d5 in my wooden dice tray (with a felt bottom) it seems to "stick" to the felt when it rolls to the flatter side (the 1 and 5) and often does not flip/bounce again. The rolls (which I also recorded at the time) did not appear to be evenly distributed at all. The D7 did not appear to have this issue (non of the other dice did in fact) probably due to it's weight.

I will just rule that the d5 must be rolled on the table and not in a dice tray. Not a big deal.
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

bholmes4 wrote:I will just rule that the d5 must be rolled on the table and not in a dice tray. Not a big deal.
Or keep using the d10 for d5.
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

bholmes4 wrote:I found if I roll the d5 on a table everything is fine. It seems to bounce and flip around quite well and after recording a fairly large number of rolls it did appear "random". Same with the d7.

However if I roll the d5 in my wooden dice tray (with a felt bottom) it seems to "stick" to the felt when it rolls to the flatter side (the 1 and 5) and often does not flip/bounce again. The rolls (which I also recorded at the time) did not appear to be evenly distributed at all. The D7 did not appear to have this issue (non of the other dice did in fact) probably due to it's weight.

I will just rule that the d5 must be rolled on the table and not in a dice tray. Not a big deal.
We had similar results. My wife picked up a bunch of my funky dice and just started rolling them (she's a mathematician and is intrigued by the non-standard shapes) and she found that the d3, d5, and d7 all seemed to lack much bounce. (This has long been a problem with the d4 as well.)

What they probably should do is the "number twice" option so that they could use rounder shapes, so that a d5 could be a d10 numbered 1-5 twice and so on.
Marv / Finarvyn

-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
mshensley
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by mshensley »

finarvyn wrote:What they probably should do is the "number twice" option so that they could use rounder shapes, so that a d5 could be a d10 numbered 1-5 twice and so on.
There are d6's numbered 1-3 twice, D10's numbered 1-5 twice, D8's numbered 1-4 twice, and d20's numbered 0-9 twice. I definitely would rather have a d7 that is a d14 numbered 1-7 twice.
nanstreet
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by nanstreet »

Once upon a time-- long, long ago-- I was dming a game where the players tracked some hobgoblin raiders to their camp. It was a tough fight, but the party had a mondo fighter who could absorb damage and dish it out, and he could hit the hobgoblins on a 9 or higher. He hit the first round, wounding one hobgoblin. But then missed his next attack, and missed again, and missed again, and again, and again, and again. Finally, with the battle going against them and yet another miss rolled, the player threw the d20 across the table in frustration, where it came to rest in front of another player (the one whose bag of dice everyone was using), and he took one look at the offending die and said, "You do realize this is a d10, don't you?" And so it was-- one of those annoying 20-sided dies that repeat 1-10 twice over. :lol: So, no 14-sided d7s for me, thanks.

I just ordered my zocchi dice. I am still in sticker shock. It wouldn't be so bad except for the added shipping and handling. I skipped the d7s since they weren't included in the sets. I'll just use a d8 reroll 8s until the game store starts carrying them.
moes1980
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by moes1980 »

Yeah, seems that is true about the d5. I got my set yesterday and was rolling it to see. As long as its a good tossed roll up in the air and not just rolled off the palm, it more often than not landed on the side than on its big flat face side with the 1 an 5. It is kind of crazy that it dose that and now I see why they are really funky (at least the d5 any way).

And yeah, they were expensive, set me back about 20 bucks including the giant d30 die I bought to go along with the set. But I am looking foward to using them soon. It dose remind me of the old days when the dice were not old hat, but interesting and strange. The hand colored in numbers with a sharpie is a nice touch as well. Checking every day for the beta rules!
Rick
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: Gateway Games & More

Post by Rick »

My dice arrived from gamestation.net today (quick!). :D I'm ready to roll!

Stainless
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Stainless »

Although it's only a photo, they look much better inked than the ones I got from the "dice shop" here in the UK. I'm going to have to re-ink all of mine other than the Koplow d30. I wonder if Europe get the US rejects, or else I've just been unlucky.
Avatar by Stefan Poag (I now own the original!)
Machpants
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Machpants »

The ones I brought from Zocchi/Game Science direct were poorly inked too.
LAST OF THE F3W
Gloria Finis

Return to “DCC RPG General”