DCC RPG Game day

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

brogan_a
Far-Sighted Wanderer

DCC RPG Game day

Post by brogan_a »

I am hoping to run a DCC RPG event at our local store here in Cincinnati (Yottaquest), and I was wondering when the electronic version of the beta rules will be out so I can bone up on the system before I GM. Any ideas?
BTW... I love Goodman games, I lucked into playing on the winning team in the very first DCC contest at Gencon a number of years ago, and me and my friends entered everyone one since then. I am the proud owner of most of the DCC's for 3.0/3.5 and I have pre-ordered the new rules system the week it was announced. I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas to happen for this new rule set to come out. My group has been playing 4e a couple of years now and looking back on 1e/3e, and the description of what this game can be really makes me sad at what we lost along the way going to 4e. I want my rogue to cast a spell from a scroll dammit! Go chapter N! :D

- Andy Brogan
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Re: DCC RPG Game day

Post by goodmangames »

Andy! Great to hear from you. And glad to hear your excitement about what's brewing!

I am hoping to get the beta rules out a full week before Free RPG Day. There is a lot to do between now and then. As the editor finishes up each chapter he's passing it on for layout. If we stay on track we should be good, but you never know what might crop up. So hopefully we'll give you a full week to digest them before Free RPG Day. Maybe a little more, maybe a little less...once I have something solid in hand I will let you know with more certainty.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

The neat thing is that (so far) a lot of the rules will be familar to an experienced gamer so it's not like you will have to learn a 100% new game from scratch.

Basic terms and concepts like to-hit rolls, armor class, hit dice, weapons and damage, etc, really haven't changed much and are similar to what you can find in other D&D-style games since the 1970's. Even the concept of 0-level characters was explored for a while in AD&D.

New and different things mostly seem to focus around critical hits and fumbles, and spellcasting. Frankly, a lot of the difference between DCC and other RPGs is attitude and a few random effects charts. Random effects for combat hits, random effects for spell damage, random effects for monster generation, and so on. For an intro 0-level game, I've found that spellcasting isn't an issue because they can't do it yet. Overall, the learning curve for DCC isn't as steep as some folks would have you believe, so you should be able to pick up what you need in a week without much trouble. 8)
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
brogan_a
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by brogan_a »

Thanks, I was hoping it would be something like that. I just hope the system takes off and becomes as popular as it should be!

- Andy Brogan
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

Frankly, in this market I wonder if any RPG will ever really "take off" the way some of the old ones did. There are just so many options nowadays that this tends to slice up the fanbase so many ways.

Back in the 1970's when RPGs were pretty new, every game seemed like an amazing innovation. I can play D&D in space with Traveller? I can have a colony ship with mutations in Metamorphosis Alpha? Have gunfights in Boot Hill? The list goes on, each one seeming to be different from another.

Now you have many games which fill essentially the same part of the market. Want to play fantasy RPGs? Try OD&D, AD&D, OSRIC, S&W, 4E, Pathfinder, C&C, et cetera. Each has some differences but each tends to follow the same basic model of gaming.

Where DCC may succeed is it's trying to capture a slightly different market -- that of the old style pulp fantasy novels. Whether that's a big enough difference to help it carve out a large niche or simply may encourage folks to say "well, I'll borrow this mechanic from DCC but still play X", who can say.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
kataskicana
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by kataskicana »

It is just like television today... a thousand options on watch to watch - actually infinite giving the online possibilites and ondemand and tivo. I remember a day when everyone watched the sunday night disaster movie of the week... becuase it was the highlight of the THREE choices that were available!

I feel like DCC is brining something unique to the table. The right mix of modern mechanics (d20ish) with the feel of the 1970s or before. Even using odd dice. Since the 70's I haven't played a game where I used oddly shaped dice I'd never used before... and now I will again... the d14, etc.
moes1980
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by moes1980 »

finarvyn wrote:Frankly, in this market I wonder if any RPG will ever really "take off" the way some of the old ones did. There are just so many options nowadays that this tends to slice up the fanbase so many ways.

Back in the 1970's when RPGs were pretty new, every game seemed like an amazing innovation. I can play D&D in space with Traveller? I can have a colony ship with mutations in Metamorphosis Alpha? Have gunfights in Boot Hill? The list goes on, each one seeming to be different from another.

Now you have many games which fill essentially the same part of the market. Want to play fantasy RPGs? Try OD&D, AD&D, OSRIC, S&W, 4E, Pathfinder, C&C, et cetera. Each has some differences but each tends to follow the same basic model of gaming.

Where DCC may succeed is it's trying to capture a slightly different market -- that of the old style pulp fantasy novels. Whether that's a big enough difference to help it carve out a large niche or simply may encourage folks to say "well, I'll borrow this mechanic from DCC but still play X", who can say.
You have a good point, its a different industry than in the 70's 80's, or even 90's. But than again, maybe so many companies are making so many attempts at retro clones is because so many players are tying to find a good one. Perhaps its a sign that there is a huge market out that that is still yet to be satisfied. Maybe this game will capture that market? I have been looking for something like this for a long time. I played 3.x because every one else did, and it was the big thing back in the day. I play 4th ed occasionally because, again, that is played in alot of circles and alot of people like it. Im not crazy about playing CnC or any of those 3.x light games because I would rather just play my 3.x or DnD basic, and pathfinder, in my opinion, is a worse version of 3.x, not better. I have messed around with playing 4th ed hackmaster and hackmaster basic, as they somewhat capture the old feel, but they are very rule intensive with alot of stuff to keep track of, they are a blast but they are not easy to play.

For the past 20 years I have been looking for a game that played like old school but was updated in a way that is more substantial than a bunch of unnecsary rules or cheap tricks (such as fighters having super attack powers that they can use once per fight). I have alot of games that ended up being dissapointng sitting on my shelf. Maybe, maybe this is the one game to rule them all and, if alot of the gaming community has been like me, buying up these lesser games in an attempt to find that special something that made the old games so much fun, than maybe this game really can take off. Maybe there is something to be said for returning to the original inspirations of the game, and notes from the original creators, rather than moving further away from it in the way WOTC has. Time will tell, time will tell......

Like, in two days time if you guys release the beta on monday :D Please?
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

moes1980 wrote:maybe so many companies are making so many attempts at retro clones is because so many players are tying to find a good one. Perhaps its a sign that there is a huge market out that that is still yet to be satisfied.
I don't think so. The clones all are targeted at basically the same audience as each other, and really only represent variants of the same basic thing. In the 1970's I used to house rule things. Thanks to the internet and lulu, in the 2010's I can house rule them and then publish as a "new" game.
moes1980 wrote:I'm not crazy about playing CnC or any of those 3.x light games because I would rather just play my 3.x or DnD basic, and pathfinder, in my opinion, is a worse version of 3.x, not better.
But again the point is that each person simply picks the flavor they like better and ignores the others. Next to OD&D, I probably play C&C more than any other RPG (not counting DCC yet since it's still a playtest game) because both my 1E and 3E players all like it. And apparently a lot of folks like Pathfinder better than 3.x, which is why it sells so well. For every variant rules set there will be a certain population who thinks it's better than all the rest. (And another population that thinks that the version you like is the worst one ever written.)

It's too early to know how DCC will fit into the demographic. My gut tells me that there is a big population who will like it because there are lots of people who like the old S&S-style pulp literature, but it's also hard to make people leave their comfort zone and try something new.
Marv / Finarvyn

-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

The biggest--and pretty much ONLY--game store in my area won't be hosting an RPG Day event. At all. Of any kind.

Talk about an "epic fail"....*sigh*

LAME. :?

Return to “DCC RPG General”