Aerth setting form DCC #35 relevant to DCC RPG adventures?

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Alaric
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: The Devil's Bench

Aerth setting form DCC #35 relevant to DCC RPG adventures?

Post by Alaric »

Hey all, is the Gazetteer of the Known Realms (DCC#35) relevant to the newer releases for the DCC RPG (as in, are the places where they're set located and identified within the realms)?

I heard Harley Stroh talking about the setting on Spellburn and am intrigued.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: Aerth setting form DCC #35 relevant to DCC RPG adventure

Post by GnomeBoy »

Yes, and No.

They are clearly making references to it in some of the DCC RPG material (most notably, deities), but it doesn't really feature as "front-and-center" to anything DCC RPG related.

It's more like, it's there, you can use it as a basis for a DCC RPG module-oriented campaign if that seemed like a good idea to you — but it is in no way meant to be the DCC RPG campaign source.

I don't think there's any official "Here's where all the modules are set!" thing, and I haven't seen any real fan attempts at it — most of the modules are vaguely placed so you can place them in your campaign world of choice...
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Jim Skach
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Jim Skach »

Far be it from me to disagree with the esteemed GnomeBoy, but I do seem to recall there was some discussion, someplace (and my memory is legendarily shitty) where people had placed several of the modules. I'll see if I can track it down...
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Even a cold-hearted immortal can be wrong.... :mrgreen:
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
James Mishler
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by James Mishler »

Aereth certainly can be used as the backdrop for most of the DCC RPG DCC modules, just as it was the backdrop for the original 3E DCC modules (both pre and post Gazetteer).

Here is a link to where the original DCC modules were all placed.

Here is a link to my post wherein I placed many of the original BX/AD&D modules.

Between the Northlands, Southlands, and Lost Lands, you can fit in virtually any European/Northwest Asian, North/Central/South American, and Egyptian/Saharan/Middle Eastern module from DCC or any other system. With the Shadowed West beyond the Southlands being an analogue of East and Southeast Asia and the Unknown East being, well, unknown (therein I have placed a West and Eastern Africa analogue), virtually anything is possible.
James Mishler
Personal Gameblog: http://adventuresingaming2.blogspot.com
Hermes Serpent
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: None

Post by Hermes Serpent »

I'm using Aereth as the setting for a DCC campaign comprising both DCC mods and homebrew material as well as various OSR bits and pieces. It's handy to use the gods and stuff as many of them are already in DCC and it's relatively easy to add the ones that aren't. I'll be adding appropriate Deity Disapproval charts when a cleric picks a particular deity, currently I only have a Cthulhu worshipper in the clerical line.

The GM's map has the location of the early 3.5E modules shown on it plus some ruins that could come in handy but the player map is free of those items. I just use GIMP to paste together all the maps from the pdf DCC 35 set that I grabbed from DTRPG.
Alaric
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: The Devil's Bench

Post by Alaric »

James Mishler wrote:Aereth certainly can be used as the backdrop for most of the DCC RPG DCC modules, just as it was the backdrop for the original 3E DCC modules (both pre and post Gazetteer).

Here is a link to where the original DCC modules were all placed.

Here is a link to my post wherein I placed many of the original BX/AD&D modules.

Between the Northlands, Southlands, and Lost Lands, you can fit in virtually any European/Northwest Asian, North/Central/South American, and Egyptian/Saharan/Middle Eastern module from DCC or any other system. With the Shadowed West beyond the Southlands being an analogue of East and Southeast Asia and the Unknown East being, well, unknown (therein I have placed a West and Eastern Africa analogue), virtually anything is possible.
This is exactly what I was looking, thanks so much!

Return to “DCC RPG General”