Goodman Games

Fan Forums
It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:18 pm 
Offline
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:58 am
Posts: 468
Location: Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
FLGS: The Portal
http://goodman-games.com/blog/2017/03/2 ... -editions/

Reprints of old classics, also rules for 5E.

Why no DCC RPG rules?

_________________
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:12 pm 
Offline
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:50 am
Posts: 132
My guess consists of two reasons:

1) While one could totally "riff" on B1 & B2 in a DCC way, the modules aren't very DCC in vibe in their original state.
2) Since WOTC owns the modules, I expect they want them for their own system.

_________________
"Bighara RULES!" -Ogrepuppy

"Well, that's just genius." :D -GnomeBoy


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:27 pm 
Offline
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:58 am
Posts: 468
Location: Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
FLGS: The Portal
bighara wrote:
My guess consists of two reasons:

1) While one could totally "riff" on B1 & B2 in a DCC way, the modules aren't very DCC in vibe in their original state.
2) Since WOTC owns the modules, I expect they want them for their own system.


I can understand that they are not really in the DCC flavor, but as to #2- why involve Goodman Games at all ? They do not need GG to take an old adventure and convert it to 5E.

_________________
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:43 pm 
Offline
Cold-Hearted Immortal
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:41 am
Posts: 2666
Blood Axe wrote:
bighara wrote:
My guess consists of two reasons:

1) While one could totally "riff" on B1 & B2 in a DCC way, the modules aren't very DCC in vibe in their original state.
2) Since WOTC owns the modules, I expect they want them for their own system.


I can understand that they are not really in the DCC flavor, but as to #2- why involve Goodman Games at all ? They do not need GG to take an old adventure and convert it to 5E.


I think the answer is that GG cares about older material, and has shown that they can produce quality reproductions of them.

_________________
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:41 am 
Offline
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:58 am
Posts: 468
Location: Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
FLGS: The Portal
Sure they do, but it doesnt seem necessary. Im sure WoC could have done it without them. Its a bit disappointing to me that GG didnt put their own spin on the project. A DCC "In Search of the Unknown" and "Keep" would have been fun. Being an old school fan, i will definitely pick this sup though.

_________________
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:17 am 
Offline
Cold-Hearted Immortal
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:41 am
Posts: 2666
Blood Axe wrote:
Sure they do, but it doesnt seem necessary. Im sure WoC could have done it without them. Its a bit disappointing to me that GG didnt put their own spin on the project. A DCC "In Search of the Unknown" and "Keep" would have been fun. Being an old school fan, i will definitely pick this sup though.


I'm sure WotC could, too, but the expected profits probably fall below their margin. I would guess - and this is only a guess; I have no inside information - that WotC views this as a "goodwill" gesture that GG may also be paying to make. But I'm just spitting in the wind here.

You should consider opening a thread to convert B1 and B2. Get the community in on it.

_________________
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:58 am 
Offline
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:50 am
Posts: 132
Raven_Crowking wrote:
Blood Axe wrote:
Sure they do, but it doesnt seem necessary. Im sure WoC could have done it without them. Its a bit disappointing to me that GG didnt put their own spin on the project. A DCC "In Search of the Unknown" and "Keep" would have been fun. Being an old school fan, i will definitely pick this sup though.


I'm sure WotC could, too, but the expected profits probably fall below their margin. I would guess - and this is only a guess; I have no inside information - that WotC views this as a "goodwill" gesture that GG may also be paying to make. But I'm just spitting in the wind here.

You should consider opening a thread to convert B1 and B2. Get the community in on it.


I expect it's along those lines as well. Why invest time & money in a possible/probable low-yield product when you can effectively outsource it?

_________________
"Bighara RULES!" -Ogrepuppy

"Well, that's just genius." :D -GnomeBoy


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:22 pm 
Offline
Cold-Hearted Immortal
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:46 pm
Posts: 3050
Location: Left Coast, USA
FLGS: Bizarro World
It might also be a manpower issue. WotC can't spare the manpower for a "niche" reprint, but can enlist a third party to crunch through it...

_________________
Gnome Boy (a.k.a. "Jon") • DCC play-tester @ DDC 35, Feb 2011. • Beta DL 2111, 7:00 AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since 1977 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be DCC Monsters


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:26 pm 
Offline
Far-Sighted Wanderer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:06 pm
Posts: 16
Location: Panama
FLGS: FRPGames
GnomeBoy wrote:
It might also be a manpower issue. WotC can't spare the manpower for a "niche" reprint, but can enlist a third party to crunch through it...



But like OP said, it would be amazing to have some DCC flavored classics spiced up to Appendix N weirdness!

Several classic modules could really really use up some spicing. The Original module is practically the bare bones of classical tropes for ol adventurin ...A base and some weird caves to clear, a "Keep on the Goodmanlands" style adventure making homage to the classic for DCC would be a blast imho, there is a lot you can do with a simple base near some caves tied to the Mystara path later developed for it into a new mini campaign to boot.

Just some ideas, I would of course buy the official reprints when I can BUT just like Hackmaster did a homage to the temple of elemental evil I think we can see some DCC fun in a classical module, just saying :D

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:13 pm 
Offline
Gongfarmer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:02 pm
Posts: 2
FLGS: Da Sorce
Raven_Crowking wrote:
Blood Axe wrote:
Sure they do, but it doesnt seem necessary. Im sure WoC could have done it without them. Its a bit disappointing to me that GG didnt put their own spin on the project. A DCC "In Search of the Unknown" and "Keep" would have been fun. Being an old school fan, i will definitely pick this sup though.


I'm sure WotC could, too, but the expected profits probably fall below their margin. I would guess - and this is only a guess; I have no inside information - that WotC views this as a "goodwill" gesture that GG may also be paying to make. But I'm just spitting in the wind here.

You should consider opening a thread to convert B1 and B2. Get the community in on it.



I'm interested in this. Is anyone else?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 4:59 pm 
Offline
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:58 am
Posts: 468
Location: Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
FLGS: The Portal
I tried awhile back and didnt get much of a reply. The thread is around somewhere.

_________________
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 4:45 am 
Offline
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:50 am
Posts: 132
Dig up a copy of the old Hackmaster module "Little Keep on the Borderlands." It's got some fun stuff in it.

_________________
"Bighara RULES!" -Ogrepuppy

"Well, that's just genius." :D -GnomeBoy


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 1:02 pm 
Offline
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:58 am
Posts: 468
Location: Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
FLGS: The Portal
bighara wrote:
Dig up a copy of the old Hackmaster module "Little Keep on the Borderlands." It's got some fun stuff in it.



I have the original, hackmaster, and the return version. Looking forward to this.

_________________
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 5:00 am 
Offline
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:50 am
Posts: 132
I don't own "Return" but I have the others.

As long as we're discussing some of the Hackmaster stuff, "Frandor's Keep" (the HM Basic module they released with their newer edition) has some nice bits in it too. They removed a little of the parody elements, but it's still fun.

_________________
"Bighara RULES!" -Ogrepuppy

"Well, that's just genius." :D -GnomeBoy


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:03 am 
Offline
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:58 am
Posts: 468
Location: Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
FLGS: The Portal
bighara wrote:
I don't own "Return" but I have the others.

As long as we're discussing some of the Hackmaster stuff, "Frandor's Keep" (the HM Basic module they released with their newer edition) has some nice bits in it too. They removed a little of the parody elements, but it's still fun.


Thanks, I'll have to check it out.
I have two edition of The Keep. Both have the same content, but some different illustrations.

_________________
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 4:49 am 
Offline
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:50 am
Posts: 132
I've always liked the idea that the Caves (or "Mines" in HackMaster) were sort of a humanoid "ghetto." (In the original ethnic sense, not the racial.) You have to imagine that so many different humanoids living in close proximity would indicate either a strong, central leadership (evil cultists) or some serious tensions there.

Maybe there is a tenuous peace, or at least detente. Like gang turf, the various tribes are currently refraining from wholesale slaughter, but if some group of PCs came blundering in and wiped out one of the groups (or seriously weakened it), the balance of power suddenly shifts.

Imagine if the only reason the goblins aren't enslaved or killed by the bigger humanoids is that they have somehow struck a deal with the ogre. Maybe they bribe him with food or booze or something. If he were gone, so goes most of their muscle. It's like gang warfare.

All that sounds like a win-win for the PCs: The monsters kill each other for you. that is until one gang (the hobgoblins maybe) managed to win and take over. Now you're back to the first idea- a monstrous population under one rule. Possibly strong enough attract new recruits until they are a threat to the Keep?

_________________
"Bighara RULES!" -Ogrepuppy

"Well, that's just genius." :D -GnomeBoy


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 7:32 am 
Offline
Cold-Hearted Immortal
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:46 pm
Posts: 3050
Location: Left Coast, USA
FLGS: Bizarro World
bighara wrote:
I've always liked the idea that the Caves...

Well, that's just genius. :D

_________________
Gnome Boy (a.k.a. "Jon") • DCC play-tester @ DDC 35, Feb 2011. • Beta DL 2111, 7:00 AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since 1977 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be DCC Monsters


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 9:10 am 
Offline
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:50 am
Posts: 132
GnomeBoy wrote:
bighara wrote:
I've always liked the idea that the Caves...

Well, that's just genius. :D

Sigged!

(To be fair, I may spend a bit TOO much time thinking about KOTB in general. :lol: )

_________________
"Bighara RULES!" -Ogrepuppy

"Well, that's just genius." :D -GnomeBoy


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 1:32 pm 
Offline
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:58 am
Posts: 468
Location: Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
FLGS: The Portal
bighara wrote:
GnomeBoy wrote:
bighara wrote:
I've always liked the idea that the Caves...

Well, that's just genius. :D

Sigged!

(To be fair, I may spend a bit TOO much time thinking about KOTB in general. :lol: )



Lol. Is there such a thing? That adventure has a lot of good memories for old time gamers.

Even though this adventure isn't really in the style of DCC, I'd love to play it with DCC rules. I'd like to see the maps drawn in DCC style.

_________________
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 5:01 pm 
Offline
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:50 am
Posts: 132
Blood Axe wrote:
Even though this adventure isn't really in the style of DCC, I'd love to play it with DCC rules. I'd like to see the maps drawn in DCC style.


Ah, but it CAN be:

  • What is the chaos cult doing in those caves? Maybe they're digging for something (or someONE).
  • Is the hermit mad because he saw too much?
  • Is the jewel merchant really what he seems to be? Maybe he possesses a gem that is actually the eye of a sleeping god that is chaos made solid.
  • Perhaps the curate is in cahoots with the cave cultists and the jovial priest is an agent of Law and the two silent acolytes are actually golems.

(Hoo-Wee! This Wild Turkey packs a kick!)

_________________
"Bighara RULES!" -Ogrepuppy

"Well, that's just genius." :D -GnomeBoy


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:42 pm 
Offline
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:58 am
Posts: 468
Location: Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
FLGS: The Portal
Keep drinking until you finish the whole adventure DCC style! :D

_________________
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:22 am 
Offline
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:50 am
Posts: 132
Blood Axe wrote:
Keep drinking until you finish the whole adventure DCC style! :D


Maybe I could set up some sort of booze subsidy via Patreon... :wink:

_________________
"Bighara RULES!" -Ogrepuppy

"Well, that's just genius." :D -GnomeBoy


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 7:07 am 
Offline
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:58 am
Posts: 468
Location: Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
FLGS: The Portal
Update in case you missed it.

http://goodman-games.com/blog/2017/05/2 ... ds-update/

_________________
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 7:51 pm 
Offline
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:58 am
Posts: 468
Location: Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
FLGS: The Portal
Id love to play this adventure again,maybe at Unseen Servant, but Id still probably use these rules, instead of 5E :

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/110 ... rers_id=44


Though , using Dcc Rpg might be fun too. Start characters as 0 levels from The Keep or nearby villages and farms.

_________________
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:19 am 
Offline
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:50 am
Posts: 132
FWIW: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=48060

_________________
"Bighara RULES!" -Ogrepuppy

"Well, that's just genius." :D -GnomeBoy


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group