Another Whiterock campaign begins! (Pathfinder)

Forum for all things Castle Whiterock!

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

fonkin
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Another Whiterock campaign begins! (Pathfinder)

Post by fonkin »

Hi all! Friday night we had our first game (after 6+ months of stall-outs, scheduling conflicts and life-interrupting events!) and I think we're off to a good start.

The party was composed of a barbarian, a ranger, a rogue (moving into ranger/rogue) and a halfling stand-up comic bard.

The first game consisted of the adventurers getting to Cillamar and gaining the patronage of the inestimable Chauntessa. She offered to put them up if they would investigate a series of disappearances that started the previous year. She had asked another group to investigate a month earlier but they found nothing of interest after several trips into the community and countryside. The last time she saw them they had decided to go visit the monks excavating the old Dawning Sun monastery near Castle Whiterock. She hadn't heard from them since.

This seemed like as good a lead to follow as any. The party approached the monastery the usual way and talked their way in. They really didn't pick up on the decisively un-monkly vibe and allowed themselves to be led to the artifact tent. Here they perused the junk while Ikenvar and his 6 slavers silently surrounded the tent and then dropped it on their heads.

At this point most of the characters realized they hadn't brought any light slashing weapons. The rogue was the sole exception, and he cut his way free during the first round - only to find himself directly in front of Ikenvar. The end result was predictable.

The barbarian didn't realize until round 3 of her beating that she had a better chance of escaping from the tent with Escape Artist than with a Strength check and did so while the ranger and bard flailed around under the tarp being clubbed by the slavers. When he did so and rage kicked in, the slavers panicked and began lobbing stenchpots at him. They all missed and two of them ended up affecting the slavers themselves. This gave the barbarian a chance to kill two of the slavers.

The ranger found his way out and killed the one slaver not in combat - the one currently binding the unconscious rogue. He then turned to Ikenvar and the two engaged in a two-round duel that did damage on both sides but ended with Ikenvar dropping the ranger.

The bard used his time under the tent to creep out and free a dagger from the KO'd rogue, then healed the barbarian and ranger both before telling an inspiring joke and hiding in the collapsed tent again.

The deaths of 3 of the slavers and the effects of the stenchpots on the other 3 were demoralizing and the 3 remaining slavers fled. The presence of the raging barbarian (Intimidating Prowess baby!) was too much...

The barbarian quickly dropped Ikenvar (one big greatsword hit took him down to zero), but not before Ikenvar's 'Orc Ferocity' kicked in. His return attack dropped the barbarian to 2 hp. Once the barbarian's rage ended, she lost the 2 extra hit points and fell unconscious.

Some first aid brought them all around and they secured the half-orc. Now they have his stuff, six stenchpots and a key.

Ah! The joys of first level!
Sunderstone
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Re: Another Whiterock campaign begins! (Pathfinder)

Post by Sunderstone »

I'm jealous!

Always wanted to play or DM Whiterock. You must move your group to NYC and make room for one more!
*Ill be reading if you keep posting about it. :)
a.k.a. Mithriltooth
fonkin
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by fonkin »

I know what you mean! I've been itching to run this beastie for several years. I will definitely keep posting. Another good thing about this is that it will keep me working on the PFRPG conversion block for the module, which King Joseph promised to add to his supplementary material.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

It does sound like a fun session.

I haven't actually given Whiterock a trial run yet, but it's fun to read and very heavy.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Jengenritz
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Jengenritz »

Awesome! That was a brutal encounter, but your PCs managed it without a loss, so hat's-off to them!
Yeah, Intimidating Prowess is no joke - my fighter in our regular game has it and it's made a few "negotiations" a whole lot easier.
Co-Author: The Almanac of the Endless Traders, DCC #13, DCC #29, DCC #49, DCC #51, DCC #52, DCC #63

Author: DCC #55: Isle of the Sea Drake, DCC #61: Citadel of the Corruptor, more to come....

Return to “Castle Whiterock”