5e Conversion looking for play-testers.

Forum for all things Castle Whiterock!

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

bwatford
Wild-Eyed Zealot

5e Conversion looking for play-testers.

Post by bwatford »

Hello everyone,

I am currently working on a professional conversion of the entire box set of Castle Whiterock over to 5e. Not just re-skinning monsters but overhauling everything to fall in line and be balanced with the 5e rules.

I am looking to begin play-testing of the first few levels of the castle and I am looking to put together a team pf play-testers for this project.

To qualify as a play-tester you need to meet the following guidelines:

1. Own the box-set or at least a PDF of it. (You'll need it as a reference.)
2. Have a group of players that meet fairly regularly to spring this on.
3. Provide timely feedback on suggestions, play results, etc.

I plan on releasing a new level of the castle (for play-test) about every 2-3 weeks over the next 15 months or so before working it into a final product for public release.

If you are interested in joining the team the PM me here or shoot me a email at bwatford19@gmail.com

Thanks in advance for your time.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: 5e Conversion looking for play-testers.

Post by GnomeBoy »

...is this a fan thing you're planning to release for free?

Have you checked with GG? They may be interested in a conversion, if someone's willing to do the work, who knows?
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
bwatford
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by bwatford »

I have sent a message to info@goodman-games.com about it and wanted to get them in on the marketing effort.

My ultimate goal is to re-release the entire PDF reformatted and converted to 5e. (Which I am already doing as I convert each level.)
Also fixing all the directional description mistakes and the maps as I go as well, which plagued the original release.
With the amount of work going into this project I believe it deserves a full release without someone having to own the old PDF to use the new conversion documents.
Of course this will need GG's approval and a deal worked out on any shares of sales profits from it.

If GG is not down to market the conversion then the conversion documents will be sold on the DMSGUILD for those who already own the PDF or box set.

Currently I have the first three levels already completed and completely reformatted if GG wanted to take a peek and what is going into them.

Working on putting together a team of play testers now since there is a lot of new monsters being created for the set.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Well, I'd think if they are not down for it, then you can't just go around selling it. It is their IP, after all.

But I suppose that's between you and them.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
bwatford
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by bwatford »

GnomeBoy wrote:Well, I'd think if they are not down for it, then you can't just go around selling it. It is their IP, after all.

But I suppose that's between you and them.
That was not my intention, I think you confused what I meant.

Without an agreement with GG then I would only release the conversion document, (5e converted monsters, dc's and treasure) with numbered locations which would be solely my content.

However without someone owning the box set or the pdf from GG then it would be unusable as a stand alone product. No repeated context or descriptions or maps etc. Basically a bunch of stat blocks and numbers.

Hopefully however, we will get GG on board once they see the product.
PeelSeel2
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by PeelSeel2 »

You still working on this project? I am running Castle Whiterock (again) with the 5e ruleset.
johnkzin
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Black Diamond Games, in Concord CA

Post by johnkzin »

Any status on this?
bwatford
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by bwatford »

Yep, I have the first 4 levels and sub levels completed (and now play-tested) but the project got put on the back burner after sending GG a message hoping for their support and backing and did not receive a reply.

Was hoping with GG's support we could have released an official 5e conversion PDF of just the 5e crunch (still requiring the original set or PDF of course) but apparently it wasn't meant to be.

Return to “Castle Whiterock”